DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Tenth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2020 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/651554-tenth-annual-november-comedy-challenge-%2Adiscussion-thread%2A-nov-1-30-2020-a.html)

davidh777 10-16-20 02:50 AM

The Tenth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2020

Rules

This Challenge overlaps with two well-established Challenges - October's Horror Challenge and the November-December Holiday Challenge. During the overlapping days, you can receive "double credit" by listing any qualifying items watched for those other two Challenges on your Comedy Challenge list.

It should be self-evident what titles qualify, but if you have questions about something you've never seen, check out its genre classification on IMDB, Allmovie, or metacritic, or ask about it in the discussion thread. Live events (stand-up acts, plays, TV show tapings, etc.) and audio performances (comedy albums, old-time radio shows) can also be listed.

Post your list in the list thread. Be as creative or as basic with your list as you want.

You may number (or not number) the items on your list any way you like. However, the preferred method is, as with the Holiday Challenge, any title watched, no matter how long or how short, counts as one list item. This should make it easier to record qualifying items on both lists if you participate in both Challenges.

davidh777 10-16-20 02:52 AM

Re: The Tenth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2020

Reserved

Trevor 10-16-20 10:56 AM

Re: The Tenth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2020

I think a MST3K binge is my main plan.

Cardsfan111 10-31-20 06:22 PM

I think it's officially dusk in my neck of the woods. Had some trick-or-treaters by earlier, but it's quieted down as the sun has set. Trying to decide what kind of horror comedy I can check out. Anyone else have any specific plans to kick off the evening?

davidh777 11-01-20 12:38 AM

After watching Underwater, I lightened things up by resuming season 4 of The Good Place then realized it counted! :banana:

Mr Awesome 11-01-20 09:54 AM

Rick and Morty season 4 dropped on hulu today, gonna try to binge that.

Trevor 11-01-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 13833665)
I think it's officially dusk in my neck of the woods. Had some trick-or-treaters by earlier, but it's quieted down as the sun has set. Trying to decide what kind of horror comedy I can check out. Anyone else have any specific plans to kick off the evening?

Late to reply, but I always just go with the Horror Challenge cross-challenge pick for the crossover time. Pretty sure it was my first screening of The Witches (1990) last night, along with some classic Abbot & Costello.

BobO'Link 11-01-20 10:47 AM

I started last nigh with the crossover titles of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and The Ghost and Mr. Chicken - classics!

Today I started with a Jerry Lewis 3 movie set. These are some of his later material, where he'd switched studios and begun his decline, but still not all that bad.

LJG765 11-01-20 11:44 AM

Last night, I started the challenge with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! Peanuts cartoons were never my favorites, but they have grown on me over the years.

I followed up with my yearly tradition, The Goonies. In the past 15 years, I have only missed watching this once on Halloween. I was in the ICU, so I think that's a good reason. lol!

No big plans for this month. Not sure what I'll get watched...doubt I'll even try for the checklist. I just want to watch some feel good movies that make me laugh.

BobO'Link 11-01-20 12:20 PM

I was 10 when A Charlie Brown Christmas first aired, 11 for It's the Great Pumpkin: Charlie Brown. The first 2 were magical things while the others just feel like cash-in sequels, growing more commercial with each one. My grandkids like more of them than I do but rarely ask for any of them. It's only when I break out "Christmas" or "Pumpkin" that they remember the rest. Fortunately I only own the 60s (the set of all the 60s ones), Thanksgiving, and Easter specials but rarely watch anything outside those first 2.

I thought The Goonies was pretty lame when it came out - but it's grown on me over the years and I really enjoy it now. Sure, it's a typical Spielberg manipulation movie but it works and is fun. I may have to watch it this year - it's been a few since my last viewing.

LJG765 11-01-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13833956)
I was 10 when A Charlie Brown Christmas first aired, 11 for It's the Great Pumpkin: Charlie Brown. The first 2 were magical things while the others just feel like cash-in sequels, growing more commercial with each one. My grandkids like more of them than I do but rarely ask for any of them. It's only when I break out "Christmas" or "Pumpkin" that they remember the rest. Fortunately I only own the 60s (the set of all the 60s ones), Thanksgiving, and Easter specials but rarely watch anything outside those first 2.

I thought The Goonies was pretty lame when it came out - but it's grown on me over the years and I really enjoy it now. Sure, it's a typical Spielberg manipulation movie but it works and is fun. I may have to watch it this year - it's been a few since my last viewing.

I'm not sure why I wasn't a big fan at first. Maybe because I didn't see them until I was older, maybe because they were my sister's favorite? It could also be that I was never a Lucy fan and she plays a big part of those two specials and is particularly mean to Charlie Brown. I don't know that I've seen a ton of the older/newer shorts, but I did see the new movie and was not a fan.

Goonies has been a favorite of mine since it first came out. I loved the chase aspect, the visuals are great. I mean, that pirate ship is awesome! I watch it while handing out candy because I've seen it so many times, I can quote it, so if I miss chunks of it, it's not a big deal. I get at least one or two comments every year as my tv can be seen through our front window and that never fails to make me smile. Parents are still showing it to their kids! I also usually watch the Cindy Lauper music video which is pretty amazing if you haven't seen it yet. A few years ago, I splurged and bought the big BR gift set with the game. Haven't found someone to play it with me yet, but one day! But the box is really nice to display anyway.

