Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-21-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Ran through a couple of mummy movies today. The mummy's Curse and The mummy's Ghost. Both were not bad.
I must say that I was inspired to watch these by Numbercrunch. As he gave good reviews so I thought that I'd try them out.
I'm glad that I did.
Old 10-21-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Since the Universal Monsters Legacy sets were on sale for $14.99, I bought the Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Invisible Man sets to complete my collection. I never had these two sets on DVD so I've not seen the sequels more than once. I'm not track to actually watch 100 entries this year (my first challenge to do so), especially if I delve into my new sets.
Since these are on sale I may pick up a few of them If I'm able to find them. Going to my local store.
I'd be interested in Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Wolfman. The others I already have.
Old 10-21-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Since these are on sale I may pick up a few of them If I'm able to find them. Going to my local store.
I'd be interested in Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Wolfman. The others I already have.
Both are very good. I have those, as well as Frankenstein and Dracula. I also have the Blu Ray set of the first movies in each series.
Old 10-21-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Speaking of Universal sets, the 30-film collection is currently $69.99, which is the same price point it hit around this time last year:

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-21-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So my neighbor across the street has their *Christmas* lights up. Earlier I saw them put up what I assumed were those orange Halloween lights that are all the rage these days, but nope. They're Christmas colors, and they're currently turned on. What's even stranger is they also have three plastic LED jack-o-lanterns with blinking lights on their porch. Guess they're covering both bases.
Old 10-21-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Not having my finest year in terms of quantity, but so far everything has been a first-time viewing for me. I guess I'll shoot to keep that going.
I'm going somewhat in the opposite direction, or at least trying to. My usual obsession with first time views is still taking hold of me this year, but I have been really enjoying revisiting some classics. So far it's been a blast rewatching the Evil Dead trilogy, Rec films, some Hammer favorites, and a few others.

Tonight it's the very underrated From Beyond after hearing it getting some love recently on the Pure Cinema podcast (or Just the Discs, can't remember). I think I enjoy that one just as much as Re-Animator, and it's really interesting seeing Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton essentially switch roles.
Old 10-21-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm entering the point in the challenge where I look at my unwatched pile and shake my head about how I'll never get around to seeing all the ones I puilled, some on their third year in queue.

I would count The Cell.
Originally Posted by Chad
So my neighbor across the street has their *Christmas* lights up...
I noticed that my neighbors also have their Christmas lights up; which is bogus. We're one of the few people around here to decorate for Halloween so I was momentarily excited to see lights only to notice the red and green.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-22-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 07:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Ran through a couple of mummy movies today. The mummy's Curse and The mummy's Ghost. Both were not bad.
I must say that I was inspired to watch these by Numbercrunch. As he gave good reviews so I thought that I'd try them out.
I'm glad that I did.
Thanks Joe.
Old 10-22-19, 07:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched The Wolf Man, for the second time ever, last night. I enjoyed it more this time than I did the first time. Maybe because it's been so long since I originally watched it and I just didn't notice small details that I noticed this time. It was very well done and I'll probably watch it every year now that I've added it to my collection.
Old 10-22-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Tonight it's the very underrated From Beyond after hearing it getting some love recently on the Pure Cinema podcast (or Just the Discs, can't remember). I think I enjoy that one just as much as Re-Animator, and it's really interesting seeing Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton essentially switch roles.
I actually enjoy From Beyond more than Re-Animator. Both are fun but there is something about From Beyond that more it more re-watchable.

I watched 31 for the first time last night and what a miserable experience. I believe Rob Zombie is a talented director but he has to somehow get beyond his one-note white trash fetish. The dialogue he writes is fine for one or two movies but it becomes more and more of a parody of itself as he uses it in everything. It was kind of funny for his first couple of movies but now it is just annoying. And he has not made a sympathetic main character since his first movie House Of 1000 Corpses other than maybe Danielle Harris in his Halloween films. Doesn't he realize that you need to like the main characters so you can at least root for them to win? Instead he writes all his stuff to make you hate everyone.

I am going to check out 3 From Hell eventually but I am in no hurry.
Old 10-22-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

This news might be a little late but a bunch of Scream Factory stuff just went OOP:

Spoiler:

Scream Factory
The Amityville Horror Trilogy
Blacula / Scream Blacula Scream
Carrie (2002) / Rage: Carrie 2
Dead Of Winter
Destroyer / Edge Of Sanity
Disturbing Behavior
Empire Of The Ants / Jaws Of Satan
The Food Of The Gods / Frogs
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (Collector's Edition)
Ghost Town
Ghoulies / Ghoulies II
Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf
I, Madman
The Incredible Melting Man
Invaders From Mars
Leviathan
New Year's Evil
Robot Jox
Scarecrows
Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (Collector's Edition)
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (Collector's Edition)
Stigmata
Swamp Thing
Tentacles / Reptilicus
Troll / Troll 2
Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits
The Vincent Price Collection II
Without Warning

