The Twelfth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Twelfth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Old 05-04-21, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: The Twelfth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I finished Battlestar Galactica 1980. I'd forgotten just how average it really was with scripts which would have worked for just about any show. The SF part consists mostly of the citizens of Galactica being somewhat "superhuman" with stronger muscles - able to run faster, jump higher, etc. - and the absolutely lame flying motorcycles. A group of 12 kids were transported down at one point and are the focus of several very cliche' episodes with them jumping around into trees, etc. to elude law enforcement or hostile land owners (they go into business with a small land owner who's being oppressed by a large land owner - denied water and terrorized - and the kids do the jumping around bit to "seed" the property late at night). The best episode is the last in which the original Starbuck is shown to have gotten lost and hooked up with a Cylon who also crashed (similar to a reworked new BSG episode plot).
It's been over a decade since I watched Battlestar Galactica 1980. I was in college and got trapped in a marathon on Sci Fi. I remember being bored by most of the episodes but doggedly watching one after the other instead of working on some paper. I did enjoy the episode about Starbuck and the Cylon. It's been so long since I've watched anything BSG. I was pretty obsessed with the 2004 reboot, getting into fan theories and such.
Old 05-05-21, 06:35 PM

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I've finally settled on a theme, In Memoriam. Watch a movie with an actor/director/writer who is no longer with us. I will list the movie and the actor who I'm honoring with a libation.

Last edited by Indy24LA; 05-05-21 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (05-06-21)
Old 05-06-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
It's been over a decade since I watched Battlestar Galactica 1980. I was in college and got trapped in a marathon on Sci Fi. I remember being bored by most of the episodes but doggedly watching one after the other instead of working on some paper. I did enjoy the episode about Starbuck and the Cylon. It's been so long since I've watched anything BSG. I was pretty obsessed with the 2004 reboot, getting into fan theories and such.
While I enjoyed that last episode with Starbuck and the Cylon I really don't know if it was better because BSG 1980 is so lackluster or it's really that good. It didn't seem to suffer from most of the cheesyness of the original series though.

A couple of nights ago I watched one of my favorite episodes of the new BSG - "You Can't Go Home Again" - in which Starbuck has been shot down, finds and figures out how to manipulate the Cylon ship she'd shot down to get herself back to the Galactica.
Old 05-08-21, 07:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts

I struggled with too many ideas, as usual. Abandoned them all and think I’m going with a ComeDocuMeta thing. Comedies, but more examinations of comedy and the outskirts of the genre maybe. I dunno, I’m making it up as I go along.
Old 05-11-21, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I realized I was burning through the new Battlestar Galactica*far* too fast so I took a couple of days off. Right now I'm about to finish S2. There have been some *really* good episodes so far and it's been so long since I last watched the series that even knowing how some things shake out there've been lots of "surprises" - AKA Thinks I Forgot Happened. I'm really enjoying this rewatch...
Old 05-11-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 156 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I realized I was burning through the new Battlestar Galactica*far* too fast so I took a couple of days off. Right now I'm about to finish S2. There have been some *really* good episodes so far and it's been so long since I last watched the series that even knowing how some things shake out there've been lots of "surprises" - AKA Thinks I Forgot Happened. I'm really enjoying this rewatch...

I should watch my set sometime. I only got part way into Season 2 last time I tried watching it.

Old 05-12-21, 01:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched probably 2 episodes of GOTHAM when it first aired. I remember not caring for it very much. During my Batman month I figured I'd give it another try (especially since I purchased the blu-ray set when it dropped down to $20something dollars a few months ago) and I've really enjoyed it so far.

Also watching BATMAN 1966 for the first time all the way through. I've seen episodes here and there, but never the complete series. I love the goofiness of it (I mean one episode had Robin falling from a building and being saved by a batarang attached to a rope which he catches in his mouth), but the villains are really what amplifies the enjoyment of this show.

And I've been reading Batman stuff as well. I had forgotten just how great Alan Moore's "Mortal Clay" from Batman Annual #11 was. It focuses on Clayface III and his love for a mannequin and how he hates Batman for trying to keep them apart.
Old 05-12-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like Batman 66 - I was 11 when it first aired so it also has that going for it. Back then I liked it because it pretty much mirrored what I was reading in the comics. Today it's a whole 'nuther series with the witty dialog and just plain fun factor. Those villains are pretty much definitive for me, even the lesser ones (like "Shame" - one I've never liked). My 10yo granddaughter also loves the series. She watched it some with me when I got the DVDs upon release and asks for it fairly regularly when she's at the house. She prefers the episodes with Cat Woman but will watch any I put on.
The following users liked this post:
MrTerrific (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 06:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Reading about all the Battlestar Galactica talk, I refuse to watch the OG series (along with Buck Rogers) because I loved those shows as a wee lad and know they won't hold up. I do need to watch the new Battlestar Galactica some day, maybe during the up coming sci-fi challenge.
Old 05-12-21, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Reading about all the Battlestar Galactica talk, I refuse to watch the OG series (along with Buck Rogers) because I loved those shows as a wee lad and know they won't hold up. I do need to watch the new Battlestar Galactica some day, maybe during the up coming sci-fi challenge.
I keep stopping myself from purchasing the Buck Rogers blu-ray set for this exact same reason.
Old 05-13-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only purchased the original Battlestar Galactica BR set due to my original DVD set having playback issues due to the crappy disc format (DVD18s IIRC), and a *great* deal on the "Definitive Collection" BR set (paid ~$30 new for it). In spite of that, I've only sampled a few episodes of the WS version.

