Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 17th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 17th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

Old 01-01-22, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 17th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

My annual overnight Christmas Carol marathon was truncated on account of me not feeling particularly grand most of the last week. I only made that night to the "Dickens of a Christmas" episode of the Back to the Future cartoon and A Sesame Street Christmas Carol, which is more just a glorified clip show using the skeletal framework of the visitations of the three ghosts. I tried to extend it into a "Twelve Days of Christmas Carol" thing, adding in successive nights:
  • A Christmas Carol (2017; Martin Prest's one-man stage show, filmed sans audience--I appreciated the ambition and would be keen to see the live version but it lost too much being a recording of a stage show with no audience)
  • Ebbie (1995; modern dress version with Susan Lucci, whom I found engaging)
  • My Dad Is Scrooge (2014 modern dress version with talking animals helping the kids get mom and dad back together; I don't want to put it down because its heart is in the right place but can't quite bring myself to defend, either)
  • All American Christmas Carol (2013 modern dress with a trailer park queen in the Scrooge place that's exactly what it advertised being)
  • RiffTrax: A Christmas Carol (riff on 1959 half-hour TV episode with Fredric March and Basil Rathbone, reprising their roles as Scrooge and Marley from the hour-long 1954 TV special; I never laughed, though I think I did chuckle once or twice)
Because I broke my streak by not getting to anything yesterday, I'm leaning toward abandoning the project altogether. It wouldn't count for this challenge even if I resumed anyway, of course.
Old 01-01-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 17th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

I did a big push of movies the weekend before Christmas, saving all of my new purchases for Christmas weekend. After that "push" weekend I never made it back to Holiday movies... all of the new stuff is still sitting close to the player taunting me...
Old 01-03-22, 08:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

I’ve thought about starting a separate shelf for all my Christmas Carol versions/homages on disc. Must have at least a dozen films and another dozen on various TV shows.
Old 01-03-22, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Iíve thought about starting a separate shelf for all my Christmas Carol versions/homages on disc. Must have at least a dozen films and another dozen on various TV shows.
I'm pretty sure it's Travis' goal to get all the versions of the Christmas Carol on disc as well!

I only have a few versions, myself, but I do have a lot of Christmas movies. For the most part, I have 3 large shelving units that hold my movies (not TV that's in other locations). I have them sorted alphabetically, with Disney pulled out in it's own section, but Christmas films are at the start in their own section as well, so it's easy to just go to that section and pull out a holiday movie rather than try to search through the collection.

I've been working over the last 2-3 years to try to watch every holiday film I have at least once. I put a good dent in it this year and was able to get over 100 watches. Granted, I do a 1=1 viewing so a short is counted the same as a film, but I'm still pretty pleased with that result.

Thanks for hosting, The Monkees!
Old 01-03-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

I, too, have *all* of the films I own that qualify as "Holiday" on their own shelves just to make it easy to find them when I'm in the mood for one (which *doesn't* have to be during a holiday period). I discovered this year that my anamorphic WS copy of Mixed Nuts *isn't* in that area (just the FS version)! I think I put it elsewhere because it's in a set with 5 non-holiday themed movies... oh well... it'll turn up at some point and I'll just relocate it then.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (01-03-22)