Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 08-23-23, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
User (alphabetical) --- Assigned Movie
alyxstar --- Robo Vampire --- Tubi, Pluto
BobO'Link --- Chopping Mall --- Shout! TV, Tubi

Cardsfan111 --- Cheerleader Camp --- YouTube
Chad --- Death Spa --- Tubi
clckworang --- Elvira (and I'll just leave that open to your interpreatation, no wrong answers!) --- Shout! TV, Tubi,Pluto, Assorted
cwileyy --- Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 --- Shout! TV, Tubi, Pluto
Darkgod --- The Last Broadcast --- Tubi, Shudder
Darth Maher --- Ghostwatch --- Archive
Dimension X --- Death Spa --- Tubi
EdTheRipper --- Wishmaster 2 --- Prime, Tubi, Pluto, Freevee
fiver --- Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama --- Tubi, Freevee

Gobear --- Trick or Treat --- (need to check, can't find on streaming anymore)
hbsvb --- Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama --- Tubi, Freevee
lrend --- The Amityville Haunting --- Tubi
jholmes --- Evil Bong --- Tubi

kaBluie --- Curse of Crom --- Tubi
MallratCal --- Suspiria(you pick!) --- Prime and Tubi
MathJuncky --- The Amityville Haunting --- Tubi
mrcellophane --- Wishmaster 2 --- Prime, Tubi, Pluto, Freevee
numbercrunch --- The Video Dead --- Tubi, Prime
orlmac --- Evil Bong --- Tubi
Shack --- Slumber Party Massacre II --- Shout! TV
shadokitty --- Suspiria (you pick!) --- Prime and Tubi
shellebelle --- Evil Tapes --- Tubi
Spiderbite --- Cam --- Netflix
SterlingBen --- The Outwaters --- Tubi
TheBigDave --- Ghostwatch --- Archive

Toddarino --- Death Spa --- Tubi
Trevor --- Evil Tapes --- Tubi
Undeadcow --- The Devil's Doorway --- Tubi
Voorheeshulk --- The Void --- Plex, Crackle
WillieMLF --- Hack-O-Lantern ---Tubi
wishbone --- Aerobicide/Killer Workout --- Tubi, Pluto
Print Wikipost

2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Old 09-05-23, 05:41 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,298
Received 725 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I rewatched Death Spa today and I think I actually enjoyed it a little more than I did last time. I still prefer Killer Workout though.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-05-23)
Old 09-06-23, 08:24 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 1,184
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I watched my assigned movie, Hack-o-Lantern last night. I saw the Joe Bob version last year, and I didn't remember much with the exception of grandpa. Hy Pyke is a hoot in this movie and he chews up every scene he's in. Grandpa laughs like every cartoon villain of my youth, and he loves to flash the devil sign every chance he gets. I went out an bought this movie after watching it on The Last Drive-In, and I don't regret it one bit. This is a pretty bad movie, but I tend to gravitate to this kind of stuff. 4/5 🎃.

Up next is Trick or Treat then I may look up some of the Irish stuff from the Box.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 10:31 AM
  #78  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I watched my assigned movie, Hack-o-Lantern last night. I saw the Joe Bob version last year, and I didn't remember much with the exception of grandpa. Hy Pyke is a hoot in this movie and he chews up every scene he's in. Grandpa laughs like every cartoon villain of my youth, and he loves to flash the devil sign every chance he gets. I went out an bought this movie after watching it on The Last Drive-In, and I don't regret it one bit. This is a pretty bad movie, but I tend to gravitate to this kind of stuff. 4/5 🎃.

Up next is Trick or Treat then I may look up some of the Irish stuff from the Box.
Just let me know and I'll reach into... the box
Spoiler:



Old 09-06-23, 02:32 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,185
Received 514 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 03:28 PM
  #80  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
If you wanna trade out Cam, I'll open it up. It will also be a random movie, but I think everyone who opts for the box will be pleasantly surprised...
Old 09-06-23, 03:31 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,185
Received 514 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

No thanks. Just seeing all the box talk made me think of that quote in Brad Pitt's screaming voice.

