Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Moving music DVD's from main forum to music forum

Old 09-27-02, 11:27 PM

Moving music DVD's from main forum to music forum

I thought it was DVDTalk's policy to move all music related DVD's from DVDTalk to Music Talk...or has this been changed recently?

I know every thread I ever started about music DVD's were moved to music talk but I've noticed that hasn't happened with all of them. One in particular, a David Bowie thread, has been on DVD Talk for a while now without a hint of a move (and now a Depeche Mode one has been posted.)

So....why haven't they been moved yet? Has the policy been changed or is this favoritism? (Mod: "Hmm, I love Bowie so this one can stay where the most people can read it. I hate Queen, this sucker is going away!")
Old 09-27-02, 11:45 PM
X
Administrator

Drat! I hate it when people figure out that we only move threads due to favoritism!

It's obvious that you haven't been paying your share of payola to the moderators. Until you pony up I'm afraid you'll keep receiving this totally unfair treatment.
Old 09-28-02, 01:11 AM

While I was using some humor in my original post, I do think it'd be nice for some clarification on the subject.
Old 09-28-02, 06:40 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by evilbaby
While I was using some humor in my original post, I do think it'd be nice for some clarification on the subject.
Well, I personally like Queen a lot more than Bowie, so it's not my fault!

I took a brief look at the two threads you mentioned (Bowie and Depeche Mode) and their intent is to announce DVD release information, moreso than to discuss the music on them. That seems to be in keeping with our current policy.

I scanned the last 10 days worth of threads in the Main forum, and the only one moved to Music Talk (that I saw) was someone asking for concert DVD recommendations, and that seems appropriate to me too (we often move movie suggestion requests to Movie Talk).

Here's Static's (one of the Main forum mods) take on our Music DVD policy: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=227066

And here's where Randy stated our current policy: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...13#post1777513

If you have some specific Queen threads (or other music DVD related threads) where you question why they were moved, I imagine we would be better able to address your concerns.

However, I would point out that moving threads is not an exact science. And especially with music DVDs, it can get a little blurry as to which side of the line they should be on. Add in the fact that you have multiple mods (and pesky free wheeling Admins! ) interpreting these rules, and you will find the occassional contradiction here and there.

By the way, I am willing to take my payollla in the form of Amazon GCs.
Old 09-28-02, 02:18 PM

Well don't you think it would be better if there was one be-all and end-all rule for music related DVD's? Either they get to stay in DVDTalk or must be in 'Music'. As I've said before, a DVD is a DVD regardless of content.

I've started a thread or 2 about 'The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert' DVD, posting information about it's release and such but that was moved yet you (Blade) state that the Bowie thread stayed where it is because it's intent was to discuss a Bowie disc. So, am I missing out on something here?

As for specific threads, there are too many to list right here BUT if you do a simple search for "Queen" or "Freddie Mercury" in the music forum, you'll see several threads that really should be in the DVD forum ("We Will Rock You" special edition DVD, FULL SPECS!", etc)

It seems this "open to interpretation" rule causes more confusion than anything.

Last edited by evilbaby; 09-28-02 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-28-02, 03:33 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by evilbaby
Well don't you think it would be better if there was one be-all and end-all rule for music related DVD's? Either they get to stay in DVDTalk or must be in 'Music'. As I've said before, a DVD is a DVD regardless of content.
The current policy is not really any different than how we treat movies. DVD release info, disc specific information goes in the Main forum, discussion about the movie itself goes in Movie Talk.

The only difference is that we're making distinctions between movie-like music DVDs, and concert/music performance related DVDs, with the former going in either Main or Movie Talk, and the latter going to Music Talk, unless it's related to release information.
I've started a thread or 2 about 'The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert' DVD, posting information about it's release and such but that was moved yet you (Blade) state that the Bowie thread stayed where it is because it's intent was to discuss a Bowie disc. So, am I missing out on something here?
Well, I actually said the Bowie thread stayed because the threads were intended to announce DVD release information. By that meaure, your threads shouldn't have been moved. However, when did you post these threads? I did a quick check over the last 3 months or so and I didn't see any Freddie Mercury threads moved to Music Talk.
As for specific threads, there are too many to list right here BUT if you do a simple search for "Queen" or "Freddie Mercury" in the music forum, you'll see several threads that really should be in the DVD forum ("We Will Rock You" special edition DVD, FULL SPECS!", etc)

It seems this "open to interpretation" rule causes more confusion than anything.
I've been going over our past posts on Music related DVDs, as well as checking some of the threads in Music Talk, and there does seem to be some confusion. And I don't really seem to be helping much ...here's the link to our most recent statement on Music DVDs, which supercede's Randy's post (which I'm now closing).

I'm going to try to clear some of this up in the Moderator's forum over the weekend, so give us a little time and we'll try to come up with a more coherent answer for you.
Old 09-28-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blade
However, I would point out that moving threads is not an exact science...
This says it all! If somebody had a question about a graphing calculator or a PDA, where would it go? Other or Computer forum? Tough call. I still think the mods sometimes just flip a coin to decide.
Old 09-29-02, 02:07 PM

Ok Blade, I appreciate you looking into this further.

The only difference is that we're making distinctions between movie-like music DVDs, and concert/music performance related DVDs, with the former going in either Main or Movie Talk, and the latter going to Music Talk, unless it's related to release information.
What is a "movie-like music dvd"?
Old 09-29-02, 02:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'm not sure if this is what Blade means, but perhaps "movie-like music DVDs" are certain films like A Hard Day's Night or other musicals?
Old 09-29-02, 09:58 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Static Cling
I'm not sure if this is what Blade means, but perhaps "movie-like music DVDs" are certain films like A Hard Day's Night or other musicals?
Yes, that's what I meant. Music related features that aren't essentially concerts or music video compilations, like Hard Day's Night, Pink Floyd's the Wall.
Old 09-30-02, 02:11 PM

Blade, couldn't this thread;

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=queen

be moved back to the main DVD forum? It's intent is to "announce DVD release information" and not discuss the music contained. Wouldn't this be acceptable?