Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-18-21, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 486 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Chad
For those that don't follow the pre-challenge thread - theme/subset dates have been finalized.
Very cool list! Lots of stuff I haven't seen before.

The only thing that stuck out to me was Battle Royale. That's considered horror now?
Old 09-18-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Very cool list! Lots of stuff I haven't seen before.

The only thing that stuck out to me was Battle Royale. That's considered horror now?
I kind of always thought people accepted that one for the challenge. Not to rekindle some of the age old arguments on what counts as horror or not...
Old 09-18-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
I kind of always thought people accepted that one for the challenge. Not to rekindle some of the age old arguments on what counts as horror or not...
Amped up Lord of the Flies.

I’m sitting down to watch The Vigil (2020), and this movie has a great premise. I’m hooked
Old 09-18-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, didn't we leave the final arbiters as to what was horror or not up to the IMDB and AllMovie? If a film had horror listed as one of its genres on either site, it was okay to count. BATTLE ROYALE isn't listed as horror at either site.

Not that I mind it, since I love love love the film, but if we start going down that slippery slope it may very well muddy the waters in the future ("Whaddya mean PUFNSTUF and HOCUS POCUS aren't horror movies--they've got tons of witches in 'em!").
The following users liked this post:
T-bone22 (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just want to thank you for hosting again Chad. I’m going to need this challenge more than usual to get my mind off things. My dog died last night after falling off my bed.
My condolences. I hope the challenge helps provide a good distraction for you.
The following users liked this post:
shadokitty (09-20-21)
Old 09-18-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, didn't we leave the final arbiters as to what was horror or not up to the IMDB and AllMovie? If a film had horror listed as one of its genres on either site, it was okay to count. BATTLE ROYALE isn't listed as horror at either site.

Not that I mind it, since I love love love the film, but if we start going down that slippery slope it may very well muddy the waters in the future ("Whaddya mean PUFNSTUF and HOCUS POCUS aren't horror movies--they've got tons of witches in 'em!").
I've always treated this Challenge as a Halloween/Horror Challenge. So, yeah, Hocus Pocus (1993), sure why not. Plenty of people watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966) for/during the Challenge. Let's rain on their parade too. This purist horror thing has always rubbed my fur in the wrong direction.
The following 5 users liked this post by coyoteblue:
Darth Maher (09-18-21), Dimension X (09-18-21), Indy24LA (09-19-21), SterlingBen (09-19-21), Trevor (09-19-21)
Old 09-18-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Horror Films with Similar Plots
A Checklist Compendium

A Nightmare On Elm Street 1984 Bad Dreams 1988 Both are about people entering the dreams of others and being able to kill them in real-life by killing them in their dreams. 10 NOES Rip-offs

Gremlins 1984 Ghoulies 1985 Also Critters (1986). All involve small destructive, evil creatures.

The Return of the Living Dead 1985 Day of the Dead 1985 Both are zombie movies, released almost simultaneously, and arising from the collaboration between John Russo and George A. Romero on Night of the Living Dead.

Fright Night 1985 Vamp 1986 Also The Lost Boys and Near Dark (1987); All are vampire films involving teenage characters.

Gothic 1986 Haunted Summer 1988 Also Rowing with the Wind (1988). All are set in 1816 when Lord Byron, Mary Shelley, Percy Shelley and John William Polidori spend a summer in the isolated Villa Diodati by Lake Geneva.

Link 1986 Monkey Shines 1988 Also Shakma 1990. All are horror films with primates as the antagonist.

DeepStar Six 1989 Leviathan 1989 Also The Abyss, The Evil Below, Lords of the Deep (1989) and The Rift (1990); all are underwater thrillers involving explorers discovering strange new (and in most of the movies hostile) creatures in the ocean.

The Craft 1996 Little Witches 1996 Both are films about young teenage outcasts becoming witches.

Tale of the Mummy 1998 The Mummy 1999 Both are about mummies coming back to life and killing people.

