Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-23-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Shack
Happy sincerest of pumpkin patches to those who observe!

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, the original wildcard, will be shown Sunday night on PBS, 7:30 EST (at least in my town).
Somehow it just isn't the same without Dolly Madison cupcake commercials.

Old 10-23-21, 09:00 AM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by clckworang
Which one would that be?
sorry,

i was talking about empty man and posted in wrong thread. old age i guess
Old 10-23-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
I''m using a wildcard on Dune tonight. Excited!

ET:A: I loved Dune. 5/5 stars. Just wish I could sit down and watch part 2. I wonder how long we'll have to wait. <sigh>
Anyone else doing this? I'd love to watch Dune, but I'm having a hard time talking myself into using a wildcard for it.
Old 10-23-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else doing this? I'd love to watch Dune, but I'm having a hard time talking myself into using a wildcard for it.
I don't judge other people's choices. Overall, the new version is far grander than the 1984 film, although I thought the look of Villeneuve's film was dull and monochromatic compared to Lynch's film. The Baron has been dulled down too, although I am loving Dave Batista as Beast Rabban. Timothee Chalemet underwhelms as Paul, but maybe he will step it up in the second film (assuming there is one.) The use of location shooting in Norway, Abu Dhabi, and Jordan adds heft and depth to Dune, unlike Lynch's use of Churubusco Studios in Mexico City to depict alien environments.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-23-21 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-23-21, 12:15 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I thought the point of the wildcards was to watch something not designated as horror? There are some horror elements (like the sand worms). But no, it's not horror.

Use for titles that lie outside the horror genre and normally wouldn't qualify or for those questionable titles you're not 100% certain about.

I'm going to be well over 100, so I suppose I don't need to put it on my list. But since we have wildcards, and I haven't used any yet, why not?
Whether or not you use it for your list, it's amazing. See it. I watched it on HBO Max, but I'd like to go see it in theaters too.

I liked Chalmet as Paul. He's much more age-appropriate to the role than Kyle MacLaughlin, who was an adult and looked like it. Though I admit, Chalmet is more about his dramatic looks than real acting chops.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-23-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-23-21, 12:48 PM

Interesting cross-over.... Bruce Campbell is starring in a Hallmark Christmas movie called One December Night. Premiers Nov 13.
https://qcapproved.com/?s=one+december
Old 10-23-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the point of the wildcards was to watch something not designated as horror? There are some horror elements (like the sand worms). But no, it's not horror.

Use for titles that lie outside the horror genre and normally wouldn't qualify or for those questionable titles you're not 100% certain about.

I'm going to be well over 100, so I suppose I don't need to put it on my list. But since we have wildcards, and I haven't used any yet, why not?

Exactly. If you want to use Dune as a wildcard, do it. That's what wildcards are for.

I liked Chalmet as Paul. He's much more age-appropriate to the role than Kyle MacLaughlin, who was an adult and looked like it. Though I admit, Chalmet is more about his dramatic looks than real acting chops.

Kyle and Timothee were both 25 when they played Paul. Timothee still has a twink physique, so he looks more convincing as a teen than Kyle, but Kyle was by far, IMO, the better actor. I'm just not getting "future god in embryo" vibes from Chalamet's performance.
Old 10-23-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,280 Likes on 786 Posts

I think the key part is what I underlined. I don't think anyone would confuse Dune as a horror movie. I actually think the new Venom movie fits that above description better but definitely not Dune.

But at the end of the day...to each his own.
Old 10-23-21, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Kyle and Timothee were both 25 when they played Paul. Timothee still has a twink physique, so he looks more convincing as a teen than Kyle, but Kyle was by far, IMO, the better actor. I'm just not getting "future god in embryo" vibes from Chalamet's performance.
I know what you mean. He looks quite convincing as a young nobleman, but his emoting is very underplayed. Some might say wooden. I still liked him though.
Old 10-23-21, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I think the key part is what I underlined. I don't think anyone would confuse Dune as a horror movie. I actually think the new Venom movie fits that above description better but definitely not Dune.

Yes, but there's an OR in there. OR for those questionable titles. But I will PM Chad to be sure.
Old 10-23-21, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Bringing this forward since people are probably beginning to think seriously about the checklist. If you watch all the subset films, you can pretty easily complete the checklist.

So this list of checklist items satisfied by the Subset films is probably nearly complete. I’ve left unchecked several items that are likely fulfilled but I haven’t researched or watched yet to verify.

