Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Re Selling Used Dvds-Is there a market?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-30-20, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the bright idea to buy a lot of 200 used dvds for $100 and resell them for around .90-$1.00 a piece. Yeah no such luck yet. Posting on craigslist doesnít do squat. Maybe itís the dead of winter/ holidays or maybe itís a dead market.

Is there a market to re sell used dvds anymore? Or is this ancient history? Any suggestions on how to re sell these? I did this hoping it would be a part time hobby and the worst that could happen would be that Iím out $100.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 12-30-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 660 Posts
Re: Re Selling Used Dvds-Is there a market?

No.

Theres simply too many on the market. Only the rare titles are worth flipping and thereís not that many of those to be honest. We sell our extras on eBay when we trim down our collection but we donít make any serious money.
Old 12-31-20, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, thatís the impression Iím getting too.
Where do all these dvd re sellers who sell in bulk get their dvds from? I look at ebay and they sell these huge lots of 100ís dvds that average out for .35Ė.50 cents a piece. Supply and demand I guess.
Old 12-31-20, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by NetSaler View Post
Ok thanks, thatís the impression Iím getting too.
Where do all these dvd re sellers who sell in bulk get their dvds from? I look at ebay and they sell these huge lots of 100ís dvds that average out for .35Ė.50 cents a piece. Supply and demand I guess.
Probably from rental stores going out of business or local purchases through places like Craigslist in bulk.
Old 12-31-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out Facebook Marketplace too, there's always tons of DVDs on there, at dirt cheap prices. The only reason I look is to pick up odds and ends for myself, I wouldn't bother re-selling.

Like I mentioned above, the ones we're selling on eBay are ones from my collection that I'm ready to let go and we're not making a profit, it's just keeping cash flowing and giving us something to do during lockdown.
Old 12-31-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently I've sold a couple DVDs/BDs to this online shop called Eagle Saver. Most of the prices were about what you'd expect, although a couple things I sold did net me decent prices. A couple Criterion DVDs and Never Say Never Again netted me around $10 each, although almost everything else was .50-3.00.

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
No.

Theres simply too many on the market. Only the rare titles are worth flipping and thereís not that many of those to be honest. We sell our extras on eBay when we trim down our collection but we donít make any serious money.
Just because a title is rare doesn't necessarily mean it's worth anything. I remember a couple years ago I tried selling my Time-Life Beavis & Butt-Head sets (I have the Mike Judge sets, so these felt a little redundant). Not kidding, I couldn't give those away. FYE wouldn't take them, they weren't going for anything on eBay; honestly, I think I ended up tossing them in the trash. This is why I'm VERY picky with what BDs I buy now. There was way too much stuff I bought in the early days that I watched once and never looked at again.
Old 12-31-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Most of the titles that are worth anything are rare and out-of-print titles which, oddly enough, seem to be the really bad unwatchable movies. Pulp Fiction, Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather are worthless but a crappy Mark Harmon comedy from the 1980s or "The Spice Girls Movie" seem to be worth $30+.
Old 12-31-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
Most of the titles that are worth anything are rare and out-of-print titles which, oddly enough, seem to be the really bad unwatchable movies. Pulp Fiction, Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather are worthless but a crappy Mark Harmon comedy from the 1980s or "The Spice Girls Movie" seem to be worth $30+.
Those types of movies have a very specific appeal, so they're not as likely to have been released on Blu or the DVD print run was very small.

I bought my first DVD set of The Godfather Trilogy at a garage sale for $1 a few years ago (the first release). A little while later, I found the Restoration trilogy set for $3 at a thrift store. These are icons of American cinema but they've printed thousands of copies. The VHS and LDs are also easy to find. The only thing worth some value is the chronological cut because it hasn't been put on DVD yet.
Old 12-31-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, the irrational marketplace is always interesting to watch!
Old 12-31-20, 02:01 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Our thrift store is closed for now but when we reopen im going to kake them get rid of the VHS shelf and restock it with two tubs of my CDs, DVD, and a few Blu-rays. We sell everything for a quarter, people usually say "Keep the change," and the money goes back into the community for outreach projects. The thrift store setup is really too challenging to attempt in pandemic so end, baby, end!
Old 12-31-20, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Damn, I remember the days when Newtown Video would give a decent buck for used DVDs.
Old 12-31-20, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,234 Likes on 884 Posts

The simple fact of the matter is that fifteen to twenty years ago DVDs were a hot item, and people were buying lots of them.

The buying has cooled down as people are now more interested in consuming their entetainment via streaming, they're downsizing or eliminating their collections of physical DVDs altogether, and becoming more discriminating about what they do purchase. On top of that, once blu-ray and 4K UHD came out, and the HD switchover happened, DVDs became second class citizens among those who still wanted to buy discs.

All of this has created a huge glut of DVDs out there. The supply has far outstripped the demand. Older titles -- from around 1999-2010 -- had massive print-runs. Recall the huge DVD section at stores like Target and Best Buy? And now they're practically non-existent? And then you had places like Big Lots blowing out DVDs at $3 a pop? That's the market correcting itself.

