Reload this Page >

DISCUSSSION THREAD for 2021 TV on DVD* Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DISCUSSSION THREAD for 2021 TV on DVD* Challenge

Old 01-25-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: DISCUSSSION THREAD for 2021 TV on DVD* Challenge

Over the weekend, I watched the TV movie, Return to the Batcave: The MisAdventures of Adam and Burt, and the two animated movies, Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman vs. Two-Face. I've seen Return to the Batcave a couple times already, so I knew what I was getting into with that. I get a kick out of it. For those unfamiliar with it, it combines a scripted modern day story about Adam West and Burt Ward being cajoled into searching for a stolen Batmobile, which is largely just a framework for setting up flashback sequences reenacting some of the behind-the-scenes stuff about the making of the show from their points of view. It's far from comprehensive, but it's fun. I have some nits to pick with it, not least of which being that they have a few scenes being filmed on the set of millionaire Bruce Wayne's study--with the entrance to the Batcave open, exposing the Bat-poles to characters who most certainly never saw that part of stately Wayne Manor. I get that they surely weren't going to budget to recreate more sets than that and the Batcave, but they could have at least concealed the Bat-poles. It hurt me to look at the screen during those scenes.

As for the animated movies, I'm sorry to say I was a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. Part of the charm of the show was the absurdity of live action people doing such outlandish things in such outrageous settings. That's not really an issue in animation, though, because that medium allows for anything that can be illustrated and it doesn't register as absurd the way a tangible set or prop does. In Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman and Robin take a Bat-Rocket at one point up to an abandoned space station, where they battle The Joker, The Penguin, and The Riddler in zero gravity. It just doesn't work for me, because that goes too far outside the scope of the series. (Although, had there been a fourth season, that almost certainly would have happened--particularly if NBC had been timely enough to pick up the show and schedule it back to back with Star Trek, as they wanted.) I'm of the mind that an animated feature set in the universe of that series ought to abide by that series' rules and stay within its boundaries. Having a veritable army of Batman duplicates running around all at once could have been done, but would have been on a much smaller scale.

Though I didn't love it, Batman vs. Two-Face was more satisfying, and certainly more satisfying than the series' finale (an entirely forgettable episode in which Zsa Zsa Gabor uses an elite spa to steal secrets from millionaires). It didn't go as far out of bounds as Caped Crusaders, though I suppose I may have been more accepting of its transgressions because I'd acclimated to the animated movies? William Shatner as Two-Face works really well, and it's fun to muse about how that might have played in live action if they'd gotten that to happen back in the 60's. The animation nailed Shatner's likeness from that era, and while his Harvey Dent voice sounds like he's sleepwalking, his Two-Face voice genuinely startled me a couple of times. Still, the portrayal of Chief O'Hara as an aggressor repeatedly smacking Professor McElroy upside the head to conjure King Tut during an interrogation was a distasteful, unforgivable mis-characterization.On the upside, there are myriad Easter eggs and references to not just the original show, but Batman canon in general. I got a kick out of a lot of these, including

Spoiler:
hearing Adam West recite the lines "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!" from the '89 movie (it pains me that he omitted the "c'mon" in front of "let's," though) and telling The Riddler that "this is an operating table and I'm the surgeon," out of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. My favorite, though, is during a moment when Catwoman tells Batman she'll surrender on the condition that they go away together to Europe and drink coffee at an outside cafe. Robin protests, "Holy unsatisfying ending!" Glorious. There's also a moment when Batman's head is injured and in his vision, Catwoman briefly blurs into all three Catwomen (Newmar, Meriwether, and Kitt).

Two-Face's special features are notable, too, as they feature more of Burt Ward than the features of the TV series box set. The big thing, though, is a recording of a Comic Con panel tribute to Adam West, featuring Ralph Garman, Kevin Smith, Lee Meriwether, and animated features producer James Tucker. It's funny and sweet, and I greatly enjoyed it.
Old 01-25-21, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I'm sorry to hear that you're also having a rough time, EdTheRipper. I've had challenges in the past that fell during such episodes where my participation was so limited that it felt like one more failure, compounding everything else. Hell, I didn't even attempt any of the last three of this challenge, and if you check out my challenge history in my signature you'll see nearly 50 others crossed out because I didn't bother with them, either. (Not all of those were victims of depression, but I'm certain the lion's share were.) Having said that, I've also had challenges where what little I did rouse myself enough to participate was a source of stability and satisfaction. I hope this year's challenge is the beneficial kind for you.
Appreciate that. And yes, this year's challenge has definitely been a bright spot for me. Even if I only sneak in a few episodes after work, I've been enjoying myself in doing so.
Old 01-27-21, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Been a tough month for me. My uncle passed away a week ago, plus I find that my cousin in Arizona has Covid-19. Been hard to enjoy most things, but I have liked watching tv. Even if a lot of times I donít feel like going online to list my viewings. Right now Iím watching an episode of Wild America that I got as a prize in one of the challenges from a few years ago.
Old 01-27-21, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 516 Posts

Sorry to hear that, shadokitty. My condolences for your uncle and hoping your cousin gets better soon.
Old 01-31-21, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 400 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I haven't formulated a plan yet, but there's so much unwatched content waiting to be checked out.