Checklist items from Subset films

Select 10 actors:
-X- Clancy Brown - The Mortuary Collection
-X- Brad Dourif - Wilding
-X- P.J. Soles - Carrie
-X- Recently Deceased (Daria Nicolodi, Opera) -

Select 2 director:
-X- female directors - Elsa Kephart - Slaxx
and Deborah Brock – Slumber Party Massacre II

Select 2 film composers:
-X- Alan Howarth - Planet Terror
-X- Claudio Simonetti - Opera
-X- Pino Donnagio – Carrie

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
-X- Rick Baker - The Frighteners
-X- KNB EFX Group - Planet Terror

Select 2 producers:
-X- Dino De Laurentiis - Evil Dead 2
-X- Jason Blum – Freaky

Select 2 writers:
-X- Christopher Landon - Freaky
-X- Dardano Sacchetti - A Bay of Blood
-X- Kiyoshi Kurosawa – Cure

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
-X- *3-D Film - Silent Madness
-X- Anthology Film - Body Bags
-X- Appears on They Shoot Zombies, Don't They - The 1,000 Greatest Horror Films - multiple
-X- Based on a Novel - The Ninth Gate
-X- Candy Cinema, 2 - Carrie
-X- Comedy / Spoof - Cutting Class
-X- Death by: Electrocution - Carrie
-X- Director or Writer Cameo in Own Film / Film Adaptation, 2 - The Frighteners
-X- Distributor / Studio: Kino Lorber - A Bay of Blood
-X- Documentary - In Search of Darkness
--- Dream Horror -
-X- Drunk Horror - Slither
-X- Euro Horror - Daughters of Darkness
-X- Enzo Sciotti Art - Evil Dead 2
--- Film From Someone Else's 'Best of' List -
--- Film From TCM October 2021 Schedule -
--- Firearms -
-X- Flashback - Slither
-X- Fog, 2 - Wilding
-X- Folk Horror - Witchfinder General
-X- Ghost / Haunting - The Frighteners
-X- Giallo - A Bay of Blood
-X- J-Horror - Battle Royale
-X- Kaiju / Giant Monster - Curse of the Demon
-X- Killer / Evil Child - Battle Royale
-X- Made-for-TV Movie - Body Bags
-X- Mad Scientist - Planet Terror
-X- Name In Title - Carrie
--- Ouija Board -
--- Phobias -
--- Psychological -
--- Quarantine -
--- Rape / Revenge -
-X- Shudder Original / Exclusive - Slaxx
-X- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Silent Madness
--- Slow Motion -
-X- Split Personality - Fade to Black
-X- Suicide - Carrie
-X- Takes Place in a High School - Cutting Class
-X- Takes Place in a Library - Carrie
-X- Takes Place on a Mountain - A Bay of Blood
-X- Title Spoken By Character, 2 - multiple
-X- Travelogue - Daughters of Darkness
-X- Vampire - Daughters of Darkness
-X- Voyeurism - multiple
-X- Werewolf - Wilding
-X- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Witchfinder General
-X- With Commentary - any
-X- Zombie - Planet Terror

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
-X- 1921 (100th) -
-X- 1946 (75th) -
-X- 1971 (50th) -
-X- 1996 (25th) –

Select 1 from the following anniversaries:
-X- 40th Anniversary of Elvira's Movie Macabre - Witchfinder General

Select 3 from the following horror film tropes:
--- Killed during sex -
--- New House, New Problems, 2 -
--- No cell phone service -
--- Making dumb decisions -
-X- The creepy gas station attendant - Body Bags
--- The evil doll that comes to life -
-X- The mirror scare - Silent Madness
-X- The suddenly unpredictable vehicle - Freaky

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
-X- PG - Road Games
-X- PG-13 - The Gate
-X- R - multiple
--- NC-17 -
-X- Unrated - multiple
--- M -
--- GP -

​Select 6 decades of film history:
-X- Pre-1930 - The Phantom Carriage
--- 1930 -
-X- 1940 - The Spiral Staircase
-X- 1950 -
-X- 1960 -
-X- 1970 - multiple
-X- 1980 - multiple
-X- 1990 - multiple
-X- 2000 - multiple
-X- 2010 -
-X- 2020 -

Watch 1 film with a recently deceased personality:
-X- Recently deceased list - Opera

