DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Do we really need the new forum software? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/103029-do-we-really-need-new-forum-software.html)

bfrank 04-24-01 04:07 PM

I am not sure if it was worth the extra load. I like this place just fine how it is, how about you!

And look no poll threads - rotfl

ANDREMIKE 04-24-01 04:09 PM

I like it too!! Although I am not against some minor improvements that can be made.

focker 04-24-01 04:10 PM

If we had it, this could be a poll! -ptth-

Like we need more polls -rolleyes-

I actually like the appearance of the old forum and the features of the new forum. If the new software is just too much, we don't need it.

namja 04-24-01 04:11 PM

The ONLY thing I miss about the new forum was the username of the last poster showing on the forums' main page ... oh, and how when threads are moved, a moved notice is automatically placed in the thread.

GuessWho 04-24-01 04:11 PM

I like the speed of the old version, but like the following from the new:

--editable thread titles

OK, was gonna say polls, but I think they're probably what crashed it.

focker 04-24-01 04:14 PM

I also like how you can click on moved threads (like this one) right on the forum page in the new software.

bfrank 04-24-01 04:15 PM

I did not post this to be a criticism!

Zedsed 04-24-01 04:27 PM

I too liked the last person to post listing on the main forum page.

Spicollidriver1 04-24-01 04:55 PM

I think this version is easier to view(eye strain), on the new one by the time I got to the other forum (my last stop) I couldn't even get through the first page of posts, and usually there would be 2 or 3.

Sockmonkey 04-24-01 04:55 PM

I, for one, didn't find anything in the new forum to make it worth keeping.

I actually found that the graphics and some of the missing features made it less useful than the old (current) software.

Scott27 04-24-01 05:35 PM

I actually thought the PM and Buddy List features were nice to have.

Darren Garrison 04-24-01 06:26 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
I did not post this to be a criticism!
I'm posting this to be a criticism. I think that the old interface (and the one that we are back on at the moment) is orders of magnitude better than the new (now absent) interface. To put it blunty, I thought that the new interface was a piece of s**t. I hope that it does NOT return.

Josh H 04-24-01 07:03 PM

I like this version better too. The other version was ugly and seemed slow. The poll feature was annoying and led to even more stupid polls. The only thing I liked was the name of the last person to reply, and the report this thread to a moderator link.

bboisvert 04-24-01 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Sockmonkey
I actually found that the graphics and some of the missing features made it less useful than the old (current) software.
I completely agree. The graphics in this version make it very easy to quickly determine what is read/isn't read, etc.

The "newer" graphics were virtually identical to each other and confusing as hell.

There were a few neat-o things with the new software, but (IMO) not enough to warrant going to a less-intuitive interface.

Master J 04-24-01 08:13 PM

The new software was pretty decent but not that much of a change where it seems like we could be loing someting going back to the old software. The one thing I did not get to try out that may have been useful was the PM cabability. All in all this software currently is fine and maybe in the future if finances become more readily available Geoff can try upgrades again.

J

Adam Tyner 04-24-01 09:04 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
There were a few neat-o things with the new software, but (IMO) not enough to warrant going to a less-intuitive interface.
Don't mistake an implementation of the interface with the software itself, though. vBulletin is very, very customizable.

gotwavego 04-24-01 09:49 PM

The new interface wasn't around long enough to really form a strong opinion, that being said I did like the polls and the last person posted in a thread feature.

-g

reverb 04-24-01 11:29 PM

I am very pleased to see the forum return to it's previous efficient look and performance.

I had been considering posting a week or so ago to let Geoff know that it was my opinion that this forum was the most functional of the forums that I participate in, and how it's speed and relative simplicity is appreciated - but while using the newer software I was literally considering how it might limit my participation here, as it displayed terribly in Communicator (better in Explorer, but still chunky) and how much slower it was overall. It was terribly frustrating and disappointing. And while I'm sure there were bugs associated with it's early implementation, the new bells and whistles seemed to ultimately get in the way of the information and the experience. The only thing I miss now is the location display for users. For months it has been missing, at least for me.

Though a terminal tweaker myself, I must say if it ain't broke, don't fix it;)

Trelach24 04-24-01 11:44 PM

PLEASE keep this current format

I don't mean to bash the earlier decision to upgrade the software but what we have right now is the perfect format.

habers 04-25-01 12:16 AM

Re: PLEASE keep this current format

Originally posted by Trelach24
I don't mean to bash the earlier decision to upgrade the software but what we have right now is the perfect format.
i agree :)

conkie 04-25-01 07:13 AM

I liked the members on feature, though this was probally one of the biggest resource hogs, PM Idea was nice. But it was a difficult interface, blocked members could have come in handy, last memeber post and location back in namespace...

mikehunt 04-25-01 10:34 AM

woohoo the site is usable again from school (currently my only internet access)
Thanks for switching back. Newer is not always better, especially in the computer business.

The Antipodean 04-25-01 09:09 PM

Old one is fine for me. I think the polls feature was the only one that was kinda neat but at the same time it would have likely gotten WAYYYYYYY overused in about a week. If it ain't broke...

Darren Garrison 04-25-01 09:33 PM

Myself, I didn't even KNOW that there were extra features in the new software. I, for the most part, simply read the forums and do an occasional search, so none of the bells and whistles interest me. All that I knew about the new format was that the colors were ugly, the icons and buttons were inferior, and the extra ad banners on the left side were annoying.

Startide 04-25-01 09:35 PM

I liked the new board for its both the PM and for its putting the name of the most recent poster on the index.

I am wondering why the little arrow symbol is on the index as well as at the top of the message when you open it. Yes, I know clicking on it takes you to the most recent unread post. However, doesn't putting it both on the index and the top of the message mean the server has to calculate or keep track of it twice which causes a big hit when everyone is churning through all the posted messages?

I did like the IGNORE function. I've always wanted a way to PLONK those "just padding through" postings.