Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 18th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-30-22, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 18th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 18th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Well I'm slow to start but I'll probably watch 30-40 entries for my list this year. I just bought the Criterion edition of Night of the Living Dead in 4k so I'll probably watch it tonight.
Old 10-09-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 18th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

And, I saw Resident Evil last night, after knowing nothing about the franchise. If felt like a letdown, and I’m not sure what I was expecting.
Old 10-09-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
And, I saw Resident Evil last night, after knowing nothing about the franchise. If felt like a letdown, and I’m not sure what I was expecting.
Which Resident Evil movie? I actually really liked Resident Evil:Welcome to Racoon City as it felt like the first two video games come to life.
Old 10-09-22, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Which Resident Evil movie? I actually really liked Resident Evil:Welcome to Racoon City as it felt like the first two video games come to life.
The very first movie. JKHolmes had mentioned it for Zombie night.
Old 10-09-22, 03:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I have a soft spot for the entire franchise. Equal parts nostalgia from playing the games as a kid, and thinking Mila is smoking hot. I honestly enjoy the first one, the rest are more guilty pleasures probably.
I think the Leprechaun movies are fun in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. I don't like the second movie but my favorite of the series is the 3rd movie set in Vegas.
I have the set of 7 or whatever Leprechaun films but don’t think I’ve taken the plunge of a marathon of them yet. Or maybe I did and paid to have the memories erased.
Old 10-09-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have a soft spot for the entire franchise. Equal parts nostalgia from playing the games as a kid, and thinking Mila is smoking hot. I honestly enjoy the first one, the rest are more guilty pleasures probably.

I have the set of 7 or whatever Leprechaun films but don’t think I’ve taken the plunge of a marathon of them yet. Or maybe I did and paid to have the memories erased.
I enjoy most of the Resident Evil films. One or two feel somewhat redundant - kind of like they exist to keep the franchise in people's mind, but I'd not call any of them "bad" by any stretch.

Can't say the same about the Leprechaun series, though. I purchased that 7 film set because it was on sale for $15, I'd never seen the first, and developed a desire to see Jennifer Aniston's film debut (have no idea why). IIRC that set on BR cost just a couple of $$ more than that single film on DVD so logic won out. They should have paid me $15 to watch the movies... Started "bad" and got progressively worse... I don't understand how the 2nd got produced, much less the entire series. I hope never to see any of them again.
Old 10-09-22, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It is slowly fading year after year...as is this forum overall.
I remember when DeepDiscountDVD had its 20% sale, the responses would go on for pages. Those were the days.

So far, the FTVs I've enjoyed are the new Hellraiser, the new Candyman, and Last Night in Soho.
Old 10-09-22, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Agreed, this challenge is the main reason I still haunt DVDTalk. Hope we make it to 20 before the end.
Yep. I think I’d stick around without it, but I’m not really sure.
Nah, the Challenge will live on.
It definitely will. We should have a backup plan though. I imagine Chad has all his templates backed up in case this site goes away and we need a new home. We have a couple Facebook groups to stay in touch and organize in case we need to move it someday. But yeah, this will be a yearly thing at least as long as I’m alive! And I’m sure Chad and others of you would do the same. Maybe we should go ahead and set up one of those free forums as a backup.
The following 7 users liked this post by Trevor:
Bluelitespecial (10-09-22), Gobear (10-09-22), IBJoel (10-10-22), jholmes (10-09-22), Spiderbite (10-09-22), T-bone22 (10-09-22), Toddarino (10-09-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-09-22, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

then on to that new Werewolf movie that ‘everyone’ is talking about.
What is this one?
Old 10-09-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by T-bone22
What is this one?
I’m seeing werewolves right now from my lack of sleep. Werewolf By Night is on Disney.

I decided to start The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here. This movie feels like it’s 5 hours long. These people are talkers. There’s gotta be 10 million words of dialogue, and I’m only 40 minutes in, with some of the most repetitive dialogue I’ve encountered in a while.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-09-22 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-09-22, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Werewolf day is always one of my favorites. Sure I usually just watch the same movies, but I still look forward to it.
Sucks I didn’t have time for An American Werewolf In London today, but I’ll fit it in soon.
Old 10-09-22, 07:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I am doing better than I expected to with the OHMC this year. I am at 27 movies right now and am on pace to hit 100 if I want to for the first time in several years. The Phillies advancing in the playoffs makes that more difficult to find time, but that is a good problem to have. My total will jump as always come October 23-24 when I have the annual 24 hour Horrorthon at the theater that I go to.

I got in my first two theatrical movies of the month on Thursday and Friday with the amazing Terrifier 2 and the kinda mediocre Don't Look at the Demon.