You will still occasionally have an old DVD title that a collector might want, but the bulk of these things are basically worthless. That's why you see people dumping off large collections of 100+ on Craigslist. There just isn't enough demand out there for common titles; there isn't enough interest to piece them out on eBay, so they're being dumped and sold in bulk.

The easiest way to get rid of a large DVD collection would probably be to go through it to try to find any that can eBayed for more than $5 a piece, sell those off, then take the rest of them to a store that sells used DVDs and hope they'll give you at least $0.25 a piece for them.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Carpenter (03-13-21)
Old 12-31-20, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

I end up giving away my old dvds/blurays, whenever I had friends/family visiting (before the lockdown).

Not even worth the effort to sell them anymore.
Old 12-31-20, 08:27 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

I would check them on eBay to see if there's any rare stuff. I've recently sold some out of print DVDs for $15-$25 each.

If it's just mainstream titles, then I'd sell them in small batches on NextDoor, OfferUp, or Craigslist. Bundle them together by genre like Horror movies or Family movies. I often sell batches of 20-25 DVDs for $20. People don't mind dropping $20 on a big bag of movies.
Old 01-02-21, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Create a few random and/or genre bundles and put them up for bid on eBay. Selling single DVDs that aren't OOP collector's items is a sucker's game in 2021. The same thing largely applies to CDs in 2021.
Old 01-14-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm moving to Texas in 11 days. As part of the move, I'm forced to seriously shrink my DVD collection. The death of the market has made this somewhat easier. I really don't have to worry about possibly trashing valuables. Still, kinda sucks when your 21 years of collecting ends up on the curb with a Free sign on it.
Old 01-15-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If have something like a 200-disc collection, you could put an ad on craigslist selling the whole lot for $100 ($.50/title). I bet they'd be gone within a day or two.
Old 01-15-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
I'm moving to Texas in 11 days. As part of the move, I'm forced to seriously shrink my DVD collection. The death of the market has made this somewhat easier. I really don't have to worry about possibly trashing valuables. Still, kinda sucks when your 21 years of collecting ends up on the curb with a Free sign on it.

Just donate them to your local library and get a tax write off.
Old 01-15-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a Half Price Books near you? They'll usually take everything and you'll get at least a few bucks of cash. They donate stuff they can't sell to local groups.
Old 01-15-21, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,234 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Is there a Half Price Books near you? They'll usually take everything and you'll get at least a few bucks of cash. They donate stuff they can't sell to local groups.
What does HPB pay?

I have quite few DVDs and blu-rays that I no longer want. They're languishing in plastic tubs in my storage room. It's mostly DVDs that I upgraded to blu-ray, and regular blu-rays that I upgraded to Shout/Scream/Arrow editions, and movies and tv seasons that I just no longer want.

There's really nowhere I have to donate them. My local library doesn't loan out DVDs (or even have any). I don't really want to throw them out, and I'd like to at least get a few bucks for them.

I've already eBayed the ones that I know are worth money (A&E Prisoner DVD set, David Tennant Doctor Who DVD set, etc.) and gotten pretty decent prices for them, often more than I initially paid for them!

Old 01-15-21, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What does HPB pay?

I have quite few DVDs and blu-rays that I no longer want. They're languishing in plastic tubs in my storage room. It's mostly DVDs that I upgraded to blu-ray, and regular blu-rays that I upgraded to Shout/Scream/Arrow editions, and movies and tv seasons that I just no longer want.

There's really nowhere I have to donate them. My local library doesn't loan out DVDs (or even have any). I don't really want to throw them out, and I'd like to at least get a few bucks for them.

I've already eBayed the ones that I know are worth money (A&E Prisoner DVD set, David Tennant Doctor Who DVD set, etc.) and gotten pretty decent prices for them, often more than I initially paid for them!
If youíve already eBayed the good stuff then youíre not going to get much from HPB. Iíve sold bundles that had a bunch of common titles plus a few anime sets and the anime pushed it up to like 80 bucks. But other times Iíll take a whole bag in and only get $20, which I immediately spend on more DVDs there.
Old 01-16-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Good time to dump your DVD is when the celebrity of that said title you owned just pass away.
Old 01-21-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Just donate them to your local library and get a tax write off.
My county library system stopped accepting donations because of COVID. They're careful, -they quarantine returned books and videos for a week.
Old 01-21-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

I wish I had more places locally that I could take DVDs and Blu-rays. Pretty much my only options are fye and pawn shops. Has anyone around here tried Decluttr or any similar services? I'd really like to unload some stuff but hate to just trash anything. Of course, many of these places won't accept many of these DVDs and Blu-rays because they're probably too common.

The other thing I'd like to get rid of is some of my old games. I still have PS2 and Xbox games and some 360 and Wii games. I never upgraded after the 360 and Wii and never really play those anymore either. I imagine most of those will be worthless as well. I do have at least one game that is at least somewhat rare I'm not ready to give up, though.
Old 01-21-21, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy them. I bought a bunch of them at a flea market a year ago. Not many flea markets lately cause of Covid. But yeah, for a $, for a movie I like, surface looks good, why not? Even if I only watch it once is a deal.

I bought Walking Tall with the Rock, never seen it with him as the sheriff and I have watch is a few times already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.