DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   4-letter minimum search? What the hell? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/254838-4-letter-minimum-search-what-hell.html)

deformity 12-02-02 06:31 PM

4-letter minimum search? What the hell?

Something needs to be done about the "4-letter minimum per word" deal in the search feature. This makes it impossible to search for many movies.

The Antipodean 12-02-02 06:35 PM

Take a look at this nifty "Feedback" forum we have and you'll find a thread about this subject already going on....

deformity 12-02-02 07:08 PM

sorry, thanx

RandyC 12-02-02 07:09 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. The issue here is server load. The number of hits on a 3 character search is huge compared to a min 4 characters.

I am curious, how many movies will fail a four character min search string? I can think of a couple off the top of my head.

Static Cling 12-02-02 07:10 PM

XXX & Red are two that come to mind right away. Makes it hard to search for certain TV shows, too, like 24 and Ed.

Here's a similar thread, by the way: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=search

Scott27 12-02-02 07:22 PM

UHF (one of my personal favorites, so the first that popped into my head).

RandyC 12-02-02 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
XXX & Red are two that come to mind right away.
:) Those were the two I was thinking of. Of course, a search for XXX might bring up other results, as will anything with the word red. Maybe searching on Tres or Rouge or Kieslowski or ?? instead of Red.

XXX, I have no idea.

24 and Ed point out that even 3 letters will restrict things. But a search for anything with ed in it will cause a lot of database searching and generate a lot of results I think.

Static Cling 12-02-02 07:38 PM

Originally posted by RandyC
24 and Ed point out that even 3 letters will restrict things. But a search for anything with ed in it will cause a lot of database searching and generate a lot of results I think.
Actually, I think wildcard-searching is disabled as well.

(Not sure if that's what you meant or not.)

kbjorn 12-02-02 08:11 PM

I tried Much Ado About Nothing a few days ago and posted my problem about this...will there be a solution- or will it be a cross to bear??

:-)

X 12-02-02 08:30 PM

I want a one letter search. I can't even find my own posts!

mmguen 12-02-02 08:31 PM

I had trouble with Midnight Run... just using "midnight" brings up a variety of responses!

RandyC 12-02-02 08:44 PM

Originally posted by mmguen
I had trouble with Midnight Run... just using "midnight" brings up a variety of responses!
Oh, does that mean you can't use ANY 3 letter words as part of your search string? Yikes.... that is suck.

P.S. Static, yeah I was not thinking of variables, just all the uses if someone was named ed.

Blade 12-02-02 08:51 PM

Originally posted by mmguen
You need to think of unique words that are likely to show up with the movie or subject in question. In this case midnight deniro would probably work.

It can also help to make sure you specify a specific forum and specify a time frame if you're looking for more recent information.

X, if you click on that little search icon right over every single one of your posts, it will bring up a list of all your posts still on the board.

:p

As is probably noted in the above linked thread (if it's the most recent discussion thread) there's also a ten character limit on words. I tried doing a search on Philadelphia for the Philadelphia Story DVD yesterday and had to go with using story hepburn stewart instead. Found a thread too.

Use as few search words as possible too.

And yes, wildcards are off, regardless of what it says on the search page.

It would be nice if the search engine could be made more flexible, but we should try to remember that this is a limitation of resources, not just because Geoff's trying to make our lives more difficult! :D

antennaball 12-02-02 08:53 PM

the 3-letter restriction killed my searches for 'Ice Age'. :)

AndyCapps 12-02-02 08:58 PM

My search for Farm Aid hit a few snags.

Wizdar 12-03-02 08:54 AM

Search is so jacked up you can’t believe it. In fact, you can’t believe the results, or lack of them.

As noted in this post:

Originally posted by DodgingCars
strange I did a search on Taken and it gave me no results.
Now, given that maybe a mistake was made in his search, one would expect that “Taken” would now show up in a search, n’est ce pas?? I mean, it's more than 4 and less than 10...

It don’t. Go 'head, try it.

It’s BROKE! How many times do I have to post this? :grunt:

It’s broke.