Now I have to try to sneak in a movie or two while I am in the doctor's office forever tomorrow morning for a nuclear stress test. I'll have to try to find something safe to watch that won't potentially offend the usual patients who are 30+ years older than me.
The following users liked this post:
alyxstarr (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

A late last-minute reminder to get your Trivia Question #1 answers in before #2 goes up tonight, which will also be a little later than usual.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Chad

Sunday Night Trivia Question #1

A celebration of the master of the macabre.

May 27, 2022 marked the 100th birthday of the legendary late actor Sir Christopher Lee. Yesterday we payed tribute to him via a theme day, and he's the star of two subsets. You've probably already seen the countless Internet memes about his greatness, which includes releasing four heavy metal albums, his stellar military service, holding a few Guinness World Record titles and being the inspiration for James Bond. For our purposes, he played the character of Dracula nine times, starred in 85+ genre films, hosted his own horror anthology series and a documentary about ...100 Years of Horror. He shares a birthday on the same day with Vincent Price, and one day after his partner-in-crime Peter Cushing.

Name 3 of your favorite Christopher Lee films. Any genre.

A list to refresh your memory.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn. USA only please.

You're playing for the very well-stacked Hamilton Book Prize Pack #1
!

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive (USA only please):

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-22, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m seeing werewolves right now from my lack of sleep. Werewolf By Night is on Disney.

I decided to start The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here. This movie feels like it’s 5 hours long. These people are talkers. There’s gotta be 10 million words of dialogue, and I’m only 40 minutes in, with some of the most repetitive dialogue I’ve encountered in a while.
Andy Milligan films are generally 90% dialogue and 10% film.
WillieMLF (10-09-22)
Old 10-09-22, 09:33 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Werewolf day is always one of my favorites. Sure I usually just watch the same movies, but I still look forward to it.
Sucks I didn’t have time for An American Werewolf In London today, but I’ll fit it in soon.
Me too. Werewolves are one of my favorites. There aren't enough great werewolf movies that have been made, but, man, I love the ones that have.
Old 10-09-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This'll be the last multi-quote of this size from me. It's annoying, I know. I got a bit behind.

Originally Posted by jholmes
I watched two brand new releases tonight. DEADSTREAM on Shudder is awesome. It's about a crazy vlogger who spends the night in a haunted house. He's got a fun schtick and the film stays true to the idea that he's livestreaming this in real time throughout. Great use of found footage. It's more funny than scary, I'd say, but it's really very clever. I gave it 4/5.
I enjoyed that considerably more than I thought I would. It's a fun ride, despite the lead being a bit obnoxious. And it's probably the only instance of watching a horror comedy found footage film I can recall.

Originally Posted by Shack
Woo-Hoo, it's Zombie Day!

Watching the original "Night/Dawn/Day" trilogy, plus the subset pick, then if there's time, my fave Shaun of the Dead.

What about everyone else?
The Sadness followed by the first revisit in several years of Dawn of the Dead (2004). The Director's Cut. I always assumed Johnny Cash's "When a Man Comes Around" was one of the best uses of his music in film and wanted to confirm, but this ScreenRant list completely excludes it.

Also The Laughing Dead. I love Vinegar Syndrome for digging up Indie oddities like this.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep. I think I’d stick around without it, but I’m not really sure.

It definitely will. We should have a backup plan though. I imagine Chad has all his templates backed up in case this site goes away and we need a new home. We have a couple Facebook groups to stay in touch and organize in case we need to move it someday. But yeah, this will be a yearly thing at least as long as I’m alive! And I’m sure Chad and others of you would do the same. Maybe we should go ahead and set up one of those free forums as a backup.
I save everything.

Sitting down to the new Hellraiser right now, then on to that new Werewolf movie that ‘everyone’ is talking about.
Everything I want to see is on streaming services I don't have, and I already have too damn many as it is.

I think the Leprechaun movies are fun in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. I don't like the second movie but my favorite of the series is the 3rd movie set in Vegas.
The Vegas one is fun. I bow out once I get to the second Brian-Trenchard Smith flick in space. Not that I watch them every year.

