Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-15-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Well, this is unexpected, but very much appreciated...

Welcome aboard in their first year of sponsorship, DVD Talk / Internet Brands

They're (Joel Morris) assembling a mystery box of films from their "archives" (unreviewed pool) to give away.

Prize details coming soon.

Old 10-15-19, 07:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

any recommendations for a recent horror movie heavy on the splatter & gore ?
Old 10-15-19, 07:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I just finished watching 3 From Hell. I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. I was a little let down by 31 so I had high hopes for this sequel. It was every thing I expected and more. If you like House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects then you'll definitely enjoy this movie and getting to see the Firefly family again.

Spoiler:

The Firefly family is finally back together and what do you expect besides mayhem and bloodshed?
Old 10-15-19, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
any recommendations for a recent horror movie heavy on the splatter & gore ?
Anything by Rob Zombie will give you splatter and gore. 31 and The Lords of Salem are my my least favorite but I definitely recommend any of his other movies. You might want to watch 31 and The Lords of Salem just to see if you like them. Also, most of the Saw movies have quite a bit of gore. Not so much the first one, but all of the others get pretty gory.
Old 10-15-19, 09:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Feel like I’m doing nothing but watching horror, yet struggling to maintain a pace for 100. How the heck did I ever do 200 in a month, let alone 300? Must be getting old.
Old 10-15-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

For today's theme, I revisited Man Bites Dog. I haven't seen that film in a LONG time. In many ways, it feels even more relevant today, except now a nut job doesn't need a film crew to follow him around. Interesting film, still shocks at times, though more for its detachment than gore. It's one of those films that makes you laugh but then makes you feel really guilty for it later.

Originally Posted by lrend
I just finished watching 3 From Hell. I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. I was a little let down by 31 so I had high hopes for this sequel. It was every thing I expected and more. If you like House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects then you'll definitely enjoy this movie and getting to see the Firefly family again.

Spoiler:

The Firefly family is finally back together and what do you expect besides mayhem and bloodshed?
Thanks for the warning. I know I won't like 3 From Hell, but I'm sure at some point I'll make myself watch it and hate myself for it. I have yet to see 31, so maybe I've learned my lesson.
Old 10-15-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And the winner of the first trivia question is...

Mondo Kane

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Instead of giving the top 3 answers, here's every answer.

Spoiler:
Halloween II
Halloween
Escape from New York

Phantom Of Death (1988)
Fatal Frames (1996)
Escape From New York (1981)

Prince of Darkness
Death Line
Wake in Fright

The Great Escape
Eye of the Devil
You Only Live Twice

Halloween II
The Fiendish Ghouls (aka The Flesh and The Fiends)
Prince of Darkness

Halloween
Halloween II
The Passover Plot

Halloween
Escape From New York
Prince of Darkness

Halloween
Halloween 2
Land Of The Minotaur

Halloween
The Great Escape
Escape From New York

The Flesh And The Fiends (1960)
You Only Live Twice (1967)
Halloween (1978)

Escape from New York
Halloween
Halloween 4

Prince of Darkness
Wake in Fright
Dracula

Halloween
Prince Of Darkness
Cul-de-sac

Halloween
Halloween II
Phenomena

Halloween (1978)
Fantastic Voyage
Escape from New York

I'm Coming
to Collect Your
Soul, Mortal!

Fantastic Voyage
The Great Escape
The Eagle Has Landed

Halloween
Escape from New York
The Great Escape

Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Halloween
Escape From New York
You Only Live Twice

Halloween
You Only Live Twice
Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff

Halloween
Raw Meat
Escape to Witch Mountain

Halloween
Halloween II
Escape from New York

halloween 1978
the great escape
the eagle has landed

Halloween
Phenomena
The Great Escape

Escape from New York
You Only Live Twice
Halloween

The Hallelujah Trail
Escape from New York
Halloween

Halloween
Halloween II
Phenomena

Halloween
Phenomena
Paganini Horror

Phenomena
Halloween
The Great Escape

Halloween
Halloween 2
Shadows and Fog

Halloween
Prince of Darkness
Dracula '79

Halloween
Prince of Darkness
Phenomena
The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water

Halloween
Warrior of the Lost World
Escape from New York

Halloween
Halloween II
Prince of Darkness

Prince of Darkness
Wake in Fright
Halloween

Halloween
Halloween 2
Escape from New York

Halloween
Halloween II
Escape to Witch Mountain

Escape from New York
The Great Escape
Halloween

Alone in the Dark
Halloween
Escape from New York

The Flesh and the Fiends
Halloween
Phenomena

Halloween
Halloween 2
Prince of Darkness

Halloween
Prince of Darkness
Wake in Fright

Prince of Darkness
The Mutations
Halloween
Old 10-15-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Not quite sure I'm ready for the hood yet, but I've got the first 2 of them out of the way... I just wish they'd varied the little guy's lines a bit.
If you smoke, I would advise you to smoke as much as possible for the hood films. They are a good laugh and def don't vary his lines much lol.

Originally Posted by Chad
Just don't in expecting anything even remotely like the original. It's a 2 and a half hour slooooooow burn.
Do I at least get more dancing and scares? Cause I'm cool with the slow burn if there is dancing and scares.

Originally Posted by lrend
House is my favorite movie and I enjoyed Rejects. I am sooooo on the fence on this because Sid has a small part due to health and I'm not sure if I want to get invested in a new character, especially since they had family members in the first one already. I'll probably watch it, but I'm torn tbh.

Originally Posted by Chad
And the winner of the first trivia question is...

