Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2020 Horror Challenge

Old 11-09-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2020 Horror Challenge

Fire away.

Suggestions include...

For the first time we have two reoccurring themes on the same day (Werewolves and Halloween-themed). Halloween 2020's on a Saturday, with a rare full moon, and the end of Daylight Saving Time, so an extra hour to enjoy.
Spoiler:
The moon being full on Halloween happens on an average of every 18 to 19 years so it is quit a rare event happening only 4 or 5 times in a century. The last time the moon was full on Halloween was October 31st, 2001. The next Halloween full moon will occur in 2020.

A theme day with no limit on wild cards.

A Lin Shaye entry.

Last edited by Chad; 11-10-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2020 Horror Challenge

Are there any Werewolf movies that take place on Halloween?
Old 11-09-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Are there any Werewolf movies that take place on Halloween?
Ginger Snaps, Silver Bullet, My Mom's a Werewolf, and that one story from Trick 'r Treat are all that come to mind.
Old 11-10-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

How 'bout adding "Listen to a horror movie soundtrack" to the list of optional items at the end of the Checklist?
Old 11-10-19, 11:03 AM

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

A movie and it’s remake back to back on the same day.

Last edited by Toddarino; 11-10-19 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Wasn't a big fan of the 50 Horror Movies You Have Never Seen list, didn't seem like a good representation of unknown horror movies, many felt like very mainstream titles.
Old 11-10-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
How 'bout adding "Listen to a horror movie soundtrack" to the list of optional items at the end of the Checklist?
Originally Posted by Toddarino
A movie and it’s remake back to back on the same day.

Ooooh. I like these.
Old 11-13-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Wasn't a big fan of the 50 Horror Movies You Have Never Seen list, didn't seem like a good representation of unknown horror movies, many felt like very mainstream titles.
I would say, most people here have seen most.
Old 11-13-19, 06:53 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

We'll need to have a Political Theme Day with the elections coming in Nov 2020.

Also with the year being 2020, maybe a Theme Day about Eyes or Eyeglasses.
Old 11-14-19, 04:15 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

How important is 'format' on the checklist? It might be good to remove format because anyone who watches 100 movies is likely to watch at least 3 formats anyway.

Over the past 15+ years since the challenge started physical media is less common so watching a VHS might give epic bragging rights but seems less likely. Also there is some question if different streaming qualities might count (?).

With the 2019 challenge I watched 206 movies on digital, 3 theatrical, and 1 blu-ray.
Old 11-15-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
How important is 'format' on the checklist? It might be good to remove format because anyone who watches 100 movies is likely to watch at least 3 formats anyway.

Over the past 15+ years since the challenge started physical media is less common so watching a VHS might give epic bragging rights but seems less likely. Also there is some question if different streaming qualities might count (?).

With the 2019 challenge I watched 206 movies on digital, 3 theatrical, and 1 blu-ray.
Agreed... By the time i have four movies in, I usually have three formats. Maybe, piggybacking off your thought, have a checklist item for watch a movie on a dead format... VHS, Laser Disc, HD-DVD, etc etc
Old 11-16-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am a fan of format listing, there is a big difference to the experience when watching something on VHS to UMD, it says a little something about your viewing experience. It is also an interesting barometer as to how in touch our out of touch you are with the community. Undeadcow above watching 98% streaming vs me watching 18% streaming.
Old 11-17-19, 07:01 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I am a fan of format listing, there is a big difference to the experience when watching something on VHS to UMD, it says a little something about your viewing experience. It is also an interesting barometer as to how in touch our out of touch you are with the community. Undeadcow above watching 98% streaming vs me watching 18% streaming.
I think we're on the same page. It's true most people don't watch primarily streaming, but that's beside the point - which is that more than ever few to no people are watching anything other than mainstream no brainer formats like DVD, blu-ray, or theatrical to the point that it's perhaps irrelevent to keep a category for three different types of media. That checklist item should be increased, changed to 'watch a movie in a dead media format,' or removed because otherwise it's no effort filler. As it is now it doesn't really encourage any varied in viewing experience because three formats is a given.

When I started the challenge I could go rent a VHS tape at one of the holdout video rental places near me; now that's impossible. I did stream a VHS rip on YouTube (Night Vision 1987, don't do it) but even thought the quality and source is the same as tape I suppose it's a digital format the same as Gremlins in 4K.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-17-19 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-17-19, 08:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

In addition to the 25th-, 50th-, and 75th-anniversary films in the "Chronological" category, we could actually add a 100th-anniversary film to the mix next year, as there are at least five horror films from 1920 readily available for viewing (i.e., on YouTube) -- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, and Barrymore's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde chief among them.