Saw Mad God late last night, and have no clue what I watched.
I couldn't get into Mad God. At all. I mean you have to respect anyone who dedicates 30 years (Since Robocop 2!) to their passion project, but it was just a slog to get through. It's not Shudder's finest hour with this year's Ghoul Log either.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Terrifier 2 was a grisly gorebath and awesome. Art the Clown is a sick, twisted individual. But he was also pretty darkly funny. Much better than the original movie, but not everything made complete sense. I'm guessing they're leaving some stuff for sequels. Sienna is one of my favorite final girls now as well. Long as hell, but never boring. And now I've got the Clown Cafe jingle stuck in my head.
Originally Posted by malazar
I got in my first two theatrical movies of the month on Thursday and Friday with the amazing Terrifier 2 and the kinda mediocre Don't Look at the Demon.
I've been curious to see what people thought of T2 after the less than stellar reviews the first one got as a subset in 2017. I honestly never got the hate for it. It definitely had its flaws, but did exactly what it set out to do, which is to be a balls-to-the-wall slasher. Really looking forward to catching the sequel, that is, if I can get myself back in a theater. I'm apparently one of the last holdouts.
Old 10-09-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Well well well. As I close out the first week of the challenge, I'm at 37 entries which seems pretty high. Already feeling a little burnout which normally comes on strong around the 50 mark anyway. Had to stop and watch a couple normal tv shows for a bit before jumping back in tonight. I've never made it to 100 before and doubt I'll hit that this time. I keep pulling out things I want to watch and just know I'll never finish my entire list. But, I still watch horror round at times anyway.
Old 10-09-22, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I've been digging into some of my unwatched Severin UHDs. I understand how some of the titles might not be someone's cup of tea, but I've been really pleased at the quality of all the ones I've watched. We're fortunate to have some genre labels that really put a lot of care into presentation.
EdTheRipper (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I watched The Wolf of Snow Hollow tonight. Not a bad horror/comedy flick. I had fun with this one. I watched An American Werewolf in London a couple weeks back on UHD because I needed to return it quickly, otherwise I would have waited until tonight.
The following 2 users liked this post by T-bone22:
jholmes (10-10-22), WillieMLF (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The winner of The Sunday Night Trivia Question #1...

exharrison

Congratulations! You're now the winner of the HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Code:
The Top 3 Christopher Lee Films

1. The Wicker Man (1973)
2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
3. Horror of Dracula (1958)
The following 5 users liked this post by Chad:
alyxstarr (10-10-22), EdTheRipper (10-10-22), Gobear (10-10-22), Trevor (10-10-22), Undeadcow (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday Night Trivia Question II: The Banner Edition

Once again, this year's banner is bigger than last year's and contains more images than previously used in the the past.

All you have to do is NAME 10 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. There's hundreds of images used, so plenty to choose from.

Easy access for the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images are from sources other than film posters (i.e. fan art, Blu-ray cover art, etc.).
2. Some films have multiple images used.
3. Some images have been slightly altered.
4. International posters are often used.
5. There's the usual few repeats from past banners.
6. Some are outside the horror genre, and those can be used as well.
7. Some answers lie within the subset posters.

Everyone that gets at least 10 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You'll be playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #2:

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive (USA only please):

Courtesy of...

Random.org will determine the winner.

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-22, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
Now I have to try to sneak in a movie or two while I am in the doctor's office forever tomorrow morning for a nuclear stress test. I'll have to try to find something safe to watch that won't potentially offend the usual patients who are 30+ years older than me.
So The Sadness it is!

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, tonight I made a Netflix double-feature of Morbius and Rob Zombie's The Munsters.
WillieMLF (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen Antlers (2021)? Man, I thought that one was really effective and creepy as hell. Also watched yet another adaptation of Burke and Hare last night, The Flesh and the Fiends. The ones I've seen before never really seem to get old, and I enjoyed Peter Cushing for the checklist. Some other highlights from the weekend were: The Feast (2021) HULU, Olivia de Havilland's Woman in a Cage (courtesy of DDD's Imprint sale). We watched The Wolf of Snow Hollow Saturday night to try and get a pallet cleanse from The Sadness. Love the humor from Wolf of Snow Hollow, but yes, the sheriff's son is a bit grating.

I'm at ~37 titles, and I'm starting to feel a bit worn. Going to watch the subset tonight, then settle in to some Halloween Baking Championship as a recharge.

Oh, and almost forgot. I've watched most everything Shudder has directed by Rob Zombie. The only ones I have to do are 3 From Hell, and The Munsters. I may bail on the former, but I'm kind of looking forward to The Munsters.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-10-22 at 08:56 AM.
jholmes (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 09:11 AM

Yeah, I really enjoyed Antlers. One of my last theater viewings iirc.
Old 10-10-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Lost Footage of Leah Sullivan is a found footage style film that fits the holiday theme today (set in December with some Christmas sweaters and trees) that is especially effective.
Edit: Christmas Presence, which should be on Shudder, is also very good but in a different less scary way.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-10-22 at 11:18 AM.
WillieMLF (10-10-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.