Looking forward to Cam since I haven't seen it and it is in the T&A section. Just haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-06-23)
Old 09-07-23, 12:46 AM
  #82  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,269
Received 444 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

My pick was Ghostwatch. I love this movie. I've watched it every Halloween season since the 90's. Back then the only way to see stuff like this was to get a crappy bootleg VHS from a tape dealer. Now it finally has a proper Blu-ray release. I was saving it for Halloween, but this gave me an excuse to open it up early. It's a wonderful box set, and the video looks beautiful. Great movie. Anyone that hasn't seen it yet should definitely check it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Gobear (09-07-23), IBJoel (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 02:31 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,413
Received 364 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I watched Death Spa. I didn't remember too much of it while I was watching it, so it was definitely ripe for a re-watch.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 08:42 AM
  #84  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 6
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I have to admit, "The Amityville Haunting" was a tough watch. With that being said, it had so much potential. If there was just a little effort, this would have been a good movie. Maybe the intention was for the movie to be bad. I never thought I'd see a movie worse than "Sharknado". I stand corrected.

Last edited by MathJuncky; 09-07-23 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 10:40 AM
  #85  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
My pick was Ghostwatch. I love this movie. I've watched it every Halloween season since the 90's. Back then the only way to see stuff like this was to get a crappy bootleg VHS from a tape dealer. Now it finally has a proper Blu-ray release. I was saving it for Halloween, but this gave me an excuse to open it up early. It's a wonderful box set, and the video looks beautiful. Great movie. Anyone that hasn't seen it yet should definitely check it out.
Oh hey, great to hear! Originally I pulled What Happens Next Will Scare You for you, but apparently that is VHS/DVD only, so I had to find something suitable to replace it.

Originally Posted by MathJuncky
I have to admit, "The Amityville Haunting" was a tough watch. With that being said, it had so much potential. If there was just a little effort, this would have been a good movie. Maybe the intention was for the movie to be bad. I never thought I'd see a movie worse than "Sharknado". I stand corrected.
Sorry man. I sorted Letterboxd horror movies by "lowest-rated" to find that one.
Old 09-07-23, 11:33 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 1,184
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

My wife's been gone for the past week, so I've been vegging around the tube. I went to Screambox to see what kind of offerings they had, and noticed The Outwaters. I figured, 'It must be good because it had a sequel'. I also noticed that it was one of the roulette films. I found it on Tubi and sat down and watched the first hour. I think this movie was made primarily to showcase the dreadful music of some relation to the director.
Old 09-07-23, 12:58 PM
  #87  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
My wife's been gone for the past week, so I've been vegging around the tube. I went to Screambox to see what kind of offerings they had, and noticed The Outwaters. I figured, 'It must be good because it had a sequel'. I also noticed that it was one of the roulette films. I found it on Tubi and sat down and watched the first hour. I think this movie was made primarily to showcase the dreadful music of some relation to the director.
Bummer. I actually selected it because a local arthouse theater showcased it last month, so I thought it'd be one of the better options. If you want to go into the Mystery Box, one of the movies was going to be The Hallow, which has an adjascent premise, though lacking the found footage aspect.
Old 09-07-23, 08:16 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 1,252
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Ok, I watched Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama tonight. This wasn't a first time viewing - I think it was last October horror challenge that I saw it for the first time. I like this one quite a bit overall, short 79 minutes and I'd give it a 3.5 stars for my enjoyment.

Now this was classified as T&A but really that type of film doesn't do a lot for me, never went out of my way to specifically find the T or the A and the overly long sorority/shower scenes at the beginning are a bit tedious for me. However, once the group breaks into the bowling alley, things pick up and I enjoy the film a lot more.

The comedy is kinda silly with a nod and a wink most times but I laughed, very 80s feel which is fine by me. I haven't seen the sequel yet and I'm debating if I should or if it will be so bad it's bad. It doesn't seem even as long as this one.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-08-23)
Old 09-07-23, 08:59 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,360
Likes: 0
Received 299 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Just wrapped up Cheerleader Camp. It was exactly as expected.

