Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* Challenge Season 12 Discsussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge Season 12 Discsussion Thread

Old 01-11-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge Season 12 Discsussion Thread

I have the complete series of Xena myself, and might dip into it. I always enjoyed the show, and remember being saddened when I heard that Kevin Smith had been killed in a horseback accident.
Old 01-12-22, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

I noticed that Epix had the movie, Three Days of the Condor, which had been on my watchlist for ages. I liked it well enough to go ahead and check out their update TV series, Condor. They did a better job selling me on the Joe Turner character in the TV version than in the film, where we keep hearing how Redford is in entirely over his head but then he goes off and takes care of business like a seasoned pro. I think the expanded format of a ten-episode season is better suited for a character like that if the story is to be ostensibly "grounded", because there's more time to build in plausible, acceptable explanations for things.

However, overall the series falls flat and I can understand why it was axed after its second season. Most of the dialogue is either perfunctory or pretentious. Most of the plot twists are too obvious to be surprising. That could still have worked if we were squirming in our seats because we knew what the characters didn't yet know, but that was seldom the case. The only character to even be invested in enough to be bothered that we knew what she didn't was poor civvie wife Mae, and even there the sense is always that she's at risk of having her heart broken more than being in danger herself.

The show's biggest problem, though, is that Condor feels like an adolescent's idea of maturity. Joe consistently delivers soliloquies about not crossing lines and makes a big thing out of not crossing lines, only for the show to then shrug and cross that very line anyway. There's an ongoing conversation, particularly throughout the first season's scenes with Joe and his Uncle Bob, about how idealism has to yield to reality. But the debates are superficial and frequently nullified by subsequent events anyway, to the point one can only lose patience with Joe. By the end of the second season, Joe's lectures about crossing lines become entirely hypocritical and the show still doesn't seem to want to admit that it has no genuine interest in the matter. If the show is supposed to be about Joe toughening up and accepting that reality is not ideal, fine, but at some point Joe has to embrace that and not just be a hypocrite.

I did like the ensemble, though. William Hurt does a lot of the first season's heavy lifting as Uncle Bob, and Bob Balaban is reliable as yet another shady, upper management guy. I was unfamiliar with Kristen Hager until this series but thought she did a fine job tethering the show to a recognizable reality as the civilian wife, Mae. Likewise, Leem Lubany was terrific as a femme fatale revamp of Max von Sydow's assassin, Joubert.
Old 01-12-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I watched the last 7 episodes of season 1 of The Rightous Gemstones, I watched the first two when it aired.. and decided to finish it in front of season 2... and I am glad I did. Walter Goggins is so good.
Old 01-12-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I was tempted to record this season of The Amazing Race, because there was a big story on my local news yesterday. A local team was taking part in it this season. I didn't record it last night though, and I found out this morning from the same news that they were the very first team eliminated.
Not giving spoilers.. but you might want to watch it.
Old 01-16-22, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Over the last several days, I finally went through Ken Burns's Country Music. Despite being firmly left, country has long been my default genre. One of the things I appreciate about it is how well it does the pageantry of celebrating its past. Older artists often collaborate with younger artists; tribute albums have been commonplace for decades; and no one puts on a memorial show better than country artists. By osmosis through these kinds of things, I've absorbed a great deal of the history of the genre so I anticipated finding much of the doc redundant. That turned out to be the case, but I can't hold that against Burns. I can't take much issue with what's in the doc, but I have a great many misgivings about what's not.

The final episode title indicates that it covers 1984-1996, though because of Burns's fixation on Johnny Cash, the episode extends to cover his resurgence with Rick Rubin and his death in 2003. Amazingly, George Strait and Randy Travis are given a cumulative three or four minutes out of the entire two hours despite being two of the definitive artists of that era. More screen time is devoted to Kathy Mattea's "Where've You Been?" It's a touching song, certainly, but that disproportion is baffling. I'm sure it's because Mattea chose to participate as an interviewee, whereas I expect Strait hung up on Burns; he's not known for doing much outside his own albums and shows. Aside from Garth Brooks, the entire vaunted Class of '89 (Clint Black; Mary Chapin Carpenter; Alan Jackson; Travis Tritt) that was so instrumental in revolutionizing the genre are covered in a quick slideshow of one photo per artist with their names mentioned. Even their aggregate moniker, "Class of '89," goes unspoken. We hear plenty about Emmylou Harris (another interviewee) recording an acoustic album at the Ryman, though. Early 90's stars like Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and Toby Keith don't even get their names spoken when their single photos appear in a montage at the end of the episode.