End of Days 1999 Stigmata 1999 Also Lost Souls (2000); all are supernatural religious horror films involving the Catholic Church. Both End of Days and Stigmata star Gabriel Byrne as a main character. Both End of Days and Lost Souls involve the theme of Satan taking possession of a man's body.[8]

The Haunting 1999 House on Haunted Hill 1999 Both are horror films in which a group of strangers are brought under false pretenses to spend a night in a haunted house. Both based on original works from 1959 with similar names, the novel The Haunting of Hill House and the film House on Haunted Hill, respectively.

Scary Movie 2000 Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth 2000 Both are horror movie spoofs.[8]

Freddy vs. Jason 2003 Alien vs. Predator 2004 Both feature horror icons from the 1980s fighting against each other, while humans end up in the crossfire.

The Cave 2005 The Descent 2005 Both are horror films in which people encounter deadly creatures in a cave system.[8]

Repo! The Genetic Opera 2008 Repo Men 2010 Set in a dystopian future, both films are about one or more corporate-employed "repo men" who fatally repossess artificial organs when patients default on their payments.[31]

Life After Beth 2014 Burying the Ex 2014 Also Warm Bodies (2013). All three are romantic comedies involving zombies.[51][52]

Unfriended 2014 Friend Request 2016 Both are horror films with plots centered around social media.

A Quiet Place 2018 The Silence 2019 Both involve the world coming under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound.

Phantom of the Paradise 1974 The Rocky Horror Picture Show 1975

These stylish, horror rock operas don’t just happen to share genres. "Phantom of the Paradise" and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" also share plotlines so similar that they were actually billed as double features for a while. They both parody and are inspired by a slew of classic horror tropes, center on mad scientist creator pining after a love interest, and offer commentary on subversive gender roles, notwithstanding their similarly colorful aesthetics and art design. Though both are considered cult classics, fans of “Phantom of the Paradise” feel it is unjustly overshadowed in its legacy by “Rocky Horror” despite coming out a year earlier.

Night Of The Creeps 1986 Slither 2006

Evils Of The Night 1985 Evil Town 1987

The Amityville Horror 1979 The Shining 1980

Amityville Horror 1979 The Conjuring 2013

Aliens 1986 Shocking Dark 1989

Part of the list taken from this Wikipedia link.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad:
Darth Maher (09-18-21), Toddarino (09-19-21)
Old 09-18-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So as I said, I'm not trying to get into the genre arguments and I remember seeing some over the years that I didn't care for. And arguments outside of the genre discussions. But I do remember IMDb and Allmovie as genre references. I'm including a blurb from the first post from a prior year. I even remember at one point part of the argument for not getting too hung up on what a site says was silence of the lambs not being labeled horror at IMDb who may have been the primary reference at the time. Looks like it isn't at Allmovie either.

If you're uncertain of the title's genre classification the IMDB and AllMovie are the go-to sources for determining its potential horror movie status.Need more confirmation? A third and fourth option exists and that is FlickChart (requires free sign up) and TMDB.Of course, any site is prone to the occasional error and if you feel that's the case asking in the discussion thread is advised.Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone.
So with this guiding principle being used in the past being that the participant themselves is using their own judgement, I honestly just don't care what someone else counts.

I've been a part of quite a few of these over the years. I think my first may have been the first one. Some years, I've been more strict than others. At this point in my life it's a fun event that is kinda for my refreshment from the work grind before the holiday traveling and family trips. I don't spend as much time in this thread as I used to in some earlier days, but I still like hearing people's discussion. And for what this event is, I'm not going to spend that time complaining about what somebody else is watching, but adding their movies to my future watch queue.

I also won't get upset if the challenge were to get more strict. I'm just not going to take part in any of the arguments about it. I enjoy the event too much to get worked up over it all.