A little slow to start, but the body count picked up quite a bit in the second half. Worth the first time watch.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-08-23)
Old 09-07-23, 10:20 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,413
Received 364 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I just watched The Amityville Haunting and The Outwaters. Amityville wasn't too terrible, but damn, that second one was painful.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-08-23)
Old 09-09-23, 09:54 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 307
Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I watched Robo Vampire this morning (Rifftrax version, because that's what was on Tubi). The plot was all over the place and made pretty much no sense whatsoever. There's a Robocopy (but also a vampire? I guess?) wearing what amounted to a shiny silver biohazard suit with some accessories to make it look more like samurai armor. There's a drug lord who hired a Taoist priest and his army of hopping vampires to guard his heroin. There's a "vampire beast" (guy in a gorilla mask who, like, shoots fireworks from his hands or something) and his ghost witch lover. That all covers maybe 40% of the plot/characters in the movie, which apparently was spliced together from at least two separate unfinished movies.

If you lean into all the nonsense, though, it actually made for a pretty fun time, especially with the Rifftrax commentary. So I have no regrets!

Now that I've done my official watch, IBJoel, would I be able to reach into the Mystery Box for a bonus watch?

Old 09-09-23, 11:45 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,684
Received 265 Likes on 173 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette



0.) The Outwaters (2022) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: I have a bit of a soft spot for found footage movies but after watching this I think more I have a bit of a soft spot for competent found footage movies.

There is very little set up here as 4 friends, a camera and 1 flashlight go on a trip out to the desert. Between the lack motivation, limited effects budget and a general lower caliber of actor I didn't feel like this film earned it's 'and then shit goes sideways' moment at the end. You know that typical last 10-20 minutes of craziness that happens following a suspenseful build up? Well, filmmakers here thought that was way way too short and decided to have that part be the last hour, but also they didn't really have the budget to make it visually interesting like say The Pyramid or As Above So Below so they do their best with 1 pinhole of flashlight and all the avant guard tricks in the student filmmaker's handbook.

The last hours' slip into insanity is a boring slog, and with the exception of some unintentionally humorous effects felt more like someone wasting my time than anything cinematic.

(2 out of 5)


Last edited by SterlingBen; 09-09-23 at 06:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
IBJoel (09-11-23), WillieMLF (09-09-23)
Old 09-09-23, 02:01 PM
  #93  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,632
Received 559 Likes on 375 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Man, I was just coming here to post a little review of my found footage film but Ben comes in a jazzes up the place with fancy formatting and coherent words and even a picture!

But anyway, Joel obviously hates me and gave me a little found footage film from last year called Evil Tapes. Iím normally a sucker for FF films and rarely give anything one star on IMDb, but this was not good. I think it was billed as an anthology film but the pieces are more like last acts with the requisite jump scares and very similar plots. The cameraman pretty much never says or does anything, and the acting overall is fairly lame. There were a couple good scares I guess, but I get scared at anything, and a premise or three that was interesting, and at least it was short.

1/10, and that may be generous
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
IBJoel (09-11-23), SterlingBen (09-09-23)
Old 09-11-23, 12:17 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,314
Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I just finished my movie, Suspiria ​​​​​​, on Tubi. After inquiring with a friend who is a big movie buff, I decided to go with the original. She told me that both versions were great, but just by being in virtue of being the original, that one slightly edged out the remake.

I thought that both the cinematography, and the music were very well done. Dario Argento truly was one of the great directors.
The following 2 users liked this post by shadokitty:
Gobear (09-11-23), IBJoel (09-11-23)
Old 09-11-23, 09:54 AM
  #95  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I watched Robo Vampire this morning (Rifftrax version, because that's what was on Tubi). The plot was all over the place and made pretty much no sense whatsoever. There's a Robocopy (but also a vampire? I guess?) wearing what amounted to a shiny silver biohazard suit with some accessories to make it look more like samurai armor. There's a drug lord who hired a Taoist priest and his army of hopping vampires to guard his heroin. There's a "vampire beast" (guy in a gorilla mask who, like, shoots fireworks from his hands or something) and his ghost witch lover. That all covers maybe 40% of the plot/characters in the movie, which apparently was spliced together from at least two separate unfinished movies.

If you lean into all the nonsense, though, it actually made for a pretty fun time, especially with the Rifftrax commentary. So I have no regrets!

