DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   You got to be kidding me (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/253184-you-got-kidding-me.html)

McHawkson 11-24-02 08:58 PM

You got to be kidding me

http://www.homestead.com/McHawkson/f...DTalkSTTNG.jpg

Star Trek: The Next Generation is a movie? I thought they're from TV show.

joltaddict 11-24-02 09:32 PM

All of the reviews use that.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4819

Youre easily shocked.

McHawkson 11-24-02 09:38 PM

Yeah, but they should change that word. "Movie" doesn't make sense with TV shows.

GeoffK 11-24-02 11:16 PM

Too complex to do given the structure of the DB.

McHawkson 11-24-02 11:29 PM

DB? As database?

AndyCapps 11-24-02 11:37 PM

No. DB as in Discount Busporter. It's a cheaper/more portable version of the transporter.

joltaddict 11-24-02 11:39 PM

I cant really see anybody getting confused over this.

McHawkson 11-24-02 11:42 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Come on, I'm picky! :p

das Monkey 11-25-02 12:02 AM

Are there moving pictures? Then it's a "movie." You wanna get picky ... I can get picky. :)

das

McHawkson 11-25-02 12:19 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Are there moving pictures? Then it's a "movie." You wanna get picky ... I can get picky. :)

das

Wrong. Why did we get TV Talk and Movie Talk?

Suppose I post something relate to TV show in Movie Talk and the mods move it to TV Talk. ;)

GeoffK 11-25-02 12:51 AM

Originally posted by McHawkson
Come on, I'm picky! :p
I have to say, a little too picky in this case...

das Monkey 11-25-02 08:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth McHawkson •<HR SIZE=1>Wrong. Why did we get TV Talk and Movie Talk?

Suppose I post something relate to TV show in Movie Talk and the mods move it to TV Talk. ;)
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice try ...

The two are not mutually exclusive. While not a complete superset, Movie Talk occupies a higher level of classification than TV Talk. There are many subjects that would be appropriate discussion in either forum, but since TV Talk is the more narrow classification, the posts should reside there. All the forums on DVD Talk work that way. There are many topics of discussion that would be appropriate in multiple forums, but for organization, we post in the Forum that matches the subject matter on the most levels. As there is no separate organizational section for TV reviews, classifying it as a Movie is both accurate and acceptable. While episodic in form and broadcast over television, it's still a Movie (defined as moving pictures ... single frames rapidly shown one after another to create the illusion of motion), just not a theatrical one.

das

;)

vaporware 11-25-02 08:56 AM

Re: You got to be kidding me

Originally posted by McHawkson
http://www.homestead.com/McHawkson/f...DTalkSTTNG.jpg

Star Trek: The Next Generation is a movie? I thought they're from TV show.

That's not shocking, what is, is the fact that this was rated as a movie.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/battlefieldearth.jpg

Alyoshka 11-25-02 09:19 AM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Wait, didn't you see the first post in this thread? :confused: ;)

The Bus 11-25-02 09:39 AM

I like how there's Buy Me links even with bad reviews...

das Monkey 11-25-02 09:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth The Bus •<HR SIZE=1>I like how there's Buy Me links even with bad reviews... <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

A review is but one opinion. To not offer Buy Me links would be forcing the reviewer's opinion on the DVD Talk community, and my guess is that would piss people off.

das

McHawkson 11-25-02 09:55 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth McHawkson •<HR SIZE=1>Wrong. Why did we get TV Talk and Movie Talk?

<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice try ...

The two are not mutually exclusive. While not a complete superset, Movie Talk occupies a higher level of classification than TV Talk. There are many subjects that would be appropriate discussion in either forum, but since TV Talk is the more narrow classification, the posts should reside there. All the forums on DVD Talk work that way. There are many topics of discussion that would be appropriate in multiple forums, but for organization, we post in the Forum that matches the subject matter on the most levels. As there is no separate organizational section for TV reviews, classifying it as a Movie is both accurate and acceptable. While episodic in form and broadcast over television, it's still a Movie (defined as moving pictures ... single frames rapidly shown one after another to create the illusion of motion), just not a theatrical one.

das

;)

:lol:

Nice agrument. :p

Adam Tyner 11-25-02 09:56 AM

Originally posted by The Bus
I like how there's Buy Me links even with bad reviews...
Reviewers have nothing to do with cover art or affiliate links.

As far as the text "M O V I E" appearing in reviews of TV sets, it's there for two reasons:

1) When I wrote the current review software, I used the same labels as the existing software.

2) Requiring reviewers to come up with arbitrary tags for each review is silly, and "M O V I E" sounds better than "C O N T E N T" or whatever.

I guess a third reason would be "In three years of various bits of review software being up, this is the first complaint about that label. The original poster seems to be complaining not because he finds it confusing, but rather because he seems to want to complain about something."

Bandoman 11-25-02 10:08 AM

Okay, now I'm confused. Can I still watch my copy of ST:TNG Season 5 if I bought it thinking it was a television show, when it is clearly labeled a movie? Do I have to watch all of the "episodes" in one sitting? Can I take bathroom and beverage breaks?

McHawkson 11-25-02 10:08 AM

Oh, no, I'm not complaining, it's just that it's looked funny.

Bushdog 11-25-02 01:41 PM

They're not movies, so much as talkies.

jfoobar 11-25-02 06:02 PM

I'm sorry, did you want the five-minute argument or the full half-hour?

das Monkey 11-25-02 06:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth JustinS •<HR SIZE=1>I'm sorry, did you want the five-minute argument or the full half-hour? <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was looking for "Being Hit on the Head Lessons." I know it's around here somewhere.

das

P.S. No it isn't

The Antipodean 11-26-02 05:34 PM

Picky picky picky.

bboisvert 11-27-02 04:41 PM

The other day in Best Buy, I asked where the TV shows were. The employee pointed toward the back of the store and said "Movies are back there."

I got confused, started crying, and punched him.