While we're at it, we could have a theme night for split personalities, a la Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or even just a night for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-based films, such as Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde, Daughter of Dr. Jekyll, I, Monster, etc. Have we had one of those before?
Old 07-02-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-challenge prep update! I'm a little behind as usual, although I do anticipate having it up maybe a week or so earlier than the last one, which was already the earliest posted to date. Starting it too early would be a pointless endeavor considering most don't show up until later anyway. And yes, there is a corona-related theme suggestion already that's pretty extensive.

Also wanna start the challenge itself a week or two earlier this year? There's been some talk in last year's thread, and it already happened back in April with the Exploitation challenge. Why the hell not considering the circumstances? I'm up for it if everyone else is. My only suggestion is if we do go that route to make those days a free-for-all with no themes/subsets. Too much extra workload involved.

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Also wanna start the challenge itself a week or two earlier this year? There's been some talk in last year's thread, and it already happened back in April with the Exploitation challenge. Why the hell not considering the circumstances? I'm up for it if everyone else is. My only suggestion is if we do go that route to make those days a free-for-all with no themes/subsets. Too much extra workload involved.
A month, a month early.

Make an optional checklist check for put up halloween decorations. Liked the Horror movie soundtrack idea above.

Also did anyone else listen to John Carpenters Lost Themes?! I just found out about this and it is awesome.
Old 07-03-20, 10:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I’m actually against starting it early, fwiw, unless it is Criterion only for the September Challenge.
Old 07-05-20, 01:30 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm ok with starting early, though I would probably separate my stats between September and October. Or maybe I'd only watch light horror (thrillers and the like) before October which might be a fun challenge in itself.
Old 07-06-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

This is where Chad comes in and says, 'We can do anything we want'. I've started to get some organization going this year, so I'm going to be ready. In addition, I'm doing the yearly Shudder, and really liking it.
Old 07-06-20, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We can do anything we want because we're the OG challenge and rules don't apply to us ...is what I'd normally say. But this issue requires a good dose of feedback and a specific answer of *when*. So I'm going to resort to doing something I haven't done in at least a decade, and that only the first global pandemic in 100 years could bring about: a poll. I'll post it when I put up the pre-challenge thread, either in the actual thread or possibly on its own.
Old 07-07-20, 10:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

We can do anything we want because we're the OG challenge and rules don't apply to us ...is what I'd normally say. But this issue requires a good dose of feedback and a specific answer of *when*. So I'm going to resort to doing something I haven't done in at least a decade, and that only the first global pandemic in 100 years could bring about: a poll. I'll post it when I put up the pre-challenge thread, either in the actual thread or possibly on its own.
A poll is obviously going to overwhelmingly be for starting it as early as you make an option. So don’t use those results to justify whatever you want to do.

My thoughts are that each individual is always able to do the Horror Challenge as much as they want, year round even. But even better would be for those individuals to do so within the confines of the 12 existing DVDTalk Challenges. One could easily watch 100+ horror movies a month but have them also count in Criterion, Comedy, Sci-Fi, etc.

There is a long history here of the month-long Horror Challenge, with records and stats and compiled lists. Adding the dusk to dawn hours, and the every 7 years Friday the 13th is one thing, but making an entire extra week or month “official” would tarnish the legacy imho.

If we do add extra time, I’d suggest making it for discussions and list making and total fun, but not counting the viewings for stats, or total views. Only October should count for any numbering or checklist or themes or stats.
The following users liked this post:
Darkgod (07-15-20)
Old 07-07-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't see the point of starting early. With everything going on it seems like people would have more time to stay at home and watch movies.
Old 07-08-20, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-challenge prep update! I'm a little behind as usual, although I do anticipate having it up maybe a week or so earlier than the last one, which was already the earliest posted to date. Starting it too early would be a pointless endeavor considering most don't show up until later anyway. And yes, there is a corona-related theme suggestion already that's pretty extensive.
So I didn't realize the irony of that post when I initially posted it. Turns out that was posted exactly one year to the day last year's pre-challenge thread went up, so it's not going up a week early after all. I guess chalk it up to this topsy-turvy year we've had. Anyway, the good news is it'll only be a week late because the thread's going up sometime tomorrow night (7/9). There's also already an abundance of theme suggestions as I just added more than a few over the last few weeks, which means voting can still kick off earlier than last year despite the later start. Please get to preparing any suggestions if you got 'em.

Old 07-09-20, 02:27 AM

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

A month, a month early.

Make an optional checklist check for put up halloween decorations. Liked the Horror movie soundtrack idea above.

Also did anyone else listen to John Carpenters Lost Themes?! I just found out about this and it is awesome.
Lost Themes II and the Anthology are both really good too. His band is really solid. They were great live. He also just released a new ep called Skeleton.
Old 07-09-20, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the November 2019 update strikes again. Besides having to fix broken formatting I'm getting 60 image limit messages. That sure used to be considerably higher. Give me another day or so to figure out this mess. Oy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.