Reload this Page >

The Thirteenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Thirteenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Old 05-24-22, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Thirteenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Yesterday I watched an episode of Silverhawks that I had purchased years ago on Google Play. I know it was the same voice cast as Thundercats ​​​​​​,but at the same time, even though I didn't know any of the names, I swore I knew Bluegrass's voice from somewhere.
Old 05-30-22, 05:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've finished two more box sets. The first of the two was The Samuel Fuller Collection, s seven movie set from Sony. Fuller may be best know as the director and writer of The Big Red One which was not in this set. The films were made between 1937 to 1961 and Fuller's involvement ranged from co-scripting to writing and directing. I thought all of the movies were at least very good and some were excellent in particular Scandal Sheet, The Crimson Kimono, and Underworld U.S.A.. There were only a few special features with a total running time of less than an hour. More would have been appreciated.

The other set I finished was Forbidden Hollywood Collection Volume One, a three film set from TCM Archives and Warner Brothers. These pre code films starred Jean Harlow (Red Headed Woman), Mae Clarke (Waterloo Bridge), and Barbara Stanwyck (Baby Face). Jean and Barbara sleep their way to the top and Mae is a prostitute who falls in love with a young American soldier during the blitz. All were very entertaining and didn't pull any punches about what was going on.
Old 05-31-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I found Amanda's online which was a Fawlty Towers remake starring Bea Arthur. It was interesting revisiting a show I watched almost forty years ago with a few scenes sparking my memory -- which was a good thing . The series took an odd turn introducing Kevin McCarthy as a love interest for Bea Arthur. Apparently this was an attempt to save the show but the remake never captured the 'this is fine' inferno that the original series excelled at.

I found Snavely too which was a previous Fawlty Towers attempt with Betty White and Harvey Korman. It seemed more in line with the original series but again fell short of the mark. I may track down Payne starring John Larroquette at some point which is yet another failed Fawlty Towers remake.

Another great challenge with many thanks to Dimension X!
Old 05-31-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't believe I posted much in the discussion thread, but I enjoyed the month. I focused on Emmy winning television shows and caught seasons of Game of Thrones, Frasier, ER & Homeland. All were enjoyable for the most part. My goal was 100 "television hours" and I hit that earlier this morning. So I had fun and achieved success!
Old 05-31-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Unfortunately, due to a lot of traveling, work fatigue, and family obligations, I wasn't able to watch too much this month. However, I was able to watch 22 entries, including a couple of short television series: Young Royals and Heartstopper. Both are European shows about schoolboys dealing with their sexual orientations and the variety of problems that being LGBTQ can produce. Both were fun watches, and I'm eager to see the next seasons. I also managed to make it through a third of the stack of DVDs I bought from First Run Features for cheap last year.

It's been a lot of fun watching other people's lists grow! I especially enjoyed Travis's string of actors grow and lead to some movies that I'd never heard of.
Old 06-01-22, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

First off, thank you to everyone who participated. It's always fun to see the challenges people come up with.

Unfortunately, I've been feeling under the weather, and was unable to watch much after the second week of the month. I still had fun with the challenge, watching a few blind buys, and re-visiting a few old favorites I hadn't watched in years.
Old 06-01-22, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Well... I did pretty well and got in quite a few things off my unopened R2 pile. Just a couple left (unless I missed something). I really enjoyed the next to last series I watched, You Rang, M'Lord? - kind of a comedy version of Upstairs/Downstairs or Downton Abbey and absolutely wish the last, The Irish R.M., had more episodes.
Old 06-01-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope you feel better soon Dimension X. I did enjoy my trip back to my childhood. Though with broken glasses, I was sidelined for almost three weeks.
Old 06-02-22, 02:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for hosting Dimension X, I was able to make another dent in the unwatched pile. As to be expected with first time views, there were a few stinkers (Dracula, Tremors, Haunted). But there were also some winners that are now my new favorites (Evil, From Dusk Till Dawn, Outcast, A Discovery of Witches).
Old 06-02-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I got as far as 51/80 in my Eighty-Film 80s Daisy Chain project. I did watch at least one movie from each of my paid streaming services. I fell two short of my objective of ten each of my un-logged disc and digital libraries. I think the moment that everything fully clicked for me was when I got to Young Sherlock Holmes and Return to Oz. I'd always felt resurrecting those legacy characters was an odd choice in the middle of that decade. Watching them in this context, though, it was clear they were perfect for that era. They're protagonists who can't get anyone to listen to them or believe what they're saying. And they break some rules and think outside the box to get things done because no one else can or will. Sherlock Holmes and Dorothy Gale are cinematic siblings of Beverly Hills Cop's Axel Foley; Romancing the Stone's Joan Wilder; and End of the Line's Will Haney.

Top ten things I hadn't expected to see:
  • Wilford Brimley driving a stolen train engine right through a police car barricade (End of the Line)
  • Natassja Kinski spending most of a movie wearing a bear suit, including during a stage group sexual assault of a rapist (The Hotel New Hampshire)
  • A music video where the band is dressed in PEZ dispenser costumes (The Big Picture)
  • Helen Shaver doing coke in front of everyone at the dinner table (The Osterman Weekend)
  • A frog getting lost in cleavage (The Black Cauldron)
  • "March of the Winkies" from The Wizard of Oz incorporated into the club song, "Da' Butt" (School Daze)
  • Morgan Freeman smashing a bottle of Not-Yoohoo on the dashboard of a car and threatening a sex worker by holding it against her throat (Street Smart)
  • A manic Meg Ryan holding up a 7-11 (Promised Land)
  • A kid making Harry Dean Stanton smile by mimicking his movements from across the street all the way home (Paris, Texas)
  • A defiant performance of "Silent Night" played on an accordion (Pelle the Conqueror)