DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Ads, price search, DVD covers not needed on EVERY page (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/137419-ads-price-search-dvd-covers-not-needed-every-page.html)

evilbaby 08-27-01 11:58 PM

Ads, price search, DVD covers not needed on EVERY page

Ok, I can understand having those DVD covers, ads and the price search on the main page of each forum but is it really necessary to have them on each and EVERY page?

I mean they do take time to load, take up more cache space which cause problems for WebTV users causing the page not to load completely. Which means I can lose out on half of the posts!

Can the moderators/owner of this site PLEASE consider removing all that extra stuff (DVD covers, ads, price search) from individual threads?

Thanks.

Thunderball 08-28-01 12:09 AM

That's how they pay the bills man, I doubt they're willing to remove their money makers

Kenwood 08-28-01 01:29 AM

Re: Ads, price search, DVD covers not needed on EVERY page

Originally posted by evilbaby
PLEASE consider removing all that extra stuff
They [BANNED] Shaggy.....what more do you want? ;)

Blade 08-28-01 02:31 AM

Re: Ads, price search, DVD covers not needed on EVERY page

Originally posted by evilbaby
I mean they do take time to load, take up more cache space which cause problems for WebTV users causing the page not to load completely. Which means I can lose out on half of the posts!

Using the user cp link near the top right of the page, gives you the option of setting the number of posts you see per page. Try setting this to 30 (the forum default is 40) and see if that helps.

Also, FYI, the moderators have no control over the actual design of the ads and the forum. That's set by Geoff, the Admn/Owner/Founder of DVDTalk.

However, as has already been pointed out, it's what pays the bills, so I while I'm sure he appreciates your feedback and will consider it as he makes further changes to the ads on the site, I doubt he'll remove all ads from any page on the site.

evilbaby 08-28-01 03:24 AM

I completely understand they (ads, etc) are there for financial reasons, I've no problem with that.

My confusion stems from why they're needed on every single page, not just the main forum but also in individual threads. I'm sure we all see them when we come into a particular forum right? So if a person wants to click on one of them then all they'd have to do is use the one on the main page. I just fail to see the need to have them spread everywhere.

ah well, just my opinion.

evilbaby 08-28-01 03:32 AM

Blade, thanks for the tip. I set it to 20 posts per, really helped out. :-)

Blade 08-28-01 03:43 AM

Your welcome. We've had a long history with trying to help out WebTV users. Don't always get it right, but tried to make things better rather than worse. :)

As for the every page stuff, the more widespread, the more opportunity for people to use them. As is, it's similar to a book that has the book title and/or author's name at the top of every page.

Advertising, however, is designed to catch the eye and stand out. As such, there will always be a battle between content and making money.

Personally, I think Geoff has shown a pretty good history of finding a good balance between the two. But like I said, he does use this feedback as a guide. So if he can't always accomodate every request, it is always listened to.