DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Question regarding censorship and my Kobe thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/249479-question-regarding-censorship-my-kobe-thread.html)

El Scorcho 11-08-02 04:31 PM

Question regarding censorship and my Kobe thread

Thread title changed from:

"Pass the frickin ball, Kobe"

to

"Pass the ball, kobe"

I wasn't aware that "frickin" was profanity. I don't really care about the thread title since it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious about an explanation, that's all.

(Btw, since it's probably an explanation that should be seen by others, I chose not to email a mod)

Thanks,
ES

Blade 11-09-02 04:00 AM

Didn't do it myself, but I would assume the following would cover it:

Frickin is a euphamism for a word that is blocked by our forum censor. We're particularly sentitive about swearing in the thread titles. We tend to edit out things like WTF too.

Hence the edit.

Also, from the forum rules:
The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum ...:
• Posting any profanity (harsh or mild) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT of your post.

jfoobar 11-09-02 04:42 AM

Pretty casual use of the word "censorship", isn't it?

benedict 11-09-02 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Blade
[....] from the forum rules: [....]
There are <i>rules</i>?

Perhaps we need a link to those on the front page.

;)

Aghama 11-09-02 10:09 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
No.

El Scorcho 11-09-02 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Blade
Didn't do it myself, but I would assume the following would cover it:

Frickin is a euphamism for a word that is blocked by our forum censor. We're particularly sentitive about swearing in the thread titles. We tend to edit out things like WTF too.

Hence the edit.

Also, from the forum rules:
The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum ...:
• Posting any profanity (harsh or mild) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT of your post.

Fair enough explanation, I suppose.

But elimination of "frickin" also requires the removal of "dang", "heck", "squat" (when used like "... doesn't know squat"), and so on. As you can see, there is an abundance of words out there that are euphemisms for other more vulgar words and well, it begins to appear a little silly to begin removing those words from thread titles.

I can understand the reasoning behind being more strict with profanity and almost-profanity in thread titles (and I do agree with some of them), but I can't say that I believe someone would log onto a message board and go running for the hills if they saw the occassional "frickin", "dang", or "heck" in a thread title.

Just some feedback for you. :)

RandyC 11-09-02 02:25 PM

Oh my heck!

Definitely a judgement call. I would not censor dang or squat. Frikin is worse IMO if one was to rate the words.

For one, dang replaces damn... and I would not even censor Damn...if we did, we would have to lose user Damn_Skippy. Hmm...

Anyway, damn is not as bad as the f bomb, so frickin is worse than damn or squat IMO. Also, the word frickin is also less used as stand alone among people in my experience.

Still, would I censor the word? Probably not. Like I said, it's a gray area. We want to keep the thread titles clean. I removed the word blowjob today from a J-Lo thread. It's not an outright profanity (I think), but it fails the "my wife or boss looked over my shoulder" test.

Josh H 11-09-02 07:47 PM

I think censoring frickin is taking it a little far.

When I see fricking, I just read it as is. I don't read or think f***ing.

With WTF, I read and think, What The F***. So I don't think it's the same issue.

It just seems silly to censor soming as innocent as frickin on a forum where the vast majority of members are over 18 and I've never encountered a member younger than 15. Not to mention there's a mature forum with nude photos and such.

But it is a private forum, and it's Geoff's to run as he sees fit obviously. The mods should just get his opinion on the use of frickin and do whatever he wishes with it.

MJKTool 11-09-02 08:18 PM

Censoring "frickin"..... geez what is this the 2nd grade.

joshd2012 11-09-02 08:48 PM

MY VIRGIN EARS!

RandyC 11-10-02 12:03 AM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Sometimes.

It has always been policy to keep thread titles cleaner for appearances sake. Consider it like we are putting slip covers on the threads of Other.

AndyCapps 11-10-02 12:49 AM

I must be missing something. There still seems to be a profane word that means cocky ******* in that thread title.

El Scorcho 11-10-02 02:21 AM

While we're on the subject, can someone change my name to "El Frickin' Scorcho"?

Thanks. :)

das Monkey 11-10-02 02:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth AndyCapps •<HR SIZE=1>I must be missing something. There still seems to be a profane word that means cocky ******* in that thread title. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

:lol:

In other news, since we all know everything relates back to television (in my twisted little world), the Trio Channel will be running specials on censorship in entertainment all weekend. There are some great specials on the history of censorship in art and television and media. It's always fun to watch to evolution of our own hypocrisy, as we arbitrarily deem some things offensive while ignoring other equal, and often more harsh, forms of expression.

This has been a Public Service Anouncement from the "Yes, There's ALWAYS Something Good on TV" Foundation.

das

classicman2 11-10-02 08:29 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
Perhaps you can come up with a better word?

It's censorship. One can argue whether it's justified or not, but it doesn't change the fact that it is censorship.

xmiyux 11-10-02 03:39 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
If you've been in the Other forum much you would realize - yes, yes it is the 2nd grade. And that is on a good day. RandyC luckily realizes this as well.

El Scorcho 11-10-02 08:12 PM

Well if this is 2nd grade, then I demand for a damn swing set to be built in other. Get crackin, fellas.

The Cow 11-10-02 08:45 PM

Just curious why this title is any different... The filter wasn't used to blank it out, and it is pretty obvious what was meant...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249784

X 11-10-02 10:25 PM

Originally posted by The Cow
Just curious why this title is any different... The filter wasn't used to blank it out, and it is pretty obvious what was meant...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249784

Thanks for the heads up! Sometimes those just slip by.

I changed the "#&!*%/$*" to the much more boss/family friendly "%$#*@!"

namja 11-11-02 02:12 AM

"guilty party" checking in

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I wasn't aware that "frickin" was profanity. I don't really care about the thread title since it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious about an explanation, that's all.
I'm glad that you don't really care about the title. And you shouldn't. Since it really isn't a frickin' big deal. -wink-

Anyway, Randyc pointed out everything I really wanted to say. Especially the trying to "keep thread titles cleaner for appearances sake" part. If the word was really that offensive, then the subject in the original post would have been edited too(your original post still has the word frickin in it as the post subject). But as you can see, it wasn't.

Maybe the next time, I'll let it go. And if I do, hopefully it won't be made into a big deal ... because really, it's not a big deal.

LurkerDan 11-11-02 11:16 AM

Originally posted by X
Thanks for the heads up! Sometimes those just slip by.

I changed the "#&!*%/$*" to the much more boss/family friendly "%$#*@!"

:lol: