Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-01-21, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I only saw it the one time that it was a Sunday night movie Chad. Been many years. I decided to go with the original Dawn Of The Dead for both my opening movie, and my theme movie for tonight. I have the DVD, but lack of motivation had me looking to stream it on my Chromecast. I happened to find a few different versions of it on YouTube. One thing that caught my eye was I could have sworn that Tom Savini was one of the bikers. Lo and behold, I saw his name as one of them in the closing credits.
He also has a cameo in Land of the Dead, presumably as the same biker.
Old 10-01-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Great opening day to the challenge. Already onto my third film and so far each one has worked well for the "fermentation" theme. I'm also drinking beer, which I rarely do alone and it's adding to the fun. Still have to set up my page properly but I've so far done three FTW and am on my second Ozploitation flick right now with Razorback which featured an awesome pub and it just popped up on Shudder in time for the challenge. Highly recommended killer boar goodness from the eighties. I feel like it was a subset pick that I somehow missed prior to now.

Old 10-01-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Blumhouse dropped two movies on Amazon Prime, and two more next week. I watched Bingo Hell already and liked it, now watching Black as Night, They seem better than the ones that dropped on Hulu last year.
Old 10-01-21, 10:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Greetings everyone! Day one... always so exciting! I'm starting out with "Pledge" and "The Black Cat", two first time views so we'll see how that goes.

Gobear, I love that drive-in photo, is that real or Photoshop?
Old 10-01-21, 10:09 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I decided to torture myself by finishing the Dungeon of Andy Milligan box set this morning. I watched the last two films I haven't seen, Carnage and Blood. Christ almighty.

Carnage (1984) - By the 1980's one would have hoped that Andy Milligan was able to improve his films in some fashion, but based on Carnage, that doesn't appear to be the case. This "Hatchet for a Honeymoon" tale is just as dull and inept as his films from the 1970s. Having finished the Andy Milligan box set, one of the most painful, patience testing experiences I have ever had,the bottom line is Milligan just had no talent . 3/10
Blood (1973) - Mercifully, my last watch in the Milligan dungeon box set from Severin.2/10

I am still kicking myself for shelling out 140 bucks for this crap. I hope i can resell it.
Old 10-01-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Feast is a curiously dark and gorey film not afraid to be adult; but then the sequels take any cringe humor and turn it up to 11 in an undeserved series of continuous films.
Old 10-01-21, 10:32 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

coffee and Bad Ronald to begin things. I've seen this movie so many times - but since following the Brian Laundrie case, I can't help but think of his family/him when watching it.

i have the entire day free and should be able to watch 4 or 5 more movies today. amazon had some decent price drops today on Scream Factory titles I wanted...He Knows your Alone, Eyes of a Stranger, The Hand, a Stranger is Watching, Eight Legged Freaks, A Return to Salems Lot, and the Borrower. can't wait to get those in!

next up i think i am going to stick with made for tv with The House that Would not Die.
Old 10-01-21, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just FYI, Kino just announced a free streaming service dedicated to genre films, Kinocult.com. I looked at the site, and the selection is small, but there are several Jean Rollin and Jess Franco films for the checklist.
But no web based streaming... Gotta have one of the small selection of devices and use an app. Bummer...
Old 10-01-21, 10:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Feast is a curiously dark and gorey film not afraid to be adult; but then the sequels take any cringe humor and turn it up to 11 in an undeserved series of continuous films.
Have only seen a couple of them but over the top fun that has me wanting to see them all.

Iirc, the first is set in a bar and qualifies for today’s theme.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I decided to torture myself by finishing the Dungeon of Andy Milligan box set this morning. I watched the last two films I haven't seen, Carnage and Blood. Christ almighty.

I am still kicking myself for shelling out 140 bucks for this crap. I hope i can resell it.
I haven't managed to sell mine yet. That plus Adamson was enough to make me think I either like to torture myself or Severin likes to torture me, but I still shelled out for the folk horror box. It surely has to be better. Nuns, on the other hand, I just don't know...bad or good?
The following users liked this post:
WillieMLF (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21, 11:56 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
I haven't managed to sell mine yet. That plus Adamson was enough to make me think I either like to torture myself or Severin likes to torture me, but I still shelled out for the folk horror box. It surely has to be better. Nuns, on the other hand, I just don't know...bad or good?
I shelled out for the folk horror boxset as well, though it was pricey. I hope I'm not disappointed. Many films I've never heard of but looked at least mildly intriguing in the boxset trailer. Folk horror is one of my favorite subgenres, so fingers crossed. But yes, they sell a lot of pigs in lipstick.
Old 10-01-21, 11:57 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished my weekly reports early at work so that I could sneak in 1-2 films tonight.

Re-watched The Hunt (2020). Jumping into The Evil Dead (1981) in a few minutes.
I loved The Hunt. Hope you enjoyed it!

I started with Road Games, which I enjoyed, and Valerie And Her Week of Wonders, which I didn't so much. Excited to begin the challenge!
Old 10-01-21, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Night of the Animated Dead (2021) is nothing to write home about, but if you're like me and grew up watching crappy Filmation cartoons, you might have fun watching it on a Saturday morning while eating a bowl of Frankenberry or Count Chocula.

Old 10-01-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, Severin got me for both the Adamson set and the folk horror set. Just when I thought I was done, they pulled me back in with that nun set.....
Old 10-01-21, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, 17 of these... I managed a measly 13 movies my first year.

