DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   weird "virus immunity" E-mail from DVDTalk-esque E-mail address (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/256323-weird-virus-immunity-e-mail-dvdtalk-esque-e-mail-address.html)

Hoonster 12-09-02 02:30 AM

weird "virus immunity" E-mail from DVDTalk-esque E-mail address

Today, I got this E-mail:

Sent: Monday, December 9, 2002 2:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Worm Klez.E immunity

Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.
Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.
We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.
NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
If you have any question,please mail to me.

I instantly thought of Static Cling, but I doubt he has anything to do with this. In fact, I'm not even really sure what this is... spam? someone else has the worm and is sending out these E-mails? something else?

Copenhagen 12-09-02 02:32 AM

My guess is Frankie was messing around with Static's email ;)

Dead 12-09-02 07:53 AM

Re: weird "virus immunity" E-mail from DVDTalk-esque E-mail address

Originally posted by Hoonster
Today, I got this E-mail:

Sent: Monday, December 9, 2002 2:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Worm Klez.E immunity

Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.
Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.
We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.
NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
If you have any question,please mail to me.

I instantly thought of Static Cling, but I doubt he has anything to do with this. In fact, I'm not even really sure what this is... spam? someone else has the worm and is sending out these E-mails? something else?

What you have there isn't SPAM. Instead, it appears that an infected system has sent you a virus infected E-Mail. Note that this virus modifies the "From" field by selecting an E-Mail address from the infected individual's address book. So, it is likely NOT Static Cling that is infected, but instead, someone who has SC in their address book.

You can read more abut this here... http://[email protected]

Static Cling 12-09-02 09:32 AM

Oh, cool, you got my e-mail!

Just kidding... this was not sent by me. I've gotten similar/identical e-mails that are spoofed to look like they're coming from Geoff, someone from HTF or The Digital Bits, or other people.

My suggestion... if you see an e-mail that is >50k from a DVD Talk Mod/Admin (or anyone else, for that matter), and you weren't expecting them to send you any sort of attachment, I'd just delete it. I use Hotmail, so part of me thinks that I'm immune since the e-mail isn't really reaching my computer (not sure how accurate this is), but that's what I've been doing.

Bushdog 12-09-02 04:24 PM

Cute move by the scammer, to spoof a respected member of the community.

Hoonster 12-09-02 04:28 PM

The thing is, there was no attachment... just that text. I know that these worms usually send out E-mails with attachments that, when run, infect your computer, but this E-mail didn't have one, which is why it struck me as odd.

Static Cling 12-09-02 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
Cute move by the scammer, to spoof a respected member of the community.
You must mean Geoff and not me. :)

Hoonster sez
The thing is, there was no attachment... just that text. I know that these worms usually send out E-mails with attachments that, when run, infect your computer, but this E-mail didn't have one, which is why it struck me as odd.
Yep, that's what my e-mails have looked like. No attachments as far as I could see, just a few lines of text and a message size of around 100-150k. *shrug* I'm as baffled as you.

Dead 12-10-02 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Hoonster
It's possible that your mail provider runs a virus check on all messages. If so, then it may have removed the attachments and sent you only the text.