Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2021 Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
2021 Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge Discussion Thread

It’s that time of year again folks. There is not much to say about this challenge. Anything that could even vaguely be argued as counting counts. Even bonus features on Blu Ray and DVDs count. The challenge runs from Dusk on February 28 to Dawn on April 1.
Old 02-21-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 2021 Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge Discussion Thread

After surviving a thoroughly miserable week it's nice to have something to look forward to. I think this year I'll try to make a dent in Patrick McGoohan's Danger Man. The first season is 39 episodes, but the episodes are around a half hour long (the latter seasons all run about an hour), so I've got a shot at finishing off season one if I can stick to it. Beyond that, whatever catches my eye, Justice League, Person of Interest, Lucifer, etc...

Movie wise, I'll just throw a rock and watch whatever action movie it hits. I definitely plan on watching 7 uomini d'oro (1965) and it's sequel Il grande colpo dei 7 uomini d'oro (1966). Otherwise I'm fond of my Charlie Chan movies (I've got all of them available) and I'll keep my eye's open to any other mysteries that might fall under my eyes. I might also finally indulge myself and pick up either the two Falcon or the Philo Vance Archive sets. Both if I throw caution to the wind.
Old 02-22-21, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope things start to look up for you coyoteblue. I’m looking forward to next week as well. I have a lot I can choose from. Been considering a rewatch of G1 Transformers for one thing. I’ve got all the Resident Evil movies and a Fast and the Furious movie collection. I also have my Warriors 50 movie collection from Mill Creek. There is a lot more as well.
Old 02-23-21, 08:36 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I need to start working on a list of mystery films. That's one of the few genres I never get tired of.
The following users liked this post:
shellebelle (02-28-21)
Old 02-23-21, 06:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just realized that I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. I may have a slow start but I hear some classic film noir calling to me. Also thinking about some British cop shows and mysteries.
Old 02-24-21, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I will jump into this until the Oscar Challenge starts (there might be some filmic overlap between the two as well).
Old 02-27-21, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to lots of variety here this year. I've been in a sort of action comedy mode, so I expect some of that stuff to make the list.
Old 02-28-21, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rarin' to get started. Tonight's feature is going to be The Rundown (2003) with Dwayne Johnson and Sean William Scott. I've never seen it and the reviews are promising. After that I might squeeze in some tv.
Old 03-01-21, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

My first film on this year's list is A Most Wanted Man. It has an excellent cast, headlined by Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his last starring roles. I was reminded of how much his talent is missed.

On the agenda for March will likely be continuing through several TV series which qualify - currently finishing a season of Cagney & Lacey from the 80s and the 5th season of The Americans. I'll probably watch some Criminal Minds and CSI before the month is out as well.
Old 03-01-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I’m continuing the Star Trek journey I started in mid-January, and I’m now on the third episode of season 3, with the lyrical title of “For the World Is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky.”

I emphasized romance last month because of the challenge but tried to keep active in ST. My original goal was to finish the whole franchise this year, but I started late and haven’t kept pace (three episodes every weekday, I’m told). I’m glad the TV challenge list was still stickied so I could track my progress there.
Old 03-01-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I’m continuing the Star Trek journey I started in mid-January, and I’m now on the third episode of season 3, with the lyrical title of “For the World Is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky.”

