Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-13-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by clckworang
What was the F13 fan film from a year or two ago that a lot of people watched and liked? Wasn't it just long enough to count on its own rather than as a short? These fan films could be great companions with the new Blu-ray set.
Never Hike Alone?
Old 10-14-20, 12:09 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I hit #50 tonight, Oct 13th. So that's pretty good. At this pace, I'll definitely go a little over 100, though not a ton over.

Watched 3 giallos tonight for the theme and Antebellum (2020). Antebellum has a lot of polarized reviews on imdb. I thought the message was heavy-handed, but I still enjoyed it. The ending has a decent revenge component, which is something I like. Best to go in blind if you want to watch it. I gave it a 6/10.
Old 10-14-20, 05:46 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watched David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986) with my 16 year old son yesterday. Not much freaks him out but this movie did.

I haven't seen it in quite awhile and forgot how great the performances are in this movie. That along with the outstanding practical special effects make this a near perfect horror film. I have been trying to find a few criticisms of the film on my own and so far have not been able to come up with any. All the performances are believable as is the dialogue, situations, etc.

Anyone find fault with this film?

The Fly is a 10/10. Only fault I can find is Jeff Goldblum's mullet.
Old 10-14-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
The Fly is a 10/10. Only fault I can find is Jeff Goldblum's mullet.
Hey, Jeff Goldblum's mullet is rocking!

Love The Fly remake too, and it would get my highest rating. I guess I could nitpick the science (though Goldblum's rants about the "flesh" are so Cronenberg). But even there the approach to what would actually happen (fly and human DNA spliced) makes a whole lot more sense than just swapping a head and hand like in the original.

Remakes are usually looked down on by horror fans, but the 80's had some really good ones: The Fly, The Thing, The Blob, Cat People, Invaders From Mars. They all did what good remakes should do: approach the material from a new perspective, and take advantage of newer filmmaking technology and loosened censorship standards. Except for Invaders From Mars, they were all criticized at the time for being too graphic.
Old 10-14-20, 12:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
I hit #50 tonight, Oct 13th. So that's pretty good. At this pace, I'll definitely go a little over 100, though not a ton over.
I hit number 50 last night as well so will likely go over 100 for the first time. I'm also on pace to complete the checklist, theme nights and watch all the subset picks as well. I've never managed to complete all of them in a single challenge previously. It's unlikely to happen again in the future unless we have another pandemic during October.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Hey, Jeff Goldblum's mullet is rocking!

Love The Fly remake too, and it would get my highest rating. I guess I could nitpick the science (though Goldblum's rants about the "flesh" are so Cronenberg). But even there the approach to what would actually happen (fly and human DNA spliced) makes a whole lot more sense than just swapping a head and hand like in the original.

Remakes are usually looked down on by horror fans, but the 80's had some really good ones: The Fly, The Thing, The Blob, Cat People, Invaders From Mars. They all did what good remakes should do: approach the material from a new perspective, and take advantage of newer filmmaking technology and loosened censorship standards. Except for Invaders From Mars, they were all criticized at the time for being too graphic.
That would have been such a missed opportunity though. I love the original for just that.
Old 10-14-20, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

In case you don't have it, Amazon currently has the 30-Film Universal Monsters Collection for $70 - it's a great set!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKY35N5/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKY35N5/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Undeadcow (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Add me to the list of those that enjoyed The Fly. I watched it during the Sci Fi challenge, when it was on one of the movie channels I get. I also enjoyed the Cat People remake, plus the soundtrack was awesome. Especially Putting out fire with gasoline.
Old 10-14-20, 03:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have one more stupid question. For the Oath by Joe Bob Briggs Theme on the 23rd, I know we can watch one of the movies Joe Bob is hosting to replaced the Theme movie, but can we watch any movie that Joe Bob has hosted so far to replace the Theme movie (which I'm not sure I can locate)?
Old 10-14-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Never Hike Alone?
I watched Never Hike Alone for this challenge, and Never Hike In the Snow just came out last night which is a prequel to the first film.
Old 10-14-20, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

For anyone looking for ideas of things to watch Rotten Tomatoes has a whole bunch of horror list articles. They go strictly by the Tomato-meter rating (regardless of review number), so take the rankings with a big grain of salt. For example, Best Horror Movies on Netflix has Creep 2 as #1 ahead of movies like Silence of the Lambs, Pan's Labyrinth, and Evil Dead (the people who made Creep 2 can't even think that's true). Best Horror Movies of 2020 is good for showing recent stuff. And since the pandemic has blown up theatrical releases all of them are likely available to stream somewhere now. Although I'm really hoping Uncle Peckerhead is not truly the best horror has to offer in 2020 (haven't seen it though).

