Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Old 11-30-21, 09:12 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,520
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

I think I'm done, though I might breakdown and slip in another tv ep, short or even movie (maybe, maybe not). Anyway, I finished with Boris and Natasha (1992), which was better than I expected but not as good has I hoped.
Old 12-01-21, 02:02 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

I'm also done. My list appears a bit sparse on many days because I've watched a season of Night Court and 4 seasons of Barney Miller in the "off times." I've just been lazy and didn't add them to the list.
Old 12-01-21, 03:49 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,816
Received 362 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

I mostly watched Hallmark but also saw some major new releases. tick, tick… BOOM! > Free Guy > Red Notice >>>> Jungle Cruise
Old 12-01-21, 06:27 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,287
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

I've been battling a nasty sinus infection, causing pain in my head and down through my jaw and into my teeth. I've been absolutely miserable and have barely watched anything recently. I did a course of antibiotics earlier in the month that seemed to do the trick, but it came back stronger. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so hopefully we can get something to really knock it out this time.

That being said, my list is complete. I didn't get to watch half of what I'd planned to, but that's okay.
Old 12-01-21, 11:20 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I've been battling a nasty sinus infection, causing pain in my head and down through my jaw and into my teeth. I've been absolutely miserable and have barely watched anything recently. I did a course of antibiotics earlier in the month that seemed to do the trick, but it came back stronger. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so hopefully we can get something to really knock it out this time.
Good luck with your Dr.! Every time I get a sinusitis attack that bad and have gone in they just say "Keep taking the antihistamines, take a pain pill (they say Tylenol but that stuff never works for me - I take plain old aspirin instead), do the sinus spray, and come back if it gets worse." I no longer go in but just increase the frequency of using a nasal wash (essentially a neti pot) from once to three times daily, take more aspirin, and it eventually goes away.

I've been unable to get them to give me the stronger antibiotics for a long enough duration in many years (mostly because insurance believes it's unnecessary - I beg to differ - I've had these all my life and *know* what works - if they'd give me the *right* antibiotic for a full 4 weeks I'd be OK for 12-24 months). They'll give me a standard "Z Pak" which kind of works but it'll just come back in a month or so. The *one* Doctor who knew me well enough (and once said "Quit wasting time and money coming in for this - you know when you have this so just call me and I'll call something in") would just call in what was needed. Unfortunately, he passed away ~20 years ago and the new one just won't do what I need.
The following users liked this post:
EdTheRipper (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 12:22 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,816
Received 362 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Hope you get some relief soon, Ed!
The following users liked this post:
EdTheRipper (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 05:24 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,287
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Thanks! My doctor's pretty good at knowing what I need. I got the previous antibiotic without seeing him at all, so that's a huge plus. He knows I've got a fairly high tolerance for pain, so if I bring something up during an appointment, it must be really bothering me. Tomorrow's appointment is a physical, so we'll cover all bases.
The following 2 users liked this post by EdTheRipper:
BobO'Link (12-02-21), davidh777 (12-01-21)
Old 12-03-21, 02:51 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,587
Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

My list is complete. I split my viewing between this challenge and Noirvember. It's hard to talk me out of watching Bogie. In fact, two of my viewings were Stand-In and Beat the Devil. Another two were Merrie Melodies shorts that were featured as extras on the To Have and Have Not and Dark Passage Blu-rays. Most of my remaining challenge choices consisted this time of episodes of Bob's Burgers and SNL; the various Abbott & Costello/Universal Monsters crossovers. I did also catch the latest Psych movie, This Is Gus, which I enjoyed. I love those knuckleheads. I was disappointed by Muppets Haunted Mansion. Enjoyed my second annual Thanksgiving Eve viewing of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. And that's that for my challenge. Maybe next year I'll dive deeper.
Old 12-03-21, 11:55 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
My list is complete. I split my viewing between this challenge and Noirvember. It's hard to talk me out of watching Bogie. In fact, two of my viewings were Stand-In and Beat the Devil. Another two were Merrie Melodies shorts that were featured as extras on the To Have and Have Not and Dark Passage Blu-rays. Most of my remaining challenge choices consisted this time of episodes of Bob's Burgers and SNL; the various Abbott & Costello/Universal Monsters crossovers. I did also catch the latest Psych movie, This Is Gus, which I enjoyed. I love those knuckleheads. I was disappointed by Muppets Haunted Mansion. Enjoyed my second annual Thanksgiving Eve viewing of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. And that's that for my challenge. Maybe next year I'll dive deeper.
OK... I never realized you were *that* user on HTF... I *almost* did Noirvember but went solely with comedy (and filled with TOS).
Old 12-03-21, 01:50 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,587
Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
OK... I never realized you were *that* user on HTF... I *almost* did Noirvember but went solely with comedy (and filled with TOS).
Nope, I'm not on HTF. I only participated on Letterboxd. I use the same user name on all my social media accounts, so there's never any guesswork who I am. It also makes me easy to find for anyone who is familiar with me and either wants to follow/friend/like/whatever me there, or wants to mute/block me if they're sick of me.
Old 12-03-21, 02:24 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
Nope, I'm not on HTF. I only participated on Letterboxd. I use the same user name on all my social media accounts, so there's never any guesswork who I am. It also makes me easy to find for anyone who is familiar with me and either wants to follow/friend/like/whatever me there, or wants to mute/block me if they're sick of me.
Just too coincidental, then... There's a "TravisR" over there and they just did the first Noirvember challenge on that site. It all just seemed to line up with your comment... Oh well.

I, too, am the same username everywhere (all two sites) - same avatar, too - for the same reasons as you.
Old 12-05-21, 03:06 PM
  #37  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,789
Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

I try to use the same name and avatars everywhere too, but am rarely quick enough to get Trevor, so alternatively choose TrevorDVDTalk or TrevorViking usually.
Old 12-05-21, 04:14 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,587
Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I try to use the same name and avatars everywhere too, but am rarely quick enough to get Trevor, so alternatively choose TrevorDVDTalk or TrevorViking usually.
I use my middle initial not because I'm pretentious but because I was too late to snag the GMail account with only my first and last names. For the sake of consistency, I use it across the web.

Just to keep on the topic of comedy, though, like I said, I didn't get to nearly as much as I'd hoped this year. The big project I didn't get to was the complete Three Stooges shorts collection. That box continues taunting me and I'm increasingly tempted to ditch the Holiday challenge for the next couple of weeks and gorge on that instead.
Old 12-05-21, 06:57 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
...The big project I didn't get to was the complete Three Stooges shorts collection. That box continues taunting me and I'm increasingly tempted to ditch the Holiday challenge for the next couple of weeks and gorge on that instead.
I'm a bit biased but would say it's absolutely worth the effort - go for it! I need to go through it again myself!
Old 12-09-21, 10:13 PM
  #40  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 48
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm a bit biased but would say it's absolutely worth the effort - go for it! I need to go through it again myself!
Can never go wrong with the Stooges!
Old 12-09-21, 10:49 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,816
Received 362 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

How long is that collection?
Old 12-10-21, 11:00 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
How long is that collection?
It's 25 years of shorts - roughly 64 1/2 hours worth.
Old 12-13-21, 11:44 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,816
Received 362 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
It's 25 years of shorts - roughly 64 1/2 hours worth.
So many shorts. That would be an achievement to remember!
Old 12-13-21, 06:17 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,587
Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So many shorts. That would be an achievement to remember!
I haven't started but whenever I do, it will make a mockery out of my Letterboxd stats!
The following 2 users liked this post by Travis McClain:
BobO'Link (12-14-21), Trevor (12-19-21)
Old 12-14-21, 12:19 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,903
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2021

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
I haven't started but whenever I do, it will make a mockery out of my Letterboxd stats!
You know... these were on TV so often in the 60s/70s that you *could* consider them as TVonDVD...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.