Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 18: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 08-01-22, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Theme/Subset List / The Checklist / TCM Oct 2022 Schedule / Trivia Question #1 / Trivia Question #2 / Trivia Question #3

Checklist is complete.

Theme Nights list is complete.

The Subset list is complete.

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

IBJoel's Out This World Moon Giveaway
Rules: You must watch your assigned film (any issues with that, see below) during the month of September and post about it here. You can have a full review, a link to a review, or just say you watched it. Of those who complete their film, I will select 3 winners. These winners will be PMed and must tell me their shipping address by October 10th. I will then send you your Blu-ray prize packs.
Name (alphabetical)-----Film-----Platform
alyxstarr-----In the Mouth of Madness COMPLETE
BobO'Link-----Halloween 1978 COMPLETE
Cardsfan111-----Dawn of the Dead 1978-----YouTube COMPLETE
Clckworang-----The Fog 1980 COMPLETE
Crocker Jarman-----Deep Blood-----Tubi COMPLETE
Darkgod-----Hausu/House 1978-----HBOMAX COMPLETE
Darth Maher-----The Thing 1982 (40th Anniversary) COMPLETE
Dimension X-----28 Days Later (20th Anniversary)-----HBOMAX COMPLETE
EdTheRipper----The Mist-----Netflix COMPLETE
Fist of Doom Jr-----Troll Hunter-----Prime, Kanopy COMPLETE
fiver-----Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child----- HBOMAX COMPLETE
Gobear-----Halloween III (40th Anniversary) COMPLETE
hbsvb-----The Cell-----Hoopla COMPLETE
Indiephantom-----Train to Busan-----Prime, Tubi, Shudder COMPELTE
jholmes-----28 Days Later (20th Anniversary)-----HBOMAX COMPLETE
lrend-----The Cell-----Hoopla COMPLETE
Mallratcal-----Dracula 1958-----HBOMAX COMPLETE
Mrcellophane-----The Fog 1980 COMPLETE
Numbercrunch-----Troll 2-----Tubi, Pluto, Hoopla COMPLETE
Orlmac-----Species II-----Tubi, Pluto COMPLETE
Shack-----The Exorcist-----HBOMAX COMPLETE
Shadokitty-----Mon Mon Mon Monsters COMPLETE
Shellebelle-----Witchboard-----Tubi, Shout! Factory, Shudder COMPLETE
Spiderbite-----Witchboard 2-----Tubi, Shout! Factory, Shudder COMPLETE
Sterling Ben------The Night Eats the World-----Tubi, Prime, Peacock COMPLETE
Tbone22-----Halloween III (40th Anniversary) COMPLETE
Toddarino-----The Night Eats the World-----Tubi, Prime, Peacock COMPLETE
Travis McClain-----Species II-----Tubi, Pluto COMPLETE
Trevor-----Troll 2-----Tubi, Pluto, Hoopla COMPLETE
Undeadcow-----Dracula 1992 (30th Anniversary)-----YuppTV? COMPLETE
Voorheshulk-----Death Spa-----Tubi COMPLETE
WillieMLF-----Prince of Darkness COMPLETE

How you watch your film is up to you. I'm not asking questions .If you cannot watch your assigned film for financial reasons (some are rental only) or just really don't want to spend $3 for a shot at winning some Blu-rays, let me know and I'll assign you another film (likely not from the previously-posted list). I cannot legally obligate you to spend money on this and I also ethically won't do it.

P.S. Streaming Platforms are as of August 30th. I don't know what will change in Spetember, but you can always take a look at https://www.justwatch.com/

[/b]
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 18: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 18: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Sorry for some late feedback regarding the checklist, there are a few 'recently deceased' items that might need to be revised (?).

Make-up Artists: I checked the recently deceased list in the thread wiki and did not find any recently decreased make-up artists; but it is a checklist item under Make-up Artists.
Directors: There are only two who might be directors - Ivan Reitman (arguably more of a producer) and Declan O'Brien (perhaps more of a writer); this might work as a checklist item under Directors but seems limited.

