Reload this Page >

12th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge 21 May - 5 July

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

12th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge 21 May - 5 July

Old 06-22-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: 12th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge 21 May - 5 July

I ordered a couple boxes from a site called Loved Again Media last week, and one of the boxes had a history of flight set on 4 DVDs, called Century of Flight. Hope to break into it before this challenge ends,
Old 06-24-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just watched The Dust Bowl, a Ken Burns documentary about the families of the plains states during the 1930's decade. Dealing with sand and wind storms, famine, drought, and the Depression to say the least. Makes you thankful for what we have. Ken Burns is excellent at what he does with these documentaries.
Old 06-26-21, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

I finally watched 1917. While technically impressive, it doesn't have much of a story and was ultimately disappointing. That said, it was a far superior film to Nolan's Dunkirk, another I had high hopes for that was massively disappointing.
Old 06-26-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

Last weekend I watched the 5 films in the BR set "Their Finest Hour: 5 British WWII Classics." I'd been looking forward to these films and had only seen Dunkirk before, many years ago.

First up was Dunkirk. I can't say how much better this film is than the loud visual effects fest from Christopher Nolan. I really didn't care for Nolan's take as it relied almost completely on visuals (well done visuals but tiring to watch) and contains little of the overall story focusing almost entirely on the rescue operation. This 1958 British production tells the story better by following a small detachment who becomes separated and must find their regiment only to wind up in Dunkirk during the seige and ultimate rescue. It also follows the feeling of the British populace and their unwillingness/hesitance to dedicate resources to what seems like a futile rescue attempt. Seeing this one again after a couple of decades, I can safely say I'll likely not bother with Nolan's film again.

Then Ice Cold in Alex which follows a medical field unit who must cross the desert in their ambulance in order to reach the British lines in Alexandria (aka Alex, where the commander envisions having a cold beer - thus the title). They take on an unexpected passenger and must get past several Nazi patrols and through a mine field on the journey. It's a bit long, sometimes predictable, but has several very tense sequences.

After that was The Dam Busters. This one tells the story of a method devised to blow up dams, literally washing away Nazi factories, with less risk than traditional air raids. It's a quite ingenious method. George Lucas used the film's ending raid as the basis for the run on the Death Star in Star Wars (aka "Episode IV: A New Hope"). This one has some rather poorly done visual effects that kind of took me out of the film. It was also a bit too long (just over 2 hours) with much of the length taken up with the experimentation to get the process right. It was very interesting but it's not one I see myself watching all that often.

Then, The Colditz Story. A very good "prisoners attempt to escape" film. Colditz is a castle in Germany which houses prisoners of four nationalities who've all regularly attempted escapes from other German prison camps. The theory being having them all together in a rather isolated castle under very heavy guard will make escape even more difficult. It's a very good story and, IMHO, the 2nd best film in the set, following Dunkirk.

And finally, Went the Day Well? which tells a tale of German paratroopers who jump into rural England, pretend to be English Army personnel, and invade a small town, taking it over to launch a deeper invasion of the island. It's a very good story of the general populace reacting to hostile occupation during wartime. I found it interesting that the Church in the town is the same one used in the BBC TV series The Vicar of Dibley.
The following users liked this post:
Doc Moonlight (06-26-21)
Old 06-28-21, 11:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

last five days screamed through 16 films, one TV series [select three episodes] of this year's AFI Docs Film Festival, and watched "LFG" on HBO MAX before my Amazon Cube remote crashed and has now essentially subjected me to now watching TV and streaming exclusively to another TV/my computer - ugh... I hate when technology breaks.
Old 06-29-21, 11:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I know that I'm probably not using my Wild Card correctly or even the right timing since I could technically include this both here AND in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy challenge, but since today is the anniversary of the World Premier of 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' in Cleveland, Ohio - the hometown of the lead actor, I watched the just released 4K UHD edition with the Wonka kids commentary track since they provide anecdotal production history stories of the film shoot.

Last edited by Giles; 06-29-21 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 969 Likes on 803 Posts

Thanks for hosting the challenge, shadokitty!

I used my free year of AppleTv to watch Greyhound. It was good but I feel it would’ve worked better in an immersive theater setting rather than at home. It wasn’t claustrophobic like Das Boot, of course.

The Nightingale was an interesting look at Australian colonization and how it affected the aborigines, but the violence was tough to watch.

The Courier had Benedict Cumberbatch as an “ordinary guy” spy during the Cold War. Based on real characters who played a part in the Cuban Missile Crisis, it was one of those tense watches where you feel like everything is just waiting to fall off the rails.
Old 07-03-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Did you recently get an iPad David? When I got mine in April, I was also given a free year of Apple TV. Incidentally, iirc the new Amazing Stories is on there, I believe, which would be good for the current challenge, I think.
Old 07-03-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 969 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Did you recently get an iPad David? When I got mine in April, I was also given a free year of Apple TV. Incidentally, iirc the new Amazing Stories is on there, I believe, which would be good for the current challenge, I think.
New phone, so same deal. I have so many services that it’s hard to dig too deeply into Apple, but I did want to see Greyhound, and I liked Ted Lasso. I have to figure out if the new season lands before my free year expires.