Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 12th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2022

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 12th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2022

Old 11-14-22, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The 12th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2022

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome
For those watching Mama's Family, don't forget the 1982 cbs comedy-drama film Eunice. It's essentially a backdoor pilot for MF. While it can't really fit into MF continuity it led to the series a mere ten months later.
Wasn't aware that they made that TV movie prior to Mama's Family; interestingly enough, both
had their roots from a recurring sketch called The Family from Carol Burnett's 1970's variety show.

Also, Eunice is on You Tube along with some sketchs of The Family!

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-17-22, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The 12th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2022

I'm enjoying comedy. Haven't watched some of these films in years, but...

Are we doing the holiday challenge this year? I think The Monkees usually hosts it, but there's not a thread up and it would usually start this coming Sunday. I'm hoping to continue for that challenge, but if there doesn't seem to be a host, I can put up something today or tomorrow to get it going. That will probably be my last challenge until March of whenever the Action challenge usually is...I'm almost burned out on recording everything I watch into a post.
The following 3 users liked this post by MysterioMan007:
Bladz (11-18-22), Gobear (11-17-22), Indy24LA (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 05:19 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I'm enjoying comedy. Haven't watched some of these films in years, but...

Are we doing the holiday challenge this year? I think The Monkees usually hosts it, but there's not a thread up and it would usually start this coming Sunday. I'm hoping to continue for that challenge, but if there doesn't seem to be a host, I can put up something today or tomorrow to get it going. That will probably be my last challenge until March of whenever the Action challenge usually is...I'm almost burned out on recording everything I watch into a post.
Yeah, I keep checking for the list thread. You got my vote to start it.
Old 11-17-22, 11:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Wasn't aware that they made that TV movie prior to Mama's Family; interestingly enough, both
had their roots from a recurring sketch called The Family from Carol Burnett's 1970's variety show.

Also, Eunice is on You Tube along with some sketchs of The Family!

Thanks for the info!
used to watch reruns of Carol Burnett. MeTV airs edited versions at 11pm weeknights. Originally carol was going to play mama. They went with vicki because of the irony that she was the youngest of the cast. Carol was mad at Vick for doing mama's Family in syndication with Carol's ex-husband/MF showrunner Joe Hamilton. Carol patched things up after he passed

Also did you watch any of The New Carol Burnett show from 1991? It was the same cast (including Richard Kind) as Carol and Company from the previous season. Going back to the original variety format as opposed to the anthology format of C&Co on NBC. NBC had a rare 3-hour sitcom block on Saturdays in 1990 with C&Co at 10. NCBS was on Fridays at 9, back on CBS. Didn't last long but had some gems like "Night at the Opry."

Carol also had some memeroble 80s specials like ABC's "Carol, Carl, Whoopi and Robin," with carl reiner, whoopi goldberg and robin williams.

Last edited by Mr Awesome; 11-17-22 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 05:37 PM

Trolling YouTube looking for Steve Martin content and came across an unsold Martin Short sitcom pilot from 2010. Had a pretty good cast and had the always adorable Judy Greer. Went down a rabbit hole, it's a relatively new YT channel with all sorts of pilots. I'm always fascinated with the shows that never were.

After that was Wright vs Wrong, with the always sexy Debra Messing as an Ann Coulter type pundit. Carrie Fisher was also in the cast. Freshmen had Sarah Chalke in the lead as a newly elected congresswoman. Another pilot I would've been interested to see as a series.

Kings of Van Nuys had John Leguizamo and Christopher Lloyd as a kinda Latino Sanford and son. Plot involved a monster truck DeLorean. The first half was really funny then it kinda calmed down. Saint Francis had a decent cast. Michael Imperioli, Paget Brewster as his wife and kelsey grammars daughter Spencer. I've found her appealing all the way back to when she was Lucy Montgomery #2 on As The World Turns. Peyton List was Lucy #1.

Nolan Knows Best starred Simpsons writer Dana Gould. Brian Dennehy steals the show as the overbearing father (the type or role that usually goes to Stacy keach) in lambasting with his liberal daughter-in-law. This little Piggy was bad. There was one with cybil shepherd that I just couldn't.

The last one was an untitled Ann Pile pilot for a police sitcom that just had a spectacular cast incliding Jason Alexander, Jane lynch, Orlando jones.. as a fan of workplace sitcoms I think this could've been something really good.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (11-19-22)
Old 11-19-22, 10:51 PM

Stats so far..
6% Steve Martin
7% Hanna-Barbera
7% the office
9% quack pack
10% lil abner
11% movies
11% archie
13% newsradio
13% mama's family
14% mickey mouse
17% Popeye
18% Jack Benny
18% workaholics
20% Garfield
30% george of the jungle
31% deputy dawg
33% muppets
71% disney

The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (11-19-22)
Old 11-28-22, 11:58 AM

Thoughts on NewsRadio as it was my favorite show at the time. I always found it interesting that you could tell the season by just looking at it. I assume its the lighting. Season one looked raw for lacked of a better word, season 2 looked similar but softer. Season 3 was wars. Season 4 was brighter and season 5 was darker.

Season 4 was my favorite, it just seemed to be the apex. The humor was the zaniest and had more serialized arcs like andrea planbee. Season 5 had similar beats like the Johnny Johnson arc that while funny it just felt empty without phil. Plus Matthew was unbearably annoying in season 5 and all the characters seemed to detest him. Which may have been related to things I've read about Andy's contribution to the Hartman incident.
Old 11-28-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I watched the CHiPs movie with the wife thinking she may have watched the TV show back in the day. I try to avoid advance knowledge before I watch stuff, but clearly in this case it would’ve been good to know that it was the kind of raunchy comedy she hates.
Old 12-01-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

My list is completed. I was not as engaged in this year's challenge as I would have liked but I managed to watch sequels Bill & Ted Face the Music, Big Top Pee-wee, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Coming 2 America, Jumanji: The Next Level, and Clerks III along with some Little Rascals shorts, two Buster Keaton films with commentary, and 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' S4 episodes.

Thanks davidh777 and everyone else for another fun challenge!

Old 12-01-22, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Thanks to everyone for participating! Nice to have some laughs as we begin the dark and chaotically busy season.
Old 12-01-22, 08:20 PM

Thanks again, been a blast.