I don't fault Burns for showcasing his interviewees, or for structuring the doc around a handful of key figures. That makes narrative sense. But for Bob Dylan to turn up in at least three different segments and Alabama to be represented with part of "Mountain Music" playing under the introduction of the Garth Brooks segment and its members to go unnamed is, frankly, insulting. I'd hoped to learn more about some of the artists outside the default canon, but even some of the key figures in that default canon are glossed over. Whisperin' Bill Anderson, Ronnie Milsap, and Mel Tillis are featured as interviewees, but not a word is spoken about any of their careers. The only people you'd learn were part of Sun Records are Sam Phillips, Elvis, and Cash. You have to stitch together information about Conway Twitty. Webb Pierce's name is spoken once that I caught. If anyone spoke of Jerry Reed, Oak Ridge Boys or Statler Brothers, I missed it.

I would still recommend the series, but with the caveat that it is woefully and frankly, unforgivably, incomplete.
Old 01-16-22, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
Over the last several days, I finally went through Ken Burns's Country Music. Despite being firmly left, country has long been my default genre. One of the things I appreciate about it is how well it does the pageantry of celebrating its past. Older artists often collaborate with younger artists; tribute albums have been commonplace for decades; and no one puts on a memorial show better than country artists. By osmosis through these kinds of things, I've absorbed a great deal of the history of the genre so I anticipated finding much of the doc redundant. That turned out to be the case, but I can't hold that against Burns. I can't take much issue with what's in the doc, but I have a great many misgivings about what's not.

The final episode title indicates that it covers 1984-1996, though because of Burns's fixation on Johnny Cash, the episode extends to cover his resurgence with Rick Rubin and his death in 2003. Amazingly, George Strait and Randy Travis are given a cumulative three or four minutes out of the entire two hours despite being two of the definitive artists of that era. More screen time is devoted to Kathy Mattea's "Where've You Been?" It's a touching song, certainly, but that disproportion is baffling. I'm sure it's because Mattea chose to participate as an interviewee, whereas I expect Strait hung up on Burns; he's not known for doing much outside his own albums and shows. Aside from Garth Brooks, the entire vaunted Class of '89 (Clint Black; Mary Chapin Carpenter; Alan Jackson; Travis Tritt) that was so instrumental in revolutionizing the genre are covered in a quick slideshow of one photo per artist with their names mentioned. Even their aggregate moniker, "Class of '89," goes unspoken. We hear plenty about Emmylou Harris (another interviewee) recording an acoustic album at the Ryman, though. Early 90's stars like Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and Toby Keith don't even get their names spoken when their single photos appear in a montage at the end of the episode.

I don't fault Burns for showcasing his interviewees, or for structuring the doc around a handful of key figures. That makes narrative sense. But for Bob Dylan to turn up in at least three different segments and Alabama to be represented with part of "Mountain Music" playing under the introduction of the Garth Brooks segment and its members to go unnamed is, frankly, insulting. I'd hoped to learn more about some of the artists outside the default canon, but even some of the key figures in that default canon are glossed over. Whisperin' Bill Anderson, Ronnie Milsap, and Mel Tillis are featured as interviewees, but not a word is spoken about any of their careers. The only people you'd learn were part of Sun Records are Sam Phillips, Elvis, and Cash. You have to stitch together information about Conway Twitty. Webb Pierce's name is spoken once that I caught. If anyone spoke of Jerry Reed, Oak Ridge Boys or Statler Brothers, I missed it.

I would still recommend the series, but with the caveat that it is woefully and frankly, unforgivably, incomplete.
Considering the long and deep history of the genre that's to be expected for such a short series. I recall it being mostly interesting but rather shallow, barely scratching the surface, more often than not. I felt like the early years were also pretty well glossed over. I like Johnny Cash but got quite tired of so much of the series seemingly revolving around his career and/or family.
Old 01-16-22, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Considering the long and deep history of the genre that's to be expected for such a short series. I recall it being mostly interesting but rather shallow, barely scratching the surface, more often than not. I felt like the early years were also pretty well glossed over. I like Johnny Cash but got quite tired of so much of the series seemingly revolving around his career and/or family.
Yeah, I didn't expect it to be entirely comprehensive, but I found it too imbalanced. It reminded me of the renewed interest in bluegrass when O Brother, Where Art Thou? came out and all of a sudden, old timey music was acceptable in highbrow circles for a few years. I got the sense Burns is one of those listeners.

I got a sense that it originated as a Cash doc that expanded the further Burns developed it. I wish he'd just done that, honestly. It would have been more satisfying for me as a big Cash fan. Several years ago, a friend and I went on a Cash-themed road trip that followed his life and career in reverse. We started with his and June's graves, then the Cash Museum, the Johnny Cash Rest Area (by pure happenstance!), Sun Records, and finally his restored boyhood home. It was wonderful. I think he's the only artist who can be traced so thoroughly in a taut road trip (provided one lives within reasonable distance of a starting point, anyway).
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've watched a few episodes of Lion Force Voltron this afternoon, and am starting to like Yurak. While Zarkon considered him a bumbler, he was actually quite a bad a**. There isn't much else I could do today with a nor'easter moving through our area, and dealing with a dog who has cancer.
Old 01-17-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be entirely comprehensive, but I found it too imbalanced. It reminded me of the renewed interest in bluegrass when O Brother, Where Art Thou? came out and all of a sudden, old timey music was acceptable in highbrow circles for a few years. I got the sense Burns is one of those listeners.

I got a sense that it originated as a Cash doc that expanded the further Burns developed it. I wish he'd just done that, honestly. It would have been more satisfying for me as a big Cash fan. Several years ago, a friend and I went on a Cash-themed road trip that followed his life and career in reverse. We started with his and June's graves, then the Cash Museum, the Johnny Cash Rest Area (by pure happenstance!), Sun Records, and finally his restored boyhood home. It was wonderful. I think he's the only artist who can be traced so thoroughly in a taut road trip (provided one lives within reasonable distance of a starting point, anyway).
I'd believe that it began that way with so much material provided by his family. You know... I grew up less than 20 miles away from Dyess (we called it "Dice" *not* die-ess like in that documentary) and can't say I've ever been to the "town" (more of a wide spot in the road - lots of those in that part of AR).
Old 01-19-22, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

I've been a little hit-and-miss this month, mostly catching up on football and Hallmark movies, but I did finish up The Sex Lives of College Girls (better than I expected) and took a good chunk out of the final season of Buffy, a project I started a few years ago. I'd never seen it so I decided to binge-watch it during appropriate challenge months (fortunately it counts for TV, action, MYO, fantasy, and horror). This season isn't great, but I did get through a bunch of episodes. I think what I really need to do is start digging into DS9 so I can resume my Trek journey. Having that specific focus makes me feel more like I'm actively participating in the challenge.
Old 01-19-22, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My oldest grandson and middle granddaughter are staying with us this week. He came Monday and asked if we could watch Game of Thrones - he's heard lots about it but has never seen the series. Sure! He's old enough now. So we watched the first 2 episodes that night. I'm always amazed at how much is set up in those 2 episodes. Things that won't come to fruition for several seasons as well as things that'll happen in just a few episodes. And every time I watch the series I lament how poorly the "show runners" handled the last couple of seasons (OK... really the last 3 but season 6 is still far superior to the crap they did to the series with S7/S8). But those first 5 seasons, before they ran out of books to adapt, are pure gold. I've been reading the novels for the first time and am finding that the vast majority of dialog is taken directly from that source. No wonder it was so good at that point and fell so much in those latter seasons (the show runners had never truly written much of anything original for the screen before this series with what they *had* written being rather poorly received - makes you wonder how they got this gig).

Anyway - he really enjoyed the episodes and I was careful to not spoil things for him (yes, he's managed to know know anything about what happens), only telling him vague things like "You've seen at least 6 people who'll not make it to the end of the series. And keep in mind that there's little to no "plot armor" on this series - no one's safe." He immediately recognized Sean Bean as "That guy who was in The Lord of the Rings movies." but *didn't* recognize Jason Momoa, even though he's seen Aquaman (though not as recently as The Lord of the Rings movies), until I jogged his memory. And he's heard of Dinklage (who hasn't, eh?) so was on the lookout for him. I'm always a bit taken aback at how differently Tyrion looks in the early seasons. The beard really changes his looks, IMHO, significantly for the better.

