DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   16th Annual Holiday Challenge 11/20-1/1 Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/651663-16th-annual-holiday-challenge-11-20-1-1-discussion-thread.html)

shadokitty 12-13-20 08:45 AM

Re: 16th Annual Holiday Challenge 11/20-1/1 Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13857167)
Nah... ridiculous describes the number of adaptations of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I own at least 6 (toss in the TV show versions I own and it could be a dozen or more) different adaptations of that story which is barely scratching the surface.

Last night on a local B-Movie show that airs at Midnight every Saturday/Sunday night, they played the 1935 Scrooge with Seymour Hicks. I think I have that version as a bonus feature on my disc of the 1951 version with Alastair Sim.

LJG765 12-13-20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome (Post 13857160)
It's ridiculous how many versions of Grinch there are between the cartoon special, the live action movie, the animated movie and now the live action musical.

I'm starting to agree! At first, I was kind of excited since I really like the original and Dr. Seuss in general, but as the years go on, the adaptations keep on getting more and more outlandish and unwatchable.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13857167)
Nah... ridiculous describes the number of adaptations of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I own at least 6 (toss in the TV show versions I own and it could be a dozen or more) different adaptations of that story which is barely scratching the surface.

It's a classic! I'd agree except, I'm a huge fan of the Muppet Christmas Carol and without it being one of those movies everyone makes, I doubt it would have been made. I wonder if it started out being a favorite to film because they don't have to pay Dickens a royalty at this point for using his characters? And, the book did kind of start the whole tradition of an elaborate Christmas...

Travis McClain, I don't think he's doing this particular challenge this year, but he does an annual viewing every Christmas eve into Christmas Day of the Christmas Carol. He has a goal of trying to own every version you can have of the film.

Bluelitespecial 12-13-20 10:34 AM

I've thought of watching the newest animated Grinch movie but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I kind of liked the live action Grinch when it first came out but now that I'm 20 years older I look at it as a very bad movie. The Whos of Whoville look like rat faced mutants and the story is a bloated bore. Jim Carrey is more obnoxious than entertaining.

LJG765 12-13-20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13857213)
I've thought of watching the newest animated Grinch movie but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I kind of liked the live action Grinch when it first came out but now that I'm 20 years older I look at it as a very bad movie. The Whos of Whoville look like rat faced mutants and the story is a bloated bore. Jim Carrey is more obnoxious than entertaining.

The newest animated one isn't horrible. It's not great either. It's watchable though. I am not a fan of Jim Carrey, but he's at his worst in this version of the Grinch. It makes me cringe when I see him.

BobO'Link 12-13-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13857219)
The newest animated one isn't horrible. It's not great either. It's watchable though. I am not a fan of Jim Carrey, but he's at his worst in this version of the Grinch. It makes me cringe when I see him.

I have the newest animated version out for a viewing this year. I'm curious to see if my attitude towards it changes from my first viewing last year. As I was looking through my Christmas titles I didn't find my copy of the Howard/Carrey version so I don't know where it's gotten off to but I really don't much care and I'm not digging through the totes just to find that one. All the rest are together so when I first boxed 'em all up it got misplaced somehow. But I've also misplaced the copy of Mickey's Christmas Carol (the Mickey mouse version of the Dickens story). That one's not too bad and the kids like it pretty well - much better than the live action ones I prefer.

LJG765 12-20-20 12:17 AM

I decided to watch Christmas in Connecticut tonight, thought I hadn't seen it before but after a few minutes, it came back. Not my favorite, but it's a very light watch. The summary refers to it as a slapstick comedy and that's true, though I wish it wasn't. The few over-the-top bits really stick out to me. The snow falling on the main actors, the baby "talking," the flapjacks...eh. Kind of cringy watching them. (I also cringed thinking that that snow was most likely asbestos and that those actors were lucky if they didn't end up sick!)

