DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Embedded quotes? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/149563-embedded-quotes.html)

focker 10-10-01 11:22 PM

Embedded quotes?

With the old forum software when you quoted someone who had a quote in his message, both quotes appeared. I think this can still be done manually, but it is turned off by default. This change sometimes creates confusion and makes things harder to read. I sometimes have to scroll up and find the original quote for things to make sense. I know this used to lead to some clutter and I even remember a joke thread in Other with over 30 embedded quotes ( :lol: ), but I think removing this feature does more harm than good. Is there any chance of this being changed back?

Josh H 10-10-01 11:46 PM

I vote to leave it off. The added clutter caused by embedded quotes isn't worth the slight convenience gained by enabling them. Too many people already clutter posts by quoting whole posts only to address one sentence of them. Turn this back on and they will quote 5 embedded quotes and the whole post just to respond to one sentence as they did on the old software.

Dead 10-11-01 11:34 AM

FWIW, I liked having all quotes included... made for easier reading. Now you may have to go back through dozens of posts to try to figure out what someone is talking about.

Bushdog 10-11-01 11:50 AM

If there were a setting to allow for 2 (maybe 3) embedded quotes max, I would be all for it. The problem last time was too much of a good thing.

Aghama 10-11-01 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog

Originally posted by Dead

Originally posted by joshinkle

Originally posted by foker
With the old forum software when you quoted someone who had a quote in his message, both quotes appeared. I think this can still be done manually, but it is turned off by default. This change sometimes creates confusion and makes things harder to read. I sometimes have to scroll up and find the original quote for things to make sense. I know this used to lead to some clutter and I even remember a joke thread in Other with over 30 embedded quotes (:lol:), but I think removing this feature does more harm than good. Is there any chance of this being changed back?
I vote to leave it off. The added clutter caused by embedded quotes isn't worth the slight convenience gained by enabling them. Too many people already clutter posts by quoting whole posts only to address one sentence of them. Turn this back on and they will quote 5 embedded quotes and the whole post just to respond to one sentence as they did on the old software.
FWIW, I liked having all quotes included... made for easier reading. Now you may have to go back through dozens of posts to try to figure out what someone is talking about.
If there were a setting to allow for 2 (maybe 3) embedded quotes max, I would be all for it. The problem last time was too much of a good thing.
Looks like 3 is already the max. I agree with josh, though; it's not that much trouble if you want to quote multiple levels, and having people go through the motions might make them think a little harder about what they really need to quote.

renaldow 10-11-01 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Dead
I agree, for the very same reasons.