This year was definitely unique. We didn't hand out candy but I did make sure to carve pumpkins and watch the Goonies. It was sad watching the kids out the window (not near as many as most years, but more than I expected), but I'm optimistic that next year will be better.

shadokitty 11-01-20 12:36 PM

I kicked off my challenge with Muppets Now, on Disney+. I enjoyed the mix of interview segment along with a plot. I also don't have a plan and will likely wing it.

Trevor 11-01-20 02:57 PM

Not a popular opinion I know, but The Goonies is a horrible film. If I saw it as a kid I might appreciate it, but first time viewing as an adult and every line of kids dialogue is like nails on a chalkboard.

LJG765 11-01-20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13834052)
Not a popular opinion I know, but The Goonies is a horrible film. If I saw it as a kid I might appreciate it, but first time viewing as an adult and every line of kids dialogue is like nails on a chalkboard.

:jawdrop:

davidh777 11-01-20 03:14 PM

I saw the Goonies for the first time a few years ago and wasn’t impressed. I’ll try it again someday.

BobO'Link 11-01-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13834052)

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13834060)
:jawdrop:

I felt exactly the same way when I first saw it. Once he was old enough to see it my son loved it so it was somewhat regularly watched. With his repeated viewings I came to appreciate it for what it is. I still think the majority is implausible but the kid's dialog is pretty much spot on for how kids of that age talk.

I just finished a viewing. Something I don't think I've ever picked up on before is when the girl is playing the bone keyboard, looks at the music, and says "I can't tell if that's an A# or Bb." They're the same thing.

LJG765 11-06-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13834092)
I felt exactly the same way when I first saw it. Once he was old enough to see it my son loved it so it was somewhat regularly watched. With his repeated viewings I came to appreciate it for what it is. I still think the majority is implausible but the kid's dialog is pretty much spot on for how kids of that age talk.

I just finished a viewing. Something I don't think I've ever picked up on before is when the girl is playing the bone keyboard, looks at the music, and says "I can't tell if that's an A# or Bb." They're the same thing.

Yeah, the whole thing totally wouldn't happen. But I just love the whole aesthetic. I love the flaws just as much as I love the good stuff. Bran calls Mikey by his real name at one point, they left the octopus line in at the end of the movie, but not the actual octopus, Troy's red undies in the toilet scene. Then you have all the pirate visuals that are amazing. The wishing well and the skeleton piano...the pirate ship!

I don't play music so I've never caught that A# B flat being the same line before, so now I'll get another chuckle. :)

I recently (2 summers ago?) found the book at a garage sale and of course I picked it up. The book is fairly horrible, but fairly close to the movie which makes sense as it is a tie-in.

Taught 2nd graders today, was excited to see that I was going to show a Peanuts special in class today (celebrating a student's bday) but can't count it as it was only the last 20 minutes or so as they had already seen the first half. Oh well!

davidh777 11-06-20 07:53 PM

During election season, I’m always grateful to get some humor relief from John Oliver, Trevor Noah, and Stephen Colbert and have it count for the challenge. :dance:

EdTheRipper 11-06-20 11:10 PM

I've been meaning to watch Rick and Morty forever, and am happy that I finally took the leap for this challenge. I'm really enjoying it, and my son is watching with me so it is a win-win for me.

Trevor 11-07-20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 13838229)
I've been meaning to watch Rick and Morty forever, and am happy that I finally took the leap for this challenge. I'm really enjoying it, and my son is watching with me so it is a win-win for me.

I waited until about a year or so ago, not sure why I held out so long, as I love Dan Harmon and most Adult Swim I’ve sampled over the years. Rick and Morty is pure genius. I try to watch just a couple episodes a month, so that it’ll last longer. Still in the first half of season four iirc.

Darkgod 11-09-20 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 13838229)

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13838583)
I waited until about a year or so ago, not sure why I held out so long, as I love Dan Harmon and most Adult Swim I’ve sampled over the years. Rick and Morty is pure genius. I try to watch just a couple episodes a month, so that it’ll last longer. Still in the first half of season four iirc.

I'm in the same boat too... I loved community, and everyone told me to watch Rick and Morty but i never did. When the pandemic did, I binged the first three seasons on Hulu and loved it. I just started season 4 this month.

BobO'Link 11-09-20 12:48 PM

Over the past week or so I binged S1 & S2 of Mister Ed and S4 of That Girl. That Girl is starting to feel a bit "samey" after 4 seasons - there's 1 left and I may watch it before the month's over. Mister Ed has been a delight! I'd watched S1 a few years back but stopped before watching S2. Then I picked up the complete series box set so this is a fresh start and the first time I've seen those S2 episodes since it originally aired. I'm quite surprised at how they've kept things fairly fresh and episodes don't, at least for now, have that "been there, seen that before" feel.

shadokitty 11-09-20 03:01 PM

I long ago lost disc 1 when something heavy fell on my DVD player, crushing it, but I’ve been thinking about getting out my copy of The Johnny Carson show to watch this month.

Mr Awesome 11-09-20 09:09 PM

Last weekend I did a focus on Steve Martin, next weekend I may do Chevy Chase. One of Steve Martin's best movies was Bowfinger with Eddie Murphy and I hope to get to that this week or before the month ends.

EdTheRipper 11-23-20 04:41 PM

I haven't been able to watch too much this past week and a half or so. I work in the meat department at a grocery store, so it's been more than a bit hectic. Between the holiday and the upswing in COVID-19 cases, I've been coming home exhausted and crashing right after work. Hopefully I can manage to sneak in at least a few more entries once things mellow out at work.