Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ninth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2019

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Ninth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2019

Old 11-12-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: The Ninth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2019

Happy anniversary, Trevor! Maybe the daily theme for the 11th should be wedding comedies.

Watched the DCOM Even Stevens Movie on Disney+ for today’s theme.
Old 11-13-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Ninth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2019

Rewatched 10 Things I Hate About You on Disney+. I particularly love Julia Stiles in it, but the whole cast is great.
Old 11-13-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Rewatched 10 Things I Hate About You on Disney+. I particularly love Julia Stiles in it, but the whole cast is great.
I signed up for it today. Looking forward to some good movies and tv shows.
Old 11-14-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to explore more of the Disney+ app today, and discovered a Disney by the Decades section. I looked at some of the early decades and saw many old Disney shorts. I just watched a Donald Duck from the 40s.
Old 11-14-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I was thinking of doing this too. I'm definitely going to check out their holiday offerings for the Holiday Challenge.
Old 11-14-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I was thinking of doing this too. I'm definitely going to check out their holiday offerings for the Holiday Challenge.
I started prospecting in advance, and they have a new Anna Kendrick holiday movie and a lot of animated stuff.
Old 11-14-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While browsing the Disney + app after the update today, I discovered that The Simpsons is also on there.
Old 11-14-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While browsing the Disney + app after the update today, I discovered that The Simpsons is also on there.
Reports are all seasons have been modified for WS.
Old 11-15-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched Klaus (2019) today and I do believe we have a new holiday perennial on our hands.
Old 11-16-19, 09:51 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Happy (late) anniversary, Trevor. I scrolled around Disney + and can't wait to watch The Snowball Express. I remember watching this on the last day of elementary school for 4th or 5th grade and haven't seen it since.
Old 11-16-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Watched Klaus (2019) today and I do believe we have a new holiday perennial on our hands.
Added to watchlist

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Reports are all seasons have been modified for WS.
Now they’ve announced an OAR option will be available in early 2020.
Old 11-16-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought I had seen all the Charlie Chan movies, but I was wrong. I was a minute or so into Castle in the Desert (1942) and I realized that I didn't recognize anything and that I had no idea where the movie was going (except in a general Charlie Chan movie kind of way). This was made when 20th Century Fox still owned the series and you can see the money on the screen, even if it was still low budget by Fox's standards. It was a lot of fun watching a 'fresh' Charlie Chan mystery.
Old 11-16-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've mostly been trying to keep up with NaNoWriMo, but with the launch of Disney+, I've found myself revisiting the Muppets. I made The Muppet Movie my first Disney+ streaming selection, followed by The Great Muppet Caper. Disney doesn't own the rights to The Muppets Take Manhattan or Muppets From Space, but Sony issued a 2-fer DVD of those once upon a time and my local library had that, so I checked it out to plug the holes. (Space is cropped, but I guess I'll live.) I know I saw all of them at least once back in my childhood, but I had forgotten most of what's actually in them so it's as close to "seeing them again for the first time" as it gets.

What stood out to me about The Muppet Movie was how patient it was, trusting its audience to remain invested without being blitzed by frenetic energy every ninety seconds. A good deal of the movie is just Kermit and Fozzie in a car! "Rainbow Connection" is a beautiful song, but it's not especially lively--certainly not the solo version by Kermit that opens the movie. Most of the rest of the songs are mid-range, or even slow, with the obvious exception of anything performed by Electric Mayhem. It's almost surreal that American kids were once treated with this much respect and trust by movie makers, who now insist they have the attention span of drunken goldfish.

The Great Muppet Caper has one of my favorite Muppet gags. It's early, when Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo check in to "The Happiness Hotel". Kermit asks (re: Animal), "What's wrong with the drummer? He looks a little crazed." Zoot answers, "Oh, he's just upset that he missed the Rembrandt exhibit at The National Gallery." Animal angrily corrects Zoot, shouting, "RENOIR!" I adore that. It's the perfect Muppets joke. Who among their target audience would even know who Renoir was, and who among those who do know who Renoir was would ever think Animal would be a fan of his work?

Lastly, I'd forgotten entirely that The Muppet Babies debuted in a sequence in The Muppets Take Manhattan. It did take me out of the movie somewhat, as I had the theme song from that show stuck in my head periodically the rest of the time. It's not the funniest of the first three Muppets pictures, but I think Manhattan might be the most solid, and possibly my favorite, although I really got a kick out of Caper, too.

Next is The Muppet Christmas Carol, which I would ordinarily hold off on until Christmas Eve for my annual Christmas Carol adaptation marathon, but I'm gonna go ahead and watch it as part of my Muppet Movie Revisitation.
Old 11-16-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Next is The Muppet Christmas Carol, which I would ordinarily hold off on until Christmas Eve for my annual Christmas Carol adaptation marathon, but I'm gonna go ahead and watch it as part of my Muppet Movie Revisitation.
You could hold off a week or so and get double credit for the holiday challenge... I think out of all the movies, Christmas Carol is my favorite Muppet's movie.

I've been holding off on getting a Disney+ subscription as I've been busy and sick, then sick and busy the last few weeks with no time or energy to delve into it but it seems like everyone I know has a subscription and I'm kind of dying to see what it's like...I may just have to bow down to the inevitable and get a subscription sooner rather than later!
Old 11-17-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
You could hold off a week or so and get double credit for the holiday challenge... I think out of all the movies, Christmas Carol is my favorite Muppet's movie.