I checked each recently deceased celebrity and this is how I saw them divided up:
Spoiler:
Producer: Alan Ladd Jr, Martha De Laurentiis, Ivan Reitman (+Director)
Actor: David Warner, Clu Gulager, Veronica Carson, Louise Fletcher, Kenneth Walsh, Gilbert Gottfried, Bo Hopkins, Paul Sorvino, Art LaFleur, Laurence Dane, Anne Heche, Dean Stockwell, Meat Loaf, Fred Ward, Philip Baker Hall, Lenny von Dohlen, Henry Silva, James Caan, L.Q. Jones
Writer: Declan O'Brien (+Director)
Composer: Massimo Morante

Here is another link for Cannibalism (broken currently): https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066162946/
No problem. I'm running a little behind tonight, but will make the necessary revisions and have all the lists up by tomorrow night.

Thanks for the heads up.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 18: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Looks like I'm the last to get my assigned movie in. It's a doozy, though. Train to Busan is one that I'd been putting off for years, despite the acclaim. Just watched as the second half of a train-themed triple bill that began with the awesome Bullet Train which is a hilarious action comedy in the style of Edgar Wright. I thought it worked really well. Train to Busan is more serious and thoughtful horror, with that Asian knack for finding the emotional core in the darkest of situations. It has some of the best characters I've seen in a horror film since the early George Romero flicks. The cinematography is great and the locations are quite familiar to me, since I've spent a good deal of time in China and Japan and have been on these trains. Perfect setting for this story. Claustrophobic, intense and just wild all around. Good trivia from Joe Bob (watched on Joe Bob's Drive in), which helped to give me a break from the onslaught and was a cooler way to savor the impact. All in all, I'd give it a 9/10 and am eager to check out the follow-up. Ended the night with Snakes on a Train which is way more fun than I'd expected. Asylum knock-off done right despite cheesy as hell effects.
IBJoel (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Whoo! Congratulations everyone on finishing your films. I know this was a (mostly) popular game and I look forward to pulling names out of a metaphorical hat.

I'm glad that almost everyone had a great time with either an old favorite, a new classic, and even some watches that hold great personal significance.

For those of you who did not enjoy your watch, kudos to you for sticking it out. You didn't even ask me to change your movie!

Happy Halloween and good luck in the 18th Annual Horror Challenge! I hope each of you finds a movie you love this October. "Everyone's entitled to one good scare, eh?"
The following 6 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Darth Maher (09-30-22), mallratcal (10-01-22), Spiderbite (09-30-22), Trevor (09-30-22), Voorheeshulk (10-02-22), WillieMLF (09-30-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Whoo! Congratulations everyone on finishing your films. I know this was a (mostly) popular game and I look forward to pulling names out of a metaphorical hat.

I'm glad that almost everyone had a great time with either an old favorite, a new classic, and even some watches that hold great personal significance.

For those of you who did not enjoy your watch, kudos to you for sticking it out. You didn't even ask me to change your movie!

Happy Halloween and good luck in the 18th Annual Horror Challenge! I hope each of you finds a movie you love this October. "Everyone's entitled to one good scare, eh?"
They should all be bullets next time
IBJoel (09-30-22)
Old 10-02-22, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

And the winners are!
IB/Shout prize pack #1: BobO'Link
IB/Shout prize pack #2: Fiver
IB/Shout prize pack #3: Dimension X
Friday the 13th Digital Codes: Mallratcal
And finally, the SECRET BONUS Prize Pack I was able to put together at the last minute: clckworang
Please PM me your shipping addresses, hopefully tonight/tomorrow morning, as I will be in the office tomorrow. Mallratcal, I'll just PM you the codes.

Last edited by IBJoel; 10-02-22 at 02:35 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Dimension X (10-02-22), Gobear (10-03-22), mallratcal (10-03-22), orlmac (10-02-22), Trevor (10-03-22), WillieMLF (10-02-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-22, 01:02 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
And the winners are!
IB/Shout prize pack #1: BobO'Link
IB/Shout prize pack #2: Fiver
IB/Shout prize pack #3: Dimension X
Friday the 13th Digital Codes: Mallratcal
And finally, the SECRET BONUS Prize Pack I was able to put together at the last minute: clckworang
Please PM me your shipping addresses, hopefully tonight/tomorrow morning, as I will be in the office tomorrow. Mallratcal, I'll just PM you the codes.
This is great! Thank you very much for the codes!!

And thank you again for giving me a good movie.
Old 10-03-22, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congratulations to the winners. And thanks again for a fun contest IBJoel. I consider the fact that I discovered a new great movie prize enough anyway.
Old 10-04-22, 09:56 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats to the winners and thanks again to IBJoel, It was a nice addition this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by jholmes:
IBJoel (10-04-22), Spiderbite (10-04-22)