Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
18the Annual Holiday Challenge DISCUSSION THREAD

18th Annual Holiday Challenge
OFFICIAL RULES
-Movies, TV shows/specials, Short Films & Cartoons Count

-The movie or TV show DOES NOT need to be holiday oriented. It could simply take place during the holiday season (i.e. Batman Returns, Gremlins, Die Hard, etc.)

-Although the movie doesn't have to take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film HAS to take place during the holiday season. No movies with just one scene during the holiday season. If you're not sure, ASK!

-Any holiday from Thanksgiving through New Years Day may count

-A film can only be viewed once, UNLESS you watch it and then watched it again with a commentary

-There is no global goal, shoot for a personal goal. Whatever you want your goal to be go for it. For returning participants maybe your goal should be to beat a previous year's goal.

-Again, like past years there will be a THREE Wild Card option to include movies or TV shows you might watch during the holiday season that is not holiday oriented. Some families have watched movies like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory every Christmas So anything is allowed, up to 3.

-Specials such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New Years Rockin' Eve, etc. can count, but you MUST watch the entire special in order to count it.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE number your lists! If you do not number your list it will not count towards the challenge

-It doesn't matter how you see the film, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Laserdisc, YouTube, Streaming services, Theatrical release, it can be counted. Just have fun.

-The challenge will begin at dusk on Saturday, November 19 2022 and will end at dawn on Monday January 2, 2023.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 11-18-22 at 10:22 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by MysterioMan007:
bacigalup (11-18-22), Bladz (11-19-22), Gobear (11-18-22), Mr Awesome (11-18-22), shadokitty (11-18-22), Trevor (11-21-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-22, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 18the Annual Holiday Challenge DISCUSSION THREAD

New CBS-TV animated Christmas special.

Reindeer in Here

Premieres Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS
Featuring the voice talent of Candace Cameron Bure, Donald Faison, Henry Winkler, Adam Devine

Candace Cameron Bure is having a busy holiday season. Along with her producing and acting duties over at Great American Family, Bure has also voiced a character in a new CBS animated holiday special, Reindeer in Here. Based on the award-winning Christmas book, Reindeer in Here is the heartwarming story of how Blizz (Adam Devine), a young reindeer who has one antler that is significantly smaller than the other, and his unique group of friends band together to save the future of Christmas. In doing so, they unknowingly create a magical holiday tradition like no other.

Last edited by Mr Awesome; 11-18-22 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 09:00 AM

The special comes after the singer announced the dates for her two-day Christmas revue, which will take place on Dec. 11 in Toronto, Canada and Dec. 13 in New York City.

Filmed in New York’s Madison Square Garden, the upcoming special will feature the singer-songwriter performing a selection of her festive holiday hits, including the chart-topping perennial favorite “All I Want for Christmas Is You.”

https://www.tvguide.com/news/ultimat...ls-guide-2022/

Last edited by Mr Awesome; 11-18-22 at 09:05 AM.
shadokitty (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 09:49 AM

Personal checklist:

ANIMATED
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
Mickeys Christmas Carol
Frosty the snowman
A charlie brown Christmas
Flintstones 1960: A Christmas Flintstone
Bugs bunny looney Christmas Tales

TV EPISODES/SPECIALS
WKRP: turkeys away, Jennifer's home for Christmas, Bah humbug
Newsradio: XMas Story, Christmas, Stupid Holiday Talent Show
A Muppet Family Christmas

MOVIES
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Ernest Saves Christmas
Scrooged
Elf

Last edited by Mr Awesome; 11-18-22 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I didn't know if anyone was still doing this challenge. I'll see if I can put a list together.
Old 11-18-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The height of my Christmas spirit was 2019, after a good friend who loved Christmas passed away. I vowed that year to figure out why she loved Christmas so much. I think I got the idea by watching this stuff. The last two years I spent with my girlfriend. We broke up in January, so I’m trying to find the spirit alone this year once again. I want to watch the new stuff like Spirited, The Santa Clauses, A Christmas Story Christmas, Violent Night, as well as discover some stuff I’ve not seen, which might be tough as I feel like I saw everything there was to see in 2019. I plan to hit all the usual classics. I didn’t watch Gremlins for the horror challenge this year to save it for this one. Plus, my Christmas Eve tradition of a Die Hard and Home Alone double feature will remain, even if I watch them before then. I hope everyone has a great holiday viewing season this year!
Gobear (11-19-22)
Old 11-19-22, 06:03 PM

What does everyone plan on starting with? I'd probably watch the parade, charlie brown, maybe Garfield. Also Planes, trains and Automobiles. Rankin Bass special Mouse on the mayflower is on youtube. One must for me is the looney tunes short "porky pig and Tom turk."
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Awesome:
Gobear (11-19-22), MysterioMan007 (11-19-22)
Old 11-19-22, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome
What does everyone plan on starting with? I'd probably watch the parade, charlie brown, maybe Garfield. Also Planes, trains and Automobiles. Rankin Bass special Mouse on the mayflower is on youtube. One must for me is the looney tunes short "porky pig and Tom turk."
Tonight, I’m doing a Thanksgiving theme. Starting with Son in Law, the only Pauly Shore movie I like, then moving in to Pieces of April, which I’ve never seen. Then, either Dutch or Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. Tomorrow morning, maybe Home for the Holidays before jumping into the Christmas stuff.
Old 11-19-22, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