Despite their problems, lists like these give me ideas of things to watch and there's always a few things that I'm directed to that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise (and end enjoying). From the Netflix list, Sweetheart, Freaks, and The Platform are movies I watched for the summer Sci-Fi challenge and enjoyed to varying degrees. Sweetheart is a short and lean monster movie. I haven't seen The New Mutants, but Freaks seems like a much more successful spin on the same idea (a dark R-rated story of young potential-superhero mutants). The Platform is weird and certainly something different ... it was memorable even if it didn't seem completely satisfying to me in the end.

A number of the movies on the other list are available on streaming services too (like Amazon Prime and Shudder). Come to Daddy is something I saw and enjoyed a few months and is Amazon Prime. It stars Elijah Wood and is darkly funny and goes in some interesting directions. Synopsis:
A privileged man-child arrives at the beautiful and remote coastal cabin of his estranged father, whom he hasn't seen in 30 years. He quickly discovers that not only is his dad a jerk, he also has a shady past that is rushing to catch up with him.
WillieMLF (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Man, ShoutTV has loads of stuff on their channel. Sitting down to watch Black Christmas now.
Old 10-14-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught the Child's Play knockoff Dolly Dearest, and it was actually much better than I was led to believe. Can't help but wonder if Cult of Chucky got inspiration from this film with the idea of
Spoiler:
multiple possessed dolls?

Speaking of which, I think I'll break open my Chucky set and make it a killer doll theme night.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I have one more stupid question. For the Oath by Joe Bob Briggs Theme on the 23rd, I know we can watch one of the movies Joe Bob is hosting to replaced the Theme movie, but can we watch any movie that Joe Bob has hosted so far to replace the Theme movie (which I'm not sure I can locate)?
Yes!
Old 10-14-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Never Hike Alone?
Originally Posted by fiver
I watched Never Hike Alone for this challenge, and Never Hike In the Snow just came out last night which is a prequel to the first film.
Thanks! That's probably it.

Speaking of F13, I received the new set today. It arrived in pretty much perfect condition. I had to talk myself down when I received it. I was very tempted to just rip it open and start watching. I had to remind myself that I at least should watch Destroy All Monsters from the Godzilla set before moving to another set. I also need to get in today's theme still. I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow. I can't believe I'll be able to watch a proper 3d presentation of the third one. I didn't think that would ever come out.
Old 10-14-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks! That's probably it.

Speaking of F13, I received the new set today. It arrived in pretty much perfect condition. I had to talk myself down when I received it. I was very tempted to just rip it open and start watching. I had to remind myself that I at least should watch Destroy All Monsters from the Godzilla set before moving to another set. I also need to get in today's theme still. I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow. I can't believe I'll be able to watch a proper 3d presentation of the third one. I didn't think that would ever come out.
I got mine today from DeepDiscountDVD - been a long time since I've ordered from them and I was shocked at just how poorly packaged the box was. It was just shaking around in there, one of the discs was loose too. Fortunately, I didn't see any damage to the box or the discs so I breathed a sigh of relief. I don't think I've seen every movie in a long time...Jason X I think I've only seen once shortly after it came out. Freddy vs Jason and the remake I haven't ever seen. Of course, I'm skeptical I'll be able to watch 12 of these in succession but we'll see how far I get.
Old 10-15-20, 01:03 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

If anyone's looking for a good horror comedy, we just watched Extra Ordinary (2019) and loved it. Irish indie about a woman with a talent for talking to ghosts who has been avoiding her gift until she has to save a girl from a local washed up pop star/satanist. Charming with some truly funny bits.
The following 2 users liked this post by jholmes:
IBJoel (10-15-20), WillieMLF (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 02:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI the theme link for Stuart Gordon on Sunday the 18th directs to Larry Cohen films
Old 10-15-20, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Add me to the list of those that enjoyed The Fly. I watched it during the Sci Fi challenge, when it was on one of the movie channels I get. I also enjoyed the Cat People remake, plus the soundtrack was awesome. Especially Putting out fire with gasoline.
Add me to the list as well. You've got to love Cronenberg for making The Fly so wonderfully gooey! Love Cat People and the Bowie song as well!