I had the thought that Hallmark movies aren't that unique of a category...the silly romantic holiday movie started early!

shadokitty 12-20-20 05:30 AM

The TSO concert I won the ticket for is available on demand until tonight, so plan to watch it later today when the whole family can gather around the computer.

Mr Awesome 12-20-20 08:32 AM

Dickens has been around a lot longer than Grinch. Plus the Christmas Carol template (and it's a wonderful life) are very basic, like a holiday recipe where you can put your own spin on it. I just don't get the durability of Grinch that its been remade by Universal so many times, I get doing it once. There's so many better holiday specials plus after a the remakes, the Chuck Jones special is still best.

Watched Pee-wee's Christmas Special on YT yesterday. Luckily there's an original airing up there recorded off of the Columbus CBS affiliate. Also viewed Muppets Christmas Carol for the first time in decades.

LJG765 12-20-20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome (Post 13860754)
Dickens has been around a lot longer than Grinch. Plus the Christmas Carol template (and it's a wonderful life) are very basic, like a holiday recipe where you can put your own spin on it. I just don't get the durability of Grinch that its been remade by Universal so many times, I get doing it once. There's so many better holiday specials plus after a the remakes, the Chuck Jones special is still best.

Watched Pee-wee's Christmas Special on YT yesterday. Luckily there's an original airing up there recorded off of the Columbus CBS affiliate. Also viewed Muppets Christmas Carol for the first time in decades.

Agreed. The original is awesome but the remakes have not been even close. Though, they must be making money off of them if they keep on remaking it. It's the only reason I can see for them to keep doing it.

I own a DVD copy of that Pee-Wee Herman special. I watch it almost every year because it's so fun. I used to love the show when I was a kid. It's amazing how many celebrities are in it.

davidh777 12-20-20 01:18 PM

I recently watched the new Grinch (it was going to drop off Netflix), and it was fine. I remember hating the Carrey version. I saw a live stage version a few years ago and remember hating that too.

shadokitty 12-20-20 02:01 PM

If anyone gets MeTV, both Collector’s Call and the midnight episode of Twilight Zone are Christmas episodes. TZ is going to be ‘Night Of The Meek’, which, incidentally is one of my favorite episodes.

Mr Awesome 12-20-20 06:56 PM

Got to a few more sitcom merriment via MeTV and Antenna TV. Also knocked out Elf and started Christmas Vacation. Earlier I viewed The Polar Express for the first time, really captured the spirit of the holidays.

Bluelitespecial 12-20-20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome (Post 13861032)
Got to a few more sitcom merriment via MeTV and Antenna TV. Also knocked out Elf and started Christmas Vacation. Earlier I viewed The Polar Express for the first time, really captured the spirit of the holidays.

Wow first time watching The Polar Express. I enjoy it up until they get to the North Pole and it feels like the movie falls apart after that.

MysterioMan007 12-21-20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13861083)
Wow first time watching The Polar Express. I enjoy it up until they get to the North Pole and it feels like the movie falls apart after that.

That whole portion where they find all the presents feels like it could've been cut and not affected the movie in any way. I used to feel the same way, but multiple viewings have warmed me up to the North Pole stuff. I just think it could've been trimmed a little.

BobO'Link 12-22-20 08:14 AM

I still find the animation style, mostly with Tom Hanks' character, of The Polar Express to be somewhat creepy. The story's not bad but the animation keeps me from watching it more than once every 3 years or so.