Sorry if this became too much of a ramble or I have confusing typos. I wrote this on my phone before bed and I'm not good at that.
The following 3 users liked this post by exharrison:
Dimension X (09-18-21), Gobear (09-18-21), rbrown498 (09-19-21)
Old 09-18-21, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

If gialli are considered horror, then there's no reason not to include Battle Royale. The concept of middle schoolers murdering each other certainly sounds horrific to me.
Old 09-18-21, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 408 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I've always treated this Challenge as a Halloween/Horror Challenge. So, yeah, Hocus Pocus (1993), sure why not. Plenty of people watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966) for/during the Challenge. Let's rain on their parade too. This purist horror thing has always rubbed my fur in the wrong direction.
So as I said, I'm not trying to get into the genre arguments and I remember seeing some over the years that I didn't care for. And arguments outside of the genre discussions. But I do remember IMDb and Allmovie as genre references. I'm including a blurb from the first post from a prior year. I even remember at one point part of the argument for not getting too hung up on what a site says was silence of the lambs not being labeled horror at IMDb who may have been the primary reference at the time. Looks like it isn't at Allmovie either.

So with this guiding principle being used in the past being that the participant themselves is using their own judgement, I honestly just don't care what someone else counts.

I've been a part of quite a few of these over the years. I think my first may have been the first one. Some years, I've been more strict than others. At this point in my life it's a fun event that is kinda for my refreshment from the work grind before the holiday traveling and family trips. I don't spend as much time in this thread as I used to in some earlier days, but I still like hearing people's discussion. And for what this event is, I'm not going to spend that time complaining about what somebody else is watching, but adding their movies to my future watch queue.

I also won't get upset if the challenge were to get more strict. I'm just not going to take part in any of the arguments about it. I enjoy the event too much to get worked up over it all.

Sorry if this became too much of a ramble or I have confusing typos. I wrote this on my phone before bed and I'm not good at that.
As stated, IMDb isn't perfect. It's a good guide, but ultimately you should just watch whatever the hell feels right to you, and don't worry what other people watch (other than to get suggestions for flicks you'd like to watch too).
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Gobear (09-19-21), rbrown498 (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I would strongly recommend you watch it ASAP. Spoilers for this film are starting to fly, and this will play much better if you can go in as blind as possible.
Luckily, for me, the sites that post reviews don't spoil it on their Facebook. They just mention to focus on the last 20-30 minutes. I'm also saving it until October 1st, maybe 2nd cause Venom comes out in theaters.
Old 09-19-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I was going to say, Hocus Pocus, being a Halloween movie and all, def should count. That movie was even played 2 years ago for an all night horror movie thing at this indy theater.
Old 09-19-21, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X
As stated, IMDb isn't perfect. It's a good guide, but ultimately you should just watch whatever the hell feels right to you, and don't worry what other people watch (other than to get suggestions for flicks you'd like to watch too).
Exactly. None of the sites are perfect and they all have their own standards of deciding what the top genres/subgenres are. I just remember that Silence of the Lambs example being used as why we shouldn't rely too much on a site.
Old 09-19-21, 10:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 620 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I would strongly recommend you watch it ASAP. Spoilers for this film are starting to fly, and this will play much better if you can go in as blind as possible.
Agree 1000%. See Malignant ASAP, and go into it completely blind. One of my favorite film watches in quite awhile.
Old 09-19-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 486 Posts

Sorry about bringing it up. I usually stay out of the fray on this kind of stuff but that title just stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Especially being listed on a subset list.