Originally Posted by brainee
Although I'm really hoping Uncle Peckerhead is not truly the best horror has to offer in 2020 (haven't seen it though
Don't discount Uncle Peckerhead. It's actually pretty good! Maybe not best of the year but I really enjoyed it, way more than I thought I would. It's a great film for this challenge and I hope a number of you get a chance to see it.

I can't believe I'll be able to watch a proper 3d presentation of the third one. I didn't think that would ever come out.
Didn't I see that the set came with a couple pairs of anaglyphic 3D glasses? I thought that indicated the set still did not include a proper Blu-Ray 3D version of F13 Part III. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Originally Posted by jholmes
If anyone's looking for a good horror comedy, we just watched Extra Ordinary (2019) and loved it. Irish indie about a woman with a talent for talking to ghosts who has been avoiding her gift until she has to save a girl from a local washed up pop star/satanist. Charming with some truly funny bits.
I also thought Extra Ordinary was pretty good. I saw it at a film festival last year and laughed a lot. Great premise and Will Forte is pretty funny in it too.
Old 10-15-20, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Caught The Host on Shudder. Kept hearing it was very good.,.. was a little hesitant for a Zoom call horror film... but it was good. I really thought it was done well, and had some genuine scares.
Old 10-15-20, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Didn't I see that the set came with a couple pairs of anaglyphic 3D glasses? I thought that indicated the set still did not include a proper Blu-Ray 3D version of F13 Part III. Hope I'm wrong about that.
You're completely wrong about that. The old set came with glasses; the new set doesn't have any.
Old 10-15-20, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You're completely wrong about that. The old set came with glasses; the new set doesn't have any.
Well that's great news!
Old 10-15-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive gotten behind... but heres day 7

WillieMLF (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I counted never hike alone as 1 .. but how are people counting never hike in the snow
Old 10-15-20, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

This week!
The Hotel Transylvania trilogy (pretty fun and cute, although I felt the entries have decreasing returns)
Beyond the Black Rainbow (felt that the visuals/score were stunning and has a cool concept, but otherwise garbage. Still planning to watch Mandy)
Child's Play 2019 (remove the other kids and I think you have a good movie)
Prom Night 1980 (feels like a made-for-TV Halloween cash-in)
From Beyond (now THIS is something to watch if you like The Fly remake)
Scanners (v good)
Twitches (v cute)
Haunters: The Art of the Scare (had to turn off, because I felt so embarrassed for these people)
Ghosts of Mars (excellent credits song that then became fun garbage)
Village of the Damned
Prince of Darkness (fantastic first half, but the execution of the birth of Satan being "uh... zombies?" was weak, I felt)
In the Mouth of Madness (definitely Carpenter's best post-80s horror movie, but man, what happened to the guy after 1990? Glad he's doing music now, which I love)

I completed the John Carpenter horror catalogue, finally. Prince of Darkness and Village of the Damned to me both have great set-ups and then the last 1/2-1/3 just creates this huge dip in quality. For Damned, it was the annoying-ass kids that can't act and not acting on any larger plan than "stay in this barn" and Prince was not nearly creative or disturbing enough. Prince is unquestionably superior, though.

Been a not-great week for horror at my place, after a very strong start earlier this month. I've been catching up on a lot of Lovecraftian and mindscrew stuff I've never seen before, but having watched Hausu totally ruins them, because I feel like that film just has such a better grasp on insanity).

Last edited by IBJoel; 10-15-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I think you are talking about the little staged picture I put up, those glasses were from the first blu-ray set and were placed there for effect.
Spoiler:

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-16-20 at 10:24 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.