I'd hoped to get in E3/E4 last night but his best friend joined us for supper and hung around afterwards. No problem... we'll try again tonight. In spite of the rather poor ending seasons I can still watch this one over and over...
The following 2 users liked this post by BobO'Link:
Darkgod (01-20-22), davidh777 (01-19-22)
Old 01-20-22, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

It irks me to no end when a show's episodes are completely out of order on the dvd release. Despite being episodic and not serialized, it would still be nice to see things in the original order they aired as opposed to a seemingly random order. My son and I have been watching ALF of late and all of the sets have been like that so far. Just really annoying.
Old 01-20-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
It irks me to no end when a show's episodes are completely out of order on the dvd release. Despite being episodic and not serialized, it would still be nice to see things in the original order they aired as opposed to a seemingly random order. My son and I have been watching ALF of late and all of the sets have been like that so far. Just really annoying.
Sounds like they went with the production order instead. I ran into that problem last year when I streamed seaQuest on Peacock. If you don't do your homework to find out the broadcast order and manually select episodes individually, some major plot points get mangled. For instance, a character being killed in one episode but alive and well in the next.
Old 01-20-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like they went with the production order instead. I ran into that problem last year when I streamed seaQuest on Peacock. If you don't do your homework to find out the broadcast order and manually select episodes individually, some major plot points get mangled. For instance, a character being killed in one episode but alive and well in the next.
Yes, but sometimes production order is preferable to broadcast order, example: Firefly. Really, it's just like you say, do your homework to find the 'right' viewing order. The Prisoner (1967) is another interesting example.
Old 01-20-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
Yes, but sometimes production order is preferable to broadcast order, example: Firefly. Really, it's just like you say, do your homework to find the 'right' viewing order. The Prisoner (1967) is another interesting example.
True. At least Firefly is presented in the intended broadcast order on DVD and on Hulu. Incidentally, since I know that show is popular around here, if anyone is interested in checking out that series or just wants to revisit it for free, it's on Tubi. The sequel film, Serenity, is available on Peacock's free tier. The series is also on Hulu and the movie is on the ad-free premium tier of Peacock.

The Prisoner is streaming free on: IMDbTV; Pluto TV; Redbox; The Roku Channel; Shout! Factory TV; and Tubi.
Old 01-21-22, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Yeah I'm having a good ole time with this issue and Babylon 5. I will say that it's way easier to watch episodes in a preferred order when you're streaming than it is to do this with DVDs or Blu's.
EdTheRipper (01-21-22)
Old 01-22-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Getting near the last week, so I thought I'd check in with everyone. How's your challenge going? Hitting your objectives? Finding anything especially enjoyable or interesting? Any surprises?

I have completely failed with my primary objective of starting to revisit my childhood cartoon crazes. I took up The Roku Channel on some 99 month-long trial offers for Acorn TV, Epix, and Marquee TV and felt compelled to watch at least something off each to justify the $2.97. I started with the two seasons of Pennyworth on Epix. I found the 1983 mini-series Reilly--Ace of Spies on Acorn. By this point, I went on a spy kick so I checked out the film, Three Days of the Condor, and on Epix and both seasons of its spin-off series, Condor. Over on Marquee TV I found a concert film, Agents Are Forever, by the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra. I still hadn't watched my Warner Archive DVD of the 1989 Ian Fleming biopic, Spymaker: The Secret Life of Ian Fleming, which led to also checking out the 2014 limited series, Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond.

To be entirely honest, only Reilly--Ace of Spies was fully satisfying. I did also enjoy Agents Are Forever overall, but I questioned some of its set list.

From PBS, I finally checked out Country Music: A Film by Ken Burns and its accompanying concert film. There are things I appreciated about it, but as I posted earlier in this thread, its finale irked me.

As for current series I follow, I've seen the three episodes so far this month of The Book of Boba Fett and Star Trek: Prodigy. Without going into any specifics, I'll say I find Boba largely disappointing. I can appreciate the overall themes but I find the execution mediocre. It doesn't help that it relies on flashbacks and even flashbacks within flashbacks at times, or that half of Boba's dialogue sounds like it was written on Tumblr. My friends dig it, though, and I enjoy syncing with them each week for it. Prodigy, meanwhile, has been surprisingly satisfying. It may even end up being the most interesting Trek series of the CBS era by time it's done. It's not as diluted for younger viewers as I worried it might be, still full of Treknobabble. It's heavy on moral-of-the-week storytelling, but Star Trek has been about that going back to the original series. It's something I've missed in the serialized live action Trek of late. I'm also keeping up with Bob's Burgers. There's been one new episode in January to this point so not much to really say about it.

Lastly, tonight I got in the mood for sports and decided to check out ESPN+. I wound up getting caught up in the Australian Open. I don't know much about tennis but I appreciate that I don't really need to. I was greatly impressed by Madison Keys's performance in round 4. To my eye, she plays with a grace I saw in no one else. It was like she wasn't even playing so much as calmly demonstrating how one ought to move and swing.
Old 01-23-22, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had no real goals going in and have mostly been binge watching stuff that strikes my fancy at the time.

