Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The First Annual (?) February Romance, Music & Musicals Challenge *Discussion Thread* Feb 1-29, 2020

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The First Annual (?) February Romance, Music & Musicals Challenge *Discussion Thread* Feb 1-29, 2020

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: The First Annual (?) February Romance, Music & Musicals Challenge *Discussion Thread* Feb 1-29, 2020

I was quite surprised at my numbers, especially the musicals, a type of film I generally don't like. I'd do this one again next year, especially since I don't bother with the Academy Awards one (I like most of the AA nominated films even less than musicals).

Thanks for hosting david777.
Old 03-03-20, 07:50 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The First Annual (?) February Romance, Music & Musicals Challenge *Discussion Thread* Feb 1-29, 2020

You can count me in next year too. Thanks to david777 for running a fun challenge, even though it robs me of my idea for the upcoming MYOC.
Old 03-03-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thanks to everyone who participated in the first annual (?) Romance, Music, and Musicals Challenge! I think we got great participation for a fledgling event so we’ll see what happens next year.

I finished up with some more episodes of Modern Love, an Amazon anthology series with some different takes on romance. It’s executive produced (and occasionally written and directed) by John Carney, who did Once, Begin Again, and Sing Street, so it’s no surprise that it uses music effectively and even breaks into full musical numbers at times. And the anthology format allows them to bring in stars such as Anne Hathaway and Tina Fey.

Originally Posted by LJG765
I really enjoyed this challenge! Thanks to david777 for hosting!

While my total numbers of movies watched weren't the highest I've ever accomplished, I'm very happy with it. The majority of the films I saw were new to me watches and classics that I've had on my to see list for years. It felt good being able to check them off.

I really hope this becomes an annual event, even if it does overlap the Oscar challenge for a longer period of time next year...
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I was quite surprised at my numbers, especially the musicals, a type of film I generally don't like. I'd do this one again next year, especially since I don't bother with the Academy Awards one (I like most of the AA nominated films even less than musicals).

Thanks for hosting david777.
We’ll convert you yet!

And yeah, I watch the new nominees but don’t tend to dive deep into Oscar catalog for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
You can count me in next year too. Thanks to david777 for running a fun challenge, even though it robs me of my idea for the upcoming MYOC.
True, I’ve often used musicals as my MYOC theme, but maybe I couldn’t do that if it duplicate another challenge, though maybe not if it turns out to be a one-time thing. I love watching musicals so maybe I could narrowly tailor my MYOC theme somehow.
Old 03-03-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
We’ll convert you yet!
Don't hold your breath... I still have only a half dozen or so I rewatch with any regularity (that is, once every couple of years or so) and that list hasn't changed in over 20 years. The vast majority of those musicals I own copies of have been seen once and will likely never be watched again. One of the reasons I'm not much of a fan of Disney's animations is they're all musicals.
Old 03-03-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I enjoyed the challenge too. As with Bob, not a huge musical fan, but I do love music, and watched some good shows starring musicians. It was after the challenge, but I watched a Moody Blues concert Blu Ray that I got from Netflix. I never got around to watching it last month, but I enjoyed it.
Old 03-03-20, 04:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

It was a fun month, even though I didn’t hit nearly as many films with Jen that I thought. I did make some progress on my unwatched concert dvds though. Thanks for hosting an extra Challenge David!
This sounds to me like new blood offering to host this Challenge next year.
Old 03-03-20, 07:19 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This sounds to me like new blood offering to host this Challenge next year.
Ha, not sure my kung-fu is strong enough to host a challenge. I wouldn't even know where to begin... outside of massive copying and pasting.
Old 03-03-20, 08:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Ha, not sure my kung-fu is strong enough to host a challenge. I wouldn't even know where to begin... outside of massive copying and pasting.
That’s pretty much all it is. Except for Chad, a god among men.
The following users liked this post:
Indy24LA (03-04-20)
Old 03-03-20, 09:04 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I wish I could have participated more, but I had a lot of stuff going on last month. I hope this challenge returns next year. I love the theme.
Old 03-04-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Kinda annoyed at myself for watching a music documentary, a Hallmark romance, and two episodes of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist yesterday for zero credit.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Don't hold your breath... I still have only a half dozen or so I rewatch with any regularity (that is, once every couple of years or so) and that list hasn't changed in over 20 years. The vast majority of those musicals I own copies of have been seen once and will likely never be watched again. One of the reasons I'm not much of a fan of Disney's animations is they're all musicals.
Fair enough. At least we know we can lure you back to any potential future challenge with the Beatles.

As shadokitty notes, I really like including the concerts with this theme. That's a genre I'd like to dive deeper on.
Old 03-04-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I run two in the summer, and yep, there's some copying and pasting, but it's kind of as much or as little as you want it to be. I try to change up the check lists a bit each year, but the majority of changes are participant suggested. And once things are up and running, it doesn't take much time to manage. I do try to check in with the group, to get conversations started...not sure how successful I am, but honestly, as long as you monitor for questions or bad behavior (which I've never encountered in the many years I've been hosting), it's maybe 2-3 minutes a day or even every other day.

Originally Posted by Trevor
That’s pretty much all it is. Except for Chad, a god among men.
Exactly!

As shadokitty notes, I really like including the concerts with this theme. That's a genre I'd like to dive deeper on.
I kind of feel like that is a benefit to this challenge. That there is enough diversity that everyone should find something they could watch that qualifies. Don't like musicals? Stick with romances or concert films. Don't like romances? Well, you could watch concert films and documentaries. There's a wide selection once you start looking into it.
Old 03-04-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. At least we know we can lure you back to any potential future challenge with the Beatles.

There's not enough on The Beatles to fill the month (and you'd think otherwise*). Currently I own copies of A Hard Day's Night, Help!, The Beatles Anthology (a really, really good series), Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years (a surprisingly good documentary from Ron Howard), The Beatles Explosion (an early, mostly good, documentary), and the episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show on which they appeared.

I've purchased a few concert films. I have mostly the same problem with them as attending concerts. I've found over the decades that many artists just aren't that good live. I own a couple of concert films from Zeppelin - they're OK but I'd rather listen to the albums where they display superior playing ability (I'm not that fond of their live albums either) - and one from Yes - uniformly bad in concert (I've seen them live and thought the same thing but purchased the disc just to see if they all were like that - they are - I've always though "Yessongs" - their live album - is horrible). Frankly, the performances on the "Midnight Special" programs and the Woodstock performances are some of the best ones, and Woodstock has a few that are a bit iffy.

*OK... looking up a couple of titles on Amazon I find an amazing number of "documentaries" about the group. Don't now how good these might be and I've never heard of any of them. Still, there are far more than I expected to find.