Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-14-21, 05:16 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,669
Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by exharrison
I'm pretty sure I've asked in a previous year, but I'll see if there are any new recommendations. Every year, I try to line up 6-7 horror movies to watch with my wife. She tends to like some of the lighter fare and especially those with a group of kids teaming up against something. Some that she enjoyed the most:
Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, The Halloween Tree, Silver Bullet

Conversely she also enjoys thrillers and serial killer stories that are more deliberate and less gory like:
Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Seven - This was almost too far for her tastes

Any recommendations to add to the list this year?
All of these are available either on disc or streaming or both:
  • Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
  • Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
  • The Runaway Bus (1954)
  • The House in Nightmare Park (1973)
  • The 'Burbs (1989)
  • Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
  • Blood Fest (2018)
  • The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Maybe one or two of them will be acceptable.


The following users liked this post:
exharrison (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 06:53 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
All of these are available either on disc or streaming or both:
  • Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
  • Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
  • The Runaway Bus (1954)
  • The House in Nightmare Park (1973)
  • The 'Burbs (1989)
  • Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
  • Blood Fest (2018)
  • The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Maybe one or two of them will be acceptable.
She liked 'Burbs (I love it). I've strongly considered Tucker and Dale because she also likes Cabin in the Woods so it occupies some of the same pallet. I'm gonna look into a few of these because you've pulled some I haven't heard of or haven't seen so haven't thought about before.

EDIT: The House in Nightmare Park sounds like one we could enjoy together, too. Thanks for that one as I've never heard of it before.
Old 09-14-21, 08:33 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Received 155 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I agree with Behind The Mask. Saw it on Chiller one year, and within the month, I had ordered the DVD.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-15-21)
Old 09-14-21, 09:04 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,257
Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

She might like a little movie from 1989 called Lisa, starring Cheryl Ladd and directed by Gary Sherman, who directed Dead and Buried. It's streaming on Paramount +.

If she hasn't seen it already, she might like The Stepfather. Go with the 1987 original with Terry O'Quinn (even though the very '80s synth score has dated BADLY). It's streaming for free with ads on the Roku Channel, Vudu, and Tubi.
The following users liked this post:
exharrison (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 12:15 AM
  #130  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by exharrison
I'm pretty sure I've asked in a previous year, but I'll see if there are any new recommendations. Every year, I try to line up 6-7 horror movies to watch with my wife. She tends to like some of the lighter fare and especially those with a group of kids teaming up against something. Some that she enjoyed the most:
Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, The Halloween Tree, Silver Bullet

Conversely she also enjoys thrillers and serial killer stories that are more deliberate and less gory like:
Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Seven - This was almost too far for her tastes

Any recommendations to add to the list this year?
The oddball Canadian kid's flick The Peanut Butter Solution (1985). It really defies description and isn't strictly horror, but would definitely qualify for this challenge.

Since Lisa and The Stepfather was mentioned I have to throw out a recommendation for Scream for Help (1984). I believe I referred to it as a 'Lifetime movie on crack' a couple years back. It's a fun one that's written by Tom Holland, and would make for a great triple feature with those two.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chad:
Boondock Saint (09-22-21), exharrison (09-15-21), SterlingBen (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 09:55 AM
  #131  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by rbrown498
She might like a little movie from 1989 called Lisa, starring Cheryl Ladd and directed by Gary Sherman, who directed Dead and Buried. It's streaming on Paramount +.

If she hasn't seen it already, she might like The Stepfather. Go with the 1987 original with Terry O'Quinn (even though the very '80s synth score has dated BADLY). It's streaming for free with ads on the Roku Channel, Vudu, and Tubi.
Lisa sounds like it might go either way. I'll preview it at the beginning of the month to get an idea on how she would react. I always forget about the original The Stepfather because I disliked the remake. If it is like the remake, but better I think she would like it. I'm going to add that to the pool of movies.

Originally Posted by Chad
The oddball Canadian kid's flick The Peanut Butter Solution (1985). It really defies description and isn't strictly horror, but would definitely qualify for this challenge.

Since Lisa and The Stepfather was mentioned I have to throw out a recommendation for Scream for Help (1984). I believe I referred to it as a 'Lifetime movie on crack' a couple years back. It's a fun one that's written by Tom Holland, and would make for a great triple feature with those two.
The Peanut Butter Solution does look like something she could enjoy. I've never watched Scream for Help and only know it from Tom Holland's obviously biased opinion of it. Now your description sounds intriguing. I'm marking them both down.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! My wife enjoys watching horror and horror-adjacent movies with me in October, but with her tastes being a bit narrower in the genre than mine, we burn through ones that I know at a faster pace than I tend to find new ones on my own. So these recommendations really help me keep this a fun annual event for my wife.
Old 09-15-21, 04:11 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)



Well, that came out of nowhere. Wonder if there's a new Shudder series on the horizon?
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad:
exharrison (09-15-21), WillieMLF (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 04:57 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Huh, that could be interesting. Cool for Shudder to be putting out new Briggs and Elvira. All that delightful horror host content...

More info here:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/368...-9-15-10am-ct/
Old 09-15-21, 10:11 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,733
Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

That may tip the scales on actually subscribing to Shudder for me... Can I share the sub with someone like Netflix/Disney+ ?
Old 09-16-21, 11:16 AM
  #135  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
That may tip the scales on actually subscribing to Shudder for me... Can I share the sub with someone like Netflix/Disney+ ?
That is a good question... I don't know their policy, but I can check capability on my phone and my tv today.