Now that I've done my official watch, IBJoel, would I be able to reach into the Mystery Box for a bonus watch?
Ah finally! The Tag-Along is free on Tubi. It is a Taiwanese ghost movie.
Old 09-11-23, 09:55 AM
  #96  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

voorheeshulk, I watched The Void over the weekend and really loved it. It's highly influenced by John Carpenter and David Cronenberg (and has practical effects!)
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-11-23)
Old 09-11-23, 06:53 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,413
Received 364 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

I just watched The Tag-Along. It was okay. I'll probably watch the sequel tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-11-23)
Old 09-12-23, 02:51 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,185
Received 514 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

So my movie was Cam (2018).

It was in the T&A section but was actually quite mild and not really gratuitous for the subject matter of a Cam girl.

It starts slightly interesting going over the life of a Cam girl and trying to make the "Top 50" list of cam girls on the website she uses but thing strange things inexplicably start happening. And when I use the term inexplicably, I mean it...as there is ZERO explanation as to what is going on and why events are happening. It ends with a mystery of why any of the prior 90 minutes occurred which makes for a frustrating watch. Not to mention it slowly gets dull as dishwater and around halfway through never recovers any of the first half hour's slight interest it may create.

The ending makes no sense, and it appears the filmmakers want the viewer to try to figure out something meaningful. Unfortunately, they gave zero clues as how to attain any kind of understanding.

So you are left with a few tits, some uninteresting characters, and no true understanding of what the fuck is going on and no redemption if you attempted investment to care about the main character or her confusing predicament. It is like the writers had a small, slightly interesting idea but had really no idea where to go with it or how to end the movie. Like a Twilight Zone episode but with no direction or ultimate meaning.

I say skip it. Much better stuff out there. My rating: *1/2 out of *****
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23, 05:16 PM
  #99  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,816
Received 912 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So my movie was Cam (2018).

It was in the T&A section but was actually quite mild and not really gratuitous for the subject matter of a Cam girl.

It starts slightly interesting going over the life of a Cam girl and trying to make the "Top 50" list of cam girls on the website she uses but thing strange things inexplicably start happening. And when I use the term inexplicably, I mean it...as there is ZERO explanation as to what is going on and why events are happening. It ends with a mystery of why any of the prior 90 minutes occurred which makes for a frustrating watch. Not to mention it slowly gets dull as dishwater and around halfway through never recovers any of the first half hour's slight interest it may create.

The ending makes no sense, and it appears the filmmakers want the viewer to try to figure out something meaningful. Unfortunately, they gave zero clues as how to attain any kind of understanding.

So you are left with a few tits, some uninteresting characters, and no true understanding of what the fuck is going on and no redemption if you attempted investment to care about the main character or her confusing predicament. It is like the writers had a small, slightly interesting idea but had really no idea where to go with it or how to end the movie. Like a Twilight Zone episode but with no direction or ultimate meaning.

I say skip it. Much better stuff out there. My rating: *1/2 out of *****
You know, I thought it was pretty average. It's been a few years, so I don't recall exactly the ending
The following users liked this post:
Dimension X (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23, 11:52 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,200
Received 658 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: 2nd? Annual Early Bird Horror Watch Roulette

Watched Death Spa Sunday. It's always a fun revisit, and probably holds the record for WTF moments. That would be erotic consumption of asparagus spears, reanimated eels, twin possession with implied incest and death by chest press to name a few. And possibly the best movie quote ever that inspired a just alright song. There's at least a dozen deaths with no rational explanation, and one of them may or may not be a psychic detective that I would've loved to see a spinoff of. I only wish Ken Foree was a bigger presence, although I'm sure he was hired for the day as a cameo for name recognition. Now I need to revisit the commentary for confirmation.

Anyway, I decided to keep the Aerobic horror theme going with either a Killer Workout (Aerobicise) or Murder Rock double feature, but instead stumbled across the just released Murdercise for $1.99 on Prime. If you take into consideration it's a crowdfunded 80s throwback with some sleeze and gore done on a microbudget, it ain't half bad, despite being a little sluggish the first half. The only recognizable name was former porn star Ginger Lynn who plays a horny mafioso wife, and yes, she's still doing full frontal. Kansas Bowling was fantastic as the slightly psychotic lead; I'll be keeping an eye on her in future projects as I'm sure she'll be a genre name to remember.

Thanks for doing this again, Joel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad:
IBJoel (09-13-23), Spiderbite (09-13-23)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.