DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Moving around this forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/241806-moving-around-forum.html)

FrostyLizard 10-07-02 08:49 AM

Moving around this forum

I cant seem to figure out how to get back to a specific page without making three or four moves. Example: If Im on page 6 reading a thread and deceide to post a response, after posting you get taken right to your response. No matter how many times I hit the back button (arrow) I get taken to my response. I have to go to the bottom of the page and hit the forum jump GO button to get back to page 1 of the forum. Then , if I was on page 6, I have to go to the bottom of the page on click on page 3, because 1,2 and 3 are the only pages showing, wait for page 3 to load and then click on 6. If I was on page 7 I then have to wait for 6 to load before I can click on seven because it only shows three pages at a time. Surely there is a better way to do this, but I have not been able to figure it out so I just grit my teeth and do it the way Ive been doing. Is there an easier way Im just missing? Why wont the back arrow take me back to where I was? Ive never been on a wab site where the back arrow works like this and keeps taking you back to the page you posted, not to where the page you posted from. Its very time consuming as I dont have DSL yet(Hopefully soon!)

shill66 10-07-02 11:29 AM

One way is to click back TWICE, quickly. Just try to be careful about accidentally making duplicate posts.

JuryDuty 10-07-02 11:42 AM

This might be better asked in the Forum Issues forum...

milo bloom 10-07-02 12:05 PM

I'm using IE 5.5, and what I use after posting, is to use the little pulldown arrow next to the back arrow. It lists the last 9-10 pages, just go back 2-3 and click on it.

pdjennings 10-07-02 12:11 PM

the "bread crumbs" thing at the top of every page is quite easy to use....

For example... this page says:

DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support > Moving around this forum

You can easily go back to whatever page you want there....

Or... better still... the little "Forum Jump" drop-menu at the bottom of every page is quite easy to use.

succubiss 10-07-02 12:20 PM

Right click the back arrow in your IE navigation bar, and select the page you want to go to.

Blade 10-07-02 01:18 PM

FYI, what your experiencing is the automatic forwarding done by the "Thank you for posting" page. If you hit the back button one time, you go back to this page and it will automatically forward you to your post again.

That's why you have to hit the back button twice quickly to get past that.

As noted above, both Netscape and Internet Explorer browsers have back buttons that will display a list of the last pages you visited. Activating that will allow you to pick the page you want to go back to and avoids all the extra clicking.

Alternatively, pdjennings' suggestion is even faster and easier.

I use a variety of these when I browse, depending on what's easiest. Although, what I do most often is just use the ALT-left cursor arrow combination 3 times as soon as I see the "Thank you for posting" screen.

Hope some of the above suggestions help.

-David

Bandoman 10-07-02 01:37 PM

ALT-F4 works well too.

FrostyLizard 10-08-02 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will give them a try. Anything to save time and avoid all the clicking!

Jackskeleton 10-08-02 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
ALT-F4 works well too.
You miss those good ol' aol chat room days, don't you? ;)

falken 10-14-02 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You miss those good ol' aol chat room days, don't you? ;)
Personally I miss the old IRC days when you could tell someone to type, /exec rm -rf /* :)