I watched Illumination's The Grinch last night. The underlying story's OK and there are some superbly creative sequences and "set" designs, many of which do channel the original Dr. Seuss designs. IMHO, the biggest issue was padding the story way too much for it to properly work with sequences that serve no real purpose. The sequence where Grinch plays the organ to "All By Myself" just doesn't work at all and could be dropped, likely to the betterment of the flow, as could the entire "rap" style soundtrack portions - they do not help at all. Benedict Cumberbatch was not a good choice to be the voice of the Grinch. He's too whiny sounding, like a teenager who's not getting his way. Several of the gags played like they'd been stolen from a Chuck Jones cartoon. This time out I noticed the faces, all of which have a generic kind of look with the primary little girl character looking and acting like one of the girls in the Despicable Me series. Basically she felt and looked recycled. Injecting a "modern" theme also hurts the story (and is much of the padding). Visually, it's quite good, with the Grinch and dog looking good, and kids ages 3-11 or so will likely love it, especially if they love the Despicable Me movies as that's what it ultimately looks and plays like, just not as good. Frankly, if they'd reimagined it with Groo as the Grinch I think it'd have worked quite well as a Despicable Me Christmas movie. Us grown kids just need to stick with the original 60s TV special.

Mr Awesome 12-22-20 08:00 PM

Tomorrow I want to rewatch some old Bob Hope Christmas shows and a couple holiday episodes from the Jack Benny The Lost Episodes dvd set.

davidh777 12-25-20 12:59 AM

Just finished the Netflix holiday-set series Dash and Lily. I thought it was fun and charming.

Mr Awesome 12-25-20 08:50 AM

Last night watched a bunch of Perry Como Christmas specials. As usual, I really enjoyed the banter. Started with New York 83, then Hawaii 85 and Holy Land 80.

Started the morning with Smurfs Christmas.

shadokitty 12-25-20 11:02 AM

Merry Christmas everyone. Last night I watched one of my annual watches, The 1951, Alastair Sim Christmas Carol. While I enjoy other versions, that particular version has always been my favorite. I think because Alastair Sim seems to add a touch of humanity to Scrooge and I don’t hate him.

LJG765 12-25-20 10:07 PM

The last couple days have been fairly quiet. It's just me and my mom this Christmas. We've totally been eating well and watching a lot of Christmas movies though! Last night, we sync'd up with Travis (and a few other people) and watched The Muppet Christmas Carol. Had a few technical difficulties on my side, but I think I'm going to blame my really old laptop. Eventually got going and enjoyed the watch. I can easily say that The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite adaptation of the classic. Michael Caine is great as Scrooge and I love all the Muppets, especially Gonzo and Rizzo as Dickens and sidekick.

Tonight we watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. One of my favorite holiday movies ever. Love the music and the visuals and just everything. Finished up tonight with my first watch of Noelle from Disney+. I did like this one. It's nothing controversial, nothing super exciting, but very cute. The "surprise" was pretty quick and easy to figure out but honestly, it didn't bother me too much. It's just a cute, simple Christmas feel-good movie. I doubt I'll watch it every year, but if someone wanted to watch it, I wouldn't mind.

BobO'Link 12-30-20 08:11 AM

I watched Home Alone yesterday. I still enjoy this one but have never really cared much for the sequel as it feels pretty much like a remake/reimagining instead of a new movie. It has its moments but they're not enough for me.

YET... I watched The Santa Clause 2 and The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause following that viewing of Home Alone. I enjoy the 2nd film almost as much as the first but the 3rd is still pretty bad. Every time I rewatch it I think "maybe it'll be better this time" but it never is. It doesn't even follow its own internal logic. OK... there are issues with the 2nd as well with Santa now having to marry to keep the job which brings up the question of "What happened to the previous Mrs. Clause when the previous Santa fell off the roof and died?"

I still have a couple I may try to work in over the next couple of days. Specifically White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life, the latter of which I upgraded to the more recent remastered BR release after reading it was a worthwhile upgrade over the original BR. I also haven't watched Scrooged, one of my favorite versions of the story, this year but don't know if I'll try to get it in or not.

shadokitty 12-30-20 09:22 AM

I’ve slowed down after Christmas, but still catch an occasional thing on tv. Also still have Christmas shows on my DVR that I have yet to get to. Debated some Disney shows on Disney+ yesterday, but opted for a first time viewing of Tangled instead. Suppose I could have used a Wild Card if I really wanted. I would still like to get in the He-Man and She Ra Christmas Special.

