DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   To Edit Profile I must have new e-mail address? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/134074-edit-profile-i-must-have-new-e-mail-address.html)

jough 08-15-01 10:19 AM

To Edit Profile I must have new e-mail address?

Hi,

Every time I try to edit my profile, it tells me that "There is already another user with that e-mail address." even though I am that user.

So now I have to change my e-mail address ever time I want to update my profile. Luckily, I have my own domains and can choose between a near infinite amount of addresses - but I'd really like to have a certain address, and because it seems I can never go back and use the same one twice, it looks like I'm populating your database with fake e-mail addresses.

Can you do anything to fix this? I'd rather my e-mail address on here not be "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" - you dig?

-- Jough

benedict 08-15-01 11:30 AM

I've seen this mentioned before.

Once it was because someone had another member name but had used the same email address when setting it up and was only "caught" out after a software upgrade and on visiting the Edit Profile screen.

Another time it may have been just a bug/corrupted database.

If you don't see an official response soon why not email a Mod?

Adam Tyner 08-15-01 11:38 AM

There's nothing wrong with vBulletin.

The software sez there's a user named 'reverendjough' with the e-mail address [email protected] and the same exact signature you have. That user registered immediately after the user 'jough' registered, so the mistake would seem to be user error, not a problem with vBulletin or anything related to DVD Talk.

jough 08-15-01 02:51 PM

Well, reverendjough is me, too.

Actually, that was a user from the old bb, before you switched to VBulletin earlier this year.

But surely there isn't a user who has "whywon'[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

So why do I have to change my e-mail address if I make changes to my profile and am using one of *those* address? Hrm?

-- Jough

Adam Tyner 08-15-01 03:13 PM

Well, reverendjough is me, too.
Multiple userids are highly frowned upon at DVD Talk. There are two @jough.com entries in the database, one numeric ID apart from another.

The only two '@jough.com' e-mail addresses in the database are:

[email protected]
[email protected]

So why do I have to change my e-mail address if I make changes to my profile and am using one of *those* address? Hrm?
Were you trying to change one e-mail address from something else to [email protected], which would cause a collision?

I just tried changing my e-mail address to several different things with several different domain names, and I didn't encounter the slightest amount of trouble. It even let me change my e-mail address to [email protected] and whywon'[email protected] without a hitch.

The cause would seem to be user error.

jough 08-15-01 03:48 PM

I don't think you're understanding the problem...

I never registered with the vbulletin software here. Ever.

I was a user on the UBB system, and my registration must've been transfered over from that.

Anyway, the problem that I'm having is that whenever I want to make a change to my profile the script tells me that there's someone with that e-mail address (Yeah, it's me!) and it doesn't allow duplicates.

So when I go back and change my e-mail address to something else, then it allows me to make whatever changes that I want to my sig file, or whatever.

And saying that reverendjough and jough have the same sig file may be the cause of the problem. Are they linked somehow? Because I've never logged in here as reverendjough, and I've recently changed my sig file as "jough".

So if the sigs are the same, there's something wrong on the backend.

But why do I have to change my e-mail address each time I want to change my profile? That's been my problem all along.

-- Jough

benedict 08-15-01 03:52 PM

jough I may be wrong but....

.... what I think <b>ctyner</b> is suggesting you do is to log in under the old userid (reverendjough) then change the email address recorded against that one to something else.

After that you should be able to alter the details for the userid you currently employ.

jough 08-15-01 04:45 PM

Okay, thanks. It seems to be just fine now.

I e-mailed the mod. of this forum (which is Geoff, I think) to ask that the other two accounts be deleted. Hopefully that will end all problems.

Thanks for all of your help, Adam.

-- Jough