Even though I'd watched a few episodes of Buck Rogers when it originally aired and found it to be quite cheesy I purchased that one on DVD when the updated SS DVD sets were released. It's OK but the things I disliked originally I still dislike (mostly "Twiki" but also the lame disco stuff). Erin Gray is still what makes it mostly worth watching and I *did* enjoy it more than I though I would based on my memories of those few episodes I'd watched during the original broadcasts. I'll upgrade to BR *if* I can get it cheaply enough (~$25). Otherwise, the DVDs are good enough.

I've been fortunate in that my opinions of shows I saw as a kid are still valid for me today. Those I really enjoyed, I still really enjoy. Those I didn't like, I generally don't like today.
Old 05-18-21, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 156 Likes on 115 Posts

Since I had insomnia tonight, I started looking through my DVDs for something to watch. I decided on Arthur C. Clarkeís Mysterious World ​​​​​​, since I hadnít watched it in months, if not longer. Just finished the first episode, which basically gives little peeks of what will come in later episodes of the series.
Old 05-25-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

My theme this year was an actor daisy chain (i.e., every movie had to share an actor with the one before). Thanks to Ted Grossman, I was even able to keep it going when I went to the drive-in to see Jaws and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial last week. This weekend was messy, because I wanted to follow along with the Criterion Channel's presentation of The Manchurian Candidate and its live tweet follow-along led by Jake Tapper. I managed to get from Legends of the Fall to that by way of RED 2 (Anthony Hopkins and Bruce Willis) to The First Deadly Sin (Bruce Willis and Frank Sinatra). I was dismayed to realized I'd already used Willis (G.I. Joe: Retaliation to 12 Monkeys), and that the extent to which he's in The First Deadly Sin consists of being an extra with no lines, near a door Sinatra passes through. That felt like it wasn't in the spirit of my challenge, but since I hadn't set up any formal restrictions against repeats, I've kept it going through Manchurian. Besides, I'd already gone from You, Me and Dupree to Mayerling because the former includes footage from Roman Holiday, featuring Audrey Hepburn. At least Bruce Willis was in Sin himself.

However, last night I decided to revisit Spy Hard and Mission: Impossible for the 25th anniversary of when my brother, a friend, and I went to see those in a piecemeal double feature. There are no links between those two, nor between Manchurian and Spy Hard. Do I disregard those two and return to the chain I had in progress, or do I consider this the breaking of the chain? Here is the chain, in case anyone is interested:
Spoiler:
  1. 5/06 The Oranges (Alia Shawkat)*
  2. 5/06 The To Do List (Alia Shawkat, Bill Hader)
  3. 5/06 You, Me and Dupree (Bill Hader, Audrey Hepburn [archival])
  4. 5/06 Mayerling (Audrey Hepburn, Lorne Greene)
  5. 5/07 Battlestar Galactica (Lorne Greene, Ray Milland)
  6. 5/07 Love Story (Ray Milland, Tommy Lee Jones)
  7. 5/08 The Family (Tommy Lee Jones, Robert De Niro)
  8. 5/09 Grudge Match (Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone)
  9. 5/09 The Expendables (Sylvester Stallone, The Expendables)**
  10. 5/09 The Expendables 2 (The Expendables)**
  11. 5/10 The Expendables 3 (The Expendables, Wesley Snipes)**
  12. 5/10 The Fan (Wesley Snipes, Kurt Fuller)
  13. 5/11 Auto Focus (Kurt Fuller, Ed Begley, Jr., and Michael McKean)
  14. 5/11 A Mighty Wind (Ed Begley, Jr., Michael McKean, and Bob Balaban)
  15. 5/11 Bank Shot (Bob Balaban, Sorrell Booke)
  16. 5/12 Slaughterhouse-Five (Sorrell Booke, Roberts Blossom)
  17. 5/12 The Great Gatsby (Roberts Blossom, Bruce Dern)
  18. 5/12 Last Man Standing (Bruce Dern, Michael Imperioli)
  19. 5/13 Lean on Me (Michael Imperioli, Morgan Freeman)
  20. 5/14 Now You See Me (Morgan Freeman, Now You See Me)**
  21. 5/14 Now You See Me 2 (Now You See Me, Mark Ruffalo)**
  22. 5/15 The Last Castle (Mark Ruffalo, Delroy Lindo)
  23. 5/15 Heist (Delroy Lindo, Sam Rockwell)
  24. 5/16 The Way, Way Back (Sam Rockwell, Allison Janney)
  25. 5/16 Spy (Allison Janney, Jude Law)
  26. 5/17 Side Effects (Jude Law, Channing Tatum)
  27. 5/17 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Channing Tatum, G.I. Joe)**
  28. 5/17 G.I. Joe: Retaliation (G.I. Joe, Bruce Willis)**
  29. 5/18 12 Monkeys (Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt)
  30. 5/19 Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas)
  31. 5/19 Madonna: Truth or Dare (Antonio Banderas, Kevin Costner)
  32. 5/20 The Bodyguard (Kevin Costner, Mike Starr)
  33. 5/20 James and the Giant Peach (Mike Starr, Richard Dreyfuss)
  34. 5/20 Jaws (Richard Dreyfuss, Ted Grossman)
  35. 5/20 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Ted Grossman, Henry Thomas)
  36. 5/23 Legends of the Fall (Henry Thomas, Anthony Hopkins)
  37. 5/23 RED 2 (Anthony Hopkins, Bruce Willis)
  38. 5/23 The First Deadly Affair (Bruce Willis, Frank Sinatra)
  39. 5/23 The Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra, )
*I started with The Oranges after deferring to Letterboxd's watchlist shuffle feature.
**I decided to take the time to watch these series together. There are enough repeating cast members that it seemed pointless to either pick one or name them all.