I've been holding off on getting a Disney+ subscription as I've been busy and sick, then sick and busy the last few weeks with no time or energy to delve into it but it seems like everyone I know has a subscription and I'm kind of dying to see what it's like...I may just have to bow down to the inevitable and get a subscription sooner rather than later!
Eh, I went ahead and streamed it. It's almost startling to view it in the context of the Muppet feature filmography, because it's played so straight and relegates most of the recognizable Muppets to bit parts. It's odder yet in that only Rizzo the Rat isn't in character, though he calls attention to the fact Gonzo is in character as Charles Dickens. Otherwise, nobody is "themselves". It works surprisingly well, but it's still a bit peculiar. Kinda like seeing one of your friends working at a job for the first time.

As for Disney+, I'm really digging it so far. My only complaint is that the ESPN+ service is not very well clarified upfront and I found out after being excited about watching Mexican League baseball that I don't get that unless I have a cable subscription. Disney+ itself, though, has been more or less what I'd hoped it would be when it was originally announced. Between it and the Criterion Channel, I feel like I'm pretty well covered for quite some time!
Old 11-17-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It would seem that, no matter how old I get, I will always love The Mighty Ducks trilogy.
Old 11-18-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Worth noting if you're looking for something new to watch: Free Redbox code good for today only -- REDBOX17

I reserved a BD online using it. When I pick it up, I plan to see if the code can be used again with a different card.
Old 11-18-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Prize update!

Three winners will receive their choice of $20 worth of items from Hamilton Book. Thanks again to Hamilton and Golden Wheels for sponsoring the challenge!

To be eligible (US addresses only):

-Have a list in the list thread with at least one item in it = one prize entry
-Watch and list an item that also counts for the Holiday Challenge (begins 11/22) = one prize entry (please note this in your comedy list so I don't have to cross-check )

The winners will be randomly selected from all the prize entries after the Comedy Challenge ends.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the challenge thus far!
Old 11-18-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

For this challenge I listened to the Criterion commentary for This is Spinal Tap. While listening to the actors in character is fun for the MGM release I enjoyed hearing the behind the scenes stuff too. I did not know about the 20 minute demo version which seemed like a dress rehearsal for the '84 movie.

"And in here, there's a little guy, look! So, it's a complete catastrophe!"
Old 11-18-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Spinal Tap is like the gift that keeps on giving. Derek Smalls has a recent album out so he's being doing some press (in character).
Old 11-18-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished Muppet Treasure Island. It was the first, and as I realize now, the only, Muppet movie I've seen in a theater. (I saw it twice, though!) It follows The Muppet Christmas Carol tonally, with the human cast playing it straight, and the Muppets largely in character as though they were just actors themselves. It works well in both films. This one doesn't have the same heart as Carol, but it's chock full of swashbuckling action and adventure. Plus, it has one of my all time favorite bits of Muppet dialogue:

JIM HAWKINS: I hate my life.
RIZZO THE RAT: I hate your life, too.
Old 11-19-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Just finished Muppet Treasure Island. It was the first, and as I realize now, the only, Muppet movie I've seen in a theater. (I saw it twice, though!) It follows The Muppet Christmas Carol tonally, with the human cast playing it straight, and the Muppets largely in character as though they were just actors themselves. It works well in both films. This one doesn't have the same heart as Carol, but it's chock full of swashbuckling action and adventure. Plus, it has one of my all time favorite bits of Muppet dialogue:

JIM HAWKINS: I hate my life.
RIZZO THE RAT: I hate your life, too.
I like that one too. Are you going on to watch The Muppets Wizard of Oz?

I re-watched The Court Jester the other night. Still love the "vessel with the pestle" dialogue!
Old 11-19-19, 08:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just watched Booksmart and it's by far the funniest movie of the challenge.
Old 11-20-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

They've removed the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting options" editor. Apparently for good. This move absolutely breaks many things about the challenges, especially the lists as you're left with the "Basic editor - a simple text box" and the "Enhanced Interface - Full CKE editing." The "Basic editor" is very basic. You'd better know all the codes and manually put them in yourself or be ready to constantly switch to "Source" to fix things that the "Full CKE" editor breaks.

You can read the excuse given here.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-20-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-21-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
I like that one too. Are you going on to watch The Muppets Wizard of Oz?
Alas, no, for two reasons. One is that it's not on Disney+ so I'd have to make arrangements to get hold of it. The other is that I'm focused solely on their feature filmography, rather than their TV or Direct to Video content.

To that end, I've gotten to Muppets from Space and The Muppets. From Space doesn't work for me. It feels better suited for a live action Looney Tunes movie than to the Muppets. There are almost no musical numbers, the jokes are duds, and the whole thing with the government space monitoring agency just feels out of place altogether in the Muppets' world. For this to be about Gonzo finally learning what manner of being he is, there's surprisingly little emotional depth. He treats it more like a mystery he's excited to solve than a significant life experience.

The 2011 continuation/reboot/whatever movie is considerably more satisfying. It feels like a Muppet movie, for one thing, complete with lots of musical sequences and an emphasis on the sincerity and heart that makes the Muppets what they are. But it also at times feels like fanfic, where Jason Segel made his own new character (and hence, himself by proxy) the lead and hero. There are also some frustrating mixed messages about plot points because the movie tries to have it both ways about a lot of things. People are made to make difficult choices, only for them to be let off the hook and then allowed to do the thing they just chose to sacrifice. And it not only has a deus ex machina; that deus ex machina is in a window during the end credits. Still, it felt more or less right and I'm glad it was made and resurrected the Muppets.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.