Originally Posted by Gobear
If gialli are considered horror, then there's no reason not to include Battle Royale. The concept of middle schoolers murdering each other certainly sounds horrific to me.
Let's not be too simplistic here. I find the concept and actions in Goodfellas horrific, but wouldn't consider it for a horror or Halloween movie. See the slippery slope? Will Hunger Games (a blatant ripoff of BR) count as a horror/Halloween movie? I still will never forget someone several years ago wanting to qualify Spider-Man because the concept of the Green Goblin was scary....or something like that. Whatever. To each his own.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I was going to say, Hocus Pocus, being a Halloween movie and all, def should count. That movie was even played 2 years ago for an all night horror movie thing at this indy theater.
I have always thought anything Halloween related should count. Even Teen Wolf or the old children's 70's TV show The Monster Squad could count. Actually, I don't give two shits what people put on their own personal lists. If they want to count something as horror related on their personal lists, then I really don't care. I drawn the line on my own personal lists. I know if I watched Battle Royale in October, there would be no way I would consider putting it on my list, even if I watch it as a subset.

I guess I always considered the subset list kinda fool-proof and a great way to discover many horror/Halloween type stuff that I have never heard of or seen before or are known classics of the genre. Was just really surprised to see that movie as a subset title.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
rbrown498 (09-19-21), T-bone22 (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Sorry about bringing it up. I usually stay out of the fray on this kind of stuff but that title just stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Especially being listed on a subset list.
I think that it's good to discuss this and get different opinions. My problem with it is that it's in the subset list as well. I've wrestled with whether BR is a horror film since the first time that I saw it back in the early aughts, and I'm still not certain.

Since Chad assembled the subset list from all of the choices, he must think that it's a horror film, so I'll obviously go along with his decision. Maybe after everyone's watched it, we can talk about it in the film's dedicated discussion thread. I think that it'll be most interesting to see what side of the issue everyone falls on after a fresh (or in some people's cases, a first) watch.
Old 09-19-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

Let's not be too simplistic here. I find the concept and actions in Goodfellas horrific, but wouldn't consider it for a horror or Halloween movie. See the slippery slope? Will Hunger Games (a blatant ripoff of BR) count as a horror/Halloween movie? I still will never forget someone several years ago wanting to qualify Spider-Man because the concept of the Green Goblin was scary....or something like that. Whatever. To each his own.
I don't think I'm being simplistic: I was also surprised to see BR as a subset item, but its intense violence and suspense are more analogous to The Belko Experiment (listed as Horror on IMDB) than The Hunger Games where the killings happen mostly offscreen, and we have always counted serial killer films as horror. Chad also included my suggestion Witchfinder General, a Vincent Price historical drama about a real person, Matthew Hopkins, who profited from denouncing old women as witches during the English Civil War, that is included as Horror on IMDB, but has fewer killings than BR.

The Spider-Man thing was absurd, but I have zero interest in list policing. I have a strong preference for supernatural horror, and that is usually the bulk of my viewing in October.

I have always thought anything Halloween related should count.

Agreed. I have always counted The Paul Lynde Halloween Special as 1/2 of a title which I usually combine with Charlie Brown and Garfield's Halloween as a full check.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-19-21 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 408 Likes on 247 Posts

I have always thought anything Halloween related should count. Even Teen Wolf or the old children's 70's TV show The Monster Squad could count. Actually, I don't give two shits what people put on their own personal lists. If they want to count something as horror related on their personal lists, then I really don't care. I drawn the line on my own personal lists. I know if I watched Battle Royale in October, there would be no way I would consider putting it on my list, even if I watch it as a subset.

I guess I always considered the subset list kinda fool-proof and a great way to discover many horror/Halloween type stuff that I have never heard of or seen before or are known classics of the genre. Was just really surprised to see that movie as a subset title.
I gave up on the theme nights and subset list a few years back after watching some subset movie (don't recall what it was) that I didn't think had anything to do with that day's theme (which I also don't recall). I don't blame Chad or whoever suggested the movie - if they hadn't seen it, they might have relied on flawed reviews, or they had seen it and had a flawed memory of the film, or maybe a good argument could be made that the movie fit the theme and I just didn't see it.

In the end, your position that you "don't give two shits what people put on their own personal lists" is the position everyone should take (this isn't a competition - so what the other participants include on their lists has no effect on your list). Just watch a bunch of movies and/or TV shows and have fun doing it.

