Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I helped one year, it was a nightmare. I wonder.. if we could outsource the work maybe to a low-end freelancer? I'd throw in $5-$10. Wonder how much it would cost to crunch the data?
Crunching the data isn't a big deal. Getting the data into something that can crunch it is the choke point. Anyone willing to do it is doing it for love not money and even love has limits.
Old 09-02-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Well, if everyone would agree to a standardized, comma delimited format for displaying their data, it would be relatively easy to import it into a spreadsheet or database. After that the rest is pretty straightforward. That'll never happen though, so..¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This would also be awesome to be able to upload said CSV into a program that would convert it to HTML and post it here in the List thread.
Old 09-02-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
This would also be awesome to be able to upload said CSV into a program that would convert it to HTML and post it here in the List thread.
Yes, but that's just formatting (making it pretty). You're not doing anything with it.
Old 09-02-21, 03:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

We've started the process of getting our house ready to list, so I just boxed up all my movies . I'll be 100% reliant on streaming this go around, so it will be interesting.
Old 09-02-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I found this page that lists every TCM film for this month and October, if people want to make viewing plans.
The following users liked this post:
shellebelle (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Just announced. Joe bob's Halloween Hoedown is airing on Shudder October 8th
Early this year.

Spoiler:

Save for theme/subset table.

Just added the Shudder 61 Days of Halloween and Freeform October schedules to the TCM/Channel schedule table on the first post. It WILL be updated this year. Removed Chiller TV from it due to it ceasing operations in 2017 and all.

Originally Posted by Gobear
I found this page that lists every TCM film for this month and October, if people want to make viewing plans.
This one I'm waiting for the all horror version before updating. Halloween Daily News or iHorror should put it up any day now.
Old 09-02-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

It's a social movie review site that I almost joined like 10 years ago but so many social networks were going defunct at the time I figured this one would too. I don't know I am still new there maybe now that I have joined they are on the verge of shuttering, just kinda trying to branch out considering the writing on the wall over here.. still interested in reading everyones reviews after DVDTalk...
Damn. Shit got real here. Everybody take something on your way out.
Old 09-02-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the Bruno Mattei masterpiece Cruel Jaws was just in stock at DD. It's currently backordered but has been popping in and out of stock recently, so might be worth keeping an eye out for if you missed the boat and don't wanna pay inflated prices.

If you haven't heard it was pulled from Severin (alongside the novelization) presumably by Universal for the unauthorized Jaws footage. Maybe the Jaws 5 slip played a small part as well? We all laughed at the "buy it now before the cease and desist orders" warning, but who's laughing now? I'm guessing Severin, and they'll probably still sell some at conventions.

It's also currently up on Tubi, at least for the time being.
WillieMLF (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 09:19 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Here's my Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/tbdave/
Old 09-03-21, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Here's my Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/tbdave/
Nice. I followed you.

Here is mine: https://letterboxd.com/SofaSinema/ I am quite active on Letterboxd. Would like to find others on here to follow. I went back in the thread, but if there is anyone I missed just let me know and I'll give you a follow. It is my fave app.

Last edited by indiephantom; 09-03-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I’ve been saving all my horror purchases for the year in anticipation of the challenge. Lots of first time views for me.
Old 09-03-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
We’re all winners just by participating!

But yeah, the results thread was a crap-ton of work that Chad appeared to put as much work into as the preparation threads! So he retired from making the results threads several years ago. I did a simplified version of them once or twice, and have started work on one for last year. I’ll try to get it posted before October.
This might work. You wouldn't get 100% participation, but it would be interesting to see how much participation there was. Basically, everyone does double entry. At the bottom of the page hidden by comment tags, everyone enters their media in the agreed upon comma separated format. Keeping the data format short and simple would increase the likely hood of participation. At the end of the Challenge everyone that wants their data used for a results thread can post it (copy/paste) and then you can grab it for importing (some massaging is unfortunately inevitable). Something to think about.