Over the past several months I completed my Will and Grace collection - a series I'd never planned to complete as it's not really a favorite. I watched it first run and found it enjoyable but nothing special and had purchased a S1/S2 pack years ago with a "That's enough of this one and provides a good sampling for the collection" mentality but never got around to watching them. When I stumbled across used copies of the other 6 seasons of the first go-'round for $3/each I thought "Why not?" so picked them up. Doing a binge watch I'm seeing just how shallow and disfunctional the characters are and am somewhat amazed it managed to run for 8 seasons much less get a recent relaunch. Most of it is rather generic sit-com material but it is also "agenda pushing" TV with several episodes/story arcs. And even though it's obviously pushing an agenda it rarely does anything with it often falling back on stereotypes. I still find it to be "just OK" and nothing I'll revisit very often, if at all, after this viewing.
Old 01-23-22, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should finish Babylon 5 by Wednesday and the Earth story feels wildly possible and scary this time around. I really with JMS had considered redoing and finishing the Crusade story as opposed to rebooting B5. Oh well.

I too am watching Boba Fett and Prodigy. The former is okay. It is opening the world a bit as I find myself asking background questions about characters and alien races that have popped up. Prodigy is okay. I know it's a kid's show but I honestly think the writers are portraying the kids as younger than they should/would be. It's hard to explain without spoilers but children are way savvier at a way younger age than adults give them credit for.

Old 01-23-22, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had a hard time really getting into the challenge this year, owing mainly to my dog being diagnosed with cancer. So, I really didn't make much of a dent in my goals. I did clear some things off of my DVR, though it was for naught anyway. I had to have my Dish receiver replaced, and had no way to back up my DVR, so lost all of my recordings.
Old 01-23-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I've had a hard time really getting into the challenge this year, owing mainly to my dog being diagnosed with cancer. So, I really didn't make much of a dent in my goals. I did clear some things off of my DVR, though it was for naught anyway. I had to have my Dish receiver replaced, and had no way to back up my DVR, so lost all of my recordings.
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, shadokitty. My pets are my family and it's so hard when they get sick. I have 2 cats, both with health issues, though neither quite as serious as cancer. It's still tough to see them suffer.

I feel for you for losing all your recordings! That happened to me several years ago when my DVR started glitching and had to be replaced. I know that you can buy removable chips to record on for some of the machines so that you wouldn't lose the recordings. Might be something to look into on your new one?

I've had a pretty slow month. I did watch a full season of M*A*S*H. I wasn't planning on it, but watched an episode during the holiday challenge and remembered how much I really enjoyed the show. Out of the many shows I have and remember watching as a kid, this is one of the only ones that actually holds up. Maybe because it was a show about the past anyway, there aren't too many cringe-y scenes. I appreciate that they tackle hard subjects head on and while there is racism in the show (true to the time period), they address it straight on.
shadokitty (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 03:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Been off work due to Covid for the last 2 weeks, so I've spent a lot of time watching, and catching up on TV.

The Addams Family - John Astin is great. Episodes are fun, but repetitive. By the end I was begging Morticia not to speak French.

Got an annual plan for Paramount+ so I got caught up on Star Trek Discovery and Lower Decks. Then I binged Ghosts in a day. Ghosts is hilarious and I love Rose McIver.

Purchased the Kolchak: The Night Stalker blu ray set and I'm loving it. I didn't know David Chase wrote so many eps!

Anyone else watching Doom Patrol? Season 3 starts off strong, but gets bogged down in the DaDa stuff.

Old 01-23-22, 05:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Stuff I've been watching:

Locke and Key - The kids still seem a little too casual about having access to superpowerful magic keys, but a good season. Preferred it to the first.
Cobra Kai - Another ridiculous, fun season. Love the addition of Terry Silver.
Arcane - Incredible animation, and I loved the voice work. The story didn't fully grab me, but I'm down for a Season 2.
Castlevania - A strange combination of gory violence, juvenile humor and religious mysticism. The character animation has a retro 90s kind of style, with some excellent background animation. Started out slow, but sucked me in.
The Book of Boba Fett - It's no Mandalorian.
The Beast - Forgotten Patrick Swayze vehicle that I really like.
Ozark - Only 3 eps in, but it looks to be going out on a high note. Love it, but what a stressful show to watch!
Old 01-23-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr View Post
Stuff I've been watching:
Arcane - Incredible animation, and I loved the voice work. The story didn't fully grab me, but I'm down for a Season 2.
I did NOT expect the season to end the way it did.
Old 01-24-22, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

I’m three episodes into The White Lotus. I can see why someone here called it the show to watch when you’re feeling too good about human beings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.