Watch a movie and its remake back to back on the same day:
--- Original -
--- Remake -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
(English), (most).
(Cantonese), (The Untold Story).
(Spanish). Grave Robbers
(
Japanese), Cure or Battle Royale

Watch 2 films with similar plots:
-X- Film #1 - Slither, if paired with below or similar
--- Film #2 - Night of the Creeps

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Features a character waking up from a nightmare -
--- Was made in the 1990s -
--- Features a LGBT character -
--- Features a severed head -
--- Has a scene in a nightclub -
-X- Was shot in Mexico - Planet Terror
--- Takes place at a national park -
--- Features a funeral scene -
-X- Title includes Return of / Curse of / Bride of / Son of - Curse of the Demon
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
Gobear (10-24-21), WillieMLF (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whether or not you use it for your list, it's amazing. See it. I watched it on HBO Max, but I'd like to go see it in theaters too.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Yes, but there's an OR in there. OR for those questionable titles. But I will PM Chad to be sure.
There's no need to PM Chad about it. It's your list. You can do with it whatever you want. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I guess I see it more like Spiderbite does. The point for the wildcard is more for questionable/borderline titles or ones you go into thinking are horror but turn out not to be.

I guess I wouldn't knowingly go into watching a movie that's not at all horror with the intention of counting it. That's just me and why I was asking if others were doing the same with Dune. Heck, if it's one of those things that people are widely doing, maybe I could convince myself to do the same. Maybe.

It reminds me a bit of when someone wanted to count The Amazing Spiderman. Even as a wildcard, I think that's more than a stretch, but I don't look at others' lists or police them.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-23-21 at 03:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
EdTheRipper (10-23-21), Spiderbite (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 888 Likes on 574 Posts

Does spooky gambling count as an event?

*i’m only joking.
Old 10-23-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Iíve been behind 2 titles for the month and Iím getting back on track today. Iím dog sitting for the next few hours and Iíll be pulling up Tubi for some 40s-50s horror goodness.

I started to read Dune a few months ago, and boy did I forget what a slog it was the first time. I wonít deny that Iím looking forward to the new movie, but there are all kinds of qualifiers that go with that statement.
Old 10-23-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

The 90s were a weird time for horror, huh? We had the ending of some icons...at least for awhile and the creation of a new one with Scream and, well, then came the knock offs. I tried to avoid most of those and focus on the strange mix that 90s horror was pre and post Scream!

71. Grim Prairie Tales (1990)*
72. Popcorn (1991)*
73. Dust Devil (1992)*
74. Ed and His Dead Mother (1993)*
75. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)*
76. Tales From the Hood (1995)*
77. Bad Moon (1996)*
78. The Night Flyer (1997)*
79. Phantoms (1998)*
80. Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)*

Highlights:
Popcorn! That was fun and made me want to see the movies in the movies. In the Mouth of Madness (can't believe I'd never seen that one) and the very quirky Ed and His Dead Mother.

PS: Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!
The following 4 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Crocker Jarmen (10-24-21), jholmes (10-23-21), SterlingBen (10-23-21), Trevor (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

For those who love 80s horror soundtracks, I totally recommend all the Horror Synth mixes on Youtube.

The 198x Vol1 and 2 are great:

As are the It Came From The 80s!
Vol 1-8
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 09:54 PM

There's no need to PM Chad about it. It's your list. You can do with it whatever you want. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I guess I see it more like Spiderbite does. The point for the wildcard is more for questionable/borderline titles or ones you go into thinking are horror but turn out not to be.

I guess I wouldn't knowingly go into watching a movie that's not at all horror with the intention of counting it. That's just me and why I was asking if others were doing the same with Dune. Heck, if it's one of those things that people are widely doing, maybe I could convince myself to do the same. Maybe.

It reminds me a bit of when someone wanted to count The Amazing Spiderman. Even as a wildcard, I think that's more than a stretch, but I don't look at others' lists or police them.
I wanted clarity on what the *actual* rule was. Chad replied that wildcards can be used for *anything* not just horror-adjacent or questionable titles. I know everyone has their own way of challenging themselves, and more power to them/you!
Gobear (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 888 Likes on 574 Posts

I’m embarrassed to admit I watched Demons for the first time today. Fuck that was awesome.
Kurt D (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't police them either but I do look at them for possible reviews or suggestions on things to watch during the challenge or in the future. But if someone lists something that myself or someone else may think is ridiculous, no one is going to call anyone out on it.

