DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   16th Annual Holiday Challenge 11/20-1/1 Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/651663-16th-annual-holiday-challenge-11-20-1-1-discussion-thread.html)

shadokitty 11-01-20 06:59 AM

16th Annual Holiday Challenge 11/20-1/1 Discussion Thread

15thAnnualHolidayChallenge

OFFICIAL RULES

-Movies, TV shows/specials, Short Films & Cartoons Count

-The movie or TV show DOES NOT need to be holiday oriented. It could simply take place during the holiday season (i.e. Batman Returns, Gremlins, Die Hard, etc.)

-Although the movie doesn't have to take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film HAS to take place during the holiday season. No movies with just one scene during the holiday season. If you're not sure, ASK!

-Any holiday from Thanksgiving through New Years Day may count

-A film can only be viewed once, UNLESS you watch it and then watched it again with a commentary

-There is no global goal, shoot for a personal goal. Whatever you want your goal to be go for it. For returning participants maybe your goal should be to beat a previous year's goal.

-Again, like past years there will be a THREE Wild Card option to include movies or TV shows you might watch during the holiday season that is not holiday oriented. My family used to watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every Christmas. So anything is allowed, up to 3.

-Specials such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New Years Rockin' Eve, etc. can count, but you MUST watch the entire special in order to count it.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE number your lists! If you do not number your list it will not count towards the challenge

-It doesn't matter how you see the film, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Laserdisc, Theatrical release, it can be counted. Just have fun.

-The challenge will begin at dusk on Friday November 20 2020 and will end at dawn on Saturday January 2, 2021.

Bluelitespecial 11-01-20 07:46 AM

Re: 16th Annual Holiday Challenge 11/20-1/1 Discussion Thread

I'll be back for another year!!!

LJG765 11-01-20 11:48 AM

I've been looking forward to this for months!

Cardsfan111 11-01-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13833935)
I've been looking forward to this for months!

I know some cringe at the fact, but I've been in a few stores in recent weeks which had holiday music playing. I'm not ashamed to say I've found myself singing along (under my mask, of course). So I've been in the mood for a while as well.

Indy24LA 11-01-20 12:08 PM

I am getting excited. I need to find some time to organize my list of must watch favs and new movies/specials.

LJG765 11-01-20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 13833941)
I know some cringe at the fact, but I've been in a few stores in recent weeks which had holiday music playing. I'm not ashamed to say I've found myself singing along (under my mask, of course). So I've been in the mood for a while as well.

lol! I don't know that I'd say I'm that far along yet, but getting there. We just had a debate about whether or not we should skip decorating for Thanksgiving and just go straight to Christmas. I think we erred on the side of decorating for Thanksgiving, though the tree will go up right after Turkey Day.

I think we all just want this year to be over with and maybe if Christmas started now, it'll get here quicker too!

hbsvb 11-01-20 12:20 PM

This is one of my favorite challenges but I often don't get too many watches as real life gets busy. This year I should get more watches as there won't be the normal holiday activities and I still have quite a bit of vacation to use this year.

shadokitty 11-01-20 12:41 PM

I love the shows about Christmas train sets that are on Amazon Prime, so today I renewed for a couple months on the monthly plan. This is also one of my favorite challenges. I'll try to see what I can do about making a winner's list from last year, but with no computer, I have to wait till the keyboard for my Surface Go 2 comes in the mail.

The Monkees 11-03-20 07:28 PM

I'm back!

MysterioMan007 11-03-20 08:03 PM

I had a lot more fun with this one last year that I thought I would, although I think I won't find as many first-time watches going forward. But I'm looking forward to seeing f I can match the fun I had.

Indy24LA 11-06-20 01:07 PM

I can't be the only one looking forward to the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special right? I remember watching the OG one, so the circle is now complete.

MysterioMan007 11-11-20 06:39 PM

I didn't even know that the Star Wars Lego Holiday Special was going to be a thing, but it looks pretty funny from the trailer. I'm actually quite looking forward to The Christmas Chronicles 2, though.

shadokitty 11-13-20 05:50 AM

I just posted the list thread. I’m really looking forward to next week.

WallyOPD 11-13-20 11:15 PM

I went a little overboard last year, gonna dial it back some this time around.

jholmes 11-14-20 11:55 AM

I'm already watching CHristmas stuff. Rolled right from the October Horror Movie Challenge to Hallmark. It's been a stress-reliever for me. Looking forward to the official challenge this year.

MysterioMan007 11-18-20 07:45 PM

Yep, I've already started, too, but a few of them, I'll probably watch again before Christmas.

davidh777 11-20-20 08:32 PM

Cool, I didn’t realize this was about to start. I’ll try to score some double credits with Hallmark comedies.

LJG765 11-20-20 08:43 PM

Dang it! I missed being able to count A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving in the challenge by about an hour! D'oh! Showed it to the kids today but too early. I still have to watch the Mayflower special anyway, I guess.

For those of you who want to watch it on TV, HBO made a deal with PBS to air it on Sunday and the Christmas special on Dec. 13, commercial free.

They are also offering the Thanksgiving one on Apple+ free on Nov. 25-27th. The Christmas one will be offered free on Dec. 11-13 on Apple+.

There was a big hullabaloo when It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown didn't air on TV and HBO decided to hook up with PBS so people could still see it there.

shadokitty 11-21-20 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13846618)
Dang it! I missed being able to count A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving in the challenge by about an hour! D'oh! Showed it to the kids today but too early. I still have to watch the Mayflower special anyway, I guess.

For those of you who want to watch it on TV, HBO made a deal with PBS to air it on Sunday and the Christmas special on Dec. 13, commercial free.

They are also offering the Thanksgiving one on Apple+ free on Nov. 25-27th. The Christmas one will be offered free on Dec. 11-13 on Apple+.

There was a big hullabaloo when It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown didn't air on TV and HBO decided to hook up with PBS so people could still see it there.

I was looking at my local PBS schedule for tomorrow to see if I got Charlie Brown and saw that it looks like the entire evening is dedicated to Thanksgiving episodes on PBS Kids

Darkgod 11-24-20 07:51 AM

MeTV shows holiday themed episodes every sunday between 5p-8p.

shadokitty 11-24-20 01:03 PM

If anyone is planning on attending any virtual holiday events or concerts, such as the December 18 concert of TSO, I feel that they can be counted.

LJG765 11-24-20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13848324)
If anyone is planning on attending any virtual holiday events or concerts, such as the December 18 concert of TSO, I feel that they can be counted.

Cool! I bought a virtual concert ticket for my mom's birthday. It's a Christmas themed one, so will definitely work for this!

I haven't had a big chance to start the challenge yet but hope to tonight/tomorrow. I just was furloughed for at least 2 weeks as our schools have gone 100% virtual at least until Dec. 8 so should have some significant movie watching time.

shadokitty 11-25-20 03:31 PM

With it being Thanksgiving Eve, may everyone have a safe and happy holiday. We’re just having a dinner for those who live in my house tomorrow.

hbsvb 11-25-20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13848885)
With it being Thanksgiving Eve, may everyone have a safe and happy holiday. We’re just having a dinner for those who live in my house tomorrow.

Thank you shadokitty. May you have a safe and happy holiday as well.

Mr Awesome 11-26-20 02:40 PM

New to the community, looking forward to knowing you all better. Happy Thanksgiving.

Gonna try not to procrastonate on the 'must watch perrennials' and get them out of the way fairly early. Got 'Scrooged' on blu this year. Years since I've seen that. Gonna take advantage of D+. Watched Noelle last year, that was charming.