Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

** The New Official New Logo Thread **

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old thread (with many of the great earlier designs) seems to have expired. Therefore, posting the sequel seemed the sensible thing to do.

Below is a duplicate of the post I made in the "I WANT DVDTALK T-SHIRTS" thread. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, after waiting in fruitless anticipation after a new logo for ten-months, I decided to try my hand at it. After a little amateur Photoshopping, I came up with a couple of prototype designs.

I sent these to Geoff the other night, but he didn't seem to be too enamored of the font. However, I mulled that it was probably the opinion of the DVD Talk (and Otter ) community that may wreak the greatest influence on Geoff's decision.

So, without further ado, here they are:

*Edit: See page 2.

[Thanks to kvrdave for hosting these pics!</font>

I welcome all comments/suggestions.

Last edited by Sykes; 07-21-01 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-17-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it all looks very nice. My only qualm is that the "v" sort of looks like a "u". I can get past that though.
Old 07-17-01, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I think it all looks very nice. My only qualm is that the "v" sort of looks like a "u".
Yeah
Old 07-17-01, 05:02 PM
Registered

Here are my thoughts:

I like the concept. The circle background, the font style for talk. but the DVD font I really really don't like.

It looks like DUD Talk

Also we'd need to image to be razor sharp, as it has to go on letterhead & printed stuff (like t-shirts) as well as web

THANKS!!!
Old 07-17-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, nobody in their right mind would think that is a "u"! The design is very functional, and changing the "v" would upset the balance of the design!

(Okay, I'll work on it. )

Addendum: Geoff, is your problem only with the "v", or is it both letters?

Last edited by Sykes; 07-17-01 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-17-01, 06:11 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I'm going to jump on the "bag the V" band waggon. It's beginning to eek over into the realm of space alien language.
Old 07-17-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by noelgross
I'm going to jump on the "bag the V" band waggon. It's beginning to eek over into the realm of space alien language.
Don't tell me you've arrived at this conclusion with an uninfluenced mind?
Old 07-17-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
hehe.. dud talk

dud (dd)
n.
1. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
2. Informal. One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
3. duds Informal.
Clothing.
Personal belongings.
Old 07-17-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, here's an attempt to sharpen the "v" (although I say it destroys the balance of the entire design ).

Last edited by Sykes; 07-21-01 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-17-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
hehe.. dud talk

dud (dd)
n.
1. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
2. Informal. One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
3. duds Informal.
Clothing.
Personal belongings.
Old 07-17-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the U..er...V was a plain two stroke design, then I would say it looks great.
Old 07-17-01, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sykes, kudos on running with this.

What do you think about adopting one of the style points from an earlier logo concept. Have a sharper point and extended down below the oval loop (for the Y)?

Just an idea....I know how you creative types get.
Old 07-17-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by randyc
sykes, kudos on running with this.

What do you think about adopting one of the style points from an earlier logo concept. Have a sharper point and extended down below the oval loop (for the Y)?

Just an idea....I know how you creative types get.
NO, NO, NO, NO!!! WOULD YOU HAVE DA VINCI PUT LIPS ON THE MONA LISA?!! (j/k! )

Seriously, though, I do believe the design to be stringently functional. The shape and composition of the "v" is, indeed, probably serves the most vital function is balancing the design. The "10 o'clock" arm of the "v" serves to "draw" the "talk" sign; the "2 o'clock" arm serves to "anchor" it (can you guess my occupation? ).

Though I appreciate your idea, randyc, I'm afraid that altering the "v"--particularly by lengthening and sharpening it--would destroy the whole concept. That said, I am working on one more variation for posterity.

<font size="0">*Edited to remove some unsolicited advice to the big G, upon second thought.</font>

Last edited by Sykes; 07-17-01 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-17-01, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
I like the overall concept, but I have to agree with everyone else... The first time I looked at it it looked like "DUD". I can see what you are trying to do with it, but unless you stare at it for awhile, it's still "DUD"...
Old 07-17-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, as a follow-up to my last post, what say we put all of our cards on the table?