One of my favorite Christmas specials has always been the Nature episode, 'Christmas in Yellowstone'. And it's on YouTube, so watching it right now.
Old 11-20-22, 06:49 PM

Right now on PlutoTV is a Christmas time episode of the price is right. Bob has his Christmas plad jacket on. I love that Pluto TV mainly airs early 80s episodes. I could just remember toddler me being around the house while the folks had the TV on for the noon news and the Young and the Restless. The candy cane and wreath decor, plus the "tpir express" that the girls used to ride on in showcases.
Old 11-20-22, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
One of my favorite Christmas specials has always been the Nature episode, 'Christmas in Yellowstone'. And it's on YouTube, so watching it right now.
Haven't watched Nature in ages. Lost PBS with the 2009 digital switchover. I remember recording an episode with penguins and another one about hawaii.
Old 11-20-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished up a double feature of A Christmas Story (1983) and A Christmas Story Christmas (2022)…

The original classic was a movie I liked, but never understood why it was considered such a classic. That said, it finally sunk in this time. It was a nostalgia piece about what it was like to be a kid at Christmas during your childhood. I didn’t see that movie until I was an adult, when the Christmas magic had faded from my memory.

The newest sequel is a pretty decent follow up. Losing a parent is hard. I lost my mother in 2017, so Ralph’s loss hit home to me as Darren McGavin passed away and thus, so did his character at the beginning of the movie offscreen. His return to the same house from the first one has possibilities and seeing Flick and Schwartz again was great. Even better, Scut Farkus was now a cop and a likable character this time around for his brief appearance. Not as good as the original, but still a decent movie with a lot of mods to the first one.
Old 11-20-22, 08:26 PM

You going to bother a rewatch of A Christmas Story 2 or A Christmas Story Live?
Old 11-20-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You going to bother a rewatch of A Christmas Story 2 or A Christmas Story Live?
I’ve never seen either, but I’ll get to A Christmas Story 2 before the end of the challenge. It doesn’t look too good, so I skipped it tonight, but I feel like I should watch it to complete the franchise. Probably won’t do the Live, though.
Old 11-21-22, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I’ve never seen either, but I’ll get to A Christmas Story 2 before the end of the challenge. It doesn’t look too good, so I skipped it tonight, but I feel like I should watch it to complete the franchise. Probably won’t do the Live, though.
I saw some of Live and it was okay, but I find the original very overrated. I grew up without cable and never heard of the movie until 10th grade.
Old 11-21-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I decided to take advantage of having Apple One this morning, and just finished A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. It's not quite the same without Dolly Madison commercials that used to air when I was growing up watching them on tv, but still nice to watch.

I recently started a new job, but it's completely remote, so that should help when I want to watch something.
Old 11-21-22, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw some of Live and it was okay, but I find the original very overrated. I grew up without cable and never heard of the movie until 10th grade.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. It certainly doesn't warrant a 24-hour TBS marathon it gets every year, which is pretty much how I originally found the movie. Nobody I knew growing up ever mentioned the movie to me before. So, I was completely underwhelmed for years after my first viewing. I enjoyed it much more than usual this year, but still not a favorite of mine, as I much prefer Home Alone over it.
Old 11-21-22, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I raced to finish my November Comedy checklist early, so now I can go full holiday for the rest of the year.
MysterioMan007 (11-21-22)
Old 11-21-22, 04:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I kicked this challenge off with the delightful Spirited, a movie my entire family adored. It might not be the holiday movie we deserved, but it was the one we needed. Next up is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Indy24LA:
jholmes (11-25-22), MysterioMan007 (11-21-22)
Old 11-21-22, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just FYI, if you have bought it during the current Criterion sale, The Last Waltz was filmed on Thanksgiving weekend.
Trevor (11-22-22)
Old 11-22-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spending the night watching the Santa Paws movies on Disney Plus. They’re f’n ridiculously bad, but there’s just something about them I like. Talking dogs. I don’t get it, but maybe one day I’ll watch Air Bud and the rest and it’ll make some sort of sense. Doubt it, though.
Old 11-23-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for starting this, I just never had the time to get it going. I'll do my best to participate this year!
The following 3 users liked this post by The Monkees:
Gobear (11-24-22), MysterioMan007 (11-23-22), shadokitty (11-25-22)
Old 11-23-22, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, I didn’t grow up with the original and never thought much of it. The stage version was better—still not great—but I haven’t watched the recording of it.
Old 11-24-22, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I might have to give this one a chance.

Started with Thanksgiving Friends episodes and then A Christmas Story. The 2nd is also on the list. Not my favorite but my sister loves it and since I'm at her house we're watching them.
shadokitty (11-24-22)
Old 11-25-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special is funny as hell. Best new viewing so far…
The following 3 users liked this post by MysterioMan007:
Gobear (12-01-22), jholmes (11-26-22), Trevor (11-27-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.