I emphasized romance last month because of the challenge but tried to keep active in ST. My original goal was to finish the whole franchise this year, but I started late and haven’t kept pace (three episodes every weekday, I’m told). I’m glad the TV challenge list was still stickied so I could track my progress there.
I got a little Star Trek in earlier this morning. Was browsing the Dish Guide and saw Deep Space Nine on BBC America. Didn’t recall the episode, but it was a hard hitting episode where Jake discovered the horrors of war during the Klingon war.
Old 03-01-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I got a little Star Trek in earlier this morning. Was browsing the Dish Guide and saw Deep Space Nine on BBC America. Didn’t recall the episode, but it was a hard hitting episode where Jake discovered the horrors of war during the Klingon war.
The only series I’ve seen in full are TOS and Voyager, and I’ve barely seen any Enterprise or the new streaming series. I thought this might be the opportunity to fix all those “problems.”
Old 03-01-21, 02:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I started the challenge last night with a decent episode of the British mystery series Midsomer Murders from 2004. I plan to get in some film noir today beginning with No Way Out (1950) with Richard Widmark and a very young Sidney Poitier. I also started watching Gang Busters a 1942 Universal serial which I haven't seen in quite a while but I recall thinking that it is one of the better non-Flash Gordon serials made by that studio. I've only watched Chapter 1 so far and it was very exciting. It's available on Amazon Prime and the image quality is excellent.
Old 03-04-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was randomly surfing HBO Max and started watching Under Siege. They made a reference to President Bush, and I was surprised to see a news clip of the FIRST President Bush. Man, this is old (1992)! Good flick, though—one of the better “Die Hard on a ___” spin-offs.
Old 03-05-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had a Muppet double feature tonight with The Muppets (2011) and Muppets Most Wanted (2014). It works really well because the second movie starts where the first movie ends making an almost seamless transition so you feel like your watching an almost 3.5 hour long movie, albeit with two separate plots.
Old 03-09-21, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like some animated action today, so looked up some stuff on YouTube, and found the lost Voltron, Albegas ​​​​​​. I’ve only seen the first episode so far, but it was very enjoyable. I believe it is even legally posted, as the channel is Toei Tokasatsu, which I think is official. After that, I brought out my collection 1 of Beast King Golion ​​​​​​. The Japanese version of Lion Voltron is definitely more adult than the WEP Dub that created Voltron.
Old 03-09-21, 06:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Boss Level on Hulu is way better then it has any right to be.
Old 03-10-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I had plans to dive into my huge unwatched pile of qualifying TVonDVD titles... Then I started S1 of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 the day before the challenge began and couldn't stop. I'm currently binging that series and started S5 last night.
The following users liked this post:
lisadoris (03-11-21)
Old 03-10-21, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went through all the Rambo films in the last week. I believe I had only seen 1 or 2, and wasn't even sure which ones. They were all enjoyable. They really ramped up the blood and gore as the films went on.
Old 03-10-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got in the Falcon dvds I ordered. There's 13 Falcon (Sanders/Conway) movies total. I think I'll knock out the first four over the rest of the month. That'll be all the George Sanders Falcon movies. The fourth movie, The Falcon's Brother is where Sanders handed off the series to his brother Conway.
Old 03-10-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just watched the old Branagh-Thompson movie Dead Again for the first time in at least 20 years. It’s still an interesting watch but feels pretty tame bu today’s standards.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I had plans to dive into my huge unwatched pile of qualifying TVonDVD titles... Then I started S1 of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 the day before the challenge began and couldn't stop. I'm currently binging that series and started S5 last night.
Well done, I haven’t been steadily watching but I’m a few episodes short of finishing TOS. I got a little burned out and scaled back my pace.
Old 03-11-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just watched the old Branagh-Thompson movie Dead Again for the first time in at least 20 years. It’s still an interesting watch but feels pretty tame bu today’s standards.

Well done, I haven’t been steadily watching but I’m a few episodes short of finishing TOS. I got a little burned out and scaled back my pace.
Most Star Trek series are ones I just don't seem to get "burned out" on. When I start most of them I tend to binge watch until the end, especially TOS - that one's "TV Comfort Food" for me. If I pull out a specific episode to watch I generally watch all the episodes on the respective disc which will often trigger a rewatch of that entire season, if not series, again. The *only* one I never do that with is Discovery. I just don't care for that one and have zero plans to rewatch it any time soon (or even over the next 4-5 years). I can also stop and/or skip around easily with TNG as I'm not that fond of most of it. The rest, TOS, DS9, Voyager (in spite of disliking "Seven of Nine"), Enterprise (even though I don't particularly care for the whole "Temporal Cold Wars" story line), and TAS, are easy and regular binge watches.

I'm considering a rewatch of Enterprise once I've finished DS9 as I have a new BR upgrade of that one I've not yet watched.

I *really* wish they'd redo DS9 for disc. I'd forgotten how "bad" it looks (grainy, soft, and a bit dark at times). It needs to be given a full remaster/restoration like TNG received. Even if they'd do to it what was done with some British taped series for BR releases (Monty Python, Dr. Who, and others) it'd be a vast improvement over what we currently have.
Old 03-15-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I took a short break from binging DS9 to watch a couple of old favorites on new BR upgrades - Disney's Treasure Island and Hammer's Sword of Sherwood Forest. The upgrades were absolutely worth getting - both look excellent on BR.
Old 03-22-21, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Can I get a ruling from group. I watched Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt yesterday for the Oscar Challenge and assumed it would work for this Challenge as well. While I thought it might have crime as a sub-genre, it's simply listed as thriller (imdb gives it film-noir too). Can I count it?
Old 03-22-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Can I get a ruling from group. I watched Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt yesterday for the Oscar Challenge and assumed it would work for this Challenge as well. While I thought it might have crime as a sub-genre, it's simply listed as thriller (imdb gives it film-noir too). Can I count it?
I wouldn't hesitate to do so based on the plot point of a serial killer.

If another source puts your mind at ease, Rotten Tomatoes includes both crime and mystery: Shadow of a Doubt (1943) - Rotten Tomatoes

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.