Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

sports forum guidelines

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

sports forum guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
sports forum guidelines

I see the threads are being moved over to sports forum
but not all of them

where are the guidelines set?

originally, it sounded like we were planning on moving all sports related threads, sports collectibles, fantasy leagues (small ball), and general misc sports discussion threads.. but a quick scan of the front page of other, will show that some of these are not being moved..

if Im just jumping the gun, and the mods havent caught them all yet.. then ignore this
otherwise.. Im curious where the line is being drawn
Old 05-05-02, 11:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guidelines are a work in progress.

So far all I've done is go back about 4 pages of threads(the last couple of days) of Other and move some of the obvious ones. We(mods and admins) are discussing what goes where.

So in a way, yes, you are jumping the gun(from a where is the line drawn standpoint). Just because the Smallball and baseball card threads are still in Other doesn't mean they will stay there. Everything should be clear within a few days.
Old 05-06-02, 10:47 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: sports forum guidelines

Originally posted by twikoff
sports related threads, sports collectibles, fantasy leagues (small ball), and general misc sports discussion threads
You should see these threads in Sports Talk now. The other Other mods have moved many of them. I just scanned through the last 720 posts in Other(about 10 days worth) and moved several threads. I was going to go back about 30 days(about 2500 posts worth), but around the week mark I started running into threads that will more than likely not generate any further discussion(and I got tired).

So if anyone sees a sports related topic still in Other that they would like to discuss further, feel free to continue the discussion there(one of us will see that it is still generating discussion and move it to Sports). You can also use the "Report this post to a Moderator" link, but continuing the discussion in Other will be a better indication to us that the thread has life left in it.

Everyone, please do not see this as a challenge to seek out sports threads and bump(pad) them with something like, "Moving to Sports Talk" or "This should be in Sports". There are over 9600 threads in Other, and I've only looked over about 800. So I may have missed one or two sports threads. When we see something rise to the top because the discussion is being continued, we will move it to Sports Talk.
Old 05-07-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but could we get a "Forum Jump" to Sports? I don't particularly have a problem going through Other, but considering that bandwidth is a problem right now, it's a waste for me to display the front page of Otter a few hundred times a day, when I'm only passing through to get to Sports. Thanks.

das
Old 05-07-02, 09:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Use the dropdown on the bottom of the page. It's there.

Making a favorites or bookmark to it in your browser wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-07-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is wrestling consitered a sport or other?
Old 05-07-02, 05:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Is wrestling consitered a sport or other?
Wrestling goes in Sports Talk.
Old 05-07-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Use the dropdown on the bottom of the page. It's there.

Making a favorites or bookmark to it in your browser wouldn't hurt either.
i know it doesnt make any sense.. but that drop down at the bottom, only works about 70% for me.. the rest of the time, it takes me back to the dvdtalk front page
I havent noticed the common circumstances for when it does it yet
Old 05-07-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

i know it doesnt make any sense.. but that drop down at the bottom, only works about 70% for me.. the rest of the time, it takes me back to the dvdtalk front page
I havent noticed the common circumstances for when it does it yet
I have had the same problem, my most reliable route to post about the Cubs spanking STL is to go through Other
Old 05-07-02, 07:53 PM
X
Administrator

I haven't had it fail for Mature or Sports yet. But I'll try using it more now that you've mentioned this.
Old 05-07-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
I haven't had it fail for Mature or Sports yet. But I'll try using it more now that you've mentioned this.
i have noticed it only happens when Im already in the sports forum and use it... not sure if its after a post, or while in a thread, or what.. Ill pay more attention next time

i dont think Ive noticed it coming from another forum
Old 05-07-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

ok.. it just happened again
i replied to the sheffield thread
then after it brought me back to my post.. I scrolled down and hit go on the drop down to return to the sports forum index
and was taken to the dvdtalk front page
so I hit back and tried hitting go again
same thing
Old 05-07-02, 10:08 PM