EDIT: Added TV shows to "a bunch of movies" above because they count too now, but didn't for several years. Which is another thing people can get worked up over if they're so inclined. I counted TV shows for a while after they became eligible, but stopped listing them (for various reasons) and went back to movies only, but if other people watch and list TV shows, good for them. I hope they enjoyed what they watched.

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-19-21 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Gobear (09-19-21), MysterioMan007 (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 05:34 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Interesting discussion regarding Battle Royale. I think what is happening is that the lines of what is horror are becoming more blurred because other genres ( dramas, thrillers and action films) are evolving and becoming more graphic and bloody in content.

In my view, Battle Royale is a direct inspiration from the classic Most Dangerous Game and that film is also considered an action , thriller not horror. I think the only thing that puts Battle Royale in a horror category is the extreme over the top gore, but we are seeing more and more of that in the action/thrillers , ex. John Wick.
Old 09-19-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I mean it's got a zombie in it too, really anything with a walking corpse should count... (he says as he nervously looks over at My Boyfriend's Back on the 'to watch' shelf).
The following 2 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
Darth Maher (09-19-21), lrend (09-20-21)
Old 09-19-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Interesting discussion regarding Battle Royale. I think what is happening is that the lines of what is horror are becoming more blurred because other genres ( dramas, thrillers and action films) are evolving and becoming more graphic and bloody in content.

In my view, Battle Royale is a direct inspiration from the classic Most Dangerous Game and that film is also considered an action , thriller not horror. I think the only thing that puts Battle Royale in a horror category is the extreme over the top gore, but we are seeing more and more of that in the action/thrillers , ex. John Wick.
Yes, very interesting stuff. Battle Royale was very much in your face about the violence, and that was 20 years ago. Its very savage compared to its anemic cousin, The Hunger Games. It’s got a lot of horror themes running through it, and I completely consider it to be ideal horror fare. No zombies limping about, but I also consider The Most Dangerous Game to be horror as well. Don’t get me started on the shot for shot remake, Game of Death.

This argument seemed more coherent before I started to finish this box of wine...

Last edited by WillieMLF; 09-19-21 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 746 Likes on 485 Posts

The 1932 version of The Most Dangerous Game does have a horror tag on IMDB. As for Battle Royale, I never considered it horror until it started showing up on people's lists. It's a hard action movie to me, and not even the hardest action movie around.

Interesting discussion. This is why I mentioned doing a horror movies that aren't horror theme. Though I think it would be super hard to do, there are actually a lot of examples.
Old 09-19-21, 08:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

What I think is so interesting is how this discussion is going. No ugliness, no rude comments, I really like the group that we have doing the challenge these days compared to the group in the past. For me, it's very simple because I am one of those literal people. A movie makes it on my list in one of two (ok, three) ways. Either it has a horror tag, it is close but doesn't really make it and I have to use a wildcard, or it is officially ok because Chad said so. It seems like many years one movie slips through on the subset/theme night but I assume it's deliberate on Chad's part and if he approves it I'll watch it and get what I get out of it. I also assume that the reason Chad might let one through is because he wants us to be a part of the decisions made for this challenge. I think that's part of the reason this thread is so easy to read now. Being literal makes life really easy but I am enjoying reading a true discussion on this movie without any rudeness.
Old 09-19-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 746 Likes on 485 Posts

Oh, the Spiderman example was actually Amazing Spiderman because the poster thought the Lizard was scary. I remember that one.

All that being said, I was considering counting Venom this year.
Old 09-19-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So one reason I don't get too amped over what is counted is because it is kind of hard to box in what truly qualifies something as a horror movie outside of referring to a tag on an external site(which I don't see in post 1 of this year's challenge yet). We have spent a decent amount of time saying that BR is action, but we aren't qualifying what a horror movie is and why BR doesn't fit that criteria. And I think that qualification means different things to most people and why some people don't think twice about it and some people would never have considered BR to be horror.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.