Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.
View Poll Results: Do we need a "Current Events" Forum?
Keep current events in the Other Forum.
66.67%
Open a new "Current Events Forum".
33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Hey Geoff, any chance of a WTC/current event forum?

Old 09-16-01, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Hey Geoff, any chance of a WTC/current event forum?

We have a forum for just about everything here, so I think it would be a nice touch to add a forum for current events, especially since this current situation is just beginning a VERY long haul. I see people posting in the "Other" as usual, but alot of threads start with phrases like "off topic" or "on a lighter note" in hopes to ease the tension a little.

Another point is this: Alot of people come HERE to get the latest of the current 'goings-on', me included. I think it would be great to not have to sift through other posts to find the news you're looking for. In no way am I condemning the usual posts, but it would make it less confusing.

What do you say guys, open a "Current Events" Forum?????

<center>

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 09-16-01 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe just WTC, not current event cuz that could include a lot of stuff....

it would be good to get teh regular Otter Farm back, need a place to get away from all this stuff
Old 09-16-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me "Other" encompasses anything that doesn't fit in any other section of DVD Talk. We didn't make a new forum for the 2000 Election or other current events. I see no reason why people can't post both WTC/WW3 stuff and Otter Farm material. We can all live together....Otters and Current Event Otters! We're really no different than each <b>other</b>!
Old 09-16-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For all of the people that have voted or will vote, could you please leave a response as to why you would/wouldn't like a WTC/Current Events forum? I honestly think this is a good request, but it is a "Forum altering" poll, so I think we need some pro & con responses. IMHO.
Old 09-16-01, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound23
To me "Other" encompasses anything that doesn't fit in any other section of DVD Talk. We didn't make a new forum for the 2000 Election or other current events. I see no reason why people can't post both WTC/WW3 stuff and Otter Farm material. We can all live together....Otters and Current Event Otters! We're really no different than each <b>other</b>!
My sentiments exactly ...
Old 09-16-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound23
True, but as I stated above, some people are just coming HERE for updated news. A new forum would make it less confusing. This isn't like the 2000 election. It isn't going to end on any pre-determined date. Remember the days when we talked about TV shows and Video Games in HERE too? This is going to GREATLY overshadow those two forums. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but look how many duplicate threads we get because everything is jumbled. Someone hears some new news, so instead of looking through the first two pages, they just post it in effort to get the news here early, but alot of times it's already been posted multiple times. JMO
Old 09-16-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I voted to not make a split. Other encompasses it just fine; and I think if it was split off seperately then both forums would be the worst for it. I like the mix going on here. Let's keep it up!

Oh yeah, and whatever LBPound23 said, he's always right.
Old 09-16-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rarely venturing outside "Other", I personally would prefer it here. Most of the stuff that's going to be posted news related has already happened. Most of it now is opinion & discussion of where we go from here.

As days go on, I think you'll find very little will be purely related to the WTC/WW3 and probably digress to how these events relate to "other" things around us.
Old 09-16-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving to feedback and suggestions.
Old 09-16-01, 11:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by skar
Moving to feedback and suggestions.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me.

BTW, I voted against creating a new forum for current events. Current events are part of what makes the Other, the Other. And, at some point, we create an overload of forums. IMO, there simply isn't a need for a specific forum for current events.
Old 09-16-01, 11:39 PM

As someone who hangs out in the DVD Bargins Forum (and Goldfishlegs.com for Canada) I feel kinda bad for the "otters" here that their forum has been lifted by us folks who are hardwired into CNN/CBC Newsworld during these events.
Old 09-17-01, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A New Forum? Are you kidding?

Trying to pinch a new forum out of GK is like talking to Reagan about raising taxes (during the 1980's, for those of you with young memories).

We are at War. Is that singular enough?

Posts about this new war are bound to decrease over time as this will be a long war, but the latest I heard from FOXNews was that there are a couple hundred terrorists spread across the USA with more terror in mind.

edit...I was confused.

Last edited by LtlPhysics; 09-19-01 at 03:42 AM.