Maybe I'm stupid or something, but I just realized there WAS a sports and mature forum after reading this thread. I'd seen talk about it, but I just asumed it had been cancelled or something since I don't go to Other very often. If it's such a bandwidth black hole that it needs to be hidden, why have it at all?
Old 05-08-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RandyM
Maybe I'm stupid or something, but I just realized there WAS a sports and mature forum after reading this thread. I'd seen talk about it, but I just asumed it had been cancelled or something since I don't go to Other very often. If it's such a bandwidth black hole that it needs to be hidden, why have it at all?
Sports isn't the black hole. It's Otter. I just made reference to bandwidth as it's a waste to refresh Otter if you're trying to get to Sports.

And thanks for the tip, <B>X</B>. The bottom links don't always work for me either, but it's better than nothing.

das
Old 05-08-02, 09:53 AM
X
Administrator

I'm still having no problem with the Sports Forum link on the bottom dropdown. Maybe if people having that problem told us what browser/version they were using we would find some common factor. I've got IE 5.5 SP2 with a few post SP2 fixes.

And are you having that problem when you link from your favorites? That really is the most efficient way to get there.
Old 05-08-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by RandyM
If it's such a bandwidth black hole that it needs to be hidden, why have it at all?
Having it "hidden" is more a function of deciding that those new forums were subforums of Other more than anything else. There is no intention to 'hide' them.

The creation of the Sports Forum was more because the users wanted one (mostly) and because das said it would never happen. The creation of the Mature forum serves two purposes. It removes mature content from Other and allows Geoff to use adult oriented ads. The mature threads were a source of bandwidth drain and the mature ads will hopefully support the bandwidth costs.

As far as getting rid of the Other and it's bandwidth drain, it was considered. Why not? Because Geoff appreciates that there is a community here of people that get something from the existence of Other. The only question was/is how to pay for the bandwidth.
Old 05-08-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
I'm still having no problem with the Sports Forum link on the bottom dropdown. Maybe if people having that problem told us what browser/version they were using we would find some common factor. I've got IE 5.5 SP2 with a few post SP2 fixes.

And are you having that problem when you link from your favorites? That really is the most efficient way to get there.
Im using IE6 on winxp
but I seem to only have the problem after posting a message and being forwarded back to my message.. then hitting go.
so maybe you havent run into the problem, because you dont post much in that forum? and it doesnt happen every time, definitly intermittent
Old 05-08-02, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

Im using IE6 on winxp
but I seem to only have the problem after posting a message and being forwarded back to my message.. then hitting go.
so maybe you havent run into the problem, because you dont post much in that forum? and it doesnt happen every time, definitly intermittent
That really helps narrow it down! Is that everybody's experience too? Let us know.
Old 05-08-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RandyC
The creation of the Sports Forum was more because the users wanted one (mostly) and because das said it would never happen.
Thank you. Thank you. I'll accept full credit.

Now for my next trick: there is no way the Lakers will lose the NBA title this year. I guarantee 100% that the Lakers will win the NBA Championship. This is a fact. It's pointless to argue against this, because I have declared it so.

das
Old 05-12-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Can these threads be moved to the sports forum so they don't get lost in the next database purge:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=175117
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=184935
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=187003
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=187258
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=194759
Old 05-12-02, 11:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by feenst
Can these threads be moved to the sports forum so they don't get lost in the next database purge:
Done.
Old 05-13-02, 12:07 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by feenst
Can these threads be moved to the sports forum so they don't get lost in the next database purge
It seems like the sports forum could be the one first in line for a purge. How many people will want to read year-old comments there?
Old 05-13-02, 12:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by X
It seems like the sports forum could be the one first in line for a purge. How many people will want to read year-old comments there?
The threads listed above are related to the current MLB season. It will definitely be fun to go back to a 7-9 month old thread in October to see how far off(or in my case how on target) people's early predictions were.
Old 05-13-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
it depends on if the year old threads include predictions made by cman
Old 05-14-02, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it depends on if the year old threads include predictions made by cman
deny everything.

das