Mondo Kane

Congrats Mondo! If you want to get rid of House, let me know
Old 10-15-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
If you smoke, I would advise you to smoke as much as possible for the hood films. They are a good laugh and def don't vary his lines much lol.
I don't, but thanks for the warning. The leprechaun's screeching just bugs the crap out of me.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up Summer of 84... I hope they plan on doing a sequel to this someday. I'd like to see what happens when the killer "returns"...
Old 10-15-19, 11:36 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

All the sponsors are awesome!
Old 10-15-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I don't, but thanks for the warning. The leprechaun's screeching just bugs the crap out of me.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up Summer of 84... I hope they plan on doing a sequel to this someday. I'd like to see what happens when the killer "returns"...
Just putting that in!

Edit: And watched, pretty good.

Random internet citizen said this about a potential sequel:

Spoiler:
I met all 3 directors at an alamo drafthouse screening (all very nice and very canadian by the way)...during the Q &A someone asked if they would do a sequel and i think they said no because the terror was from the ending as it was (dont want to spoil it) to make a sequel would take away some of the effect.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-16-19 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

One movie that seems to never lose power and honestly gains it year after year is the grimy The Last House On The Left (1972).

Yeah, a lot of the acting is suspect. The dialogue is insipid at times. The cop comedy duo seems out of place. The music can be bizarre and jarring and even funny. And on and on...

But all of the above works together to create a truly disturbing movie that makes you want a shower after watching it every time. I still don't know why I own this movie or why I have watched it so many times.

It is just such a scummy film. No other way to put it.
Old 10-16-19, 07:25 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched Happy Death Day 2U so you don't have to. The first watch of the month where I wanted to fast forward through it. My thought is the target audience is 13-18 year old's, so naturally i asked my high school step daughter (who loves horror) if she has watched it yet (she saw the first one). " No , the first one sucked, I am not interested."

Okay, I got a 17 year old smarter than me!
Old 10-16-19, 08:20 AM

House is my favorite movie and I enjoyed Rejects. I am sooooo on the fence on this because Sid has a small part due to health and I'm not sure if I want to get invested in a new character, especially since they had family members in the first one already. I'll probably watch it, but I'm torn tbh.
They are two of my favorite movies too and I usually watch them every year. I highly recommend watching 3 from Hell. Even though there's a new family member it didn't take away from the other movies or from Otis and Baby.
Spoiler:
They're still the main focus of the storyline and the new family member is just like the others. He's basically there to assist them and cause mayhem along with them. He kinda fit in so well that it didn't matter that he wasn't in the other two movies and I'm normally a person who cares when they change the cast. It really didn't bother me this time.
Old 10-16-19, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I watched Happy Death Day 2U so you don't have to. The first watch of the month where I wanted to fast forward through it. My thought is the target audience is 13-18 year old's, so naturally i asked my high school step daughter (who loves horror) if she has watched it yet (she saw the first one). " No , the first one sucked, I am not interested."

Thanks for the warning. I never watched the first one and then I saw the trailer for the second one, while I was watching another movie, and in the trailer they told you who the "bad guy" was in the original so that kinda ruined it for me and I decided that I would probably never watch either one.
Old 10-16-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Very cool of DVD Talk to sponsor the challenge with some prizes; much appreciated.
Congratulations to Mondo Kane for win on the first trivia!
Old 10-16-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Just putting that in!

Edit: And watched, pretty good.

Random internet citizen said this about a potential sequel:

Spoiler:
I met all 3 directors at an alamo drafthouse screening (all very nice and very canadian by the way)...during the Q &A someone asked if they would do a sequel and i think they said no because the terror was from the ending as it was (dont want to spoil it) to make a sequel would take away some of the effect.
I guess I see their point, but I'd watch the hell out of a sequel.

Old 10-16-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch

For what it was, I actually liked it. It was almost a parody of the first one. Very self-aware. I almost expected one of the characters to glance at the camera at some point.
Old 10-16-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Congrats Mondo! If you want to get rid of House, let me know

Old 10-16-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
For what it was, I actually liked it. It was almost a parody of the first one. Very self-aware. I almost expected one of the characters to glance at the camera at some point.
Yeah, I liked the Happy Death Day movies too. I watched the second one for the summer sci-fi/fantasy challenge. And genre-wise, they fit better there. 2U is much more of a sci-fi comedy caper movie than horror. I suppose if you went in expecting a scary horror slasher you might not be happy with what you got.
Old 10-16-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot the rules... does the watching a subset film only count for the checklist if you watch it on the assigned night? Or does that only apply to theme nights?
Old 10-16-19, 02:33 PM

I forgot the rules... does the watching a subset film only count for the checklist if you watch it on the assigned night? Or does that only apply to theme nights?
You can watch subset films any time. For theme nights you have to watch theme content on the prescribed day.
Old 10-16-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
You can watch subset films any time. For theme nights you have to watch theme content on the prescribed day.
Thanks! And what about anniversaries in the checklist? Does that have to be ON the day of the anniversary as well or within the week? The month? During the challenge?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I haven't done a checklist in many years and figured I'd try it out again this year.
Old 10-16-19, 02:50 PM

Thanks! And what about anniversaries in the checklist? Does that have to be ON the day of the anniversary as well or within the week? The month? During the challenge?
That's a good question, I had assumed that none of the anniversaries were precise dates and that relevant content could be viewed on any day - other than theme days.
Old 10-16-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

I just want to give a hearty to this Halloween internet radio station. I have been listening to it a good bit over the last few days and it is awesome with a crazy wide variety of stuff. Give it a shot.

http://deadair.co/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.