Old 09-03-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This might work. You wouldn't get 100% participation, but it would be interesting to see how much participation there was. Basically, everyone does double entry. At the bottom of the page hidden by comment tags, everyone enters their media in the agreed upon comma separated format. Keeping the data format short and simple would increase the likely hood of participation. At the end of the Challenge everyone that wants their data used for a results thread can post it (copy/paste) and then you can grab it for importing (some massaging is unfortunately inevitable). Something to think about.

I nominate coyoteblue to be in charge of this and to do all the thinking for us. Are we all agreed?
Old 09-03-21, 03:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a social movie review site that I almost joined like 10 years ago but so many social networks were going defunct at the time I figured this one would too. I don't know I am still new there maybe now that I have joined they are on the verge of shuttering, just kinda trying to branch out considering the writing on the wall over here.. still interested in reading everyones reviews after DVDTalk...
Where did you hear that Letterboxd was in trouble?

Thought I'd mention this limited edition box - 'Silver Screams Cinema'. By far the best place to pick it up seems to be fishpond.com (good price and free shipping), but if you want it in time for October, you need to order now more or less. I ordered one today and it's supposed to show up the first or second week or October. As far as I can tell it's all region.
At that price, I couldn't help but order! However, I realized quickly that I probably should have checked the site reviews and they're not good... has anyone used Fish Pond before?
Edit: Reading more, it could work out! At that price it's worth the risk (for comparison, it's $60 w/o shipping from Imprint's website).

Originally Posted by Chad
So the Bruno Mattei masterpiece Cruel Jaws was just in stock at DD. It's currently backordered but has been popping in and out of stock recently, so might be worth keeping an eye out for if you missed the boat and don't wanna pay inflated prices.

If you haven't heard it was pulled from Severin (alongside the novelization) presumably by Universal for the unauthorized Jaws footage. Maybe the Jaws 5 slip played a small part as well? We all laughed at the "buy it now before the cease and desist orders" warning, but who's laughing now? I'm guessing Severin, and they'll probably still sell some at conventions.

It's also currently up on Tubi, at least for the time being.
Severin has made those "Buy it before the cease and desist" claims a few times (Shocking Dark with the Terminator 2 slip and Night Killer with the TCM 3 slip), but this looks like the first time they've actually been hit by it.

Last edited by cwileyy; 09-03-21 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's my Letterboxd profile...
https://letterboxd.com/edtheripper/

I don't write reviews, but I do log everything I watch and rate it using their star system.
Old 09-03-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

So... definitely no Jaws 5 slips on the DD ones, eh?
Old 09-03-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Severin has made those "Buy it before the cease and desist" claims a few times (Shocking Dark with the Terminator 2 slip and Night Killer with the TCM 3 slip), but this looks like the first time they've actually been hit by it.
Don't forget Beyond Darkness with the Evil Dead 5 slip.

So... definitely no Jaws 5 slips on the DD ones, eh?
If only. I know they sold out sometime during last year's challenge because I distinctly remember being mad about missing it and the bundle with the novelization. At least I was able to snag the Blu during the mid-summer sale.

Spoiler:

Old 09-03-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminder the Indie/Arthouse and Comedy Crossover Voting is currently happening in the pre-challenge thread. Started it slightly later than intended so it won't be up as long as usual.
Old 09-04-21, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I nominate coyoteblue to be in charge of this and to do all the thinking for us. Are we all agreed?
You're being facetious, but I've thought about it and I'm willing to take care of a results thread this year at least, if we use my methods. If not, then I won't and nothing's really changed.