Sorry to jump back into the fray on this but I guess I have never have quite understood the whole Wildcard thing anyway. Why do people want to put a movie on their list that clearly has nothing to do with Horror or Halloween? To pad their list? So they feel they can watch something other than horror and still make it count for something? I plan on seeing the new James Bond movie this week during October but I wouldn't want to list it...wildcard or not. I also watched episodes of Hell's Kitchen (my kid loves it) all this month but would never think of counting it. I have just been always confused over why it is even brought up so that is why I stay out of the thoughts on it...most of the time (he said sheepishly). I started a fire with the whole Battle Royale question early on and regretted it. I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this one too...but oh well. Too late for that.

I guess you could call me somewhat guilty. Once it was decided we could watch TV episodes that have to do with horror or Halloween, I do watch and list them. But I don't think I list anything that has zero to do with horror or Halloween but someone else might.

So...long story to get here but like clckworang stated...it's your list. Count what you want.
Darkgod (10-24-21)
Old 10-23-21, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't really get it either. My thinking with wildcards would be like movies like Kiss the Girls. It's more thriller. Or maybe Freaked because it isn't listed as horror but has some of those elements. I think I've ended up using wildcards for movies with plots that sound like it could be horror adjacent (like it has a ghost or a haunting) but doesn't turn out to play that way. The Canterville Ghost is about a haunting but isn't a horror movie at all. I think Ed Wood would be a good wildcard candidate as well. Definitely not a horror film but about people who worked in it. Matinee would be a good wildcard, too.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-24-21 at 12:14 AM.
Spiderbite (10-24-21)
Old 10-24-21, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted clarity on what the *actual* rule was. Chad replied that wildcards can be used for *anything* not just horror-adjacent or questionable titles. I know everyone has their own way of challenging themselves, and more power to them/you!
The actual rule is that it's your list and you can do what you want with it. Chad isn't going to tell you that you can't count something. There is no official judge or arbiter. No one is reviewing lists and making revisions. If you want to count non-horror movies in a horror challenge, have at it. Why bother even using a wildcard for that matter? Just count what you want.
Spiderbite (10-24-21)
Old 10-24-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Well, I made my 50, so I'm going to ease off to mostly one movie a night and more tv and shorts for the rest of the Challenge.
Old 10-24-21, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Not sure how much more I will get this month. Iíd like to watch more, but if yesterday was any indication, I wonít get much more in. We got a new puppy yesterday, and I didnít get anything at all in, because Sparky kept me on my toes, and even when laying down, he was in bed right in my face.
Old 10-24-21, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am at 70 counting my TV show viewings. Don't think I will hit 30 more in a week but I am doing much better than I expected for the month.

So something I enjoy doing is searching Spotify for certain podcasts that review movies after watching many of these for the challenge. I don't listen to a lot of podcasts regularly and usually find many mostly annoying with people who try to be interesting or funny that are only dull and obnoxious. But I have discovered a few gems this time around I would like to share. If any of you have some particular podcasts or reviewers that you think are worth listening to, please post them.

Here are a few I have listened to with some quick critiques

Great:
Show Me The Meaning! (2018 - Spotify): Eraserhead - Really solid podcast. Have to check out more from these guys.
Spoilers! (2019 - Spotify): The Collector (2009) - Movie Review! #246 - Very enjoyable group of guys ripping this movie to shreds.

Good:
Horror Queers (2020 - Spotify): The Ruins - These guys know their horror and are pretty entertaining discussing it.
Monster Kid Radio (2015 - Spotify): #197 Dealing The Mummy's Hand - The guest was better than the host but at least this host is not annoying. Enjoyable podcast.
Horror Movie Talk (2019 - Spotify): Sleepaway Camp Review - These guys are actually funny and not too annoying like most podcasters.; (2021): Slither Review

Disappointing:
The Evolution Of Horror (2018 - Spotify): The Amityville Horror (1979) & The Changeling (1980) - Great guest but the host was poor. Drink every time he says "Yes" or "Brilliant" and you will die in 3 minutes.

Stay far, far away from:
Nightmare On Film Street (2021 - Spotify): The Ruins & Turistas - Fucking terrible. A couple who think they are hilarious but are truly horrible to listen to. Wanted to pull my ears off.
HyperWeather (10-25-21)
Old 10-24-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today, I'm thinking some Monty Python for the European theme and maybe follow it up with The Many Saints of Newark. Another productive day in the horror challenge!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.