It's become a tradition for my son to receive the latest season of The Flash for Christmas, so I imagine that will be on tap.

I bought several seasons of The Walking Dead on BD at a couple of Family Video stores which were closing. I could save them for October, but they are close at hand.

And I'd like to finish up Rescue Me. I have the last 2 seasons to go on that.

Guess that is a plan of sorts. But I could easily get sidetracked and go in a different direction and I'd be ok with it.
While I've basically taken a break today from watching any TV, I watched a ton of stuff this month. I did go through The Flash & the final 2 seasons of Rescue Me. I decided to hold off on The Walking Dead until later in the year.

Other shows I watched:

The Americans: Season 3 & part of 4
Bosom Buddies: Season 1
Criminal Minds: Season 1
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 5
Dallas: Season 6 (half of the season)
Daredevil: Season 1
Dukes of Hazzard: Seasons 5/6
Family Ties: part of season 7
The Simpsons: Season 5
Veep: Season 1

I caught a few random things in addition to the list above. I'd guess that 98% or more of what I viewed was new-to-me. While the unwatched pile is still massive, it's a little smaller than it was.

Thanks to all who chimed in and participated in this joint endeavor!

Old 02-01-21, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Finished my The Simpsons rewatch! Caught up on Fargo. Finished off Mr. Robot. Also caught up on new seasons of Cobra Kai and Disenchantment.

Watched Krypton and it was okay, not great.

All of the Batman talk made me want to rewatch Batman The Animated Series, so I started that towards the end of the month. Also started rewatching Freaks & Geeks because I love it so much!

Thanks to Travis for running the challenge! I had fun as always!
Old 02-01-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 516 Posts

I made it through S4 of Game of Thrones - it's nice rewatching those early seasons. There's just so much going on and it's so well done. I'm curious to see if I still feel the same about those last 3 once I get there...

Finished S5 of That Girl. It was more of the same from S1-S4 with the exception of the theme song. For some reason they decided to add lyrics (rather lame lyrics) and score it, both instrumentally and vocally, like the Love American Style theme. It's very bad... So bad that I'd always skip it on both ends (something I don't normally do).

Finished S8 of The Andy Griffith Show and was somewhat surprised at how strong it was. My recollections from when it first aired were it was a "lesser" season but that's not really the case. The worst episode was the "finale" which really wasn't the finale but a backdoor premier of sorts for Mayberry R.F.D. a show I never cared for. It just seemed to want to be a remake of the TAGS early years right down to the widowed dad and young son, offering nothing new or different and certainly not better.

Overall, it was a very productive month and I had a great time. I plan to continue the theme and mostly skip the Feb. challenges (I never do the Academy Award one and will watch just a handful of things for the Romance/Musical one - I probably should have saved That Girl for it, eh?).
Old 02-01-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks to Travis for running the challenge! I didn't quite follow the strategy I'd had going in, but things worked out well regardless. I needed the type of humor where I can just turn my brain off during the month and Family Guy fit the bill perfectly. Now that the challenge is over, I really need to start working on my mountains of newly acquired movies, haha.
Old 02-01-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

I finished The Flight Attendant s1, The Undoing s1, and Doctor Who 2005 s3, and I started Star Trek TOS s1, Hilda s1, Avatar the Last Airbender s1, Lupin s1, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist s1 and 2, The Rookie s3, Lovecraft s1, and Bridgerton s1. I also watched the entirety of Raising Dion s1, NFL games, and Hallmark movies.

I got a good start on Star Trek TOS in what I hope will be a year-long watch. Due to other interests, I probably won’t be able to finish the complete franchise in the calendar year (which a friend has calculated would require 2.23 units per day), but I’ll watch as much as I can.
Old 02-01-21, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Travis for running this! I got through a bunch like Dynasty S1 and S2, Alaska the Last Frontier S4 and some of S5. Watched a bunch of Matlock S4 and finished off the challenge with a NYPD Blue marathon to finally finish S10. I always look forward to this challenge, i don't watch many movies so this is a challenge i can participate in.
Old 02-02-21, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks Travis for a fun month. I didnít make much of a dent in my unwatched shows, due to the events I mentioned earlier. I did enjoy turning my brain off and just vegging on the couch though.
Old 02-02-21, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

Thank you Travis for hosting this shindig. I got through The Bernie Mac Show and most of Superstore so there were laughs.