Shout Factory
Bagdad Cafe (DVD)
Breathless
Day Of The Outlaw (DVD)
Doc (DVD)
Easy Money / Men At Work
Escape From Grizzly Mountain (DVD)
Hackers (20th Anniversary Edition)
The Hills Run Red / Apache (DVD)
The Pope Of Greenwich Village / Desperate Hours
Science Fiction Theatre: The Complete Series (DVD)
The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary)
War Films Triple Feature (Attack / Attack On The Iron Coast / Beach Red) (DVD)

Also how the hell do I always get sick in the last 3rd of the challenge, I think this is the 3rd year in a row!
Old 10-22-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Re: Scream Factory OOP

The only one I was remotely interested in getting (that I don't already own) was the Amityville set and I've been passing on it all theses years so far.

Oh well. I'm sure SF will re-release it soon as a steelbook with a 4K scan of the first film.
Old 10-22-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This news might be a little late but a bunch of Scream Factory stuff just went OOP:

Spoiler:

Scream Factory
The Amityville Horror Trilogy
Blacula / Scream Blacula Scream
Carrie (2002) / Rage: Carrie 2
Dead Of Winter
Destroyer / Edge Of Sanity
Disturbing Behavior
Empire Of The Ants / Jaws Of Satan
The Food Of The Gods / Frogs
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (Collector's Edition)
Ghost Town
Ghoulies / Ghoulies II
Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf
I, Madman
The Incredible Melting Man
Invaders From Mars
Leviathan
New Year's Evil
Robot Jox
Scarecrows
Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (Collector's Edition)
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (Collector's Edition)
Stigmata
Swamp Thing
Tentacles / Reptilicus
Troll / Troll 2
Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits
The Vincent Price Collection II
Without Warning

Shout Factory
Bagdad Cafe (DVD)
Breathless
Day Of The Outlaw (DVD)
Doc (DVD)
Easy Money / Men At Work
Escape From Grizzly Mountain (DVD)
Hackers (20th Anniversary Edition)
The Hills Run Red / Apache (DVD)
The Pope Of Greenwich Village / Desperate Hours
Science Fiction Theatre: The Complete Series (DVD)
The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary)
War Films Triple Feature (Attack / Attack On The Iron Coast / Beach Red) (DVD)

Also how the hell do I always get sick in the last 3rd of the challenge, I think this is the 3rd year in a row!
Maybe now they'll re-release Swamp Thing with the proper "International" version everyone really wants...
Old 10-22-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Maybe now they'll re-release Swamp Thing with the proper "International" version everyone really wants...
Is that the one with boobies?
Old 10-22-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Man the CGI on Crocodile (2000) sure did suck. I assumed it was filmed in the 80s, and this was one of those early CGI movies, but NO!
Old 10-22-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watched 31 for the first time last night and what a miserable experience. I believe Rob Zombie is a talented director but he has to somehow get beyond his one-note white trash fetish. The dialogue he writes is fine for one or two movies but it becomes more and more of a parody of itself as he uses it in everything. It was kind of funny for his first couple of movies but now it is just annoying. And he has not made a sympathetic main character since his first movie House Of 1000 Corpses other than maybe Danielle Harris in his Halloween films. Doesn't he realize that you need to like the main characters so you can at least root for them to win? Instead he writes all his stuff to make you hate everyone.
31 has been in my Amazon Prime queue for a while, but I keep putting it off. It scares me when I keep hearing that even people who like Rob Zombie movies say it's terrible. There are still so many things I want to watch that I think I'll like that it's hard to justify wasting time on things I most likely won't like.

Does anyone know of new streaming horror (like on Netflix) to keep an eye out for? I've cleared out my queue for horror movies, but may have missed something added since the month began (I have seen newer horror In the Tall Grass and The Perfection). Sometimes really good horror premieres closer to Halloween.
Old 10-22-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Is that the one with boobies?
That would be it...
Old 10-22-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
31 has been in my Amazon Prime queue for a while, but I keep putting it off. It scares me when I keep hearing that even people who like Rob Zombie movies say it's terrible. There are still so many things I want to watch that I think I'll like that it's hard to justify wasting time on things I most likely won't like.

Does anyone know of new streaming horror (like on Netflix) to keep an eye out for? I've cleared out my queue for horror movies, but may have missed something added since the month began (I have seen newer horror In the Tall Grass and The Perfection). Sometimes really good horror premieres closer to Halloween.
Stephanie was pretty memorable from last years challenge.

I'm going to watch 31 on my bus ride home today. I've only seen House of 1000 Corpses, so will it be beneficial to watch them in sequence?
Old 10-22-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

My package arrived today. Thanks, Wheels and congrats to Trevor!