Adam Tyner 12-03-02 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
It’s BROKE! How many times do I have to post this? :grunt:
Broken. ;) Out of curiosity, what do you want Geoff to do? It's not like he programmed the forum software himself. vBulletin 2.2.9 was released on 11/18 (DVD Talk uses 2.2.8), and the only modification made to search functionality was unrelated to the topic at hand. The developers of vBulletin are aware that there are substantial problems with the way searching is currently implemented, and they're rewriting search functionality from the bottom-up for vBulletin 3.0. That's still a ways off for public consumption, however.

Perhaps if Geoff were to rebuild the keyword index, that would help matters, but that would drag the site down to a crawl while doing so.

Static Cling 12-03-02 09:46 AM

We've read your posts, Wizdar... well, at least I have. I've had some trouble searching for certain words as well. Geoff's a busy guy... maybe you could drop him an e-mail about the problem. He's more likely to see that than a post on the forum.

Wizdar 12-03-02 10:03 AM

Originally posted by ctyner
Out of curiosity, what do you want Geoff to do?
Well, that's not any more helpful than my comment(s), is it? I clearly don't have any idea what needs to be done/can be done, so what would you have me say?

When I see mods and admins just as confused as me...

And thanks for the grammer lesson. -rolleyes-

Adam Tyner 12-03-02 10:12 AM

Well, that's not any more helpful than my comment(s), is it?
I thought I did a relatively decent job explaining the situation. At least if you didn't know where things stood before, you do now.

And thanks for the grammer lesson. -rolleyes-
No problem! It's grammar, incidentally.

RandyC 12-03-02 11:49 AM

I think ctyner's point is very apt. The issue of restricting the search to n characters is a dvdtalk option and intended to deal with server load issues. The issue of the search software not working is not a dvdtalk issue and is a Vbb issue.

And since Ver 3.0 is now in beta and coming soon, I think the real answer is to work around the software and do the best we can until ver 3 is installed.

Bushdog 12-03-02 11:56 AM

I say we should eliminate searches with vowels.

RandyC 12-03-02 12:10 PM

Solve two problems. Make users buy vowels. :)

Wizdar 12-03-02 12:50 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
I thought I did a relatively decent job explaining the situation. At least if you didn't know where things stood before, you do now.
Well, I already knew where I stood. But it doesn’t help my lack of understanding.

First, I think it’s quite rude to constantly correct one’s spelling and grammar. Peroid. Arrogance seems to me to be nonproductive.

Second, discussing the differences between v.X.x and v.Y.x is only useful if one knows what those differences are. Just how many folks are fully versed in the workings of vBulletin, or whatever the software involved is? If we were that knowledgeable, there wouldn’t be a discussion.

Perhaps you could explain why a common word like “taken” yields no results whereas “geof*” (asterisk NOT wildcard) will provide results. Is “geof*” on that keyword list? How did it get there?

I suppose you could call it a threadcrap, if you want to continue to be combative about this. But it still remains that there are problems, and helping us to understand how to get around them could be a better use of space.

Or, maybe I should start a new thread for that purpose?

Adam Tyner 12-03-02 01:14 PM

Well, I already knew where I stood. But it doesn’t help my lack of understanding.
Well, that's why I posted.

First, I think it’s quite rude to constantly correct one’s spelling and grammar. Peroid.
I think you mean perio...oh, nevermind. :) I was just kidding the first time around, and the second was just a friendly jab since you made a spelling error when complaining about my previous correction.

Second, discussing the differences between v.X.x and v.Y.x is only useful if one knows what those differences are.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I was simply pointing out that although there is a newer version of the software available, it wouldn't address the problem at hand. Geoff is doing the best he can in this respect.

Perhaps you could explain why a common word like “taken” yields no results whereas “geof*” (asterisk NOT wildcard) will provide results. Is “geof*” on that keyword list? How did it get there?
The explanation is: vBulletin's search functionality is faulty. This has been mentioned in previous threads, and there's nothing Geoff can do about it aside from upgrading when the new version of the software is available. He's said as much in the past, and I'd post a link to the thread if I could find it. :D

But it still remains that there are problems, and helping us to understand how to get around them could be a better use of space.
There's not a solution other than "waiting" and possibly the resource-intensive task of rebuilding the keywords table.

If you have complaints about vBulletin's search functionality, a more effective place to do so would be at http://www.vbulletin.com/