LJG765 12-30-20 04:21 PM

I just finished the fourth Christmas in Evergreen movie. I really enjoyed these. I know that they are very much a "Hallmark" movie and all that, but maybe it's because this year was super complicated, I just needed a few feel good movies where I know there will be some conflict, but it's slight...very slight! and they solve it quickly. I enjoy the formula and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Honestly, if they sold these as a 4-pack, I'd pick them up on BR/DVD. I've really cut back on my Christmas movie buying since there are so many of them now and they tend to blend together at a certain point, but these are just simple fun that I'd likely watch repeatedly. (Pretty sure at least one or two are on disc, but I'd much rather have them all in one set). I also hope that they make a fifth one next year.

As the challenge winds down, I'm still plugging away. I did pretty well and will likely add another one or two movies to my list. I did finish my one offical goal this year, which was watching all four of the Evergreen movies, but also made some progress on my unofficial goal. I have quite a shelf of Christmas movies and over the last couple years, I've been trying to give them all a watch. While I did have some repeats, I did quite a few "new" watches. I just want to go through all my films and make sure I see each one at least once!

BobO'Link 12-30-20 05:00 PM

I watched both White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life.

White Christmas has never been a "favorite" but still ranks high on my Christmas movie watching list. As a kid I originally saw Holiday Inn and loved it. When I later saw White Christmas I thought it was Holiday Inn, after all, it *does* take place at an almost identical inn and has similar casting and plotting while re-using many of the songs, and kept wondering where certain scenes and musical numbers were. I finally caught on and from then on considered it to be somewhat an inferior "rip off" of White Christmas (it didn't help that I've never been much of a Danny Kaye fan). It wasn't until many, many, years later I discovered it's an unofficial remake of Holiday Inn. I like it better now than when I first saw it and it grows on me a little every time I see it although I still prefer Holiday Inn. The BR is absolutely stunning to look at.

The 2019 remastered BR of It's a Wonderful Life is also quite good and most definitely an upgrade from the prior/original BR release. It has much better contrast with far less black crush than in the original. I did not watch the colorized version and don't know that I ever will as I generally don't care for that process. As many times as I've seen this one, and it's been dozens, I still get choked up at the end.

LJG765 12-30-20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13865611)
I watched both White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life.

White Christmas has never been a "favorite" but still ranks high on my Christmas movie watching list. As a kid I originally saw Holiday Inn and loved it. When I later saw White Christmas I thought it was Holiday Inn, after all, it *does* take place at an almost identical inn and has similar casting and plotting while re-using many of the songs, and kept wondering where certain scenes and musical numbers were. I finally caught on and from then on considered it to be somewhat an inferior "rip off" of White Christmas (it didn't help that I've never been much of a Danny Kaye fan). It wasn't until many, many, years later I discovered it's an unofficial remake of White Christmas. I like it better now than when I first saw it and it grows on me a little every time I see it although I still prefer Holiday Inn. The BR is absolutely stunning to look at.

The 2019 remastered BR of It's a Wonderful Life is also quite good and most definitely an upgrade from the prior/original BR release. It has much better contrast with far less black crush than in the original. I did not watch the colorized version and don't know that I ever will as I generally don't care for that process. As many times as I've seen this one, and it's been dozens, I still get choked up at the end.

I watched both Holiday Inn and White Christmas this year. I first saw them both in my late 20s, so for me, there's not as much nostalgia involved. I kind of like them both about the same, though the black face in Holiday Inn makes me cringe hard. I know, different times and all that and I wouldn't want them to take it out, because then you're ignoring the past and the problem, but still...cringe. But, they are both easy watches, good music and for the most part, good acting. Definitely not something I HAVE to watch every year, but every 2-3 I pop them in.

I have to admit, I hate It's a Wonderful Life. Jimmy Stewart is annoying and I've never ever liked a movie he's been in. I appreciate that he was going through a lot while filming it. I just don't like the plot at all and don't like the main actor so it's up there with ELF for me, unwatchable!