DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   what forum does this belong in (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/161838-what-forum-does-belong.html)

socalgoblin 11-27-01 02:52 PM

what forum does this belong in

i dont know where this should be posted but i thought it would be read here most,why do some people have to attack others when they spell a word wrong or not put a comma or a PERIOD, this is a forum not a classroom,so lets just get along ,help each other out and talk about dvds,sorry mods about this post

roseart 11-27-01 02:57 PM

Probably best suited for the Otter Farm or Other forum.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...p?s=&forumid=9

I agree though, if you understand what is being said, let it be....

Aghama 11-27-01 03:00 PM

Yeah, you'd probably get the most sympathy in Other. Barely anyone there can even post coherently.

William Fuld 11-27-01 03:07 PM

Your thread title should read, "In Which Forum Does This Belong?".

JCJF10 11-27-01 03:13 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
Your thread title should read, "In Which Forum Does This Belong?".

:lol:

Blade 11-27-01 03:15 PM

Since you're discussing a general posting habit of some people in the forums, a topic like this would be most appropriate in Feedback forum.

I wouldn't take too much offense at the comments though. Some people like to post like they're writing a paper and some like to post with a less "restrictive" style.

Personally, I prefer a more faithful adherence to proper grammar, punctuation and style, but aside from serious incoherence, the only posting style that really bothers me is when people post one huge block paragraph of information with many different thoughts in it.

More importantly, English is a second (or even third) language for many of our members, so it would be wise to tread carefully when criticising someone's grammar, spelling or punctuation, lest you end up looking like an overbearing buffoon. :)

Regardless, moving thread.

(edited to fix at least one spelling/usage error! :lol: )
(edited to fix another spelling error! :))

JCJF10 11-27-01 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Yeah, you'd probably get the most sympathy in Other. Barely anyone there can even post coherently.
wHat thee hack; is you be friG'n Talkan bout.... buBba? :confused:

Some of my best friends are Otters! :D

JCJF10 11-27-01 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Blade
lest you end up looking like an overbearing buffoon. :)

I agree totally with you and the point of the thread.

<font color = "blue"> [all in thread join hands and sing] </font>

Cum-Bye-Yah Mu'Lord
Cum-Bye-Yah
Cum-Bye-Yah Mu'Lord
Cum-Bye-Yah

<font color = "blue"> [/all in thread join hands and sing] </font>

BTW what exactly is your problem with Baboons?

<small> He said buffoon. </small>

Oh... well then.... never mind, :)

socalgoblin 11-27-01 09:41 PM

who wants sympathy

first of all i did not want sympathy,the only reason i wrote this is because i made a post letting people know that the free fox dvd at best buy was available at a certain store and some person had to make some remark but hey i wasnt being all sensitive ,but ive noticed that people slam others for stupid reasons and probably scare off others that usually dont post. now why dont we drop this and talk about dvds.

ChiTownAbs, Inc 11-27-01 10:50 PM

can't we all just get along?

uberjoe 11-28-01 12:12 AM

Re: who wants sympathy

Originally posted by socalgoblin
first of all i did not want sympathy,the only reason i wrote this is because i made a post letting people know that the free fox dvd at best buy was available at a certain store and some person had to make some remark but hey i wasnt being all sensitive ,but ive noticed that people slam others for stupid reasons and probably scare off others that usually dont post. now why dont we drop this and talk about dvds.
The problem is that it's really hard to read stuff like this. It's like listening to someone who never stops to take a breath. It tires them out, and it tires you out trying to follow it. There is a reason that periods exist.

You can say "drop this and talk about dvds," but in order for people to talk, they need to communicate clearly. You aren't. Yeah, people can understand you if they put in some time and effort. But why go through the trouble when you can click on another thread that makes sense?

Just my thoughts.

socalgoblin 11-28-01 01:35 AM

ok

ok ,from now on all my post will be as simple as,SEE SPOT RUN, thank you teacher, here is a apple for you. :D

uberjoe 11-28-01 01:39 AM

Re: ok

ok ,from now on all my post will be as simple as,SEE SPOT RUN, ok
Don't get upset just because you can't take the time to punctuate correctly. If you want to post "simple" like that, then fine. I can ignore those posts, too. :D

socalgoblin 11-28-01 01:54 AM

why

if your ignoring these post why do you respond? im not even upset that is what is so strange.i was just making a statement about a response to a post i made. :D

uberjoe 11-28-01 01:58 AM

Re: why

if your ignoring these post why do you respond? im not even upset that is what is so strange.i was just making a statement about a response to a post i made. :D
Yeah, and I was simply responding in a way which I thought would make you understand where other people are coming from. Instead, you gave a little smarmy answer. Oh, well. To each his own. :)

If you want to post in a confusing way, you can.

socalgoblin 11-28-01 02:16 AM

sorry

sorry did not mean to confuse you.

sniper308 12-02-01 09:37 PM

ok ,from now on all my post will be as simple as,SEE SPOT RUN, thank you teacher, here is a apple for you.
Technically it would be "an apple" ... sorry had to get your attention ... personally I don't care as much about punctuation in posts as $$$, but since I'm normally a DVD & Other Bargain forum reader my opinion may not mean much. Stream of consciousness is cool as long as it saves me money.

In all honesty, I think it just depends on how seriously you wish to be considered, or even the type of thread in which you post. If the topic of a thread is how to save $5 on an adult DVD, then your punctuation may not be reviewed as critically as a thread regarding world events.

:johnwoo:

socalgoblin 12-02-01 10:45 PM

ok

thanks for the tip,ive been trying to make sure everything i do is right.

djtoell 12-03-01 01:17 AM

the point of posting, as i see it, is to share information with others. said information can only be shared if you present it in a coherent fashion. the rules of spelling and grammar exist so that we can all understand one another. if your posts aren't intelligible, it defeats the entire purpose of posting. if you're not willing to form your posts in a coherent manner (and, therefore, no one is able to understand you), you may as well not be posting at all. if you're unwilling to take constructive criticism on your written mannerisms that assist you in properly communicating, perhaps you should consider a non-written means of a communication (i.e., not this forum). otherwise, we're all stuck with the fact that this forum is a written means of communication and certain rules apply; you shouldn't force others to decipher your improper postings because you happen to lack the requisite communication skills. this doesn't mean you have to be perfect, but you should at least be intelligible. further, being indignant about your deficiences won't make anyone more willing to read your posts. you're asking us to do extra work in trying to understand you, so i would suggest not being combative when making such a request.

DJ

socalgoblin 12-03-01 02:21 AM

first of all

all i did was post a message that i thought would be helpful,and if my post are hard to understand,then im sorry that you cant comprehend them,but im not going to stop posting because some people have problems with the way i write.im not here to cause trouble and im here to discuss topics,ive made freinds here and i have no problems with anyone and thats about all i have to say about this.

RandyC 12-03-01 02:32 AM

socalgoblin, relax.

Ignore those that feel superior because of a spelling or grammar issue. Sometimes people assume everyone is from the same country, when they are not (English is my second language).

But most of the people in this thread are trying to be helpful, and have a good point.

It is harder to read a post by someone that does not use punctuation or capitalization correctly. A person that is lazy on the creation of a post, forces the reader to do more work.

But in the end, content is still the most important thing.

Welcome to the forums.

Closing this thread since the points have been made.