Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

"Deals" that are just ripping companies off

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

"Deals" that are just ripping companies off

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Here are some posts from the MS thread (And yes I WAS going off memory)

Part Number X##-#####

Where the X is the letter 'X' and not a variable and the # is a number from 0-9.
Why would anyone need this if they HAD the mouse? Hi, here is a number you can make up and get the free mouse...

Told a neighbor about this free replacement mouse, and although they didn't own a microsoft optical mouse, they sent off for one. They now have a nice new microsoft optical mouse. So, to them this was a hot deal courtesy of dvdTalk.
It's nice that MS is willing to replace these mice, but a lot of people will use this to get a free mouse.
Aghama, my point is, that the threads point out specific ways to rip the companies off. Let's say the Mouse one required the photocopy of the bottom of the mouse...No problem, until someone posts a scan of the bottom. I know that's not what happened, but by posting that you don't need the photocopy, and here is what the number should look like...You are basically telling people how to get the stuff for free. Even if DTSC had said WOW I had a old mouse that was broken, and MS replaced it by calling this number, No problem. But to give instructions on how to get around it (here is the way the number looks) it's wrong. And I wasn't the only one in the thread that thought so.

And on a final note:
...then the bargains forums would be ghost towns.
That might not be such a bad thing. It would be left with the true bargains/coupons and not so many shady things. I wouldn't have to wade through all the posts to find a deal
Old 08-29-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what the bottom of my intellimouse looks like:

3882A611 LISTED Accessory ITE78CJ
PN X04-72167 Product ID 63618-OEM- 8854197-7 0100
Old 08-29-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
You have proven my point.
Old 08-29-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your point was that there are half a skajillion numbers on the bottom of the mouse, so that if you don't tell people what the format of the product number is going to be dozens of questions about which number is the right one? Yes it says "PN", but people are still going to ask, guaranteed. Should the post be edited to say to look for the number following "PN?" Perhaps, but all someone then has to do is go to a store and look at the bottom of a display model.

The fact is, you can't prevent people from abusing the system. But if there is sufficient legitimate use of the information, said information should not be censored.
Old 08-29-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exactly, Aghama.

I only pointed out the part number because there was a plethora of numbers on the underside of the mouse. I certainly do not see how my original posts encourages people to abuse the system. Others posted in the thread about how they abused the system, but the original post did not do any such thing.