DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Please ban all these greedy and imorral people (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/129457-please-ban-all-these-greedy-imorral-people.html)

Myster X 07-28-01 03:09 PM

Please ban all these greedy and imorral people

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...6&pagenumber=3

gcribbs 07-28-01 10:58 PM

sad end to a deal gone bad- always happens a few get mad and want to sue. I have asked for a GC as compensation on other deals but suing seems excessive :(

however banning seems just as excessive :(

namja 07-29-01 12:09 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
sad end to a deal gone bad- always happens a few get mad and want to sue. I have asked for a GC as compensation on other deals but suing seems excessive :(

we've had so many of these misprices that we should know by now that they probably won't honor these. e-tailers have honored these prices before, but the recent trend is to not honor them anymore.

wanting to sue is excessive, borderline stupid. asking for a gc isn't totally unreasonable, but that too is borderlining excessive.

if people want to take advantage of the misprices, fine. but if the "deal" doesn't pan out, they should not bitch about it. as the title of this thread suggests, they are just being greedy.

djtoell 07-29-01 03:56 PM

if those people deserve to be banned, what do we do with DVDTalkers who admit to lying in eBay auctions by listing their DVDs as OOP?

edited to add: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=129532

if Amazon was to knowingly misrepresent their DVDs, the outrage on this board would be tremendous. when DVDTalkers do it on eBay, they high five one another. maybe it's just me, but a lying seller is a lying seller, whether it's done by an online store, a B&M, or an eBayer. it's simply disgusting.

DJ

damn_skippy 07-29-01 04:20 PM

give me a break DJ. Do you know where i got the idea to list them as OOP. It was from this forum. It was by all the jokes made about people who pay higher prices for items listed as OOP.

:rolleyes:

DJ i think you need to relax.

RJainMJ 07-29-01 06:17 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
if those people deserve to be banned, what do we do with DVDTalkers who admit to lying in eBay auctions by listing their DVDs as OOP?

DJ

It doesn't really matter if you think it's right or wrong, damn_skippy isn't doing anything wrong on THIS site. Let him do what he wants anywhere else.

gcribbs 07-29-01 07:17 PM

edited to add: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=129532

if Amazon was to knowingly misrepresent their DVDs, the outrage on this board would be tremendous. when DVDTalkers do it on eBay, they high five one another. maybe it's just me, but a lying seller is a lying seller, whether it's done by an online store, a B&M, or an eBayer. it's simply disgusting.

DJ

link to other forum discussion
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=129545

repost of my comment :

He even told people how much the discs sell for at amazon- it is not like he is hyping it and telling people they can not find it. he also has a buy it now for less than amazon.

other than his use of oop what scam is he pulling?
end repost:

again I just think this is a over reaction to three letters that frankly are overused anyway by far too many people.

Who cares if a normal run of the mill movie is OOp for a bit or not. most of them will in fact be reprinted often at a lower price. how many movies have been made OOP by the release of an SE- a bunch. does that mean the older non SE is worth more :lol:

Other than Tin's or true limited edition movies most OOP's have no real value since there are far too many of them and the disc will usually be reisuued.

I know some people feel the need to own these original issues of movies great. As a collector they also should bear some responsibility to make sure they are getting a real OOP disc.

since he tells them they can get it at amazon.com and for how much they can get it for. How is he taking advantage of them. Does he need to link to the amazon item for them.

Is the fact he is giving them the option to buy it for less than amazon not showing that he is not trying to rip them off??

He wants people to look at his auction nothing more. It is not like he is hyping the OOP status and calling it a collector DVD and making the buy it now $50 dollars or some other ripoff price.

The word ban is turning into the new OOP. a meaningless three letters thrown around with no real value :(

codefree 07-29-01 09:03 PM

I think we should use banning for the people who commit the dozen or so personal attacks I see everyday on this forum. It's those people that are breaking the forum rules. Besides, if we were to ban all those that are greedy and immoral we'd have no members. Honestly though, who is without sin? ;)

gcribbs 07-29-01 10:32 PM

Originally posted by codefree
I think we should use banning for the people who commit the dozen or so personal attacks I see everyday on this forum. It's those people that are breaking the forum rules. Besides, if we were to ban all those that are greedy and immoral we'd have no members. Honestly though, who is without sin? ;)
I tried to cast the first stone but all the dvds i bought using tons of coupons as well as the dvds i got from misprices got in the way :(

sorry fellow dvdtalkers ;)

djtoell 07-30-01 01:01 AM

The word ban is turning into the new OOP. a meaningless three letters thrown around with no real value :(
i was, of course, (trying) to be facetious about banning.

DJ

gcribbs 07-30-01 01:33 AM

i was, of course, (trying) to be facetious about banning.

DJ

I was just saying that because the term and the request to ban has increased lately. I know you and I do not agree on what Damn_Skippy did however I also worry when something like this topic get started at all. first the original topic and then this Hijack topic.

It seems that if we think someone is doing something we do not like then lets get rid of them. I agree in banning people who abuse the board or try to profit off of this board in violation of the member agreement(like linking to your own store)

however I worry when the actions that a member makes at another website becomes a reason to ban them. maybe you do not really want to ban him but i am sure a few do.

Feel free to take this up with the website ebay- this is widespread at ebay to the point of making the term meaningless in my opinion causing the term to actually backfire on people.

However maybe if enough people complain ebay will take a stance on this issue.

as far as the amazon comparison. Would it trouble me if a website like them did this- yes for this reason. they establish a price. you are not given the option to bid on this item and establish your own price.

They will not tell you what the price is at a competing dvd store so that you can compare the price which Damn_skippy did do. So you would be blindly (assuming you were too dumb to look around) taking their price based on their information.

In Damn_skippy's case he is indicating that a disc is out of print or going out of print. then he tells you a major dvd stores price for this same disc and he offers to sell it for less or you can bid and try to buy it for even less money.

If amazon did the exact same thing- misrepresented the status of the disc as OOP. then gave me the price that the disc sells for at Deep Discount DVD and offered to sell it to me for less than that or i could put a bid in and try to get it for even less money would i be mad. No way I would be jumping for joy.

So my request right now- Amazon please tell us all your discs are OOP then sell then for less than Deep Discount DVD or let me decide how much I wanted to pay with the hopes I could pay even less.

Sounds like a deal to me. Talk about sharing the love :)

TK 08-01-01 07:42 AM

Hell, yeah, unless thay are breaking the T&C by the content of their posts. Used to be a time when people would be suspended or warned for deliberately posting PADS and "look at me" posts but seems like that is alright now. Specially late at night and when MOD numbers are down. Even the newbies are doing it. Except they probably aren't newbies and, in any case, they can always say that they are copying the "oldbies".