Edit: I was able to play a stream on my Roku, my kindle and my laptop. So they can allow 3 streams. Their policy on sharing may be different.

Last edited by exharrison; 09-16-21 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SterlingBen (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 04:44 PM
  #136  
Senior Member
 
cwileyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 351
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

What is everyone planning to watch as their first movie for the challenge? I believe Road Games was selected as the boutique crossover title, but thinking to put on Suspiria first. Haven't seen the 4K for this yet, and I'm due to for a rewatch!
Old 09-16-21, 04:48 PM
  #137  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

ive got three planned for crossover night.

road games
beauty and the beast (1946)
man bites dog
Old 09-16-21, 05:21 PM
  #138  
Senior Member
 
cwileyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 351
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Man Bites Dog is crazy. Have you seen it before?
I really need to see Beauty and the Beast. My wife wants to see it, so might be a good selection for the challenge...
Old 09-16-21, 06:03 PM
  #139  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Received 155 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Regarding my first watch, not sure of the title, but I do plan on it being a Theme compliant title.
Old 09-16-21, 07:43 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Recently Deceased Actors
A Checklist Compendium


Julie Strain (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (42 titles)

William Smith (R.I.P.)
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (25 titles)

Carmine Capobianco (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (19 titles)

Thomas "Tiny" Lister (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (17 titles)

Daria Nicolodi (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (17 titles)

Christopher Plummer (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (12 titles)

Barbara Shelley (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (10 titles)

Cloris Leachman (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (8 titles)

Shin'ichi "Sonny" Chiba (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (7 titles)

Ned Beatty (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

Hal Holbrook (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

Yaphet Kotto (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

Walter Olkewicz (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

David Prowse (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

Peter Mark Richman (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)

Clarence Williams III (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)


Old 09-16-21, 07:44 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Recently Deceased Directors
A Checklist Compendium

John "Bud" Cardos:
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (16 titles)

Renť Cardona III (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (14 titles)

Monte Hellman (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (10 titles)

Richard Donner (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (9 titles)

Norman J. Warren (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (8 titles)

Alberto Grimaldi (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (5 titles)


Old 09-16-21, 07:45 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Recently Deceased Makeup Effects Artists
A Checklist Compendium

Robert Green Hall (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (56 titles)

Cleve Hall (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (27 titles)

Giannetto De Rossi (R.I.P.):
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (12 titles)


Old 09-17-21, 05:16 AM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Man Bites Dog is crazy. Have you seen it before?
..
haven't seen it, but heard alot of noise about it.
Old 09-17-21, 04:25 PM
  #144  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 819
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I am sure that many (maybe most) people don't pay a lot of attention to the ratings that movies have on the IMDB but I like to play around with statistics and I worked up our subset films and the average IMDB rating for the subset films chosen this year is 6.53. I think this has to be the largest average for any year, but if it isn't it still shows that going by the IMDB rating we are going to have a great year this year. Only two more weeks to wait and then we can start watching!
Old 09-17-21, 11:34 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

For those that don't follow the pre-challenge thread - theme/subset dates have been finalized.
Old 09-17-21, 11:43 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by cwileyy
What is everyone planning to watch as their first movie for the challenge? I believe Road Games was selected as the boutique crossover title, but thinking to put on Suspiria first. Haven't seen the 4K for this yet, and I'm due to for a rewatch!
That Synapse UHD is gorgeous.

Outside of probably catching Road Games, I haven't planned out my viewing schedule yet. I'll get back to you on that.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I am sure that many (maybe most) people don't pay a lot of attention to the ratings that movies have on the IMDB but I like to play around with statistics and I worked up our subset films and the average IMDB rating for the subset films chosen this year is 6.53. I think this has to be the largest average for any year, but if it isn't it still shows that going by the IMDB rating we are going to have a great year this year. Only two more weeks to wait and then we can start watching!
I'm surprised my pick got as high as it did. A 6.2 isn't bad at all for a semi-obscure Mexican supernatural slasher that isn't exactly original, but it deserves it, IMO.
Old 09-18-21, 02:14 AM
  #147  
Senior Member
 
Fist of Doom Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 273
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by orlmac
I am sure that many (maybe most) people don't pay a lot of attention to the ratings that movies have on the IMDB but I like to play around with statistics and I worked up our subset films and the average IMDB rating for the subset films chosen this year is 6.53. I think this has to be the largest average for any year, but if it isn't it still shows that going by the IMDB rating we are going to have a great year this year. Only two more weeks to wait and then we can start watching!
I'm proud to say my pick pulled down that average.
Old 09-18-21, 05:44 AM
  #148  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Received 155 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I just want to thank you for hosting again Chad. Iím going to need this challenge more than usual to get my mind off things. My dog died last night after falling off my bed.
Old 09-18-21, 10:23 AM
  #149  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

^I'm very sorry to hear that. You have my sympathies.
The following users liked this post:
shadokitty (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21, 10:48 AM
  #150  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 819
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just want to thank you for hosting again Chad. Iím going to need this challenge more than usual to get my mind off things. My dog died last night after falling off my bed.
I"m sorry to hear that shadokitty. My dog is on his last legs and it is really bothering me. I can feel your pain and loss and I hope that the challenge helps you with that.
The following users liked this post:
shadokitty (09-18-21)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.