Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Entire forum gets mistakenly marked as "Read"

Old 09-27-02, 01:57 PM

Entire forum gets mistakenly marked as "Read"

This seems to happen after spending more than an hour or so on the forums...
I rely pretty heavily on the "Go to first unread message" link (or whatever it's called) when reading through the forums. Occasionally, and for now apparent reason, the forum resets itself and indicates that all messages have been read, which effectively removes the usefulness of the "first unread message" link (as they all show up as read).
Is this a common occurance, and does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can prevent this from happening? (I imagine it has something to do with the cookie stored on my end).
Thanks!
Old 09-27-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The forum assumes after a certain period of inactivity (customizable, I believe, but the default is 15 minutes if memory serves) that the user has read everything. I'm not sure if you fall under that banner, but if you're opening a bunch of windows at once, read those messages without any further clicking, and maybe step away from the computer for a minute or two, all of that combined could be the problem.

Edit -- yeah, the field is 'Timeout for Cookie' and is set in the vBulletin admin tool. The default is 900 seconds.
Old 09-27-02, 02:51 PM
Uber Member

Re: Entire forum gets mistakenly marked as "Read"

Originally posted by Geoff H
Is this a common occurance, and does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can prevent this from happening? (I imagine it has something to do with the cookie stored on my end).
Thanks!
ctyner pretty much covered the why above. What I do to keep this from happenning is to make sure I access the forum every 15 minutes. It usually takes a lot less than 15 minutes to read a page, so the problem usually comes in when you step away from the computer or take a long time to create a post.

For the latter problem, the best thing is just to have another window open and refresh it every ten minutes or so when you start working on a really long post.

Otherwise, if you look at the main forum listing page, in the upper right corner, the forum tells you when you last logged on to the forum. That will be the start time of your last session. I always try to make a mental note of that number when I start a forum check so that if the forum gets reset for me, I know what's the oldest posts I've already read. If it says 5 pm, for example, and then I log back in at 10pm, and then it resests at 10:20 because I got distracted, I know that when I come back, anything newer than 5pm is something I haven't read.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do. I don't know whether Geoff would be against lengthing the timeout reset.

-David
Old 09-28-02, 01:48 PM

Okay, thanks for the help, guys.

I suppose maybe if I know I'm going to be sitting a while on the same DVDtalk forum-page, I'll just give it a refresh, or hop on over to another forum and then back, to reset the last-activity time.

Although perhaps adjusting that cookie might be nice
Old 10-27-02, 03:15 PM

I'd like to bring this thread up again, and request a lengthening of the cookie-expirery time.
I understand how refreshing any of the main topic-listing pages in the forum resets the cookie, but it seems as though opening up the next page in a long thread (for example, moving on to Page 2, after finishing reading Page 1) doesn't seem to reset the cookies.
So, if you spend a fair bit of time reading a really long thread, with lots of posts, I often find that all other threads get marked as Read when I'm done. It's really annoying