Old 05-25-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

If you've got a break, do what anyone would do, splice it. You can get from The Manchurian Candidate to Spy Hard by way of Onionhead (1958), and then Spy Hard to Mission Impossible by way of An American Carol (2008). Both are available on Prime, for rent and for 'free' (if you're a member).
Old 05-25-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
If you've got a break, do what anyone would do, splice it. You can get from The Manchurian Candidate to Spy Hard by way of Onionhead (1958), and then Spy Hard to Mission Impossible by way of An American Carol (2008). Both are available on Prime, for rent and for 'free' (if you're a member).
Unfortunately, I've already watched them so I could only retroactively make those splices. That feels like too big a cheat.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 05-25-21 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... my slowdown plan for Battlestar Galactica backfired. We had some family issues come up which caused a full stop in my watching last week. That left a half dozen of so episodes "in the can." I'll eventually get to them but it may not be anytime soon...
Old 06-01-21, 09:06 AM

Finished Batman '66 and got halfway through Gotham during the month. Thanks BobO'Link for running the challenge!
Old 06-01-21, 11:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I got through a pretty big stack of movie re-watches. Thanks BobO'Link, this challenge is always fun.
Old 06-01-21, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I was able to watch several sitcoms for this challenge: What's Happening!! S3; Taxi S3; Night Court S8; Parks and Recreation S5; Coach S1; The Office S8; Duckman S2; NewsRadio S1; and Workaholics S1 and S2. A good mix of episode rewatches and some not previously seen.

Thanks BobO'Link for another fun challenge!
Old 06-01-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 966 Likes on 801 Posts

Thanks for hosting, BobOLink!

I finished almost three full seasons of ST TNG, which is pretty good considering theyíre like 26 episodes each. That puts me at just over eight full ST seasons since the beginning of the year. My quest to finish the franchise in a calendar year isnít looking good, but itís been fun anyway.
Old 06-01-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I managed to hit an even 50 movies, finishing my last around 2 AM. That's my highest total in any challenge since the 2016 Oscars (53)! I didn't start until the 6th, and I didn't even have my theme until after my first movie. I started thinking I'd defer entirely to the Letterboxd watchlist shuffle feature, which led me to The Oranges. When it was over, I got to wondering what else I had in my library with any of the same cast or crew, which led me to The To Do List. After that, I committed to the daisy chain as my theme, eventually paring it down to just actors. There are a few dubious links that reflect how improvised the theme was. I enjoyed figuring out paths to take after each movie.

Also, DVD Talk has either been deleting my post updates the last few days or at minimum not saving them. When I went to update yesterday, I had to go back and re-add almost everything from the previous week. And when I checked my post just now, I saw it didn't still contain the summary notes I added when I finished late last night. I started a thread about this in the help sub-forum in case anyone else has experienced this.
Old 06-01-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

I didn't finish my Scandal re-watch in the end but that's because I was watching baseball instead. My fault. I got through everything else on my to-watch list so it's all good.

Thanks to BobO'Link for hosting this watch fest.