Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

a question about moving threads to different forums

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just posted a thread in the other forum asking if any otters played age of empires II on zone.com. i said that i was looking for some fellow otters to play on the site. as soon as i posted it was moved to the video game forum.

Now i would understand moving it if i had asked something particular about the game such as hints or soemthing of that nature, but i started the thread specifically to find out if any OTTERS wanted to play online. shouldnt the line between what forum a thread belongs in be EVER so flexible, especially in my case where i specifically wanted to ask an otter? moving it to the video game forum basically defeats the purpose of the thread in the first place. since i post in the other forum 95% of the time i know soem of the members better and would enjoy playing against them, contrary to the video game forum who i dont know much of.

thanks
Old 03-24-02, 07:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I can see that your point. But just out of curiosity let me ask you where you would put these threads...

What do Others think is wrong with my computer?

What new CD do Others like the most?

What DVDs do Others have for trade right now?
Old 03-24-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't try to understand it ... at one point there were like 5 Oscar threads on the first page of Otter. How these are not TV or Movie threads is beyond me. The rule seems to be that if lots of people like it, then it stays in Otter, which hinders the growth of these other forums that are specifically designed for talking about these things.

das
Old 03-24-02, 07:11 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by das Monkey
Don't try to understand it ... at one point there were like 5 Oscar threads on the first page of Otter. How these are not TV or Movie threads is beyond me. The rule seems to be that if lots of people like it, then it stays in Otter, which hinders the growth of these other forums that are specifically designed for talking about these things.

das
I think you may have a point there. I'd be more than happy to move some of those threads to their appropriate forums. I'll keep my eyes open for them.
Old 03-24-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
I think you may have a point there. I'd be more than happy to move some of those threads to their appropriate forums. I'll keep my eyes open for them.
Holy carp ... results Thanks.

das
Old 03-24-02, 07:17 PM
X
Administrator

Sure. But I'm not moving the [Mature] pics one.
Old 03-24-02, 07:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple forums if everybody just dumps everything into the Otterfarm. Personally, if I am looking to play a videogame, I go to the Video Game Talk forum...I might miss a videogame thread completely in the Otter.

One thing to remember is that the Video Game Forum is an offshoot of the Other Forum, which means that the readers there are, for the most part, the same people as in the Other forum. It's not like the post was moved to the IGN boards or something...it's the same site.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-24-02 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-24-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive tried the... "please dont move this, Im interested in the otters point of view" strategy..
and I can understand why it gets moved

sure.. your looking for opinions of the otters, but your still looking for opinions in an area that has its own forum.. and after all.. each forum is not completely seperate of themselves.. they all still fall under dvdtalk, and its just expected that the otters also wander into the different forums..
but if they start allowing exceptions for these threads.. then everyone will try to get all their threads to stay in other, bu using these tactics

I think the mods are doing a good job, by just completely stopping them all, and making no exceptions
and you can count on it getting moved, when you point out that you know your posting in the wrong area.
Old 03-24-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

your missing my point, im not looking for opinions, which is the reason why those examples you gave me can be moved. im looking for somebody to physically play a computer game online. not tomorrow or a week from now.... today. if i had posted it in the video game forum it have went down quicker than a prom date. (which it is doing right now) so if there is a thread about starting a otter IM chat, why not move it to the computer forum? same thing, people want to interact over the computer with fellow otters at that moment, and it would certainly die in another forum.

ps i am in no way trying to be difficult about this and i apologize if i am coming across as such.
Old 03-24-02, 08:04 PM
X
Administrator

As sad as it is, how fast your thread is sinking does not add much to your argument. I still see a title of "Anyone here play Age OF Empires II on Zone.com??" which does not really look that Other oriented to me.

Now if you really want to play with Others you might start a thread like "I really want to have some interaction with the people in this forum" (or something along those lines) thread and then you could get into the specifics after finding out what they like to do. I suggest this since it seems so important that you only have interaction with people from that forum and not any other. So give it a try!
Old 03-24-02, 08:22 PM
Uber Member

In addition the points already made, it's important to remember that you are not the only person creating threads. If we allow your thread, then we have to allow people who want to play all the other online/multiplayer games. It's not meant to hinder your ability to use the Other forum, it's just that allowing you to use the Other forum this way is likely to impede others from using the Other forum as it was meant to be used, interaction between members within the forum. The IM chats and Otter meets are spawned by interactions that originated in Other, whereas hunting for video game partners is not.

As I've said before, we have to make judgement calls that limit certain types of posts in the Other forum. This is always going to go against someone. But then there are other decisions that will benefit how you want to use the forum. In the end, we hope that there's a balance that can make everyone happy some of the time.
Old 03-24-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
I suggest this since it seems so important that you only have interaction with people from that forum and not any other. So give it a try!
its not because i want to have interaction from people in this forum and NONE other. but whatever, it seems ridiculous, but you will never hear from me about the subject again. i was just curiou, thanks.
Old 03-24-02, 08:50 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by rocketsauce

its not because i want to have interaction from people in this forum and NONE other. but whatever, it seems ridiculous, but you will never hear from me about the subject again. i was just curiou, thanks.
Then I can only assume you posted in Other due to higher traffic there. As I said, not a sufficient reason.
Old 03-24-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by X
Then I can only assume you posted in Other due to higher traffic there. As I said, not a sufficient reason.
yea.. he uses the opposite idea of me

I post my threads in the international forum... so it can stay on the first page for months
Old 03-24-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
I post my threads in the international forum... so it can stay on the first page for months
Old 03-25-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The secret is to say "does any otter like playing this game and my mom wears thongs. Discuss" That would keep it in otterland.