Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

I don't like moving musical DVDs to another forum

Old 11-30-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like moving musical DVDs to another forum

I don't like how the mods are lately moving ALL musical DVDS to the DVD Audio forum. Like the Hard Day's Night threads moved today, for example. This is a classic movie with songs in it. It's not a rock video collection. I think it's too strict to the criterion. We don't move all movies with action to an action forum so why are we picking on this one genre? Would a thread about "Hello Dolly" get moved to this forum with all the favorite band and top ten albums lists? The music forum is called DVD Audio-Music, not "all music related" DVDs. It seems a little arbitrary - should "Almost Famous" be in there then because it's a movie about rock music featuring tons of rock songs?

I just don't think moving musicals is appropriate. DVDs of music videos like the Criterion Beastie Boys, maybe, but I just wanted to say I feel you should consider not moving the musical-related comments to their own little forum where they don't get as much traffic as the main forum does. Thanks.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 11-30-01 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-30-01, 07:43 PM
Uber Member

We're discussing this now.

I'll post more later, but I'm moving those Beatles threads back right now.
Old 11-30-01, 08:58 PM

Re: I don't like moving musical DVDs to another forum

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I just don't think moving musicals is appropriate. DVDs of music videos like the Criterion Beastie Boys, maybe, but I just wanted to say I feel you should consider not moving the musical-related comments to their own little forum where they don't get as much traffic as the main forum does. Thanks.
I think you make all valid points except for the that last part. So many times when I was a mod people took offense to their thread being appropriately moved to a smaller traffic forum. In this case you have a point about the moved threads, but the "less traffic" complaint should never be a reason not to move a thread somewhere else.
Old 11-30-01, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well said codefree. That reason was often justification for a thread being intentionally put in the wrong place. And it is not a good reason.

Sierra Disc, we had a discussion to clarify this issue among some of the mods. I think we are on the same page at this point. Let me say though that there will be some gray areas.

Here is our take..I think.

DVDs/Movies that are movies, even those based on musical groups or starring a band or musician, are still movies and should remain in the Movie or DVD forums. As long as the thread's focus is the DVD or the film. Examples of these would include Pink Floyd's The Wall; Head; and Help.

Recordings of concerts should go to the Music Forum, and this includes threads that are focused on the DVD aspects of a concert. Examples of these would include Roger Water's In the Flesh DVD and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD.

And I am sure there are some that will still fall in between and it will be a judgement call.
Old 11-30-01, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by randyc
DVDs/Movies that are movies, even those based on musical groups or starring a band or musician, are still movies and should remain in the Movie or DVD forums. As long as the thread's focus is the DVD or the film.
Not to be a pain, but if the thread's focus is on the film and not the DVD then shouldn't it belong in MovieTalk?
Old 11-30-01, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by codefree

Not to be a pain, but if the thread's focus is on the film and not the DVD then shouldn't it belong in MovieTalk?

And that is why I included both DVD and Movie talk.
Old 11-30-01, 09:59 PM

And that is why I included both DVD and Movie talk.
D'oh! I guess it pays to reread something before I try to point out a mistake.
Old 11-30-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree
D'oh! I guess it pays to reread something before I try to point out a mistake.
Stop being a pain!
Old 12-01-01, 02:40 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Blade
I'll post more later....
As promised:

What randyc said!
Old 12-01-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDs/Movies that are movies, even those based on musical groups or starring a band or musician, are still movies and should remain in the Movie or DVD forums. As long as the thread's focus is the DVD or the film. Examples of these would include Pink Floyd's The Wall; Head; and Help.
Recordings of concerts should go to the Music Forum, and this includes threads that are focused on the DVD aspects of a concert. Examples of these would include Roger Water's In the Flesh DVD and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD.
I think that's totally right on - it was the moving of music-themed or musical movies that was kind of annoying to me. Definitely not a big deal but I think it's great that this has been clarified a little bit.
Old 12-15-01, 02:33 AM

I've had this problem when discussing Queen DVD's.

I just don't think CD's and DVD-audio should be bunched in with DVD's of concerts. One is more audio oriented, the other more video oriented.

I mean it's a concert FILM yes? Same goes for DVD's of music videos which, IMO, are no different from musicals like "The Wall".

So I am in full support of keeping ALL DVD's, regardless if it's a movie or a concert, in the DVD forum.

A DVD is a DVD.
Old 12-17-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recordings of concerts should go to the Music Forum, and this includes threads that are focused on the DVD aspects of a concert.
By this logic, should all threads about the Monty Python, Sopranos, Star Trek, Buffy, Simpsons and X-Files DVDs be moved to the TV forum?????????
Old 12-17-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
By this logic, should all threads about the Monty Python, Sopranos, Star Trek, Buffy, Simpsons and X-Files DVDs be moved to the TV forum?????????
As I understand it, they should be in the DVD forum as long as the discussion is about the DVD specs and such, but if the thread is discussing the content of the episodes it belongs in the TV forum. This is akin to threads belonging in the movie forum if the actual film is being discussed.

So if you take that analogy further, it seems to me that a thread talking about the release of a concert DVD and its specs could be in the DVD talk forum.
Old 12-17-01, 02:19 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Aghama
So if you take that analogy further, it seems to me that a thread talking about the release of a concert DVD and its specs could be in the DVD talk forum.
Unlike these other forums, however, the Music forum is also addressing DVD Audio releases, so we decided to put all music related DVDs in there.

We are currently debating a change in this, but it's going to require some input from Geoff (as he'd have to change some forum titles and move forums to different groups).

We may also try posting a poll with some options in the Music forum to get a more comprehensive feel for you you folks like the forum.

-David
Old 08-03-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so confused.
Old 08-03-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I'm so confused.
just do what I do

If I'm not sure exactly where it goes, put it where you think it fits best..if it's int he wrong place, the mods'll move it
Old 08-03-02, 01:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I'm so confused.
Any reason in particular?
Old 09-28-02, 03:34 PM
Uber Member

This policy statement's a little out of date. Please see this for the latest statement: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=171762

Thanks.

Closing thread.