DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   What does it take to get suspended? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/143911-what-does-take-get-suspended.html)

MasterofDVD 09-20-01 12:56 AM

What does it take to get suspended?

Not that I'm trying to get suspended ;) but I was wondering after seeing this thread on
Thread Crappers

If my post was a bit too rough I'll retract it but I just had to say it. This has got to be my biggest problem here and I'm fairly sure that it gets on more nerves than just mine.

There are tons of films that are popular that I wouldn't watch even if you threatened to hold a torch to my groin but I just steer clear of threads where this movie is discussed.

Is crap that, given it's gone enough times, grounds for being suspended? And like I said it that thread I'm not just picking on one person cause we see this time and time again.

I really enjoy the people and posts here and I'd had to see stuff like this ruin it for anyone.

bboisvert 09-20-01 10:51 AM

I have to agree... that is probably one of the most annoying problems with this board recently.

I have no problem with actual debates about the merits of particular films. But when someone is discussing the DVD of the film (talking about release dates, posting menu shots, etc.) there is absolutely no reason to try to disrupt a thread by posting that the movie sucks. If you honestly have that opinion, go to the Movie forum and start a discussion thread.

I love to see threads about the merits of Episode I in the Movie Talk forum, and I participate in many of them. I enjoy having lively debates about if the movie is good or not and why.

But, people who walk into threads about the Episode I DVD and just post something inane like "Luca$ is greedy" or "Star Wars sucks" should definitely get warnings.

Groucho 09-20-01 10:54 AM

I'm not sure why these people are clicking on the thread to begin with. If you think Star Wars "sucks," why in the world would you care about the menus on a DVD you have no intention of buying?

I guess they just want to take the time to let everybody know that they are "l33t d00dz" who are above popular culture. Or something. :rolleyes:

Fur Q 09-20-01 11:51 AM

i think this is more an issue of common courtesy, rather than something that needs disciplinary action. if every time an idiot interrupts a debate thread with an off-topic one-line insult, everyone should point out in no uncertain terms what a pain in the ass they are. if they do this consistently despite warnings then perhaps it should go further.

Josh H 09-20-01 01:11 PM

I've said it a million times, Off-topic movie bashing is the biggest problem here at DVD Talk! Yet the mods, with the exception of Kenwood who hasn't been a mod for sometime, seem to do nothing about it. There is no reason to bash a movie in a thread discussing menu's, specs, problems, release dates, easter eggs, etc. No one in these threads wants to hear your opinion of the movie, whether you praise it or bash it. If you want to bash/praise the movie, start a review thread, or find an existing one. Otherwise you just ruin the original thread as it will eventually turn into "this movie sucks" "no it rocks" debate. Please start deleting this comments, warning people and suspending/banning repeat offenders. And there will be repeat offenders as there are a few members that never have anything positive to say, and just go trolling from thread to thread. Please do something about this so we can have constructive conversations on this forum. Otherwise it's useless. I will be sure not to click any ads, or use any affiliate links, until this problem is resolved.

Blade 09-20-01 03:24 PM

Since I'm not specifically set up as a moderator of the DVDTalk forum, I haven't got a clear idea of the amount of email the mods have recieved on this matter. But are you folks useing the "Report this post to a moderator" feature?

At the bottom of each individual post is a link that will send an email to the moderators of the forum. That's probably the best way to get a handle on this situation as the members invariably come across problem posts before the moderators do (simply because there are many more of you than us) and email is a much faster way of getting a moderator to attend to a problem. The more quickly we can get to these things, the less likely they are to take a thread off topic.

Also, I, randyc, Bushdog, and X all have admin powers on the board and as such, feel free to email any of us when you see a problem. Mine is in my sig.

In addition, rather than quoting and responding to these troll like posts, it's better to just notify a moderator and to ignore them. People this rude generally don't care if they're upsetting other members and moderators are the only ones in a position to enforce a change in behavior. But it helps if you point out problem posts to us.

Thanks.

MasterofDVD 09-20-01 09:45 PM

I'km glad to see that others feel the same way I do.

And I'm glad to come back tonight and see that I'm not suspended after asking what it took. :D

Blade:
Thanks for the info as well. Now that I've brought the question up I will certainly use the "report this thread" option. I pretty much wanted to know that i wouldn't be thought of a a whiner or tattle tale for doing so. I'll also try not to react in a manner that will only encourage their behavior even if it will be next to impossible at times.

Here's hoping that we can make a dent in this problem asap!

codefree 09-20-01 11:22 PM

Here's my two cents: I don't like Star Wars so I don't read the Star Wars threads. ;) However, if someone was to report this kind of behavior to me I'd be happy to step in and help straighten it out. Unfortunately, almost no one here reports problem threads to the mods in the main forum. Also, I don't read every thread so there's certainly a lot of trolling that I'll miss.

MasterofDVD 09-20-01 11:54 PM

Originally posted by codefree
Here's my two cents: I don't like Star Wars so I don't read the Star Wars threads. ;) However, if someone was to report this kind of behavior to me I'd be happy to step in and help straighten it out. Unfortunately, almost no one here reports problem threads to the mods in the main forum. Also, I don't read every thread so there's certainly a lot of trolling that I'll miss.
Well.....we are either going to be good friends or arch enemies cause I assure you I'll report this from here on out. :D

And I am glad that Blade stepped in on the post I linked to. Didn't see it till after I posted my second message here.

Blade 09-21-01 12:53 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I'km glad to see that others feel the same way I do.

And I'm glad to come back tonight and see that I'm not suspended after asking what it took. :D

Blade:
Thanks for the info as well. Now that I've brought the question up I will certainly use the "report this thread" option. I pretty much wanted to know that i wouldn't be thought of a a whiner or tattle tale for doing so. I'll also try not to react in a manner that will only encourage their behavior even if it will be next to impossible at times.

Here's hoping that we can make a dent in this problem asap!

As codefree alluded to above, we can't read every single thread/post, and as such, we really depend on the members pointing things out to us when they come across them.

We welcome and encourage all of you to let us know if someone is making trouble. Especially since we're the only ones who can really do something about it. :)

We don't always agree with complaints, however, as just because one person finds something objectionable, doesn't mean that the whole board does, but we always listen and try to respond as quickly as we can.

-David

Josh H 09-21-01 10:38 PM

Originally posted by codefree
Unfortunately, almost no one here reports problem threads to the mods in the main forum. Also, I don't read every thread so there's certainly a lot of trolling that I'll miss.

I'll start reporting them again when I see them. I didn't notice that they had added more mods to DVD Talk. I used to e-mail Kenwood fairly often and he would take care of it. However, once he left, the other DVD Talk forum mods never seemed to do any thing, so I stopped wasting my time e-mailing/using the report link. Thanks for the help.

junkie 09-23-01 01:41 AM

So what does it take to get suspended? I only ask because I would like to know