Below are all the design that have survived, all courtesy of myself and buskerdog (and, in an indirect way, PictureMan).

Jason Northrup also posted what I consider an excellent design some time back, but, sadly, it has not survived.

Perhaps not masterpieces, but we do have, I think, some quality work here more than worthy of a t-shirt or letterhead.

Last edited by Sykes; 07-21-01 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-17-01, 10:33 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Sykes
Seriously, though, I do believe the design to be stringently functional. The shape and composition of the "v" is, indeed, probably serves the most vital function is balancing the design. The "10 o'clock" arm of the "v" serves to "draw" the "talk" sign; the "2 o'clock" arm serves to "anchor" it (can you guess my occupation? ).
You can talk yourself into that nonsense about balancing your design, but the bottom line is that you need to communicate with people. We've tried to tell you nicely the V just doesn't read. It's not the end of the world. Also, all of the comps you've shown us rely on ovals, blends, boxes, shadows and other dodads to make the logo "special." Maybe you should set those crutches aside and work with the typography itself. See where that takes you.
Old 07-17-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sykes

Not like my opinion matters, but the ones above are my favorites of the bunch. Any of the ones above would be nice. The other ones are nice, but I agree with the "V" looking a bit strange in the first ones posted. The other ones are decent but that huge V (as mentioned before in the other thread) looks like The View. Nothing DVDtalk wants to associate with.
Old 07-17-01, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by noelgross

You can talk yourself into that nonsense about balancing your design, but the bottom line is that you need to communicate with people. We've tried to tell you nicely the V just doesn't read. It's not the end of the world. Also, all of the comps you've shown us rely on ovals, blends, boxes, shadows and other dodads to make the logo "special." Maybe you should set those crutches aside and work with the typography itself. See where that takes you.
Whoa, no need for the heavy artillery! Though my concern about the feasibility of a finding a new logo among our amateur Photoshoppers here is genuine, I had hoped that my humor in receiving criticism/suggestions would have been manifest.

My comments in this thread leave little doubt that I have strong opinions about graphic design. However, I have weighed the advice of others, and have put that toward conceiving a new spin on the design (should be up by tomorrow). My rejection of the "Van Halen" "v" (as it was referred to) in this particular design in no way substantiates that I am adverse to suggestion.

Thanks for your two cents, nonetheless. It has given me something to think about.
Old 07-17-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RJainMJ

Not like my opinion matters, but the ones above are my favorites of the bunch. Any of the ones above would be nice. The other ones are nice, but I agree with the "V" looking a bit strange in the first ones posted. The other ones are decent but that huge V (as mentioned before in the other thread) looks like The View. Nothing DVDtalk wants to associate with.
Of those three, I am partial to the bottom-left one. As stated above, however, I really miss Jason Northrup's design. I would have loved a t-shirt of that!
Old 07-18-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by randyc
If the U..er...V was a plain two stroke design, then I would say it looks great.
ditto on that.
Old 07-18-01, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

That's it, done deal. Start pressing the shirts.

Seriously, I got good taste, this is it, eye catching, freakin awesome.

P.S: The other one identical to this one looks to have the shape of batmans outer shape, no like. Circle is more, different, unique.
Old 07-18-01, 07:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Hmmm.... if you numbered the designs above from top to bottom (doing left to right as needed) like

3 4

5 6

I would say I like #5 and #7 the best, but I agree that the "v" in #7 needs to be straighter.
Old 07-18-01, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sykes - I kind of like your stuff, but that "V" has got to go. It looks too much like DJD, or even DUDTalk.

While there some Duds here, I don't think a shirt should celebrate that.
Old 07-18-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The latest in a series of contemporary and classic designs.

Last edited by Sykes; 07-21-01 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-18-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a member of DUD talk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.