I'll provide more detailed instructions if I get the go ahead.
To keep things simple, only movies. Everyone that wants to be counted needs to create a second movie list at the bottom of their list page. Format should look like this:

"Movie", Year, "Director", "Country", "Color", "FTV", "User"
Examples:
"X The Unknown", 1957, "Leslie Norman", "GB", "B&W", "N", "coyoteblue"
"Gremlins", 1984, "Joe Dante", "US", "Color", "Y", "coyoteblue"

You can use
Spoiler:

or or a html comment to hide the list (I think a html comment works better). The formatting isn't written in stone, but, once again, the simpler it's kept, the more people are likely to comply.
When a person has finalized their list they can post it and then I can collect the list, and when they're all collected I can import them and then I can do aggregate stats followed by individual stats. The kind of stats would be like:

Aggregate
Grand total # of movies
Grand total # of First Time Views
List of users who watched a given movie
Countries
Movies by Country
# of color movies
# of b&w movies
etc...

Individual
Total # of movies
Total # of First Time Views
# of color/b&w movies
Countries
Movies by Country
etc...

Yea or Nay?

Last edited by coyoteblue; 09-04-21 at 12:22 AM.
Darkgod (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

You're being facetious, but I've thought about it and I'm willing to take care of a results thread this year at least, if we use my methods. If not, then I won't and nothing's really changed.

To keep things simple, only movies. Everyone that wants to be counted needs to create a second movie list at the bottom of their list page. Format should look like this:

Examples:

You can use
Spoiler:

or or a html comment to hide the list (I think a html comment works better). The formatting isn't written in stone, but, once again, the simpler it's kept, the more people are likely to comply.
When a person has finalized their list they can post it and then I can collect the list, and when they're all collected I can import them and then I can do aggregate stats followed by individual stats. The kind of stats would be like:

Aggregate
Grand total # of movies
Countries
Movies by Country
# of color movies
# of b&w movies
etc...

Individual
Total # of movies
# of color/b&w movies
Countries
Movies by Country
etc...

Yea or Nay?
I’d be into it. I imagine you would get less than 50% participation though. Maybe we could pitch in and everyone do an abandoned list too?
Old 09-04-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Examples:

You can use
Spoiler:

Aggregate
Grand total # of movies
Countries
Movies by Country
# of color movies
# of b&w movies
etc...

Individual
Total # of movies
# of color/b&w movies
Countries
Movies by Country
etc...

Yea or Nay?
I support such an idea. It might be easier if we added a header so you can just ctrl+f for "stats_list_header". Of course, that is just me. And if I had my way, we'd have a header and footer and be able to export the whole thread into a file and then run a parser that yanked everything from the header and footer tags [stats_list][/stats_list]. But I'm just one of those people
Darth Maher (09-06-21)
Old 09-04-21, 09:16 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
We’re all winners just by participating!
I'm basically in this camp, as I recall the dark old days of questioning people's health and honesty in reporting big stats. I think originally we'd aim for 100 (or another goal) and celebrate reaching that.

But I admire anyone who'd take on crunching the numbers further.
Old 09-04-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
I support such an idea. It might be easier if we added a header so you can just ctrl+f for "stats_list_header". Of course, that is just me. And if I had my way, we'd have a header and footer and be able to export the whole thread into a file and then run a parser that yanked everything from the header and footer tags [stats_list][/stats_list]. But I'm just one of those people
Work with the tools you got access to. Besides, it's difficult to parse an image .

Last edited by coyoteblue; 09-04-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shack
I'm basically in this camp, as I recall the dark old days of questioning people's health and honesty in reporting big stats. I think originally we'd aim for 100 (or another goal) and celebrate reaching that.

But I admire anyone who'd take on crunching the numbers further.
It's definitely about more than how many movies anyone watched. I think it'd be interesting to see what movie was the most watched or what decade was the most watched (and list the movies) or what year in a given decade was the most watched (and list the movies), etc...
Old 09-06-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Work with the tools you got access to. Besides, it's difficult to parse an image .
Well, the parser would just be taking the text between the stats tags. Wouldn't need to worry too much about images being caught up in it as they'd just get left out of the output by the parser. But it is all kind of irrelevant since such export functionality doesn't exist and I have not enjoyed writing scrapers for forum threads in the past so I wouldn't want to try that this time

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.