Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD that is suppose to be in 4.3 but it's fully fitting my 16.9 tv.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-15-20, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dvd that is suppose to be in 1.33.1 full-screen, it even says so on the back of the case. but it seems the studio has cropped it to fit 16.9 screens. It is very noticeable specially since the top of peoples heads are being cut out through most of the film. I don't think a director would chose to do this. I checked and it's not my TV or 4k Blu-ray player cropping it to fit. Is there a way to get the picture back to 1.33.1/4.3 so i can get the full picture?

Update: i just put the dvd in another blu-ray player and it is coming in 4.3 with the black bars. So i'm really confused at why it's completely filling the screen with my other player. I checked the settings and it's not set to do that and it plays other flullscreen DVD's with the black bars perfectly fine.

Last edited by dukiejosh54; 08-15-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: DVD that is suppose to be in 4.3 but it's fully fitting my 16.9 tv.

If the DVD is 4:3 full screen, it's possible there is a zoom feature on either the TV or the disc player that is cropping off the top and bottom edges of the image. I understand you have checked this but sometimes TVs can have a multitude of zooming and aspect ratio adjustments.

What is the title that is having the problem? From my own experience I have the Cheezy Films version of "Convoy" which appeared to be a 4:3 letterbox source transferred to DVD but formatted in 16:9 anamorphic. This disc never really played correctly on any set-up I had except for a SONY TV which seemed to counter-correct it and make it watchable.

I also have 4:3 widescreen films such as The Abyss, True Lies, Snake Eyes, Hard Rain etc. that are "flagged" in my SONY Blu-ray player to expand to 16:9 and fill the whole screen giving the viewer the impression they are actually watching a 16:9 anamorphic transfer even though it's really 4:3 format and should be pillar-boxed "widescreen".

I would test other 4:3 DVDs in the same player/TV combo and check if you get the same result. If you do, then hook-up a different player to the TV and see if it changes anything.
The following users liked this post:
dukiejosh54 (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner
If the DVD is 4:3 full screen, it's possible there is a zoom feature on either the TV or the disc player that is cropping off the top and bottom edges of the image. I understand you have checked this but sometimes TVs can have a multitude of zooming and aspect ratio adjustments.

What is the title that is having the problem? From my own experience I have the Cheezy Films version of "Convoy" which appeared to be a 4:3 letterbox source transferred to DVD but formatted in 16:9 anamorphic. This disc never really played correctly on any set-up I had except for a SONY TV which seemed to counter-correct it and make it watchable.

I also have 4:3 widescreen films such as The Abyss, True Lies, Snake Eyes, Hard Rain etc. that are "flagged" in my SONY Blu-ray player to expand to 16:9 and fill the whole screen giving the viewer the impression they are actually watching a 16:9 anamorphic transfer even though it's really 4:3 format and should be pillar-boxed "widescreen".

I would test other 4:3 DVDs in the same player/TV combo and check if you get the same result. If you do, then hook-up a different player to the TV and see if it changes anything.
the dvd is south Pacific 2001 with glenn close. Disney released it I believe. It was a tv movie so it was filmed in 1.33.1. I have checked all my settings on my tv and player, it's for sure not the issue. I put in 2 other full screen movies and they both have black bars on the side like they are suppose to. I also put the same dvd in another bluray player and it plays it correctly with the black bars on the side like its suppose to. It's only in my 4k player with this specific dvd that its filling the screen. It's an old dvd so maybe something in it triggers the player to fill the tv. I've never had this happen before so I'm baffled. I'm not all that familiar with letterbox and anamorphic so I'm not sure if this disc has the same issues as yours did.

Last edited by dukiejosh54; 08-15-20 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suppose it's possible that your 4K player just doesn't play 4:3 full screen material in its correct aspect ratio. Is there a specific 4:3 setting in the menu on your player?
Old 08-15-20, 07:28 PM

"I suppose it's possible that your 4K player just doesn't play 4:3 full screen material in its correct aspect ratio. Is there a specific 4:3 setting in the menu on your player?"

Yes and i have it set to original aspect ratio.
Old 08-15-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dukiejosh54
"I suppose it's possible that your 4K player just doesn't play 4:3 full screen material in its correct aspect ratio. Is there a specific 4:3 setting in the menu on your player?"

Yes and i have it set to original aspect ratio.
I don't own a 4K player to reference to but it's possible "original aspect ratio" may only be 16:9 and they phased-out 4:3 full screen as an option just as many players have phased-out RCA component/composite/S-video connections and TOS-Link/RCA audio outputs.
Old 08-16-20, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds like that disc was mistakenly flagged to zoom on 16x9 displays, as those other mentioned letterboxed discs are. Is your player a Sony? That is the only player I've seen that reads those flags.
Old 08-16-20, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Sounds like that disc was mistakenly flagged to zoom on 16x9 displays, as those other mentioned letterboxed discs are. Is your player a Sony? That is the only player I've seen that reads those flags.
It's an LG UBKM9. If I exchanged this disc for a new one would it likely fix the problem or do you think all the disc from this release will be flagged with the same mistske?
Old 08-17-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Every copy would be authored the same, there's only been a few instances where things like that were fixed in later issues. There's a computer program designed to fix things like that also but I've never figured out how to use it.
The following users liked this post:
dukiejosh54 (08-17-20)
Old 08-17-20, 01:30 PM

Every copy would be authored the same, there's only been a few instances where things like that were fixed in later issues. There's a computer program designed to fix things like that also but I've never figured out how to use it.
okay thanks, Its something I can live with, I can just use one of my other bluray players to watch it. Just annoys me because I just bought this 4k player and I hope it doesnt do it a lot.
Old 08-17-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When it comes to disc authoring/player manufacturing there should be, in a perfect world, one standard that fits all but every once in a while strange anomalies happen such as a certain player that defaults to the Spanish subtitles which then have to be turned off. The exact disc plays in another player and this doesn't occur.