DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   signature more than 5 lines long (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/246632-signature-more-than-5-lines-long.html)

mookiemeister 10-28-02 11:02 AM

signature more than 5 lines long

Hi,

I've recently received an email from a moderator stating that my signature is too long and is breaking the rule. I looked at the rules and have copied the relevant section of the rules here:

Signature lengths greater than five (5) lines. As a courtesy to fellow users utilizing low screen resolutions and/or slow Internet connection speeds, those users who append signatures to their forum posts must keep the total length of their signature to a length of five lines or less.

Now, my sig has exactly 5 lines, but due to the fact that some people have lower resultion screen and/or use larger font size, the lines may wrap. Now the rule doesn't say what the resolution and font size requirement for the non-wrap. Should I be required to design my sig to fit exactly 5 lines for every possible resolution and font size imaginable? Or is my sig within the stated rules.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Note: There is an option on browser menu that allow the user to change the font size. On IE6, it's under View->Text Size. Changing this text size will make my sig either wrap or not wrap. So it's pretty much user dependent. How do I design my sig to make them immune to text size changed by user?

AndyCapps 10-28-02 11:09 AM

This would be best taken up through email with the moderator who emailed you. I count 5 lines at 1024X768, which I interpet as being ok.

mookiemeister 10-28-02 11:36 AM

Thanks for your response. I did email a reply back to the moderator who sent the complaint. But I wanted some feedback from other people since the rule is kinda vague.

Do you use IE6? If so, try go to View->Text Size->Largest. Then set your screen to 1024x768. I bet it will cause my sig to wrap. My secondary question was whether there is a way to force the sig to a fixed font that is immutable to changes made by the user through their browser.

Aghama 10-28-02 11:45 AM

I don't remember what the ruling was on the resolution, but I do know that Yoda didn't use contractions.

Blade 10-28-02 12:10 PM

The FAQ thread in this forum, goes into a little more detail:

SIGNATURES
Sorry, but no images allowed. We do allow the use of forum smilies however.

Also, no HTML.

So to put a link in your signature, type the following:

[.url=http://www.yourlinkhere.com]your text here[/url]

but without the period after the first bracket (which is there so you can see the code).

There's also a five line limit on signatures. That includes empty lines. It's also based on a maximized browser window at 1024x768 screen resolution, with no child windows (like search or bookmarks) open.

If you see a violation, please just use the Report this post to a Moderator feature. Part of the reason we're asking for this is to cut down on bandwidth usage, so making a seperate post just to point out that someone's sig is too long sort of defeats that purpose. Thanks.
To address your question about text sizes...I assumed it would be understood that it would be based on the default browser settings...I'll probably add something to make that more clear, but your sig looks fine to me.

mookiemeister 10-28-02 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
I don't remember what the ruling was on the resolution, but I do know that Yoda didn't use contractions.
Ah, thanks. I fixed it now.

mookiemeister 10-28-02 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Blade
The FAQ thread in this forum, goes into a little more detail:

To address your question about text sizes...I assumed it would be understood that it would be based on the default browser settings...I'll probably add something to make that more clear, but your sig looks fine to me.

Ok. Thanks for the pointer. It does look like the FAQ describe the rule in more detail. The implied 'default browser setting' is cool with me. Hopefully people using Netscape and other browsers have defaults similar to what's in IE6 or I might get more complaints later on.

mikehunt 10-28-02 09:57 PM

if it matters
I have dial up, it's wrapping, but I like the sig
IE 5, text is set on larger
computer is at 1024x768 but my browser windows are at 960x696

G. Noel Gross 10-30-02 03:13 PM

I vote we cut it to two lines and get to the goldang point.

Blake 10-31-02 12:20 AM

Are my two lines fine? :)

POWERBOMB 11-01-02 12:03 AM

I see your sig as 8 lines long. But I'm too lazy to change the settings and don't care enough to read your sig cuz' it has too many words. :D

Thunderball 11-01-02 05:52 PM

tl;dr