I've been pre-gaming since the 15th thanks to Hooptober, but officially starting my October off with some spooky anthologies. First up, Trick 'r Treat and Tales From the Crypt; got Vault of Horror and Black Sabbath on deck for later.

I combined the DVDTalk and Hooptober challenges into one Letterboxd list since these things are hard enough for me to maintain.

Happy October!

Last edited by Ghostface180; 10-01-21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok watched the Elvira special - two movies I'd seen, two I hadn't. Enjoyed watching the films, didn't enjoy Elvira anymore now than in the 80s.

I think I'm going to be interspersing some horror tv shows in between some movies - looking at the two seasons of The Exorcist (only watched the first season when it aired), S4 of Castlevania, and Hammer House of Horror. We'll see how far I get in that as that's quite a bit of tv and I want to watch films still. I'm trying like mad to not stream the films I want to watch if I have the blu-rays until I get my tv room put back together. Still, looking forward to watching these shows anyway
Old 10-01-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
...Valerie And Her Week of Wonders, which I didn't so much. Excited to begin the challenge!
FYI - Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) is Czech not Russian.
Subset: Language (Russian), Genre (Candy Cinema), Genre (Dream Horror), Genre (Nation of Origin: Russia), Ratings (Unrated)
Old 10-01-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I started (and ended the Arthouse Challenge) with a double feature of mother! and The Hunger. I'm a huge fan of the former which I saw in the theaters. Aronofsky can be a touch too... Aronofsky, but Jennifer Lawrence is such a good actor that she keeps his metaphor grounded in human emotion. In fact I found myself really connecting with her character, befuddled and wandering about as religious people rip everything apart. I wasn't as much a fan of the The Hunger which is visually compelling, beautifully acted, and feels a bit like the Cliff's Notes of a longer, deeper film. I loved the fact that the Blaylocks appear to live in the music video for "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
Old 10-01-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch

Carnage (1984) - By the 1980's one would have hoped that Andy Milligan was able to improve his films in some fashion, but based on Carnage, that doesn't appear to be the case. This "Hatchet for a Honeymoon" tale is just as dull and inept as his films from the 1970s. Having finished the Andy Milligan box set, one of the most painful, patience testing experiences I have ever had,the bottom line is Milligan just had no talent . 3/10
Blood (1973) - Mercifully, my last watch in the Milligan dungeon box set from Severin.2/10

So glad I didn't buy that set. I blind bought some of Milligan's stuff when Code Red released several of his movies several years ago. I thought it may be one of those instances where it is "so bad it is good"...but no...everything is all bad. Everything. I have yet to see a remotely competent film with Milligan's name attached or even one that is mildly entertaining. They all suck.

I bought the Adamson set and need to spend some time with it. The couple of films I have watched from it at least was in the "it is bad but still mildly entertaining" box.

Originally Posted by jholmes
I shelled out for the folk horror boxset as well, though it was pricey. I hope I'm not disappointed. Many films I've never heard of but looked at least mildly intriguing in the boxset trailer. Folk horror is one of my favorite subgenres, so fingers crossed. But yes, they sell a lot of pigs in lipstick.
I shelled out for the folk horror set too. The kicker was listening to the below podcast. Stay far away if you don't want to pull the trigger because listening to it may cause you to do just that...like it did me. I know the podcast is self-promotion for Severin but the descriptions and in-depth nature of this set really makes me want to delve into it. I will probably save the whole set for Halloween 2022 to take it all in.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/17r...e271cc38184dbf

And if you want the book that comes with the sold out bundle, it is here:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
According to CCC, it has been as cheap as $15 (currently it is $20) but I may wait on that and only check it out if the movie creates enough interest for me to by the book separately.
Old 10-01-21, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Night of the Animated Dead (2021) is nothing to write home about, but if you're like me and grew up watching crappy Filmation cartoons, you might have fun watching it on a Saturday morning while eating a bowl of Frankenberry or Count Chocula.
This is apparently the 50 year anniversary of those monster cereals. They have a limited edition medley of them; itís called Monster Mash iirc.
Old 10-01-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 852 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This is apparently the 50 year anniversary of those monster cereals. They have a limited edition medley of them; itís called Monster Mash iirc.
Iíve been looking for them, but Iíve had no luck so far.
Old 10-01-21, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Iíve been looking for them, but Iíve had no luck so far.
I think Walmart is the only place Iíve seen them so far.
Old 10-01-21, 02:30 PM

So I’ve forgotten everything I used to know about technology, so this is hopefully a simple problem.

I like to do my lists offline in notepad or something. Whenever I cut and paste my lists into DVDTalk, it adds extra carriage returns after every line. How do I prevent that?
Old 10-01-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I stumbled upon Monster Mash when I made a quick run to the local Food Lion for an ingredient we needed. It is the first time for Frute Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy cereal to be in stores in several years. I'm going to have a bowl tomorrow morning, but I honestly don't have high hopes for it as a mix. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-01-21, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So Iíve forgotten everything I used to know about technology, so this is hopefully a simple problem.

I like to do my lists offline in notepad or something. Whenever I cut and paste my lists into DVDTalk, it adds extra carriage returns after every line. How do I prevent that?
Try switching the "Source" option. With it toggled to "source" it should show the raw text and not add that extra formatting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.