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Since the Universal Monsters Legacy sets were on sale for $14.99, I bought the Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Invisible Man sets to complete my collection. I never had these two sets on DVD so I've not seen the sequels more than once. I'm not track to actually watch 100 entries this year (my first challenge to do so), especially if I delve into my new sets.
I bought the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets last month. Replaced them with my previous (Old) Legacy sets for the Gift Set with busts. Not only is it cool that the new covers fit perfectly on the sides & back of the big box, but I'm glad that I'm no longer subjected to the Van Helsing tie-in that set was originally promoting

I am going to check out 3 From Hell eventually but I am in no hurry.
Feel free to wait longer. This one's going to make it into my Annual Awards at the end of the month, but not for anything positive.
Old 10-22-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Via HBO, VUDU free, and Netflix, I watched the original Cabin Fever, the sequel, and the 2016 remake. The first was a good B-grade flick, while the remake was so similar it was almost unnecessary. There were a few small changes I liked, though (
Spoiler:
Karen responding to the intimate contact rather than getting creepily felt up, Marcy wandering outside from the bathtub naked instead of stopping to put on a robe
). The sequel was nearly unwatchable.
Old 10-22-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Stephanie was pretty memorable from last years challenge.

I'm going to watch 31 on my bus ride home today. I've only seen House of 1000 Corpses, so will it be beneficial to watch them in sequence?
Neither are related so it doesn't matter the order. But I would watch House of 1000 Corpses a 1000 times before I watch 31 again. So I recommend Corpses. It is my favorite of all of Rob Zombie's films. Basically an updated Texas Chainsaw Massacre but with some humor and more gore. He went down in quality ever film after (and yes....I am include The Devil's Rejects in that group).

Originally Posted by davidh777
Via HBO, VUDU free, and Netflix, I watched the original Cabin Fever, the sequel, and the 2016 remake. The first was a good B-grade flick, while the remake was so similar it was almost unnecessary. There were a few small changes I liked, though (
Spoiler:
Karen responding to the intimate contact rather than getting creepily felt up, Marcy wandering outside from the bathtub naked instead of stopping to put on a robe
). The sequel was nearly unwatchable.
Hate to tell you this but you missed Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero. Not sure whether to say you are welcome or I am sorry.

I seem to remember Cabin Fever 2 being half-way decent. Not great but watchable. But it has been awhile since I saw it.

I agree with you that the remake is one of the most unnecessary remakes ever done. And it removes everything good about the original. I adore the first one.

Old 10-22-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

For today's theme I watched the 1979 mutant bear epic Prophecy. 40 years later, it holds up pretty well, despite a few glaring errors--Maine First Nations folks lived in wigwams, not teepees ,and a physician trotting out the long discredited "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" to explain why the mutant bear looks like it does is ridiculous. I miss the commitment to progress that was a hallmark of the 1970s-- to hear a woman's right to choose, environmental protections, and Indigenous Americans' rights discussed seriously seems jarringly at odds with America 2019. It's also telling of the 1970s that Robert Foxworth as the hero fails to listen to his wife and talks down to her throughout the movie.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-22-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Hate to tell you this but you missed Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero. Not sure whether to say you are welcome or I am sorry.

I seem to remember Cabin Fever 2 being half-way decent. Not great but watchable. But it has been awhile since I saw it.

I agree with you that the remake is one of the most unnecessary remakes ever done. And it removes everything good about the original. I adore the first one.
I was actually going to watch #3 because it had a VUDU free tag on it, but it turned out to be pay-only. It must have been an archived tag that hadn’t fallen off yet. I definitely didn’t want to pay to watch it.
Old 10-22-19, 03:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

I was actually going to watch #3 because it had a VUDU free tag on it, but it turned out to be pay-only. It must have been an archived tag that hadn’t fallen off yet. I definitely didn’t want to pay to watch it.
It’s free on Hoopla and Tubi. You’re welcome?
Old 10-22-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Man the CGI on Crocodile (2000) sure did suck. I assumed it was filmed in the 80s, and this was one of those early CGI movies, but NO!
That was a low point in Tobe Hooper's career.

I did a Jawsploitation/Animals Attack double feature with Crawl and Killer Crocodile yesterday. Should've switched the order because the slow pacing of KC was almost unbearable after catching the mile-a-minute action of Crawl, which was a blast.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's probably not happening, especially after the MGM DVD debacle where they mistakenly included it with the PG rating. Also Adrienne Barbeau's contract stated that her lengthy nude bathing scene can't be included on any US release. I finally broke down and bought the German DigiBook release with that cut. It's probably not comparable to the Scream Factory transfer, but I'm happy with it. Maybe Arrow could get the rights in the UK?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.